Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: ?Quran is Wondrous..?!

(Read 10828 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • ?Quran is Wondrous..?!
     OP - November 22, 2008, 08:15 AM

One old classical claim to prove that is:

"development of the embryo;"

so they claim that Quran perfectly demonstrates that and this never contradicts what science shows and proves..! and thus Quran has to be from God ...etc.

Anyone with the required background to debunk or prove that?? (with sources)

"I'm Agnostic about God."

Richard Dawkins
    ==
    "If there is a God, it has to be a man; no woman could or would ever fuck things up like this."
     George Carlin == "...The so-called moderates are actually the public relations arm of Al-Qaeda and the Islamic Republic of Iran."  Maryam Namazie
  • Re: ?Quran is Wondrous..?!
     Reply #1 - November 22, 2008, 08:40 AM

Oh yeah, I can arrange that. You let me know what needs trashing and I call in some heavy artillery. yes

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #2 - November 22, 2008, 09:49 AM

The steps are faulty, they say that bones are created a step or two before they actually do, plus they were known before than by a greek doctor which I forgot his name, but he is named the father of medicine.
     Reply #3 - November 22, 2008, 09:51 AM

You're probably thinking of Hippocrates. Wink

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #4 - November 22, 2008, 10:58 AM

You're probably thinking of Hippocrates. Wink

Yep thats him, I knew what they called him in arabic, and it was one of the things that shook up my belief once I heard it... and I knew what his name was in english, but could not remember it.

Cheers
     Reply #5 - November 22, 2008, 03:33 PM

One old classical claim to prove that is:

"development of the embryo;"

so they claim that Quran perfectly demonstrates that and this never contradicts what science shows and proves..! and thus Quran has to be from God ...etc.

Anyone with the required background to debunk or prove that?? (with sources)

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly does it say about embryonic development?

If you have a link, or can explain it here, I can probably pick it apart in short order.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I remain.
     Reply #6 - November 22, 2008, 03:35 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly does it say about embryonic development?

If you have a link, or can explain it here, I can probably pick it apart in short order.

http://www.islam-guide.com/ch1-1-a.htm

Here ya go.  Afro

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #7 - November 22, 2008, 04:17 PM

Ooook...  Wink

This is going to take some time.

But let's preface it by stating that any person who spends time with, or depends on animals for sustenance, or any other purpose that requires close contact. Would have ample opportunities to observe reproductive and anatomical details. Animals engaged in intercourse, gave birth, had spontaneous abortions, and were slaughtered for food on a daily basis. You would have had to be blind to not notice details.

And since humans go through exactly the same stages leading to the birth of a child, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to make comparisons. And if, as I keep reading, Muhammad was a tribesman, he would have been exposed to the various stages regularly. Also, I think I read somewhere that he was a shepherd for a period of time, which is even more intense when it comes to exposure to biological processes in animals.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I remain.
     Reply #8 - November 23, 2008, 01:56 AM

Thx everyone.

@ Biaxident:

Good points, and I do still feel like these verses have few "yet major" flaws.

@ Os:

Thx man; I think the link mentioned by BerberElla is good... Muslims like to mention also:

023.012 ?YUSUFALI: Man We did create from a quintessence (of clay); ?PICKTHAL: Verily We created man from a product of wet earth; ?SHAKIR: And certainly We created man of an extract of clay,

023.013 ?YUSUFALI: Then We placed him as (a drop of) sperm in a place of rest, firmly fixed; ?PICKTHAL: Then placed him as a drop (of seed) in a safe lodging; ?SHAKIR: Then We made him a small seed in a firm resting-place,

023.014 ?YUSUFALI: Then We made the sperm into a clot of congealed blood; then of that clot We made a (foetus) lump; then we made out of that lump bones and clothed the bones with flesh; then we developed out of it another creature. So blessed be Allah, the best to create! ?PICKTHAL: Then fashioned We the drop a clot, then fashioned We the clot a little lump, then fashioned We the little lump bones, then clothed the bones with flesh, and then produced it as another creation. So blessed be Allah, the Best of creators! ?SHAKIR: Then We made the seed a clot, then We made the clot a lump of flesh, then We made (in) the lump of flesh bones, then We clothed the bones with flesh, then We caused it to grow into another creation, so blessed be Allah, the best of the creators.

086.006 ?YUSUFALI: He is created from a drop emitted- ?PICKTHAL: He is created from a gushing fluid ?SHAKIR: He is created of water pouring forth,

086.007 ?YUSUFALI: Proceeding from between the backbone and the ribs: ?PICKTHAL: That issued from between the loins and ribs. ?SHAKIR: Coming from between the back and the ribs.

022.005 ?YUSUFALI: O mankind! if ye have a doubt about the Resurrection, (consider) that We created you out of dust, then out of sperm, then out of a leech-like clot, then out of a morsel of flesh, partly formed and partly unformed, in order that We may manifest (our power) to you; and We cause whom We will to rest in the wombs for an appointed term, then do We bring you out as babes, then (foster you) that ye may reach your age of full strength; and some of you are called to die, and some are sent back to the feeblest old age, so that they know nothing after having known (much), and (further), thou seest the earth barren and lifeless, but when We pour down rain on it, it is stirred (to life), it swells, and it puts forth every kind of beautiful growth (in pairs). ?PICKTHAL: O mankind! if ye are in doubt concerning the Resurrection, then lo! We have created you from dust, then from a drop of seed, then from a clot, then from a little lump of flesh shapely and shapeless, that We may make (it) clear for you. And We cause what We will to remain in the wombs for an appointed time, and afterward We bring you forth as infants, then (give you growth) that ye attain your full strength. And among you there is he who dieth (young), and among you there is he who is brought back to the most abject time of life, so that, after knowledge, he knoweth naught. And thou (Muhammad) seest the earth barren, but when We send down water thereon, it doth thrill and swell and put forth every lovely kind (of growth). ?SHAKIR: O people! if you are in doubt about the raising, then surely We created you from dust, then from a small seed, then from a clot, then from a lump of flesh, complete in make and incomplete, that We may make clear to you; and We cause what We please to stay in the wombs till an appointed time, then We bring you forth as babies, then that you may attain your maturity; and of you is he who is caused to die, and of you is he who is brought back to the worst part of life, so that after having knowledge he does not know anything; and you see the earth sterile land, but when We send down on it the water, it stirs and swells and brings forth of every kind a beautiful herbage.

@ whatabastor; thx for your input. The doctor thingie is really good one, any sources?

"I'm Agnostic about God."

Richard Dawkins
    ==
    "If there is a God, it has to be a man; no woman could or would ever fuck things up like this."
     George Carlin == "...The so-called moderates are actually the public relations arm of Al-Qaeda and the Islamic Republic of Iran."  Maryam Namazie
     Reply #9 - November 23, 2008, 02:06 AM

Thx everyone.

@ Biaxident:

@ Os:

Thx man; I think the link mentioned by BerberElla is good... Muslims like to mention also:

023.012 ?YUSUFALI: Man We did create from a quintessence (of clay); ?PICKTHAL: Verily We created man from a product of wet earth; ?SHAKIR: And certainly We created man of an extract of clay,

023.013 ?YUSUFALI: Then We placed him as (a drop of) sperm in a place of rest, firmly fixed; ?PICKTHAL: Then placed him as a drop (of seed) in a safe lodging; ?SHAKIR: Then We made him a small seed in a firm resting-place,

023.014 ?YUSUFALI: Then We made the sperm into a clot of congealed blood; then of that clot We made a (foetus) lump; then we made out of that lump bones and clothed the bones with flesh; then we developed out of it another creature. So blessed be Allah, the best to create! ?PICKTHAL: Then fashioned We the drop a clot, then fashioned We the clot a little lump, then fashioned We the little lump bones, then clothed the bones with flesh, and then produced it as another creation. So blessed be Allah, the Best of creators! ?SHAKIR: Then We made the seed a clot, then We made the clot a lump of flesh, then We made (in) the lump of flesh bones, then We clothed the bones with flesh, then We caused it to grow into another creation, so blessed be Allah, the best of the creators.

086.006 ?YUSUFALI: He is created from a drop emitted- ?PICKTHAL: He is created from a gushing fluid ?SHAKIR: He is created of water pouring forth,

086.007 ?YUSUFALI: Proceeding from between the backbone and the ribs: ?PICKTHAL: That issued from between the loins and ribs. ?SHAKIR: Coming from between the back and the ribs.

022.005 ?YUSUFALI: O mankind! if ye have a doubt about the Resurrection, (consider) that We created you out of dust, then out of sperm, then out of a leech-like clot, then out of a morsel of flesh, partly formed and partly unformed, in order that We may manifest (our power) to you; and We cause whom We will to rest in the wombs for an appointed term, then do We bring you out as babes, then (foster you) that ye may reach your age of full strength; and some of you are called to die, and some are sent back to the feeblest old age, so that they know nothing after having known (much), and (further), thou seest the earth barren and lifeless, but when We pour down rain on it, it is stirred (to life), it swells, and it puts forth every kind of beautiful growth (in pairs). ?PICKTHAL: O mankind! if ye are in doubt concerning the Resurrection, then lo! We have created you from dust, then from a drop of seed, then from a clot, then from a little lump of flesh shapely and shapeless, that We may make (it) clear for you. And We cause what We will to remain in the wombs for an appointed time, and afterward We bring you forth as infants, then (give you growth) that ye attain your full strength. And among you there is he who dieth (young), and among you there is he who is brought back to the most abject time of life, so that, after knowledge, he knoweth naught. And thou (Muhammad) seest the earth barren, but when We send down water thereon, it doth thrill and swell and put forth every lovely kind (of growth). ?SHAKIR: O people! if you are in doubt about the raising, then surely We created you from dust, then from a small seed, then from a clot, then from a lump of flesh, complete in make and incomplete, that We may make clear to you; and We cause what We please to stay in the wombs till an appointed time, then We bring you forth as babies, then that you may attain your maturity; and of you is he who is caused to die, and of you is he who is brought back to the worst part of life, so that after having knowledge he does not know anything; and you see the earth sterile land, but when We send down on it the water, it stirs and swells and brings forth of every kind a beautiful herbage.

@ whatabastor; thx for your input. The doctor thingie is really good one, any sources?

I would like to add more. But real life got in the way for the entire day today. I shall be rested, with some nice information and sources on the morrow.  Smiley

Reply #10 - November 23, 2008, 04:33 AM

Thx everyone.

@ Biaxident:

@ Os:

wisam

here is one
    http://antimiracles.com/node/11

its in arabic, you are from saudi, so I bet you can read it
     Reply #11 - November 23, 2008, 06:52 AM

Hello Emerald I'm going to post three videos that quickly debunk almost all of the Koranic science bollo that Muslims spout. I hope they are useful Enjoy  parrot

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT1Ycljs3eo
     Reply #12 - November 23, 2008, 06:56 AM

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4CgrIiYSZE
     Reply #13 - November 23, 2008, 07:07 AM

Part 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64Hpk8qiOWk
     Reply #14 - November 23, 2008, 07:18 AM

Bonus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m64tVi_rrLo&NR=1
     Reply #15 - November 23, 2008, 07:32 PM

“Allah didn’t have the ability to express himself clearly so there could be no doubt” — hahaha, and so true!

Brilliant series of vids. I’ve subscribed to him now. I love his voice and his eloquent way of explaining his arguments Smiley

"At 8:47 I do a grenade jump off a ladder."
     Reply #16 - November 23, 2008, 08:01 PM

Actually a point about Earth's shape there - the guy has a little inaccurate.  That is to say the Earth isn't egg shaped, but 'ball' shaped.

I'm guessing by 'ball' he means spherical - it's a pretty vague and unprecise description.  But we know that it isn't. 

There have been different understandings of Earth's shapes over the years... up until recently they believed it to be an 'oblate spheroid' (a flattened sphere).  Then we realized that it was in fact, not only distorted in a regular way (the oblation), but actually in an irregular way... something like an egg.

Still more recently (sometime between the 80's and now I think), in trying to grapple with further irregularities - they decided to call it 'geoidal'... which just means 'earth-shapped'.  So they kind of created a custom fit definition.

In any case, to say it's 'egg-shaped' is probably more accurate than 'ball-shaped'.  That's always the one 'miracle' piece of info that the Quran has offered that raised my eyebrow.

Reply #17 - November 23, 2008, 08:27 PM

I think the videos dealt with that very well. The earth is an almost perfect sphere with slight protrusions at the poles. It is in no way egg shaped. It looks more like this emoticon than it does a boiled egg yes
     Reply #18 - November 23, 2008, 08:43 PM

Elliptical, not ‘egg–shaped’!

"At 8:47 I do a grenade jump off a ladder."
     Reply #19 - November 23, 2008, 09:03 PM

I think the videos dealt with that very well. The earth is an almost perfect sphere with slight protrusions at the poles. It is in no way egg shaped. It looks more like this emoticon than it does a boiled egg yes

Sure, that's like what you tell kids...

but a more sophistocated understanding of it (like using hi-tech gadgets and things) we find it's quite a bit off being a sphere.  (and no, it's flattened at the poles... no protrusions).  That is if you want to be accurate and 'scientific' about it. 

Elliptical, not ‘egg–shaped’!

I don't have my geog text books here to look up the specific name... but an ellipse is 'irregular in a regular way' (with the symmetry et al).   

An egg is 'irregular in an irregular' way, lacking the symmetry.  That's actually a better definition of the Earth's shape.

Reply #20 - November 23, 2008, 09:07 PM

An egg is 'irregular in an irregular' way, lacking the symmetry.  That's actually a better definition of the Earth's shape.

Oh dear.   wacko

The earth is a flattened ellipse.  Eggs are ovoid. 

Its not a geography text book you need, Variable, its a geometry book.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #21 - November 23, 2008, 09:20 PM

Well brucepig, here I was, going to type out and cut and paste all this info. And you find videos.

My fingers thank you.   Afro

Reply #22 - November 23, 2008, 09:22 PM

Quote from: Variable
    There have been different understandings of Earth's shapes over the years... up until recently they believed it to be an 'oblate spheroid' (a flattened sphere).  Then we realized that it was in fact, not only distorted in a regular way (the oblation), but actually in an irregular way... something like an egg.

Hell no, oblate is the exact *oposite* (coming from a ball or a sphere).

In any case, to say it's 'egg-shaped' is probably more accurate than 'ball-shaped'.  That's always the one 'miracle' piece of info that the Quran has offered that raised my eyebrow.

You can lower you eyebrow since this claim is simply not true. An egg is (imperfectly / asymetrically) elongated along one axis whilst the earth is 'flattened' along one axis. Since the earth is not symetrically flattened a ball laying on the ground is a near-perfect description of its shape and an egg is not. A perfect sphere is much closer to the shape of the earth than an egg is: the distortions of the earth are reletively very small.

p.s. Interestingly the Quran doesn't claim the earth is egg shaped; it claims the earth is flat, just like the flattened piece of land the ostrich lays its eggs in (its nest).

Everytime "science" (which is falsely called so), "discovers" something new, evolutionists have to go back and change some parts of one of their theories. Amazingly enough, no scientific discovery has ever caused Biblical creationists to have to change their stand.
     Reply #23 - November 23, 2008, 09:24 PM

Oh dear.   wacko

You didn't really read what I wrote, and for some reason seem to feel the need to get all negative and witty.
     Reply #24 - November 23, 2008, 09:25 PM

A turd is irregular in an irregular way, and so is a piece of molten cheese. You seriously need some geometry classes. If you would compare the earth to a fruit or something commonly found in nature you should compare it's shape to an orange or a pumpkin not to an egg (which incidentally the Quran clearly doesn't even do; it describes the earth as flat, stretched out and pegged down by mountains.)

Everytime "science" (which is falsely called so), "discovers" something new, evolutionists have to go back and change some parts of one of their theories. Amazingly enough, no scientific discovery has ever caused Biblical creationists to have to change their stand.
     Reply #25 - November 23, 2008, 09:30 PM

Oh dear.   wacko

You didn't really read what I wrote, and for some reason seem to feel the need to get all negative and witty.

I did really read what you wrote, I read it three or four times just to make sure.  It was still wrong even after the fourth reading, and no disrepect to you, but there is no way to tell someone they are wrong without being "negative".    Thanx for saying it was "witty" though.

You need to rethink that one a bit, IMO. Smiley

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #26 - November 23, 2008, 09:50 PM

Oh dear.   wacko

I did really read what you wrote, I read it three or four times just to make sure.  It was still wrong even after the fourth reading, and no disrepect to you, but there is no way to tell someone they are wrong without being "negative".    Thanx for saying it was "witty" though.

You need to rethink that one a bit, IMO. Smiley

So, you know about this stuff then.  You know then that technically that no, the Earth is not an oblate spheroid.  Or maybe you don't because you just said that it was.   

Yeh, I know that eggs are lo and behold... egg shaped.  The point was that similar descriptions could be applied to the two of them.   Regardless of the axis it's elongated on, aside from the obvious dramatic differences - it's impressive to think that the idea existed before more modern equipment that world is not a perfect sphere (which for a very long time it was).  That's the point. 

That applies to Phedippedes' post too.

And yeh, there are polite ways to disagree with people... that wasn't an example of that. 

Reply #27 - November 23, 2008, 10:15 PM

Yeh, I know that eggs are lo and behold... egg shaped.  The point was that similar descriptions could be applied to the two of them.

I know that Variable, thank you, I understood your point perfectly well the first time you made it.  It was wrong the first time you made it, and while I may have been a bit abrupt in my answer, the reason I gave should still have been equally perfectly clear.

Pheds made it even clearer - similar wording in descriptions does not equal classification of geometric shapes.

No offence meant, but  you're wrong - hopefully that is an example of polite refutation. Tongue

Reply #28 - November 24, 2008, 04:18 AM

Yeh, I know that eggs are lo and behold... egg shaped.  The point was that similar descriptions could be applied to the two of them.

I know that Variable, thank you, I understood your point perfectly well the first time you made it.  It was wrong the first time you made it, and while I may have been a bit abrupt in my answer, the reason I gave should still have been equally perfectly clear.

Pheds made it even clearer - similar wording in descriptions does not equal classification of geometric shapes.

No offence meant, but  you're wrong - hopefully that is an example of polite refutation. Tongue

Well, you're wrong too - it's not technically a 'flat ellipsoid' either.  And I hope I cleared up any confusion (on my part) that I thought the earth actually looked like an egg or took an egg shape - but rather the idea that it wasn't a perfect sphere, and instead irregularly shaped... which is interesting.  Especially considering that (as far as I know) no one else made any similar claim until the 17th century. 
     Reply #29 - November 24, 2008, 10:07 AM

Well, you're wrong too - it's not technically a 'flat ellipsoid' either.

Ok, whatever.  I wasn't writing a holy book which should be read as perfect for all times and places.  I was only writing a post on an Internet forum, so I can be wrong without losing any sleep over it.

And I hope I cleared up any confusion (on my part) that I thought the earth actually looked like an egg or took an egg shape - but rather the idea that it wasn't a perfect sphere, and instead irregularly shaped... which is interesting.

No, because that was  never the bone of contention to begin with.  Where did you get the idea that we were arguing about your thoughts on the shape of the earth? 

We are talking about the contents of the Qur'an.  As far as I know, the Qur'an says the earth is egg shaped.

Especially considering that (as far as I know) no one else made any similar claim until the 17th century.

Roll Eyes

• 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »