Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Some Imams 'biased against women'

(Read 3386 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Some Imams 'biased against women'
     OP - December 16, 2008, 01:10 PM

I am shocked that the BBC allowed such politically incorrect stuff on their website.

From my experience the head line should be either:

MOST Imams 'biased against women'  or  ISLAM 'biased against women'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7783627.stm

A Muslim think tank has found some UK Imams discriminate against women when enforcing Islamic Sharia law.
    Scholars at the Centre for Islamic Pluralism (CIP) interviewed 90 Muslims in London, the West Midlands, Lancashire and West Yorkshire.

They found some women did not get fair hearings in forced marriage, arranged marriage and domestic violence matters.

It comes after an NHS doctor was freed in Bangladesh following claims she was being held there for a forced marriage.

Sharia law governs every aspect of a Muslim's life, and Imams or scholars give out rulings on how to live by God's wishes. Some mosques hold Sharia courts.

The CIP's international director and its report's author Dr Irfan Al-Alawi said women seeking help in situations like forced marriages often turned to Imams for a ruling on what to do.

"Our research shows that domestic violence and forced marriages seem to be the dominant problems that women are facing and seeking Sharia rulings on.

"In every case it is a male who is the defendant coming from India, Pakistan or Bangladesh.

"Some ladies have approached the Imams and the Imams... have encouraged the ladies to stay with their husband or with their in-laws, whereby they have a duty bound under the Sharia."

He said he knew of a 15-year-old girl in Pakistan who was tricked into marriage over the telephone with a 40-year-old man from Sheffield, who had the mental age of a four-year-old child.

"The Home Office refused to recognise the validity of the marriage but the Islamic Sharia Council in Britain accepted it," said Dr Al-Alawi...

• Re: Some Imams 'biased against women'
     Reply #1 - December 16, 2008, 01:37 PM

I am shocked that the BBC allowed such politically incorrect stuff on their website.

From my experience the head line should be either:

MOST Imams 'biased against women'  or  ISLAM 'biased against women'

I don't think the BBC want to face bomb threats by muslims Tongue

(Not sure why you think it is politically incorrect though, I thought it was fine and raised an important issue).
     Reply #2 - December 16, 2008, 02:10 PM

I would not say it is the imam's fault for being perceived as biased against women. It is the scripture in their hands that does not give them a way to assist the women who come to them.

It is not like the koran and sunna has some bad stuff for women 'on earth' which is balanced by some good stuff. Most people assume the balance exists because it is a "comforting truth" for them.  Because it is much more comforting to realize that a religious book has some balance in it.

However the reality not so comforting. And that is extremely unfortunate. The book that was passed to us from a 7th century warrior culture, does not have pretty much anything of value, in favor of women in the 21st century. And surely very little (nothing?) to counter-balance the injustice and insults to women on Earth throughout the book.

I only found 3 items that are in favor of women here on earth, and the 3 items were not of any real vale. (i.e. do not bury your daughters, which is covered by ALL secular laws under the murder laws). Perhaps someone on this site who used to look at the koran with more favorable eyes then mine, could have found more perhaps?

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #3 - December 16, 2008, 02:27 PM

The problem is the news media are either scared to reveal the truth about what Islam says on certain critical issues or they are just not bothered to research the facts and the practical implementation many aspects of the ideology and make candid, analytical conclusions as to the source of the issues.

Simply, an article like this requires the reporter to ask some basic questions:

- Why are women discriminated against?
     - Where can these discrimnation be found in abundance?
     - Who are the main culprits and who suffers?
     - What parts of theology informs this descrimination?
     - How is this descrimination implemented?

These are very simple questions to answer if reporters are willing to go the distance and really make a dent in the plight of women or certain ostracised groups within such communities.

However they are only concerned with being politically correct and not causing offence.

Knowing Islam is the only true religion we do not allow propagation of any other religion. How can we allow building of churches and temples when their religion is wrong? Thus we will not allow such wrong things in our countries. - Zakir Naik
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »