Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Hello

(Read 6478 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Hello
     OP - November 29, 2008, 09:45 AM

Hi,

My name is Tom, I'm from San Francisco, CA. I am an Apostate of Islam. I was born into a loving Muslim family, but I never bought the idea of creationism from the Quran. I tried to understand the Quran, and the Hadiths as best as I could, trying to make coherent connections with reality, but I was never able to, because there isn't any. I personally don't believe in any religion as being our best best understanding of our origins, and the universe.

As an Atheist, and a former Muslim, I look forward to getting to know everyone here. I was surprised to find such a site. I actually stumbled upon it, by good accident.

-Tom

Call me TAP TAP! for I am THE ASS PATTER!
  • Re: Hello
     Reply #1 - November 29, 2008, 09:47 AM

Hello Tom, welcome to the forum.  Smiley

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #2 - November 29, 2008, 09:56 AM

Welcome Tom.

Reply #3 - November 29, 2008, 10:00 AM

Welcome Tom. Looking forward to what you have to contribute. Smiley

I chose to get circumcised at 17, don't tell me I never believed.
     Reply #4 - November 29, 2008, 10:25 AM

Welcome Smiley

I'd say the whole deal didn't much make sense to me either, in the end, but I was quite religiously minded until I realised that. I'm an atheist too.

"...every imperfection in man is a bond with heaven..." - Karl Marx
     Reply #5 - November 29, 2008, 11:44 AM

Welcome Tom, at least now I am no longer the newest member of this site! You are fortunate indeed to have rationalised your thoughts so clearly whilst still so young ... I wish that I had!

"If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it" From a letter Einstein wrote in English, dated 24 March 1954.
     Reply #6 - November 29, 2008, 11:59 AM

Hi Tommy, Pleased you've come in. Like you, I think I always doubted, but I started the real journey when I was 15.
    Takes a while to become as sure as any religious person that you are right, but keep an open mind and always look for evidence or the lack of it.

Religion is ignorance giftwrapped in lyricism.
     Reply #7 - November 29, 2008, 12:31 PM

Welcome Tom, I'm glad you found us  Afro
     Reply #8 - November 29, 2008, 12:36 PM

Welcome to the forum Tom.  Afro

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #9 - November 29, 2008, 01:59 PM

Welcome Tommy. I'm glad you found us.

German ex-Muslim forumMy YouTubeList of Ex-Muslims
    Wikis: en de fr ar tr
    CEMB-Chat
    I'm on an indefinite break...
     Reply #10 - November 29, 2008, 07:40 PM

Hi Tom. Feel free to make yourself at home.  Smiley

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #11 - November 30, 2008, 01:36 AM

Welcome Tom.

Tom which version of islam were you born in and which did you experiment with on your way out if any?

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #12 - November 30, 2008, 06:42 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I look forward to contributing to this site.

Welcome Tom.

Tom which version of islam were you born in and which did you experiment with on your way out if any?

I was born into a Sunni family. My experiences with Muslims were mixed. Most of the people I've known in my life time, who were Sunnis, were typically good people. However, I now realize it was because they didn't speak of religion much, and kept Islam somewhat private to themselves only.

It was not until I was about 15 or 16 when I really started to research Islam. I met other Muslims over the internet, and in real life. Part of my research was to get to know the opinions of other people. It wasn't long before I ran into Salafis- who are by far the most hardcore of Muslims-at least, in my eyes.

I don't have anything against Muslims. They are just as any other people. I found them appearing in both sides of the Sane-Insanity spectrum. If it brings happiness to their lives, then so be it. However, I do not have much respect for Islam. I can't grasp how the supposed 'creator of the universe' could be so utterly wrong, and incredibly vague in his book about science. Not to mention appear so embarrassingly childish, and incompetent in governing human nature, and laws of humanity.

Perhaps this answers your question. Perhaps it doesn't. Please let me know if I've misunderstood your question, and completely went out of the field.

Cheers.

Call me TAP TAP! for I am THE ASS PATTER!
     Reply #13 - November 30, 2008, 07:21 AM

Hello and welcome to the board
     Reply #14 - November 30, 2008, 10:41 AM

My experiences with Muslims were mixed. Most of the people I've known in my life time, who were Sunnis, were typically good people. However, I now realize it was because they didn't speak of religion much, and kept Islam somewhat private to themselves only.

It was not until I was about 15 or 16 when I really started to research Islam. I met other Muslims over the internet, and in real life. Part of my research was to get to know the opinions of other people. It wasn't long before I ran into Salafis- who are by far the most hardcore of Muslims-at least, in my eyes.

I don't have anything against Muslims. They are just as any other people. I found them appearing in both sides of the Sane-Insanity spectrum. If it brings happiness to their lives, then so be it. However, I do not have much respect for Islam. I can't grasp how the supposed 'creator of the universe' could be so utterly wrong, and incredibly vague in his book about science. Not to mention appear so embarrassingly childish, and incompetent in governing human nature, and laws of humanity.

I think you'll find most Ex-Muslims have similar experiences to yours.

I've come to believe that ex-Muslims can play a role in to bringing sanity and balance to the debate about Islam, which sadly is often led by extremes on both sides - the haters and the fanatics.

As ex-Muslims, we know that Muslims are mostly, good, loving and decent people and our criticisms of Islam do not come out of any sort of a position of racism,  bigotry or ignorance, but from experience and understanding.

I hope we can contribute to a more balanced and rational debate about Islam  Afro
     Reply #15 - December 01, 2008, 12:00 AM

Welcome to the form Tommy.  Is that you in your avatar?

The way you stumbled on this forum reminds me of when I was doubting Islam and desperate to find like-minded people.  I typed words like "ex-Muslim", "former Muslim", "leaving Islam" etc in Google and I was surprised to see websites dedicated to people who have left Islam.

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »