Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Islam and bullying

(Read 4610 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Islam and bullying
     OP - December 03, 2008, 02:31 PM

I've just been reading a quite disturbing thread over on the BBC Religion & Ethics message boards.  The OP reads as follows:
    My aunt's father passed away. She has three brothers and two sisters. There is an inheritance involved and according to sharia law it has been ruled that the females will get one half the share of the male siblings. The reason Allah ordered the division this way is that women have the right to be taken care of by the males in the family. It is in Surah 4.

The inheritance is substantial and now my aunt is insisting that she get an equal share which goes against the God given law. The two other sisters have agreed to abide by sharia.

Has any one else been through this predicament before. We are afraid that if my aunt goes to British courts, I am not sure she has the right to, it will be an ugly scene because the other siblings will not accept any settlement that is not Islamic.

What have some of the other experiences been? How was the dispute resolved according to Islam and to the satisfaction of all?

Now, what disturbs me about this topic is the fact that this character thinks it's okay for his family to try and bully his aunt into ceding half her inheritance through Shari'ah law when she clearly does not want to nor should she need to, plus she really seems to need the money.

Check out the rest of the thread here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbreligion/F2213236?thread=6113779&skip=0&show=20

One of the things that finally drove me away from 'the straight path' was the way in which I was being encouraged in a bullying manner by others to adhere to the most stringent form of Islam.  I also witnessed my elderly father-in-law get 'bullied' by his youngest and most religious daughter into growing that stupid, mustacheless beard that is so popular with older, South Asian Muslim men.  I also have a sneaking suspicion that my mother-in-law, who never wore hijab until about the last 10 years or so was similarly coerced into donning the raincoat over the sari and the ginormous headscarf.

What I find quite ironic is that even though Islam teaches one to respect their elders and seek their advice, at the same time these same elders and not quite so elders are being bullied and coerced into practices or situations which they don't particularly agree with.
    How many of you who came from Muslim families have experienced this type of bullying and coercion from siblings, nieces, nephews, cousins? 

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The sleeper has awakened -  Dune

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
  • Re: Islam and bullying
     Reply #1 - December 03, 2008, 03:32 PM

Once you confirm to the kids that the book is written by a god, then they will go and get their instructions from the book and the rest of the islamic library.

In Cairo I have seen employees getting bullied into praying. Fasting. Wearing hijab. Not shaking the hands of the opposite sex. The lower class bullying each other into raising the hem of their pants.

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #2 - December 03, 2008, 04:59 PM

She needs to stop being greedy and materialistic. No one has a "default" right to inheritance, you need to amass your own wealth, the hard-way like I do, buy working for my dad.
     Reply #3 - December 04, 2008, 02:45 AM

She needs to stop being greedy and materialistic. No one has a "default" right to inheritance, you need to amass your own wealth, the hard-way like I do, buy working for my dad.

Can we send him back to damnation for trolling? and the typos.

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #4 - December 04, 2008, 06:26 AM

Your joking arent you ? There's no way that statement could be serious  Smiley

Life is a sexually transmitted disease which is invariably fatal.
     Reply #5 - December 04, 2008, 07:06 AM

So when your old man pops his clogs you don't want your inheritance then? OK splosher I'll have it dance

If the business is in his will you can come and work for me Cheesy
     Reply #6 - December 04, 2008, 07:51 AM

One of the things that finally drove me away from 'the straight path' was the way in which I was being encouraged in a bullying manner by others to adhere to the most stringent form of Islam. 

I tried for years to battle this bullying. I finally realised that the only answer that could really silence them was, "I'm sorry but the Qur'an is not God's Word!"
     Reply #7 - December 04, 2008, 07:51 AM

You need to stop being an idiot.
     Reply #8 - December 04, 2008, 08:04 AM

You need to stop being an idiot.

Cheesy

I chose to get circumcised at 17, don't tell me I never believed.
     Reply #9 - December 04, 2008, 11:54 AM

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy... Jester of the week, nay, the month or year!!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
     Reply #10 - December 04, 2008, 12:40 PM

Dammit Tut!  Stop hijacking my threads or I'll have to go all Irish on you!
     Tongue

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The sleeper has awakened -  Dune

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
     Reply #11 - December 04, 2008, 05:49 PM

Damn him Damnit. Think of Nour's feelings.

Reply #12 - December 04, 2008, 07:51 PM

You remind me of the guy who holds up an invisible red card to the ref to get a player of the opposition sent off.
     Reply #13 - December 04, 2008, 08:14 PM

You remind me of the guy who holds up an invisible red card to the ref to get a player of the opposition sent off.

Yes Iris, whatever Hassan just said, only your card is actually visible.

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »