Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: My story.

(Read 8678 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • My story.
     OP - November 23, 2008, 11:03 PM

-

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshiped anything but himself."
    ~Sir Richard Francis Burton

"I think religion is just like smoking: Both invented by people, addictive, harmful, and kills!"
    ~RIBS
  • Re: My story.
     Reply #1 - November 23, 2008, 11:11 PM

Hi Cool Canadian, welcome to the forum. Of course we are not going to flame you !  Smiley

Can you tell us a little bit about yourself. What made you leave Christianity? And you mention going through some issues with muslims, what sort of issues?

Life is a sexually transmitted disease which is invariably fatal.
     Reply #2 - November 23, 2008, 11:14 PM

Relax, Mr, or Ms Canadian!  Nobody is going to flame you, make yourself at home, and welcome.  Smiley

What type of Christian were you, and why did you leave?

I was a Catholic, and I left because it was a load of illogical nonsense, too much cognitive dissonance demanded off teh believers. Tongue

I might give you some hassle about being an agnostic though. Cat fight

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #3 - November 23, 2008, 11:22 PM

-

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshiped anything but himself."

"I think religion is just like smoking: Both invented by people, addictive, harmful, and kills!"
    ~RIBS
     Reply #4 - November 23, 2008, 11:25 PM

So Cheetah, what religion do you follow now?

~RIBS
     Reply #5 - November 24, 2008, 07:19 AM

Cheetah doesn't follow religions. They follow her.  cool2

Anyway welcome to the forum. Make yourself at home.  parrot

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #6 - November 24, 2008, 11:15 AM

And while a lot of muslims are great people, they can be arrogant at times. For example, a lot will say "ISLAM IS THE ONLY TRUE RELIGION AND THE ONLY WAY OF LIFE" or " MUHAMMAD WAS THE BEST MAN WHO EVER LIVED".

I wouldn't pay any attention to them because a lot of muslims for the first time are hearing things about their religion and their own beliefs that they've never heard before and some are finding it difficult to handle.

I read something on some website stating that muslims right now are leaving their religion or converting to other religions in greater numbers than in any other time in the history of Islam.

The number may be small the number may be large but I believe it is happening for a variety of reasons.

Perhaps another memeber can come up with credible stats.
     Reply #7 - November 24, 2008, 01:40 PM

Hi CC, Welcome to the club. Is that Agnostic 'improver' or Agnostic 'consolidated'?

Religion is ignorance giftwrapped in lyricism.
     Reply #8 - November 24, 2008, 02:12 PM

Flame On!

Sorry!  Bacon anyone?   grin12

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I remain.
     Reply #9 - November 24, 2008, 02:21 PM

Bacon ...where? lol

Oh, and welcome CC  Afro

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #10 - November 24, 2008, 03:51 PM

hello! I am from Canada and I'm 20 years old and I found this website by accident. I browsed a bit of Faith Freedom International, but it was non-stop arguing and it got way too out of hand. I am not an apostate, I am actually a former Christian now Agnostic but I know and knew Muslims my whole entire life and went through some issues in the process. But most Muslims I have met are great people and would never hurt anyone but I have met a few nasty one's. I am just here to comment and maybe start a few topics and such, and I'm not an apostate so please don't flame me!! Cry

Welcome Cool Canadian  Afro

You can read through threads to see what we are about - but basically we try to be fair and reasonable.

None of us hate Muslims and many of us are not against Islam per se - but against hard-line/literalist interpretations. How far the hard-line'/literalist interpretations are a reflection of 'true' Islam is a matter of debate here.

My personal opinion is that for most Muslims, true Islam is what is true for them.

Reply #11 - November 24, 2008, 04:22 PM

Bacon (Clicky for piccy!)...where? lol

Oh, and welcome CC  Afro

I'm forgetful...what Berbs said.  Afro

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I remain.
     Reply #12 - November 24, 2008, 04:55 PM

Thanks for the welcome everyone! thnkyu What Hassan said about Muslims having their own version True Islam is correct. Every Muslim I know practices islam differently and each one claims "I practice the REAL Islam" but to be honest, they are just cherry picking bits from the Qur'an and Hadith's and throwing the verses that they don't like in the trash. So many different versions lol.

~RIBS
     Reply #13 - November 24, 2008, 04:57 PM

Thanks for the welcome everyone! thnkyu What Hassan said about Muslims having their own version True Islam is correct. Every Muslim I know practices islam differently and each one claims "I practice the REAL Islam" but to be honest, they are just cherry picking bits from the Qur'an and Hadith's and throwing the verses that they don't like in the trash. So many different versions lol.

Actually, that is what all the religious people do. I have not seen Jews stonning those who break sabath. And the list can go on.

Welcome Smiley
     Reply #14 - November 24, 2008, 07:16 PM

Welcome CC, I am from Toronto most of the time myself and I agree with your observation that even the average muslim does believe the koran is the unmutable word of a god and that muhammad is the best example to be followed. As such the average muslim would like to see sharia implemented.

However the average muslim also does not understand the koran, and the average muslim will always agree that the sharia in its current form should not be readily implemented. The average muslim believes that islam possesses 'hidden' qualities that can be brought out to light if given a chance. That the current sharia is bad because of some bad interpretation and they think that a good modern interpretation of the old text is possible.

The average muslim believes that while islam is being implemented, some (a lot) of eggs will be broken (lives destroyed) but in the end we will end up with the perfect omelet and like ANY religious supporter of the death penalty, they ultimately believe that god will take care of those who will get wronged.

The average muslim thinks that koran (and accompanying scripture) if given the chance to be interpreted correctly, will yield a perfect set of laws and the perfect culture.

The average muslim is a nice person. My personal experience is that you can be a very nice person with a degree in physics and still hold all the above beliefs.

I also believe that every religion has a certain IQ specializing in its own survival. And unless the host of the religion can surpass his doctrine's  IQ, the person will remain stuck in the doctrine. Tricks will be played by the doctrine. Services will be provided. Racketeering will take place. One way or another, the religion will keep the cheep in the folds: A threat of getting fired. Losing social status. Losing friends. Being ostracised. Giving you the ability to subdue women in your house (After it takes away your ability to love them and be loved by them). Ability to control a sub-group of people. Tricking you into believing monotheism is the best option. Tricking you to believe having the most kids trumps having the best kids. Controlling your physical action. Your food. Your sex. Who you can be friends with. What you can and can not read. Punish you for asking questions. etc.

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #15 - November 24, 2008, 07:21 PM

Bacon (Clicky for piccy!)...where?

Burbles, we need this smiley. Use your magical smiley-uploading skillz. parrot

Also this one.........

Flame On!

(Clicky for piccy!)

Get to it o most adminny of wenches. Kthnx.

Reply #16 - November 24, 2008, 07:23 PM

OK  dance

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #17 - November 24, 2008, 07:30 PM

Not true, I followed True Islam! Cheesy

Welcome

I chose to get circumcised at 17, don't tell me I never believed.
     Reply #18 - November 24, 2008, 08:07 PM

Reminds me of that wonderful line from The Life of Brian:

"He is the Messiah. I should know. I've followed heaps of them!" parrot

Reply #19 - November 24, 2008, 08:52 PM

-

~RIBS
     Reply #20 - November 25, 2008, 12:16 PM

Hello and welcome Cool Canuck.

I do not believe your last post to be a rant, in fact that is the last straw most muslims will latch on to  Wink. Counter such an argument by asking them if they know and understand Arabic ? ..... trust me majority of Muslims do not know Arabaic themselves.  Cheesy

I was not blessed with the ability to have blind faith. I cant beleive something just because someone says its true.
     Reply #21 - November 25, 2008, 02:37 PM

from what I have seen, most muslims I met and debated with always give the same excuses when it comes to the Qur'an "you must read it in arabic" or "thats not TRUE sharia law" or "you are taking it out of context" and most of them simply called me names when I raised a good argument. One guy called me a jewish zionist...

Yup, the usual denial, anger and blame that so many Muslims are stuck in.
     Reply #22 - November 25, 2008, 03:36 PM

"you must read it in arabic"

There is only One verse that has a better meaning in Arabic then English, all other 6200+ verses are either neutral either more humane and enlightened in the English version.

"thats not TRUE sharia law"

There is not a single law in the Sharia today that is objectively better then the current secular laws where you live. They might claim that banning pork and alcohol is better. Or that polygamy and hand-chopping is better. Or that the highly male-favored marriage rules are better. But that is not objective and they will have a very hard time subjectively proving their point.

"you are taking it out of context"

Accuse you of taking things out of context and in the same paragraph take something out of context. i.e. verse 5:32-3, the one about torture through dismemberment.

and most of them simply called me names when I raised a good argument.

Not directly their fault, and it is good to know where this comes from: Their imam will swear on Friday inside the mosque. Their modern writers will swear as they make points defending islam. The islamic blogs they read in foreign language will swear as they defend islam. In the end, they have not been taught better. The culture is incapable of teaching its own reason because then the culture would self-destroy. And stagnation had always been favored over a dangerous change.

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »