Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: An article my friend wrote...

(Read 6509 times)
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: An article my friend wrote...
     Reply #30 - December 07, 2008, 09:52 PM

Thanks Hassan - I appreciated your comments, will update it for the next person I come across and wants me to revert to Islam!  I find it is useful as it saves time, and puts my arguments across without a debate turning into an argument!  Humanoid and I talked about how different people find different points more convincing, due to their varying experiences in life.  Do you think I missed any points out that you find more compelling? 

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #31 - December 07, 2008, 10:59 PM

It's not just different points, though, but the frames in which their minds work. I think one of the greatest failures of the Enlightenment was that people truly believed you only needed to lay out all the facts in front of someone to make them see a certain viewpoint. Our rational mind comes loaded with emotional baggage that makes purely rational thinking difficult.

"At 8:47 I do a grenade jump off a ladder."
     Reply #32 - December 07, 2008, 11:27 PM

You make a good point.  Maybe putting forward rational arguments to some, is a waste of thought, time & paper.  There are those whose mind is not based on a rational thinking process, but more on a spirutual one.  Decisions are often based on feelings, rather than logical thought. 

I guess this element will never be convinced by our thoughts & discussions, and they are more likely to revert to another religion to promote their inner sense of spirituality, than to abandon it completely.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #33 - December 09, 2008, 08:30 PM

I am sorry that I have not been able to enter this debate earlier, but I have been busy at work. I have one or two observations to make about 'god' and his 'plan' for us ...

If 'god' is really omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent, knows everything that we will do and say ... Why have a Judgement Day? He already knows what we are going to do, so why then judge us. Before he made us he must have known what the result would be on Judgement Day for each of us - no photo finish needed there then!

Then we come to hell.

'god' says that if we don't believe in him we will go to hell and spend eternity in the flames of hell. That to me seems more than a little odd because that means that a rapist or a murderer gets to go to heaven just because he   turns to 'god' before he dies, whereas an old Chinese lady who has led a virtuous and charitable life and never done anyone any harm will go to hell to be dipped in boiling brimstone simply because she didn't worship bid 'g'!

Sorry ... I could continue with this as their is more than enough material to offer as evidence, but I am going to relax!

"If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it" From a letter Einstein wrote in English, dated 24 March 1954.
     Reply #34 - December 09, 2008, 08:47 PM

Sadly you are preaching to the converted here.   You won't get answers to these questions here,  put your thoughts on Ummah.com and let us know their response... Let me guess..

i)  this is figurative, God already knows where you're off to; it's simply a juncture between this life and the next
    ii)  the chinese lady was given plenty of chances to convert during her lifetime, but she chose not to

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »