Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Multiple languages.

(Read 10263 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Multiple languages.
     OP - November 23, 2008, 08:45 PM

What's everyone's opinion on this language support thing? I think I can do Arabic and English fairly easily if it's just for text in posts. I found out another dodge last night. This would save having to convert everything to UTF-8.

On the other hand if we go to UTF-8 then we have the potential to support almost any language in the world, either as text in posts or even as complete boards and themes with user-selectable language support. Mind you the latter options do require having active  staff who are fluent in all the languages that are supported.

The thing is that basically doing a conversion to UTF-8 requires a lot more fucking around with files and databases to set it up initially, but once it's done it gives the forum much more potential for future growth if we ever want to take advantage of it. It also has the minor advantage of giving slightly better search results, but the minor drawback of slight slower load times due to the more complex character set involved. Both of these exist but aren't really that big a deal. Most people probably wouldn't notice the load time difference.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
  • Re: Multiple languages.
     Reply #1 - November 23, 2008, 08:56 PM

I don't really understand the ins and outs of your post, but if we can support Arabic without incurring any medium to major negative consequences, it would be a good thing to have on an ex-muslims forum.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #2 - November 23, 2008, 09:02 PM

The only medium to major negative consequence is that I have to do a lot more fucking around to get it set up initially. Cheesy

Anyway the other point I made about requiring active staff who are fluent in all the languages we support is worth considering as well. I know you and I can't read Arabic. What about the other three?

Reply #3 - November 23, 2008, 09:17 PM

My previous post refers to going with UTF-8 conversion. Ok, I'll explain the whole thing again.

1/ At the moment we can only support English text.

2/ I can change it so that we can support English and Arabic text in posts and PM's only.

3/ Doing this the simple way will still not allow us to support any other texts. As an example the Council has a lot of Iranian members. Unless we go to UTF-8 we could not support Farsi, if anyone ever wanted to do that.

4/ If we want the ability to have a true multilingual forum, with the ability to support not only Arabic and English text in posts and PM's but a stack of other languages as well, then we need to do a full conversion to UTF-8.

5/ Doing said UTF-8 conversion gives the forum a lot more flexibility. As one example, if we have a recent immigrant who wants refuge but is only fluent in Farsi they could post in their own language and get help as long as there was someone here who could read it.

6/ Doing said UTF-8 conversion is a lot more work for Muggins (ie: fukn me). Mind you, I only have to do it once.

7/ Having multiple languages supported ideally means having active (not nominal) staff who can read them and make judgement calls on what, if anything, needs to be done about certain posts and PM's.

Reply #4 - November 23, 2008, 09:27 PM

Right, I think I get it.  I don't see the point in doing the work to support all languages, because if someone posts in a language none of us understands, what use is that? 

However, Arabic is a different case.  Given that the whole language of the Qur'an, and indeed many apologetics for the Qur'an, revolve around issues of translation or interpretation of the Arabic, I think its worth doing.  Plus, we have regular posters who are fluent in Arabic.  We even already have a mod who is from Iraq, so obviously an Arabic speaker.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #5 - November 23, 2008, 09:36 PM

ROFL. Yes but you and I think as average monolingual white fuckers. We have to remember that not everyone is like us. That's why I want feedback from other people. Come to think of it I should probably move this thread to another board so everyone can read it.

ETA: Like as an example take Farsi: if we get some Iranian members who just for the hell of it feel like having a PM conversation in Farsi then UTF-8 will allow them to do this.

Reply #6 - November 23, 2008, 09:44 PM

Do it. Let's go. I'll donate $20.

I chose to get circumcised at 17, don't tell me I never believed.
     Reply #7 - November 23, 2008, 10:03 PM

I'm happy to help with Arabic as and when I can - but I stress that it is only 'as and when I can' - I cannot commit to anything because I can only pop in and out and sometimes am away for long periods.
     Reply #8 - November 24, 2008, 12:17 AM

I have to admit I'd be hard pressed to do any modding in Arabic, my vocabulary and grammar are appalling. I barely scraped by with a grade C in GCSE Arabic 100 years ago, an have almost forgotten it now  since I use it so rarely Embarrassed  .The trouble is that spoken arabic is so different from written formal Arabic.

Life is a sexually transmitted disease which is invariably fatal.
     Reply #9 - November 24, 2008, 08:42 AM

Well tbh I don't think much moderating would be necessary. If someone posts a stack of insults in Arabic nobody will be the slightest bit offended if they can't read them. Cheesy

When Hass or awais or whoever rock up and blow the whistle we just delete the post and ban the wally.  dance

Reply #10 - November 24, 2008, 11:32 AM

I would suggest a quick fix for the posts only in arabic.  Isn't the Arabic character set similar to Farsi so maybe you could get by with that?  Or else they can post transliterations (is that the right word? - i.e. Farsi with English characters).

It doesn't seem that you have the capacity yet to support forums in other languages.  If you pick people dedicated to that you could to the utf-8 thing later.

laaken, arabi besyar moheem as...
     Reply #11 - November 24, 2008, 08:44 PM

I've played around with the quick fix a bit more and I'm not happy with what's happened. People may have noticed a couple of odd things have happened to random apostrophes on the forum.

I've also done a bit more checking on the UTF-8 conversion and it's looking easier than I originally thought it would be. It's primarily a matter of copying all English language files and renaming the copies from English to EnglishUTF-8. If these are prepared and in place before converting the database it should run smoothly.

So at the moment I'm thinking just do a thorough list of which files need sorting and sort them, then go straight for UTF-8. Doing this would require putting the forum in maintenance mode while running the conversion. I may time it to coincide with another upgrade and knock both off at the same time.

Reply #12 - January 20, 2009, 01:10 PM

I fully support enabling Arabic on a forum like this (since it criticizes a religion whose sources are strictly in Arabic).

Thx Os. for your effort  Afro

"I'm Agnostic about God."

Richard Dawkins
    ==
    "If there is a God, it has to be a man; no woman could or would ever fuck things up like this."
     George Carlin == "...The so-called moderates are actually the public relations arm of Al-Qaeda and the Islamic Republic of Iran."  Maryam Namazie
     Reply #13 - January 20, 2009, 08:26 PM

I'll be doing this in the next few weeks. There's another big upgrade I want to run as well, and I'll also bring back a stack of good content from the Archives and merge it into this database.

I may need to shut the forum down for a day or two but there shouldn't be any problems.

Reply #14 - April 29, 2009, 04:38 PM

ξγηγξγξηττ γσχβσγγφαφ  dance
     Reply #15 - April 29, 2009, 04:50 PM

When Hass or awais or whoever rock up and blow the whistle we just delete the post and ban the wally.  dance

I thought Delete and Ban are actions only taken by religious forums and blogs? What happened to freedom of speech???

Reply #16 - April 29, 2009, 04:53 PM

اعتقدت بان الحذف و المنع فقط موجودة في المحافل الدينية ؟ ما حدث في حرية التعبير؟

Reply #17 - April 29, 2009, 04:57 PM

It's all Greek to me.  Cheesy
     Reply #18 - April 29, 2009, 06:54 PM

I thought Delete and Ban are actions only taken by religious forums and blogs? What happened to freedom of speech???

Whatever gave you that idea? Those functions are used on just about every forum, religious or otherwise. Freedom of speech means freedom to disagree. It doesn't mean unlimited scope for being an asshole. The post of mine that you were replying to was referring specifically to a case where someone posted a stack of insults in Arabic, hoping that the staff on duty wouldn't be able to read them. That's called trolling. Most sites will ban trolls.

Reply #19 - April 29, 2009, 09:12 PM

Well tbh I don't think much moderating would be necessary. If someone posts a stack of insults in Arabic nobody will be the slightest bit offended if they can't read them. Cheesy

As you said, not many will understand anyway!! And as Shaneequa said, it will just look Greek!! So why bother waste

Reply #20 - April 29, 2009, 09:25 PM

Why not?

Reply #21 - April 29, 2009, 09:30 PM

Os, ive got the answer to that you are looking for...

liajwdhs  poiwejh nfl poqwiejnf  woeriughnv wpoeiurg hweproiug h wepru gh!

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #22 - April 29, 2009, 09:35 PM

I can't be bothered trying to decipher that.

Reply #23 - April 29, 2009, 09:37 PM

precisely

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #24 - April 30, 2009, 07:05 AM

precisely

Cheesy   yeah why bother...  Chilling

Reply #25 - April 30, 2009, 07:08 AM

As you said, not many will understand anyway!! And as Shaneequa said, it will just look Greek!! So why bother waste

No, no no! I have been on him for the Greek. Please, can we keep it?
     Reply #26 - April 30, 2009, 07:10 AM

Because I don't like trolls and see no reason why they shouldn't be slammed for trolling if they get busted. If you don't deal with them you only encourage them.

Reply #27 - March 07, 2010, 11:38 AM

Made this topic non-sticky. Unicode is supported now: Permanent solution for the Unicode problem

German ex-Muslim forumMy YouTubeList of Ex-Muslims
    Wikis: en de fr ar tr
    CEMB-Chat
    I'm on an indefinite break...
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »