Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Lol check this out

(Read 3454 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Lol check this out
     OP - November 22, 2008, 02:28 PM

So I am working for my dad, and he asked me to check what the competitors were doing so I went to  one of the main competitors website, and in the terms and conditions I read the following:

They don't hold liability of any of these:
    Non-exhaustive illustrations include Act of God, War, Riots, Explosion, Abnormal Weather Conditions, Fire, Flood, Government Action, Strikes, Lock Outs, Delays by Suppliers, Accidents, Shortage of Material, Labour or Manufacturing Facilities.

Wtf? Act of GOD? would that even stand up in court? I mean, I could not deliver the goods "It was the will of Allah, and thus exempt from any liability!" is this some hold loophole the British legal-system?
  • Re: Lol check this out
     Reply #1 - November 22, 2008, 02:34 PM

An Act of God just means anything uncontrollable not specifically outlined in the other exemptions - an earthquake, a hurricane, a plague of locusts, an outbreak of bubonic plague, a zombie invasion.  Its in case of someone dragging you through the courts  quibbling that a hurricane doesn't qualify as "abnormal weather" and so on.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #2 - November 22, 2008, 03:20 PM

They need to get past calling it an act of god though, talk about your archaic mindest............whoops, forgot some peeps still believe all of that.  Cheesy

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #3 - November 22, 2008, 05:07 PM

An Act of God just means anything uncontrollable not specifically outlined in the other exemptions - an earthquake, a hurricane, a plague of locusts, an outbreak of bubonic plague, a zombie invasion.  Its in case of someone dragging you through the courts  quibbling that a hurricane doesn't qualify as "abnormal weather" and so on.

Its subjective though, almost anything could be defined as an "act of god" someone could take money for goods and then not deliver the goods and plead "Act of God" is he exempt from any liability? I mean would it actually stand up in court?

OK here is another argument imagine you are working on a rail track, a cabin breaks free and is going down the track at speed where there are some folks standing, you can divert the speeding cabin, to change track and crash into your very expensive uninsured car and save the life's of some folks. Say for what ever reason you don't, and you don't intervene in the event, men get killed could you be charged for a crime, if so would pleading "act of god" diminish any responsibility? would it be considered a reasonable defense?   

Maybe Dio is more qualified, for this, I am just curious about it now
     Reply #4 - November 22, 2008, 05:09 PM

"Act of God is a legal term for events outside of human control, such as sudden floods or other natural disasters, for which no one can be held responsible. This does not protect those who put others in danger of acts of nature through negligence, such as an adult who instructs a group of children to stand under a tree to escape a lightning storm.

The legal term, "Act of God", does not necessarily imply that God had a direct intervention which specifically caused a "natural" occurrence or disaster."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Act_of_God

I chose to get circumcised at 17, don't tell me I never believed.
     Reply #5 - November 22, 2008, 05:11 PM

Its in case of someone dragging you through the courts  quibbling that a hurricane doesn't qualify as "abnormal weather" and so on.

Yeah but a judge would through such a case out! and such rulings would be followed, I don't see how "Act of God" still specifically applies as a legal ruling in British Law.
     Reply #6 - November 22, 2008, 05:15 PM

"Act of God is a legal term for events outside of human control, such as sudden floods or other natural disasters, for which no one can be held responsible. This does not protect those who put others in danger of acts of nature through negligence, such as an adult who instructs a group of children to stand under a tree to escape a lightning storm."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Act_of_God

Thats slightly clarified the negligence aspect, although still "act of god", "act of nature" would make more sense, you know someone could still say "God told me to make the children go under the tree" if its a possible defense, yeah it might sound stupid, but still would it not be taken up by the defense?   
     Reply #7 - November 22, 2008, 05:17 PM

No, it wouldn't, because it's stupid.

Reply #8 - November 22, 2008, 05:18 PM

Its subjective though, almost anything could be defined as an "act of god" someone could take money for goods and then not deliver the goods and plead "Act of God" is he exempt from any liability? I mean would it actually stand up in court?

No, it wouldn't.  Act of God is only a subjective term in the vernacular.  As awais has already explained, the legal term has a very specific and objective definition.  As to judges throwing out spurious court cases, it still wastes time and money for a business, so Act of God is used to cover all unforeseen bases.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #9 - November 22, 2008, 05:21 PM

No, it wouldn't, because it's stupid.

I know its stupid, hence why I am saying. God is nonexistent deity, you can base a legal ruling on it, you might as well have a legal ruling for "Act's of fairies" or something stupid... Its just a mockery.   
     Reply #10 - November 22, 2008, 05:25 PM

It's just wording, get over it.

Reply #11 - November 22, 2008, 05:30 PM

Conversation with my dad over the phone:

My dad: "So have you checked the prices and the products, fax me the lists of changes"

Me: "Yeah, I was just looking at some policies, *someone* has on his website on deliveries..."

My dad: "Yeah what about it?"

Me: "Well his covered for acts of god! and I was just looking that up"

My dad: "CHECK THE PRICES! I have powerful cooperate layers for that, you do what I tell you to do, or your going to make me lose business... "

lol I guess I should leave that to the pros then I guess. I need to go before he goes nuts.
     Reply #12 - November 22, 2008, 05:35 PM

I guess you should. Stop screwing around and do what your daddy tells you.

Reply #13 - November 22, 2008, 06:59 PM

I guess you should. Stop screwing around and do what your daddy tells you.

Its mad fun winding my dad up... Anyway am done for today... I need to see him tomorrow at 12 need to be at the office, his going to show me how to handle invoices.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »