Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Christ-like anti-rape poster causes outrage in Italy

(Read 4328 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Christ-like anti-rape poster causes outrage in Italy
     OP - November 14, 2008, 06:05 PM

Christ-like anti-rape poster causes outrage in Italy
    An anti-rape poster showing a naked woman lying on a bed in a Christ-like pose has been condemned by angry Italian politicians as blasphemous.

The poster, in which the woman's groin is discreetly covered by a white sheet but her breasts are bare, was commissioned by Italy's rape crisis helpline to persuade more victims of sexual assault to speak out.

But the poster, designed to publicise the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women on Nov 25, has been condemned as sacrilegious by conservative politicians in Milan, who have vowed to stop 500 copies from being posted around the northern industrial city.

"I'll do everything in my power to stop this poster going up," said a city councillor, Maurizio Cadeo.

He and other right-wing councillors said the poster was "blasphemous" and would offend the religious beliefs of many Italians.

"We're calling for the poster to be withdrawn because an important day like this should not be debased by such a sexual provocation," said councillor Carlo Fidanza, a member of the right-wing National Alliance party.

But the president of the Telefono Donna rape helpline, Stefania Bartochetti, said she was surprised by the controversy because the poster had raised no objections in other Italian cities.

"As a Catholic I can't see anything offensive or blasphemous. We chose a strong image to encourage more rape victims to break their silence," she said.

The poster poses the question: 'Who Pays For Man's Sins?' and a caption which reads "Only four per cent of women who suffer sexual violence report their assailants."

Left-leaning politicians said their opponents' concerns were out of step with contemporary Italian society.

"If you applied these standards to Italian television, you'd have to get rid of 70 per cent of what the main channels broadcast," said Pierfrancesco Majorino, of the Democratic Party.

I was not blessed with the ability to have blind faith. I cant beleive something just because someone says its true.
  • Re: Christ-like anti-rape poster causes outrage in Italy
     Reply #1 - November 14, 2008, 08:56 PM

I agree with this:

"As a Catholic I can't see anything offensive or blasphemous. We chose a strong image to encourage more rape victims to break their silence," she said.

The poster poses the question: 'Who Pays For Man's Sins?' and a caption which reads "Only four per cent of women who suffer sexual violence report their assailants."

Perfect slogan for the society they're targeting. Stuff the right wing idiots.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #2 - November 14, 2008, 09:00 PM

Genious. It's certainlly shoved rape-awareness up the agenda.

Religion is ignorance giftwrapped in lyricism.
     Reply #3 - November 14, 2008, 09:19 PM

Finally, news with pictures to back them up.

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #4 - November 15, 2008, 03:25 AM

It's a great image.

I chose to get circumcised at 17, don't tell me I never believed.
     Reply #5 - November 15, 2008, 04:37 AM

I think it's nice too. There ought to be more blasphemous images so people get used to it.

"Poor human nature, what horrible crimes have been committed in thy name!"
    - Emma Goldman
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »