Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Forced To Marry - BBC Documentary

(Read 18815 times)
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Forced To Marry - BBC Documentary
     Reply #30 - December 06, 2008, 07:42 AM

Ofcourse there is a diff.
    My father one day suggested 'How abt u go for a dinner with my friend's son?'
    That lasted upto several dinners.

And we got engaged.......... That was the best period... and then married.

I guess, it is still the bet period. Don't know about if hubby will say the same  bunny
     Reply #31 - December 06, 2008, 05:46 PM

I don?t believe in god therefore also think marriages are a waste of time. Marriage without religion is like rice pudding without the jam or like tea without the sugar. I think all the cultural rituals that go with marriage is also a complete pile of pooh.

oh Muslim, oh servant of Allah, this is a Jew behind me, come and kill him!"
     Reply #32 - December 06, 2008, 09:04 PM

I don?t believe in god therefore also think marriages are a waste of time. Marriage without religion is like rice pudding without the jam or like tea without the sugar. I think all the cultural rituals that go with marriage is also a complete pile of pooh.

Maybe you should think about commitment a bit more. look at The Humanist take on marriage.

Religion is ignorance giftwrapped in lyricism.
     Reply #33 - December 07, 2008, 03:05 AM

Today's  Independent has an article about a London based Pakistani doctor who's being held against her will by her parents - they want to force her into marriage because they objected to her relationship with a hindu ( looks like the multicultural message hasn't reached everyone...)
         The government have apparently decided to charge her parents under the new Forced Marriage law . I think this is the first time it's been used so let's hope it works out .
     Reply #34 - December 08, 2008, 06:58 PM

Today's  Independent has an article about a London based Pakistani doctor who's being held against her will by her parents - they want to force her into marriage because they objected to her relationship with a hindu ( looks like the multicultural message hasn't reached everyone...)
         The government have apparently decided to charge her parents under the new Forced Marriage law . I think this is the first time it's been used so let's hope it works out .

I believe the doctor is from bangladesh and not pakistan

I was not blessed with the ability to have blind faith. I cant beleive something just because someone says its true.
     Reply #35 - December 08, 2008, 07:04 PM

'Held against her will' looks like kidnap to me. Let's hope the case draws a clear line in the sand.

Reply #36 - December 09, 2008, 10:49 AM

You can't kidnap your on kids technically.
     Reply #37 - December 09, 2008, 10:53 AM

Well, as I understand the report, Tut, she's a doctor and is an adult who is being held against her will, so I suppose the term should be 'unlawfully detained'.

Reply #38 - December 09, 2008, 01:52 PM

Not necessarily, marriage has existed before religion and it pre-dates written texts. The rituals that go with it are however a different story. I know there are some animals that have a long term companion so I'm quite sure marriage was something that evolved with us. Unfortunately religion nuts have turned into their own thing; banning gay marriage yet it's still ok for atheists to get married Roll Eyes

I'll never understand forced marriages, in the case of females you could be condemning your own kid to be raped multiple times all in the name of honour. Families like these deserve to be shot.
     Reply #39 - December 09, 2008, 02:28 PM

Marriage, of a kind , is very common amongst other animals and their commitment to each other is recognised by others in their extended family groups in many ways.
    Birds of many species, for eg, pair for life with that fact acknowledged by others of the same spp.
    The thing that they all have in common as far as I know, is that they choose their own partners in monogamy.

Reply #40 - December 09, 2008, 04:18 PM

This is what a guy with an Iq of 462 would come up with? When referring to an adult?

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #41 - December 14, 2008, 06:14 PM

Well, as I understand the report, Tut, she's a doctor and is an adult who is being held against her will, so I suppose the term should be 'unlawfully detained'.

Well, we have a result on this one today. The high court in Bangladesh (she's not Pakistani after all) has ordered her parents to return her passport and allow her to return to the UK. Seems she's 32 years old and was tricked into going back because of the old  'your mother is ill' trick. Once there they tried to marry her off to some guy she'd never even met.
    The court in Bangladesh cited the new British law on forced marriages as grounds for their decision. So the law has been tested and has thus far worked.

• There is hope - Doctor facing "forced marriage" returning to UK
     Reply #42 - December 15, 2008, 10:39 AM

http://uk.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUKTRE4BE1T120081215

My favorite part of the story is her parents trying to get her declared insane for wanting to marry an Hindu Bangladeshi man in the UK.

"Your honor, our little doctor daughter must be insane, lock her up in a mental hospital.  We already told her that we will kill her if she marries an non-Muslim.  Imagine, she knows she faces death and she still want to carry on with this polytheist, she must be crazy!!!"
  • Re: There is hope - Doctor facing "forced marriage" returning to UK
     Reply #43 - December 15, 2008, 10:44 AM

Her parents are the ones that should be in a padded cell.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
  • Re: There is hope - Doctor facing "forced marriage" returning to UK
     Reply #44 - December 15, 2008, 11:59 AM

http://uk.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUKTRE4BE1T120081215

My favorite part of the story is her parents trying to get her declared insane for wanting to marry an Hindu Bangladeshi man in the UK.

"Your honor, our little doctor daughter must be insane, lock her up in a mental hospital.  We already told her that we will kill her if she marries an non-Muslim.  Imagine, she knows she faces death and she still want to carry on with this polytheist, she must be crazy!!!"

Why has this post been added to the post about the BBC documentary?  This post links to a different story the case of the doctor from Bangladeshi. 
     Reply #45 - December 15, 2008, 12:06 PM

Read the posts on this page. Her case has already been discussed in this thread.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #46 - December 15, 2008, 12:27 PM

thanks.
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »