Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Organising your own funeral?

(Read 5123 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Organising your own funeral?
     OP - November 21, 2008, 11:59 AM

Grim stuff, eh? Not necessarily.
    I've had half a dozen angina attacks since xmas and the second one almost got me by all accounts. There was no pain, I felt lucid, but I was totally incapacitated. I've recovered well and am reasonably fit now. As a result I'm not afraid of death. If it comes as it did on my near-miss, it will be a good death.

BUT, in the aftermath, I decided to prepare an 'exit file' to make it easy for my wife to sort out my affairs. Most things, like life insurances, bank acct. transfers, pensions, the will, etc, were easy to sort and file.
    The one thing that took some thought was my own funeral. Did I go along with her wishes, or my kids, or do I stay true to myself and my Atheism, even in death.
    As an Atheist, it matters not to me what happens to my earthly remains, which as far as the evidence presents, is all there is in this generation. But I have decided to make some small statement , through the manner of my 'going' in support of my atheistic stance.
    I contacted the Humanist assoc. and  advised them that I wished to have a Humanist officiated funeral 'event' to mark my final going and they kindly supplied me with the name and phone number of our local Humanist 'officiant' (love that title!). I phoned him and had a good chat with him to satisfy myself that he was the kind of person I'd want to do the job. He was gratified that, for once, he'd got to talk to someone 'en vivant' as it were, before the event, and I must say that I really enjoyed my chat with him.
    So my wife is agreeable and she has a contact number.

After my cremation, my wife and children will eventually scatter my ashes with those of my little dog, either around my family's tree (that I told you about in a previous post) or on the cliffs at South Stack, my favourite place on earth. I just love the idea of a small part of me becoming part of such a ravishingly beautiful place.

So, I've been wondering whether any of you apostates, especially the older amongst you, have given the matter any thought. Those of you who are atheists now - will you defer to your families wishes or will you devise your own exit strategy?

Religion is ignorance giftwrapped in lyricism.
  • Re: Organising your own funeral?
     Reply #1 - November 21, 2008, 12:02 PM

As long as I don't have to dig my own grave I don't much give a rat's.  grin12

So are they going to do a sort of suttee thing with the dog or wait for it to keel over by itself?

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #2 - November 21, 2008, 12:10 PM

I haven't got a will, nor have I organised my funeral lol I don't even have savings for my golden years.

I'm a very disorganised person  Tongue

I really should do it though.  wacko

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #3 - November 21, 2008, 07:33 PM

As long as I don't have to dig my own grave I don't much give a rat's.  grin12

So are they going to do a sort of suttee thing with the dog or wait for it to keel over by itself?

well, she's heading for 10 now, so it's the luck of the draw who precedes who. My wife has the biscuit tin ready for both. Now if she goes first it may get a little complicated.

Reply #4 - November 27, 2008, 08:37 PM

So I have to be like a dog with a bone, Eh?
    So none of you are going to die?

Reply #5 - November 27, 2008, 09:15 PM

I've had half a dozen angina attacks since xmas and the second one almost got me by all accounts. There was no pain, I felt lucid, but I was totally incapacitated. I've recovered well and am reasonably fit now. As a result I'm not afraid of death. If it comes as it did on my near-miss, it will be a good death.

BUT, in the aftermath, I decided to prepare an 'exit file' to make it easy for my wife to sort out my affairs. Most things, like life insurances, bank acct. transfers, pensions, the will, etc, were easy to sort and file.
    The one thing that took some thought was my own funeral. Did I go along with her wishes, or my kids, or do I stay true to myself and my Atheism, even in death.
    As an Atheist, it matters not to me what happens to my earthly remains, which as far as the evidence presents, is all there is in this generation. But I have decided to make some small statement , through the manner of my 'going' in support of my atheistic stance.
    I contacted the Humanist assoc. and  advised them that I wished to have a Humanist officiated funeral 'event' to mark my final going and they kindly supplied me with the name and phone number of our local Humanist 'officiant' (love that title!). I phoned him and had a good chat with him to satisfy myself that he was the kind of person I'd want to do the job. He was gratified that, for once, he'd got to talk to someone 'en vivant' as it were, before the event, and I must say that I really enjoyed my chat with him.

After my cremation, my wife and children will eventually scatter my ashes with those of my little dog, either around my family's tree (that I told you about in a previous post) or on the cliffs at South Stack, my favourite place on earth. I just love the idea of a small part of me becoming part of such a ravishingly beautiful place.

So, I've been wondering whether any of you apostates, especially the older amongst you, have given the matter any thought. Those of you who are atheists now - will you defer to your families wishes or will you devise your own exit strategy?

Oddly enough I have been thinking about this as my ill health recently has been bringing such thoughts to my mind.

I'm quite happy for my loved ones to do what makes them happy - since I really won't care.

But I have made my will - split 4 ways amongst my 4 kids lol  grin12

I have been wondering if I'm going to meet God - and what he will be like if I do - a psycho ala religions - or truly loving as I think.
     Reply #6 - November 27, 2008, 09:31 PM

The other alternative I have been thinking of is that there really is no God and when I die - that's it.

Not a nice thought - but at the same time at least there is no pain or suffering... there is just... nothing. So I won't be sad or feel anything.
     Reply #7 - November 27, 2008, 09:51 PM

Aye, it'll be like before you were born Smiley

"At 8:47 I do a grenade jump off a ladder."
     Reply #8 - November 28, 2008, 09:44 AM

Hassan,
    I think God will be truly loving and compassionate, but God will be something very different than how himans or religions have described him. Beyond existence and non exsitence, beyond human frailities, God will be pure love, joy and bliss.

Obviously, that is how I like to think. No one knows the truth. It might happen, I will die and everything will be over.

I would like to do organ donation,  rest all depends on my family.  Smiley
     Reply #9 - November 28, 2008, 09:54 AM

I want to be stuffed and hung up at a museum so I can haunt my friends and relatives forever Wink
     Reply #10 - November 28, 2008, 09:55 AM

I already have my organ donation card. Why bother to allow your useful part to be eaten by worms or burnt when they can help others. I have no need for them when I am no more.

Personally I'd like to be cremated and scattered somewhere. Where I'm not sure yet as that will change as I age and become fond of places I may not yet know.

I do not know where I was before I was born, and I do not know where I'll be when I'm gone. So why fear the enevitable?

Knowing Islam is the only true religion we do not allow propagation of any other religion. How can we allow building of churches and temples when their religion is wrong? Thus we will not allow such wrong things in our countries. - Zakir Naik
     Reply #11 - November 28, 2008, 09:59 AM

I already have my organ donation card. Why bother to allow your useful part to be eaten by worms or burnt when they can help others. I have no need for them when I am no more.

Personally I'd like to be cremated and scattered somewhere. Where I'm not sure yet as that will change as I age and become fond of places I may not yet know.

I do not know where I was before I was born, and I do not know where I'll be when I'm gone. So why fear the enevitable?

Afro
     Reply #12 - November 28, 2008, 10:46 AM

"I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it" - Mark Twain  yes
     Reply #13 - November 28, 2008, 01:50 PM

Oddly enough I have been thinking about this as my ill health recently has been bringing such thoughts to my mind.

I'm quite happy for my loved ones to do what makes them happy - since I really won't care.

But I have made my will - split 4 ways amongst my 4 kids lol  grin12

I have been wondering if I'm going to meet God - and what he will be like if I do - a psycho ala religions - or truly loving as I think.

Do not worry hassan, if you do not like what you see, go back to being dead. Screw him/her/it if they are not worth being with you.

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #14 - November 28, 2008, 03:50 PM

I had to organise a funeral for someone recently and I would highly recommend sorting out as much as possible yourself if you can.  Sometimes worrying about details can be hard for the bereaved and if the 'service/funeral/cremations' etc. can have been worked out ahead of time, it will make it that much easier for those who come after.  You can always say 'if the people organising have a better idea, just go with it!'

Yes, you are dead, but somehow 'what she would have wanted' seems to rank highly in deciding what should go on.  It's a bit bizaare, but that respect for the dead thing seems to matter.

Of course, I haven't done this myself yet, but it's on the 'to do' list.
     Reply #15 - November 28, 2008, 08:37 PM

Afro

Well, I know where I'll be when I've gone, I've got 2 kids, so half of me has been passed on twice already. As for where was I before I was born- well , half of me  was in my mothers ovaries, which were making me whilst she was in her mother's womb as an embryo. That much, we all know.

Reply #16 - November 28, 2008, 08:43 PM

The other alternative I have been thinking of is that there really is no God and when I die - that's it.

Not a nice thought - but at the same time at least there is no pain or suffering... there is just... nothing. So I won't be sad or feel anything.

Why is it not a nice thought , Hassan? It's the fate of all individual organisms. I try not to dwell so much on individuality, but derive great strength and comfort from the continuum of life. Life is a wonderful thing but when it's time to let go I want others to celebrate my life that they knew. So, kindness now, and then blessed oblivion.

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »