Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Today at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Today at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Hello to one and all ...

(Read 7354 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Hello to one and all ...
     OP - November 28, 2008, 02:35 PM

This title would come as no surprise to those who know me well. The most common reaction from those closest to me is either to split their sides laughing or look at me in horror! Now, I would not want you to get a bad impression of me from day one, I am probably not as fruitcakey as I am making out, but I do have my moments, even I concede to that. It would be best for all concerned if I mapped out a sort of biography, which will include me (obviously), why I am here (obviously) and the hidden details about me (not so obviously).

I am 56 years old, Anglo-Saxon, male and now separated from my lovely Moroccan wife. I have two children from my first marriage, which was more like being married to a volcano, to be honest. Hafida came as a complete blessing as a second wife as she was so sweet and lovely. I have two children with her, Nassim and Imran, and they are just wicked!I have never married under false pretences and (I did say that there would be some not-so-obvious bits) each of my wives has known before the event that I am bisexual. That's me and that's how I was kitted out from the day I first realised what made the body tick! However, before I met Hafida I had renounced Christianity and converted to Islam, on a beach (plage 29km actually) north of Agadir. (Have I still got your attention?) So when I explained to Hafida that I was a bisexual it was with the happy codicil that as a devout Muslim, which I was (really, I know it is difficult to believe, but believe) at that time, I had turned my back on being a zaml! Two children, a separation and a renunciation of Islam later, I am now beginning to think that a male/male relationship might be better for me.

I am a teacher of languages and I am currently reading for a postgraduate degree in Media-Assisted Language Teaching. I already have my dip. and grad. in ESL. I speak some Spanish, more French, some Moroccan Arabic and far too much English for my own good. I have thee children living with me, so I am a single-parent, at the moment anyway. I taught in language schools in Agadir and in England and I worked for a UAE military school here in the UK as an ESOL teacher.

Why did I renounce Islam? That is a complex question. If you had seen me in 1996/7 in Agadir I was always, and I mean always in a djellabah. I prayed at the Mohammed V mosque in Talborjt and I owned more Qu'urans than I care to think about. I was widely-known in Agadir as a devout, practising Muslim and I tried really hard to keep my faith. I suppose the real breaking point was, if I am honest, 9/11. Not the act itself (although it was horrific and callous) but the reaction of the people in Agadir at that time. My son Nassim was born in July 2001 and, to help family and cultural bonding, Hafida went to Morocco in August when Nassim was 4 weeks old. The atrocities came 2 weeks later and, naturally, I was extremely concerned and anxious about my wife and child. I telephoned her and asked her how she and Nassim were coping and she said, after a silence (this still makes me cry when I remember it), "we are fine, there's a huge celebration here at the moment because of what has happened in New York . People are out in the streets giving out sweets to children." I was sick, physically and literally sick on hearing that. That one detail made me refocus everything I had ever learnt, not just Islam, but 'god' (I now always de-capitalise the word and put it in single quotation marks - evident signs that I no longer accept the concept) and the hereafter. I am not going to go into this too deeply now because it would fill pages, but within six months I was an atheist. I couldn't stand the hypocrisy of Muslim adherents who would not accept Islam being questioned. I thought about nothing but reasoning through the whole 'god' belief structure and it suddenly became nothing more than nonsense. It was as if a light had been turned on somewhere that had never been turned on before. It lit corners of my mind that made me cry with relief. I came to the realisation that I am what I am, and nothing more. Just as I am so thankful that that light was turned on, I will, I know, be thankful when it is turned off at the end, because it will have served its purpose.

I was so happy to hear about the CEMB last year and I joined straight away. I am now an ardent atheist and just knowing that the CEMB is there has helped me to confront the demons that any Muslim would have (though this must be far greater for some of you) on waving Islam goodbye (well, mine was a two-fingered wave!). Sorry, I almost forgot to tell you, I am also a vegetarian of 40 years standing (some Muslims hated me not eating meat) and I will never be anything else but vegetarian for the rest of my life. The same goes for my atheist beliefs, I am now a non-theist.

"If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it" From a letter Einstein wrote in English, dated 24 March 1954.
  • Re: Hello to one and all ...
     Reply #1 - November 28, 2008, 02:40 PM

Hello Henry, welcome to the forum. Smiley

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #2 - November 28, 2008, 04:06 PM

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I remain.
     Reply #3 - November 28, 2008, 05:09 PM

Wow! Fascinating story, Henrypage - thanks so much for sharing  Afro

Oh, and welcome Smiley
     Reply #4 - November 28, 2008, 05:42 PM

Welcome.  piggy

Interesting story, especially about the wives knowing about your bisexuality. I've still never met a Muslim who is okay with homosexuality in the least. Except for some kids, but other than them...none!

"Poor human nature, what horrible crimes have been committed in thy name!"
    - Emma Goldman
     Reply #5 - November 28, 2008, 06:19 PM

Welcome Henry, nice story.

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #6 - November 28, 2008, 07:17 PM

victory Hi. Looking forward to hearing more from you.

[this space for rent]
     Reply #7 - November 28, 2008, 07:30 PM

victory Hi. Looking forward to hearing more from you.

ditto
     Reply #8 - November 28, 2008, 07:58 PM

This ain't a gay support forum. Just sayin' its an atheist forum, so please keep the homosexual talk to a minimum. I am a vegetarian too, and also an atheist or a cultrual Muslim, and also a bisexual (or curious) anyway welcome to the forum.

Tut:  you'll be on your way back to the pit if you don't keep your mouth connected to a functioning brain. cool2
     Reply #9 - November 28, 2008, 08:41 PM

This ain't a gay support forum. Just sayin' its an atheist forum, so please keep the homosexual talk to a minimum. I am a vegetarian too, and also an atheist or a cultrual Muslim, and also a bisexual (or curious) anyway welcome to the forum.

You can be such an idiot sometimes King Tut.

This is an Ex-Muslim forum - end of story.

We welcome all ex-Muslims - regardless of their beliefs now and regardless of their sexual orientation.

You do NOT speak for the forum, so don't act like you do.

Reply #10 - November 28, 2008, 08:54 PM

STFU  Roll Eyes

Anyway, welcome from a moroccan ex muslim lol  Tongue

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #11 - November 28, 2008, 09:05 PM

Wellcome Henrypage, as one atheist, ESOL teacher to another (Oh, and I've had 2 wives too). I think you'll enjoy it here.
    Don't mind Tut, he'll be telling you he's gay tomorrow.

Religion is ignorance giftwrapped in lyricism.
     Reply #12 - November 28, 2008, 09:57 PM

Welcome!! Wink

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshiped anything but himself."
    ~Sir Richard Francis Burton

"I think religion is just like smoking: Both invented by people, addictive, harmful, and kills!"
    ~RIBS
     Reply #13 - November 28, 2008, 09:59 PM

Thank you - all of you - for being so welcoming. I really hadn't expected to find such a sense of community at CEMB and it is really reassuring to know that I can chat to others who have had similar events in their lives.

King Tut, please don't be offended by what I am saying. I do not go to gay fora neither do I go about explaining my sexuality to all and sundry. I have done so in this forum, on this occasion, because it is relevant to my introduction. I am not gay, I am bisexual. The importance of my sexuality is how inappropriate it is in an Islamic context. As this is my introduction to you all, I felt it necessary to be completely frank, to explain all of the factors that led to my decision to apostacy and atheism. Rejecting the notion of 'god' is never easy because the illogicality of our  faith is often, logically, innate and inherent in each of us. It is the birth to grave nature of the experience of religion that makes most of us fearful of what lies beyond the comfort zone of believing in 'god'. However, luckily for us, events in our lives have shaped us and provided us with the courage to speak out. I find it rather surprising that you feel that I should not speak about my sexuality when I am here to announce something that would get me stoned to death in a number of countries. Hassan, thank you for your kind words, but I can assure you, all of you, that I am not easily dissuaded from being myself. Not any more.

Here is the right place to tell you about me and my sexuality, but possibly not in other CEMB fora. Relevance to the topic is fundamental. I will give you two situations: In a forum discussing God and Science,  sexuality may well be inappropriate, whereas in a forum where the discussion is about the two young , gay teenagers, one a minor even at the time of his execution, who were publicly hung in Iran in 2005, well I am sure that it will not come as surprise to anyone here that there the sexuality of the contributor may well be relevant. He/she may well be able to bring something to that debate that hinges on such a personal insight to the topic. I hope that I have made my position clear.

I am really looking forward to bringing some of my hypotheses to the fora here. I am particularly interested developing lines of enquiry about the inconsistency of Abrahamic deity and religions. You will find that I will be an extremely active contributor on the fora, as I already am on the Facebook discussion boards concerning religion. Look me up on Facebook as Henry Page, living in Newhaven, East Sussex.

"If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it" From a letter Einstein wrote in English, dated 24 March 1954.
     Reply #14 - November 28, 2008, 10:30 PM

Hello and welcome Henry, and very personable story too.

I was not blessed with the ability to have blind faith. I cant beleive something just because someone says its true.
     Reply #15 - November 29, 2008, 01:58 AM

Hiya Henry. Don't worry about Tut. He's part of the furniture, sort of like a manky old sofa that the cats sharpen their claws on. Afro

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #16 - November 29, 2008, 03:37 AM

Welcome to the forum Henry!  dance
     Reply #17 - November 30, 2008, 12:55 PM

Welcome to the forum Henry!  dance

thank you

Reply #18 - December 03, 2008, 12:58 AM

Sorry, but when ISN'T he an idiot? Lmao at Tut being bisexual, I learn something new about him everyday.

"Poor human nature, what horrible crimes have been committed in thy name!"
    - Emma Goldman
     Reply #19 - December 03, 2008, 07:12 PM

Sorry, but when ISN'T he an idiot?

lol true... but he does have his moments.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »