Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Yoga can corrupt your faith

(Read 8680 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Yoga can corrupt your faith
     OP - November 24, 2008, 07:52 PM

Malaysia clerics issue yoga fatwa

Millions of people in Malaysia have been banned from doing yoga because of fears it could corrupt Muslims.

The Islamic authorities have issued a ruling, known as a fatwa, instructing the country's Muslims to avoid yoga because of its Hindu roots.

To most people yoga is simply a sport - a stress-busting start to the day.

Malaysia's National Fatwa Council said it goes further than that and that elements of the Indian religion are inherent in yoga.

Announcing the decision, the council chairman Abdul Shukor Husin said practices like chanting and what he called worshipping were inappropriate and they could "destroy the faith of a Muslim".

The ruling is not legally binding but many of Malaysia's Muslims abide by fatwas.

Yoga classes here are filled with mostly non-Muslim Malaysians of Chinese or Indian descent, but in the major cities it is not uncommon to see several Muslim women at classes.

Prayers and gym

For Muslims across Malaysia the day starts at 5.30 in the morning, as the call to prayer goes out.

A handful of the most devout arrive at a mosque in the western outskirts of Kuala Lumpur.

Over the other side of the road, in the shadow of the Mosque's golden dome, a few others start arriving to start their day - at the gym.

Each is carrying a yoga mat, slung over their shoulder.

Adam Junid is a Muslim Malaysian who does both - prayers and gym, specifically yoga.

An engineer in his 30s, he goes to a weekly class for about 30 people.

"I don't think it interferes with the religion at all," he says.

"In fact it helps you, makes you healthy and more aligned and it helps you become self aware," he adds.

Adam is a rarity because it is mostly women and not many Muslims who do this.

"The yoga masters repeat that it actually can be quite compatible with religion," he said. "It makes you a better person."

Yoga comes in many forms. For some it is a stress-busting sport. For others a serious bit of soul searching.

What Adam does once a week is the serious stuff. The class I sat in on was two hours long.

Full article

You just can't make this bullshit up  Cheesy

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
  • Re: Yoga can corrupt your faith
     Reply #1 - November 24, 2008, 08:03 PM

I heard the same earlier this year. I believe, it was from some group of Pentecostal Christians.

Remember kiddies, if you try to make yourself healthier, you're going to hell.

Roll Eyes

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I remain.
     Reply #2 - November 24, 2008, 08:05 PM

Oh that's nothing. My grandfather used to think my mum was in danger of being influenced by Satan because she did yoga. Really.  yes

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #3 - November 24, 2008, 08:27 PM

Roll Eyes I can't believe how much crap muslims have to put up with. When I was muslim we just wrote these guys off for being crazy, but then the kuffar use this to laugh at all of us. That is just one stupid muslim. finmad

I chose to get circumcised at 17, don't tell me I never believed.
     Reply #4 - November 24, 2008, 08:36 PM

My grandfather was Christian.  grin12

Reply #5 - November 24, 2008, 08:52 PM

I heard about some Muslims banning Yoga back when I was a Muslim - I will say what I said then - Morons!
     Reply #6 - November 25, 2008, 09:14 AM

It was yoga that led to my apostasy, seriously, I stretched, I bent, I mellowed and then my faith came crumbling down around me.  bunny

Reply #7 - November 25, 2008, 09:59 AM

I used to be a Buddhist monk until I discovered yoga. It led me to heroin addiction, whoremongering, violence, depravity and devil worship. All sorts of fun. Yoga rocks. dance

Reply #8 - November 25, 2008, 10:08 AM

But, at one level Yoga can be shirk and Kufr if Muslims do it.
     parrot
     Reply #9 - November 25, 2008, 10:09 AM

I used to be a Buddhist monk until I discovered yoga. It led me to heroin addiction, whoremongering, violence, depravity and devil worship. All sorts of fun. Yoga rocks. dance

Added to that my pork consumption and I was wife swapping, swinging my way straight to hell.  Cheesy

Reply #10 - November 25, 2008, 10:16 AM

But, at one level Yoga can be shirk and Kufr if Muslims do it.
     parrot

See, that's another good reason to do yoga. Afro

Reply #11 - November 25, 2008, 12:19 PM

Yoga cures ED .....  thnkyu

Cheesy Cheesy

I was not blessed with the ability to have blind faith. I cant beleive something just because someone says its true.
     Reply #12 - November 25, 2008, 12:21 PM

Well, if yoga destroys one's faith, then their faith was weak to begin with, IMO!

Yoga didn't exist in Arabia at the time of the Prophet (PBUH) and therefore he never practiced it so there is another reason for any god fearing Muslim not to practice yoga.  Back to archery, horse riding and foot racing (with women behind men, of course) for the lot of them!

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The sleeper has awakened -  Dune

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
     Reply #13 - November 25, 2008, 12:48 PM

Yoga didn't exist in Arabia at the time of the Prophet (PBUH) and therefore he never practiced it so there is another reason for any god fearing Muslim not to practice yoga.

Tongue I see that being only the extreme converts. Just because Muhammad never had a cheese burger doesn't mean a muslim cannot has. Tongue

I chose to get circumcised at 17, don't tell me I never believed.
     Reply #14 - November 25, 2008, 02:42 PM

Rakha replaces Hindu mantras with Islamic chants
    Muslim convert introduces 'Islamic Yoga' to UK
    (Clicky for piccy!)
    Rakha uses elements of yoga, tai chi and Islamic prayer (File)

CAIRO (Marwa Awad)

After searching for a year for a fitness routine compatible with her Islamic faith, Fatima Ismael, a 32-year-old British mother of three discovered Rakha, a new yoga-like workout that incorporates Islamic chants rather than Hindu mantras.

The new Islam-inspired total body fitness routine, designed by a British convert, may be the yoga alternative Muslims are searching for following a fatwa, or religious ruling, by a Malaysian sheikh denouncing yoga as un-Islamic.

Rakha, the Arabic term for prosperity, is gaining popularity among British Muslims eager for healthy lifestyles. A basic routine begins stretches and light cardiovascular exercise, which raises energy and increases awareness.

This is followed by a series of steps emulating prayer movements mixed in with tai chi techniques. Yoga breathing and stretching techniques are used throughout the routine to help center the body and relax.

Instead of Hindu mantras, anasheeds or Islam-inspired religious hymns are used to trigger the spiritual state of mind.

Fitness and Islam

“I feel much better on the whole, spiritually and physically. My body’s stamina improved and I am certainly more patient with my children,” Ismael said laughing.

Rakha was created by Anthea Kissoon, a British convert to Islam and fitness expert, who spent the past 12 years educating Muslims about the importance of health and fitness and will launch a Rakha training center early next year.

"Rakha fuses the benefits of breathing and stretching techniques of yoga and the slow movement of tai chi, while incorporating elements of Islamic prayer to achieve a holistic Islamic experience," Kissoon told AlArabiya.net.

Rakha movements are based on the positions of the five daily Islamic prayers, which requires movement of all parts of the body in an easy to follow, relaxing way.

“People don’t realize how meditative the Muslim daily prayer can be, and how the bodily movements the Prophet taught make for a natural exercise that revitalizes the body,” she explained.

Maintaining a healthy and fit body is a requirement in Islam, which teaches a Muslim that his or her body is a gift from Allah, according to Sheikh Fawzi Zifzaf of al-Azhar University.

“Following that is being accountable for one’s body in terms of remaining healthy. This is why there is bodily benefit in Islamic prayer, which incorporates body movement,” he told AlArabiya.net.

Yoga risks

Kissoon’s new fitness regime may be a saving grace to yoga lovers as it comes at a critical juncture following issued Saturday a fatwa by the National Fatwa Council of Malaysia forbidding yoga.

Abdul Shukor Husin, chair of the council forbid Muslims from doing yoga because the recitation of mantras, “erode the Muslim faith in the religion” since they encourage a union with God considered blasphemous in Islam, he said.

While yoga enthusiasts and some Muslim leaders have contested the fatwa, for Kissoon it “highlighted the fissure between the spiritual state and the physical state of the Muslim yoga lover.”

Hamid Sakawi, another Rakha trainer who teaches alongside Kissoon, agreed.

"Advanced levels of yoga necessitate higher states of being and awareness. Those higher states are taught through mantras that condition the human mind and infuse it with a particular philosophy which does not always line up with Islam," he said.

However, one Yoga trainer in Cairo, Walid Sabry, noted that aligning the spiritual and physical should not present dilemma for Muslim yoga devotees.

“Yoga is an exercise that aims to achieve total wellbeing. Its religious aspects can easily be avoided if the person wishes to refrain from them,” he told AlArabiya.net.

But others welcome the new exercise for both its physical and spiritual components.

“Establishing a new technique that suits Muslims is the best decision because it resolves the spiritual challenges yoga puts on Muslims who follow it seriously,” said Salma Cook, a Muslim woman who trained with Kissoon and now resides in Cairo.

"People follow yoga without having enough knowledge and so they get caught up in chants and meditations," she told AlArabiya.net.

Defiance and certification

Developing an Islam-compliant fitness routine was not all fun and games, Kissoon said as she recalled the frustrations of promoting Rakha.

Campaigning for the yoga alternative took six years of hard work and persistence to make it a reality, said Kissoon, adding that she met with resistance from some members of the British Muslim community.

"Some in the Muslim the community said I was leading Muslims astray, others warned that they would shut down my school if I went ahead and opened one," she recalled.

Yet the demand for an Islamic alternative to yoga was greater than the resistance and Kissoon said she found tremendous interest from young and old Muslim men and women eager to improve their lives through exercise and meditation.

Rakha is a professionally certified fitness therapy under the Complementary Medicine Association (CMA), the largest organization in the world offering alternative health and therapy.

“Such a step was important in order to begin training professionally,” said Kissoon who will begin offering Rakha courses at her new London-based center Natural Health, Nature’s Finest in addition to private training sessions and workshops.

Rakha courses at the center begin in January 2009 in the U.K. and are open to Muslims and non-Muslims alike.

"Making this happen is a miracle," she said.

I was not blessed with the ability to have blind faith. I cant beleive something just because someone says its true.
     Reply #15 - November 25, 2008, 02:49 PM

I think 'certified' fitness course just about sums it up.

Religion is ignorance giftwrapped in lyricism.
     Reply #16 - November 25, 2008, 04:41 PM

Is it "Rakha" or "Rak ha"?

Rakha has no meaning. Rak Ha means "Bending over" or more like "Kneeling". It is the name muslim assign to the islamic prayer.

If he picked "Rak Ha", then he is a smart cookie, no one will be able to call it unislamic. I guess It is all a matter of branding at the end.

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #17 - November 26, 2008, 09:40 AM

I guess its true... I did yoga a couple of times, and now I am faithless... but I still suck at the difficult yoga positions...  Cheesy
     Reply #18 - November 26, 2008, 12:58 PM

Malaysia leader: Yoga for Muslims OK without chant
    KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) — Malaysia's leader assured Muslims on Wednesday they can perform yoga if they do not chant religious mantras — an apparent effort to assuage public anger over an Islamic body's ban of the ancient Indian exercise.

Last week, the National Fatwa Council said that elements of Hinduism in the practice could corrupt Muslims. Many ordinary Muslims responded by saying they had been performing yoga for years without losing their faith.

Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi told the Bernama news agency that Muslims who were interested in the health benefits of yoga could continue practicing as long as they do not chant.

"I wish to state that a physical regime with no elements of worship can continue, meaning, it is not banned. I believe that Muslims are not easily swayed into polytheism," Bernama quoted Abdullah as saying.

Abdullah's aide, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to make public statements, said the prime minister wanted to curb confusion about the body's edict.

Council representatives could not immediately be reached for comment.

The prime minister's statement is unlikely to be considered an affront to the council because he did not criticize the edict.

Decisions by the Fatwa Council are not legally binding until they are enshrined in national laws or Shariah laws of individual states.

The ruling reflects the growing influence of conservative Islam in Malaysia, a multiethnic country where Muslim Malays form nearly two-thirds of the population.

Recently, the council said girls who act like boys violate Islam's tenets. The government has also made similar conservative moves, banning the use of the word "Allah" by non-Muslims earlier this year, saying it would confuse Muslims.

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »