Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Religion & identity. Bigotry & legitimate criticism.

(Read 5767 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Religion & identity. Bigotry & legitimate criticism.
     OP - November 19, 2008, 02:56 PM

It should be simple but for some reason it's quite difficult!

A religion or an ideology is not a race so criticism of a religion or ideology is not bigotry or racism.  yes

But in this world of identity politics to harshly criticise Islam seems to cross into the realms of bigotry.

Not because the person who is criticising Islam is necessarily a bigot but because Muslims identify with Islam so tightly that to attack Islam is to attack their identity. To criticise Islam is to criticise people, not just people but a beleaguered minority just like the Jews in the 1940's

In this politically correct age it is almost a get out of jail free card.

It makes a hermetically sealed ideology which has severe penalties for those who question from within impervious to criticism from without. Any non Muslim who criticises Islam is akin to a Nazi brown shirt and not worth taking seriously except as a storm crow of a new Euro fascist dawn.

I can't think of anything remotely like it.

If a communist flew into rage because he heard someone criticise Karl Marx or a British Hindu insisted he must, absolutely must go and join his Hindu brothers and sisters in their fight against oppression in Sri Lanka we would either tell them to grow up or assume they were lunatics and give them a wide berth.

But for some reason whether through political activism or sheer religious fervor we accept that Islam the religion has been elevated to the status of a living breathing human being. Islam has been given human rights.

We accept it when young Muslim hot heads talk about being prepared to die for their Muslim brothers and sisters in far off lands. We almost buy into the idea that Muslims have a supernatural bond which goes beyond borders. There is respect for Muslim solidarity and liberal people seek to understand when anger is the reaction to cartoons etc.

It's almost as if through sheer force of will radical and moderate Muslims have convinced the world that Islam is more than just a religion and should be treated with more respect than anything else.

It's a strange phenomenon, it's also frustrating.

One good thing that has come from this situation is it has shook up the fuzzy outdated thinking of the 68'ers

The Left has some serious thinking to do. I'm coming at this from outside the Muslim community. I would like to hear the secular view from inside the Muslim community.
     parrot 

• Re: Religion & identity. Bigotry & legitimate criticism.
     Reply #1 - November 19, 2008, 03:22 PM

I would like to hear the secular view from inside the Muslim community.

Tough to get that. Islam does not yet have a niche for its secularists. You can be a secularist muslim but then you are expected to keep it to yourself. Once you publicize or publish your secularism, you are then an apostate and an ex-muslim.

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #2 - November 19, 2008, 03:30 PM

Well I understand that, when I said the secular view from inside the community I spose I mean the ex Muslim view  Tongue

I think that could be the bench mark of reform when people can freely identify as secular Muslims without stigma.
     Reply #3 - November 19, 2008, 04:26 PM

Good post Brucepig and excellent points. I think you explain part of the problem when you say that most Muslims see their identity so closely interwoven with their religion that any criticism of Islam is seen as an attack on them (i.e. British Pakistanis, or French Moroccans etc...) and thus seen as racist.

What makes it worse is that there are racists who use attacks on Islam as a Trojan Horse for their own agenda (i.e. to call for curbs on immigration etc...)

That is why I feel so strongly about drawing a very clear and deep line between those of us who wish to air the very valid criticisms we have of Islam and those who just want to use it to further their own hate-agenda.

You may not know the history of this forum, but we basically started up to create a forum that made it possible to have open and intelligent discussions without the far-right (and fundamentalist Christian) bigotry of such sites as faithfreedom and jihadchat, who poison the debate on Islam and allow Muslims to use the bigotry card.

By and large I think we have mostly succeeded in that and I hope that we can kick start a reasonable, rational and calm debate on Islam.
     Reply #4 - November 19, 2008, 06:05 PM

That is why I feel so strongly about drawing a very clear and deep line between those of us who wish to air the very valid criticisms we have of Islam and those who just want to use it to further their own hate-agenda.

I suppose the function of the forum is as a place where those in doubt about Islam can go to read some level headed criticisms of Islam instead of the off-putting hate sites, apart from the few FFi-lites on here, I think it does a good job, but I wonder if there are any on here, who as a result of coming across the forum, helped them to leave Islam (not those who already had)?

Ha Ha.
     Reply #5 - November 19, 2008, 06:19 PM

Faithfreedom is a farce, it's just soooo anti that it can't be taken seriously even though Ali Sina makes valid points about Mohammad he comes across as someone who is foaming at the mouth.

The forums there just seem to be childish shouting matches between crazy fundies who call for blood and ex Muslims who call Muhammad Moohammad and shout pedophile worshiper at the top of their lungs whenever a Muslim shows up.

Thankfully this forum is a model of decorum and long may it stay like this Afro

Now when you say "that there are racists" who use attacks on Islam to curb immigration would you say that anyone who criticises Islam and advocates tightening up immigration is a racist because I would have to disagree.

I don't think that we need to curb immigration but I know some pretty level headed people who are not racist but criticise Islam and also think we need to reform our immigration policy.

For me the word racist is a very important word, it's a heavy accusation, it should be handled with care. At the moment it is trotted out so regularly I fear it might lose it's meaning.

I would say that someone who comments on Islam and talks about deportations, accuses Muslims of deliberately out breeding us and says that no Muslims can be trusted is definitely a racist but in this day and age Nazis are careful to moderate their language.

You wont hear many racists being so outspoken in public. So it is difficult to tell the racist from the genuine critic.

I would like to try to find some kind of bench mark that highlights the bigots. But it's not easy.

I have moved to Thailand which is a nation afflicted with serious jihadi violence and my ex girlfriend is from The Philippines which also suffers from a violent Islamist campaign, Islamists are active across Western Europe, Africa, Russia, the USA, Argentina and China.

Yes some of these conflicts have land and politics as their cause not religion but they are all being fought in Allahs name to establish Islamic government not peace and justice.   

I was talking to a friend in a bar and I said that I thought that this proved that Islamist violence was not caused by Western imperialism and that I thought that Islam had an intrinsically militant foundation that went all the way back to Mohammad who was of course a warlord. He said that this was a bigoted view.

It might be wrong and we can argue about that but is it bigotry?

This militancy that seems to afflict almost every corner of the planet I think is tied to this dogmatic idea of Muslim solidarity and Islamic perfection that I mentioned in the original post.

The idea that there is an almost supernatural connection between Muslim brothers and sisters which crosses borders, as if Islam was itself a living entity. Add to that dogmatically seeing a harsh warlord and politician like Mohammad as a perfect role model and I can see why Islam is in such a crisis.

Of course Muslims are the biggest victims of the militants and just like Christians most Muslims just want a peaceful life and don't want to be involved in violence lets not let us forget that.

How common are the ideas of reactionary Muslim solidarity, Islamic perfection and Mohammad emulation with moderate Muslims because for me it all seems like a recepie for extremism.

I'm just talking as someone who is trying to piece it all together. I hope I don't fall into the bigot camp

parrot Sorry I like the parrot Tongue
     Reply #6 - November 19, 2008, 06:34 PM

It should be simple but for some reason it's quite difficult!

A religion or an ideology is not a race so criticism of a religion or ideology is not bigotry or racism.  yes

But in this world of identity politics to harshly criticise Islam seems to cross into the realms of bigotry.

Not because the person who is criticising Islam is necessarily a bigot but because Muslims identify with Islam so tightly that to attack Islam is to attack their identity. To criticise Islam is to criticise people, not just people but a beleaguered minority just like the Jews in the 1940's

I have to say that this is often the case because criticism of Islaam are really criticisms of Muslims, and those critiques always invoke white views of Arabs, Asians, and Africans.  People who take issue with Asian culture mesh it together with Islaam.  In the USA, you can't get away from the anti Islaamic movement's tendency to tie Islaam together with Arabs at every turn, despite the fact that they aren't a majority of Muslims in the world or even in the USA itself.  

This is an area where critics of Islaam and those who would stand against authoritarian movements and tendencies among Muslims have failed miserably. Anti Islaamic writers must be above reproach in terms of their approach and their methods.  I wanted to support some of these websites and read the books and support these guys, but what I've been finding is veiled, virulent racism and a mishmosh of lies and inaccuracies presented as the truth.  Those who want to criticise Islaam must strive to be as accurate and fair as possible, and that includes staying away from the tendency to ornament critiques of Islaam with racist portraiture - in words or cartoons - of Muslims.  

In addition, anti Islaamic writers will often find it hard to win many allies among us ex Muslims or 'secular Muslims' as you call it.  For whatever distaste or dislike we have of the religion and the actions of the people, these are still our families and friends and even ourselves that are the object of hate.  I see a parody cartoon of an Arab Muslim man on an anti Islaamic website, and I see the men in my family, good family men.  It's a battle we will fight on two fronts: one against Muslims spreading their dawahganda and one against those who should be our allies but who are instead fighting dawahganda with the tools of fear and racism along with the truth.  

We accept it when young Muslim hot heads talk about being prepared to die for their Muslim brothers and sisters in far off lands.

I have to be honest with you, I think that the silence that British and American society have faced this rhetoric with is indicative of a lack of will, but not an acceptance of it.  It's more like 'Yeah, but what's on the television tonight?'  And those Muslims who do try to speak up against hot heads like this are silenced by their community and find a lack of support in the wider country.  A lot of the more liberal and secular leaning Muslims have seen their predecessors exploited and misused by non Muslims who often have that race and accuracy problem, so we're avoiding that scene.  

It's almost as if through sheer force of will radical and moderate Muslims have convinced the world that Islam is more than just a religion and should be treated with more respect than anything else.

Funny, I see the same thing with Roman Catholics and Jews.  I don't think Muslims are as singular and unique as a lot of non Muslim anti Islaam activists think they are.  The problem isn't Islaam, per se. The problem is authority centered, politicised religions.  Recent events with the Catholic church in the USA have shown that they are nothing if not politicised. I resent them trying to push their rules on a person as much as I resent the non centralised Muslims trying to do so.

One good thing that has come from this situation is it has shook up the fuzzy outdated thinking of the 68'ers

Here is a tip from within the Muslim community, as you asked. That is to stop pairing the fight against Islaamic authoritarianism with attacks on political liberalism and realise that the 60s are over.  We are as much affected today by the movements of the 60s as we are by the emergence of Christian flavored conservativism in the 80s.  From what I have seen, most ex Muslims are socially and politically liberal, so the conservative flavor to some of these attacks on Islaam - pairing tolerance of Muslims with tolerance of gays, pro choice laws, and so on -- is completely unappealing and makes a lot of the anti Islaam movement look nutty.  It reminds me of how Falwell and Robertson blamed 9/11 - a Muslim authored crime - on gays and pro choice activists and pagans.  

This is why I have chosen to make my niche in a place where there is an active group of ex Muslims involved. People who knew our religion and also know the problems with it and the problems with the communities.  You can read as many non Muslim authored books as you like, but you did not sit at the feet of the imam at the khutbaas for half your life, and you did not see what goes on behind closed doors.  I find other anti Islaamic forums and sites are just hateful hateful places and I don't hate Muslims.  Nor do I hate Islaam anymore than any other religion.  But I recognise the problems that are growing - such as the use of Shariah arbitration in the UK or Canada.  You can find common ground and support people with out the rest of that stuff.  Respect is the key, as is recognising that racism is part and parcel of the non Muslim anti Islaamic movement.  I honestly do not trust pretty much any of the people in this movement who were never Muslim because of this.

[this space for rent]
     Reply #7 - November 19, 2008, 06:47 PM

Now when you say "that there are racists" who use attacks on Islam to curb immigration would you say that anyone who criticises Islam and advocates tightening up immigration is a racist because I would have to disagree.

It is my fault - I didn't get the right words to express what I really wanted to.

I meant to say that criticism of Islam as a religion should not be used in the way - for example - the BNP use it - to further their own bigoted political agenda. Curbing immigration was not a good example - and I certainly don't think anyone who argues for it is a bigot - what I meant was the sort of ignorant argument that "Islam is bad THEREFORE we should send all the Pakis back to where they came from"

How common are the ideas of reactionary Muslim solidarity, Islamic perfection and Mohammad emulation with moderate Muslims because for me it all seems like a recepie for extremism.

Without doubt most Muslims have this sense that Muslims are all brothers & sisters - though this is not any sort of sinister thing in most cases - and is much like most other groups feel a certain solidarity. As I said regarding the hadith about "Love for your brother that which you love for yourself" most ordinary Muslims regard that all people are also their brothers in humanity - only the most narrow-minded Salafis would not.

As regards Muhammad as the perfect example - most Muslims will pay lip-service to that ideal - but for most Muslims their 'emulation' doesn't run very deep. Again it is only the most narrow-minded of Salafis and Jihadis that would seek to follow the most onerous examples of Muhammad's behaviour.
     Reply #8 - November 19, 2008, 06:49 PM

The idea that there is an almost supernatural connection between Muslim brothers and sisters which crosses borders, as if Islam was itself a living entity. Add to that dogmatically seeing a harsh warlord and politician like Mohammad as a perfect role model and I can see why Islam is in such a crisis.  ...

Here is an example of how you are viewing Islaam only with your non Muslim glasses.  I invite you to put on a Muslims' pair and see things from that side.  You talk about Muhammad as a harsh warlord and politician and that definitely comes across in the hadiths, but that is not how 'moderate' Muslims or any Muslims see him.

The heart of Sufism is the love and praise of Muhammad.  They see him as a paragon of etiquette,  modesty, humility, faith and devotion.  His actions in war or the raiding of the caravans are taught to us as god commanded actions taken after years of oppression.  That may not be the way it went down, I'm just telling you  how Muslims see it. Emulation of Muhammad does not have to be a negative thing.  For all those hadiths that are so ugly, people like the Sufis or your average Muslim at the average mosque focuses on hadiths about being good to orphans, treating others kindly, giving charity, standing in prayer for the night, etc.  I know people here might laugh at this, and I would too, but I want you to see that it's not all bad to say 'Prophet Muhammad is our role model.'  

You speak of a warlord and how emulation of him by moderates leads to extremism, but I see my family and friends giving away thousands of pounds in charity every year because they believe that they are emulating him.  

I personally think the world would be better off without Islaam and most other religions, but Islaam isn't going anywhere.  It's not going to disappear.  What we can do, whether we're non Muslims who care about our world, or secular Muslims or ex Muslims is emphasise these types of teachings, and be fair to people.  I never met a Muslim who wasn't a complete psycho job who thought that all of the hadiths and ayaat about war and fighting meant that they should go rob a bank or join the jihaad somewhere.  Like you say, most people want peaceful lives.

As for the idea that Islaam is perfect - this is across the board. Islaam is perfect, Muslims aren't. That was our mantra.  Depending on what type of Muslim you are, you may believe that all interpretations are inspired and therefore almost faultless or that interpretations are the problems, and we should just look to the Quran or the Quran and Sunnah.  You will not find many Muslims, even from the liberal progressive Muslims, who will say that the Quran is anything but the perfect and complete word of god.  I don't know about others here, but for me what kept me from leaving Islaam even after I didn't really believe in god anymore was that belief that Islaam is perfect.  It is really drilled into you, but it is not different than how productive, peaceful Christians of various stripes think their religion is perfect.  

Muslim solidarity - I don't think this is as strong an idea. There are a lot of schisms within Islaam, and I don't just mean Shiah and Sunni.  There are schisms and hatred based on interpretation, ethnicity and race, and even what part of the homeland you are from.  It's more like a vague ideal concept but not a whole lot of Muslims think it is happening or even that it is possible 'until the Mahdi comes and the Masih returns'.  I heard that one a lot and believed it as well.

[this space for rent]
     Reply #9 - November 19, 2008, 07:44 PM

Just a quick reply to Fading, I will reply properly tomorrow. In your first reply you mention the political nature of Christianity. This is where our different countries changes our experience of things. I guess you are from America? Am I right?

Well in the UK Christianity really doesn't have a very strong following. The Irish Catholics have been turning their backs on the church in large numbers for over a decade now and the Church of England's following has dwindled to the point that churches have been turned into housing, restaurants and even pubs.

In England no politician could get very far in politics if he bought up god in his speeches. God and religion talk in UK politics is a perfect impediment to high office. It's totally opposite to the US. We are practically a secular nation.

Islam and African and Brazilian evangelical Christianity have more presence in the UK than anything indigenous.

What you said about the worldwide Muslim community being full of schisms, rivalries, feuds and infighting is certainly true. It's the same with all religions but the solidarity seems to materialise when there is a dispute between Muslims and non Muslims then there seems to be a solidarity reflex.

It doesn't matter who is right if there is a conflict between Muslims and non muslims the whole worldwide Ummah business kicks into action. I think that this was highlighted by how so many Muslims buried the hatchet with the hated Saddam once he was attacked by the US.

Chat tomorrow I need me kip. parrot 
     Reply #10 - November 20, 2008, 12:44 AM

I and many muslims I know didn't bury the hatchet with Saddam until he died saying the shahada... Even though we disagreed with attacking him.

I chose to get circumcised at 17, don't tell me I never believed.
     Reply #11 - November 20, 2008, 06:11 AM

I think that this was highlighted by how so many Muslims buried the hatchet with the hated Saddam once he was attacked by the US.

Chat tomorrow I need me kip. parrot 

I don't think so at all.  I don't know anyone except for super Sunnis who really had any respect for him, even after he died.  I think a lot of Muslims were opposed to the invasion of Iraq, which is something else.  Millions of people all over the world were opposed to the invasion and a lot of them weren't Muslim.  When I was Muslim I just thought why the hell can't the CIA go in there and just put a poison dart in his neck or something.  I hated him but I did not think there was a legitimate reason to go to war. Not because it was a Muslim country but because it was clearly an invalid basis for war.

I mean, initially Iranians were supporting it and basically saying "Fuck the Iraqis this is what they deserve." I also know Kuwaitis and other Khaliji who felt the same.  I have heard Arabs say "they brought it on themselves" by not taking care of Saddam themselves. (I used to live in an Arab country until recently). Also, a lot of Muslims still say oh it is okay to attack such and such, they are Shia, oh it is okay to attack that group they are Sunni. But really I think the thing is that they don't like the US or non Muslims going against the Muslims. They want to do it themselves, and we saw that when the Shia and Sunni went after each other and against the Kurds as soon as they  had a chance in Iraq. There is no unity.  Maybe this is something else that you see when you are 'inside' vs. outside.  Plus me and my brother against my cousin, me and my cousin against the world. 

I think most Muslims are hypocrites on the unity thing.   It's one of the fairy tales they tell to wrangle in new converts and make themselves look good.  It's Palestine and Kashmir and then sometimes Iraq and nothing else. See how they will not speak against the violence in Darfur, even though the victims are Muslims?  And very few people other than the jihadis and people from there care about places like Chechnya other than in a vauge way of 'Oh that is too bad that they're suffering.'

[this space for rent]
     Reply #12 - November 20, 2008, 07:12 AM

(I used to live in an Arab country until recently)

Sidenote: So you're out for good now. Glad for you. Hope that all is, and goes, well for you.

Reply #13 - November 20, 2008, 07:59 AM

(I used to live in an Arab country until recently)

Sidenote: So you're out for good now. Glad for you. Hope that all is, and goes, well for you.

Yes.  I am still getting my bearings.  Going from the Middle East to the West is kind of a paradigm shift. Not because of how people dress but for things like the way the supermarkets have so many strange things in them.  You can get prepared food for anything.  Dinner in a box, just add meat.  One thing about the Middle East is that you have to make a lot of things from scratch or nearly scratch and I think it is much healthier.  If we wanted spaghetti, we made our own fresh sauce with tomatoes and herbs, rather than opening up a jar. 

And the variety is mind boggling.  Also, I can't get over how clean everything is.  There aren't garbage and animal remains and rotting waste everywhere.  My shoes and the bottoms of my clothes were all greyish brown from the garbage and dirt everywhere. You just accept that your shoes and clothes will look like that. And here, you don't have to do that.   grin12

Also, people stop at stop signs. And they don't turn out in front of dangerously close oncoming cars. This has been hard to adjust to. I keep telling people I am in the car with 'Aright, go already would you?' because to my ME eyes, it seems like there is plenty of room for them to turn onto a busy street.   piggy

I still get so disoriented in the store, library, convenience store, any place like that because there is so much to look at and touch.  I have to look at everything to see if I am getting what I really want.   parrot

[this space for rent]
     Reply #14 - November 20, 2008, 08:08 AM

Wow, I can't imagine.

Reply #15 - November 20, 2008, 10:26 AM

Hello Fading, I have moved from the West to a Buddhist country in Asia. We are going through the same things but in reverse.

At home everything is clean out here the sewers are open and stray dogs chew rubbish and growl at passers by on every street corner.

We do have western style supermarkets but I prefer going to the traditional markets. One thing is that restaurants and street food is so good and cheap I don't have to cook if I don't want too. Whereas in London I could only afford to eat out once a month out here I eat out everyday.

What I most hate about living in the West is the lack of connection.

People live in little privacy bubbles and take themselves very seriously, smiles are rationed. If you are on your own in the UK you are on your own.

It's ok to make friendly small talk with strangers but not to impose on them by making a proper connection. If I smile at women in London the usual reaction is an impassive nod or a withering look that says "Not interested, don't even think about it buster" After 30 yrs of that you become rather cynical.

Growing up in London instead of thinking "Anything is possible" I always thought "A few things are possible once your get the pay rise up to 15,000 pounds a year" If your lucky you never know you might get a council house in Edmonton and a job delivering cement. Oh the joys of London life. We are not all fashion editors for The Guardian don't you know Tongue

In Asia I work 18 hours a week doing a job that benefits others. I can walk out of my house and grab some fried rice for 50p then join the locals for a beer and be welcomed. If I smile at a woman she is either friendly or flattered no suspicion or high and mighty brush offs. Smiles are practically mandatory where I live.

I feel like I'm part of humanity for the first time in my life instead of scratching out an existence on the peripheries. In the West I'm a low earning private individual in a world of private individuality where everyone would like to stay private thank you very much  finmad

I firmly believe you can be born into the wrong culture. Asia is the place for me dance

Reply #16 - November 20, 2008, 10:51 AM

Faithfreedom is a farce, it's just soooo anti that it can't be taken seriously even though Ali Sina makes valid points about Mohammad he comes across as someone who is foaming at the mouth.

The forums there just seem to be childish shouting matches between crazy fundies who call for blood and ex Muslims who call Muhammad Moohammad and shout pedophile worshiper at the top of their lungs whenever a Muslim shows up.

Thankfully this forum is a model of decorum and long may it stay like this Afro

Funny you should say that. FFI and JihadChat see themselves as models of decorum compared to us. Why? Well, because they don't allow uncensored swearing. No, I'm not joking. Calling Muslims vermin is fine. Calling for Mecca to be nuked is fine. Saying fuck is a huge no no. Totally daft but they really do think they're the civilised ones.

Anyway yes, the reason we started this place is because we were too embarrassed too stay at FFI. We were determined to not end up running another snakepit so we made a point of slamming anyone who tried it on. Seems to work ok.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #17 - November 20, 2008, 10:52 AM

Hi Brucepig, nice to hear you're dwelling somewhere convivial. So do I and it's in the UK.
    Are you sure you're not confusing culture and type of place? In large towns and cities, we are, of necessity, largely amongst strangers and since humans can only interact on a daily basis with a certain number of people, we tend to blank out most of those 'extra to requirements'.

People who live in rural areas, however, seek every opportunity to greet even strangers, to the extent that to a townie they appear to be too needy for contact and therefore may want something.

It's all about personal space: In town, we don't have enough of the stuff and are forced into closer proximity than is really comfortable. when we feel our space is threatened we tend to put up our defences.

In the countryside , by comparison, we have acres of it, to the extent that we greet people from a much greater distance away and thus have to raise our voices to a level that would invite suspicion or a black eye in town. This is probably the origin of the country bumpkin or hick.
    I was raised in a small village and observed this on a daily basis and I still never feel comfortable in a large town. Cities give me the heebies - I go in for a purpose and can't wait to leave ASAP.
    When I'm out dog walking around home say, I meet people and we both go out of our way to be civil by giving out subtle body language  over100 metres away. You can even tell if someone's got the time or inclination to talk today or not and you set your sail accordingly. And they too to you.
    City folk appear to be dead-eyed to someone raised in the great wide open. And country folk appear over -friendly to alot of city folk.

So, where were you raised, town or country; where did you feel that folk were less than friendly, and what's the place like, that you're in now?

Religion is ignorance giftwrapped in lyricism.
     Reply #18 - November 20, 2008, 05:58 PM

Hello sojournolomuless, I have opened another thread in Miscellaneous called

Culture Shock. The difference of living in the West, The Middle East or Asia

Otherwise this thread will be totally derailed.

I reply to you there.
     Reply #19 - November 20, 2008, 07:37 PM

Love the sojourner muleless. See you over there.

Religion is ignorance giftwrapped in lyricism.
     Reply #20 - November 20, 2008, 09:17 PM

Otherwise this thread will be totally derailed.

Derailing threads is our M.O.

Reply #21 - November 21, 2008, 06:44 AM

Anyway yes, the reason we started this place is because we were too embarrassed too stay at FFI. We were determined to not end up running another snakepit so we made a point of slamming anyone who tried it on. Seems to work ok.

thnkyu for that.

[this space for rent]
     Reply #22 - November 21, 2008, 06:55 AM

You're welcome.  grin12

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »