Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: The Sabbath?

(Read 19672 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: The Sabbath?
     Reply #30 - November 15, 2008, 10:25 AM

I'm amazed Dio didn't go apeshit about the pagan festivals. She usually does when they're mentioned. yes

Maybe she's learned her lesson Smiley

Ha Ha.
     Reply #31 - November 15, 2008, 10:40 AM

Hey, this is Dio we're talking about.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #32 - November 15, 2008, 11:39 AM

Hey, this is Dio we're talking about.

Stranger things have happened. Baal, apparently, did 'something good'  on FFI, though what that was, I have no idea Smiley

Ha Ha.
     Reply #33 - November 15, 2008, 03:01 PM

The Sabbath was actually given to the Jews, not to the Christians. Saurday has always been the Sabbath and will always be for the Jews.

Jesus himself observed Sabbath but sinned when he let his disciples break the Law and the Jews saw them breaking it.

For Christians, there is really no Sabbath because courtesy Jesus they have made themselves free of the Law.

BMZ

Reply #34 - November 15, 2008, 03:14 PM

Jesus let his disciples break the law? I'm pretty sure it was Paul, not J-man.

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish, but to fulfill." Matt 5:17

I chose to get circumcised at 17, don't tell me I never believed.
     Reply #35 - November 15, 2008, 03:45 PM

While I'm quoting the Bible...

There's this certain passage I have memorized, Ezekiel 25:17:

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you."

I chose to get circumcised at 17, don't tell me I never believed.
     Reply #36 - November 15, 2008, 05:11 PM

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you."

Pulp fiction  Tongue

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #37 - November 15, 2008, 05:22 PM

It was decided on Sunday by a show of hands at the council of Nicea, in the 3rd century, or something. 

Or, alternatively, its as good a day as any.

Such are the weighty decisions of Christian doctrine taken. idiot2

Nope - sunday has been "The Lord´s day" from gospel times on - it´s the day of Jesus´resurrection and early christians started celebrating it instead of saturday to mark this, albeit there was some disagreement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunday

So what did people do on sunday before christianity came along?

Reply #38 - November 15, 2008, 05:26 PM

you do know that "from gospel times" hardly refers to PRE-christian times?  Roll Eyes
     Reply #39 - November 15, 2008, 05:38 PM

I'm amazed Dio didn't go apeshit about the pagan festivals. She usually does when they're mentioned. yes

I think she would have a major conniption fit over the Burning Man Festival which IMO is currently the worlds biggest pagan celebration.

Official web site.

Reply #40 - November 15, 2008, 05:39 PM

I think she would have a major conniption fit over the Burning Man Festival which IMO is currently the worlds biggest pagan celebration.

Official web site.

a-historical shyte remains a-historical shyte, how many times it gets repeated, and how many dodo-sheep keep re-bleating it. Roll Eyes
     Reply #41 - November 15, 2008, 05:57 PM

Yep, I can just hear those chains rattling.  Cheesy
     Reply #42 - November 15, 2008, 09:11 PM

Official web site.

a-historical shyte remains a-historical shyte, how many times it gets repeated, and how many dodo-sheep keep re-bleating it. Roll Eyes

You're right. Never have understood that daft zombie cult. parrot

Reply #43 - November 15, 2008, 09:32 PM

So, anyone, why is it called SUNday?

Religion is ignorance giftwrapped in lyricism.
     Reply #44 - November 15, 2008, 09:35 PM

Because it was dedicated to a sun deity. Thursday comes from Thor's Day. Wednesday comes from Wodin's Day. Monday comes from Moon day, etc, etc.

Reply #45 - November 15, 2008, 09:57 PM

Because it was dedicated to a sun deity. Thursday comes from Thor's Day. Wednesday comes from Wodin's Day. Monday comes from Moon day, etc, etc.

Yes I know all that. It was a rhetorical proposition. Implicit, was the question 'Well, why didn't they rename it  "Cruxday"  or something?'

Reply #46 - November 15, 2008, 10:02 PM

Gotcha. Well Crux Day was Friday so Sunday should be Zombie Day. bunny

Reply #47 - November 16, 2008, 01:50 AM

Pulp fiction  Tongue

Ezekiel is a great book.......for atheists. Cheesy

Here's another snippet of wisdom from the Book of Ezekiel.....

And if the prophet be deceived when he hath spoken a thing, I the LORD have deceived that prophet, and I will stretch out my hand upon him, and will destroy him.--Ezekiel 14:9

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #48 - November 16, 2008, 03:32 AM

So what did people do on sunday before christianity came along?

That was a good one, A_B.  Cheesy

BMZ
     Reply #49 - November 16, 2008, 09:40 AM

***In Exodus  the  command is to never create any type of image to bow down to.***

Interesting that you should bring that up, Jack. Another sign that there's nothing inerrant or divinely inspired in the scriptures and that the whole thing is written by man for political ends is that The King James Version of the Bible and the version used by the Roman Catlic Church differ in their presentation of the 'ten' commandments.

I know the main focus of these boards is on the Koran, but this is mabe still on topic in the interests of exposing false teachings (and doesn't the Koran also incorporate these ten sacred rules?): here's the commandments in the shorthand of modern language ...

King James Bible and Jewish scripture ten commandments:

1. You shall have no other gods but me.
       2. You shall not make unto you any graven images
       3. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain
       4. You shall remember the Sabbath and keep it holy
       5. Honor your mother and father
       6. You shall not murder
       7. You shall not commit adultery
       8. You shall not steal
       9. You shall not bear false witness
      10. You shall not covet anything that belongs to your neighbor

Catholic Ten Commandments:

1. I, the Lord, am your God. You shall not have other gods besides me.
       2. You shall not take the name of the Lord God in vain
       3. Remember to keep holy the Lord's Day
       4. Honor your father and your mother
       5. You shall not kill
       6. You shall not commit adultery
       7. You shall not steal
       8. You shall not bear false witness
       9. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife
      10. You shall not covet your neighbor's goods

You'll notice that the Catholics (with such a lucrative business based on its many saints) loses the second commandment about graven images altogether and splits the last commandment into two to make a round ten. Sneaky, eh?

'Inerrant word of God'? Who's kiddin' who? Neil

We are not here to fight religion. We are here to make religion irrelevant. NM
     Reply #50 - November 16, 2008, 09:43 AM

They certainly seem to have cornered the market on idolatry. I think it was probably the Roman influence that did it.

Reply #51 - November 16, 2008, 09:56 AM

King James Bible and Jewish scripture ten commandments:

1. You shall have no other gods but me.
       2. You shall not make unto you any graven images
       3. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain
       4. You shall remember the Sabbath and keep it holy
       5. Honor your mother and father
       6. You shall not murder
       7. You shall not commit adultery
       8. You shall not steal
       9. You shall not bear false witness
      10. You shall not covet anything that belongs to your neighbor

Catholic Ten Commandments:

1. I, the Lord, am your God. You shall not have other gods besides me.
       2. You shall not take the name of the Lord God in vain
       3. Remember to keep holy the Lord's Day
       4. Honor your father and your mother
       5. You shall not kill
       6. You shall not commit adultery
       7. You shall not steal
       8. You shall not bear false witness
       9. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife
      10. You shall not covet your neighbor's goods

You'll notice that the Catholics (with such a lucrative business based on its many saints) loses the second commandment about graven images altogether and splits the last commandment into two to make a round ten. Sneaky, eh?

'Inerrant word of God'? Who's kiddin' who? Neil

That's interesting, neil - and how do Christians explain this?
     Reply #52 - November 16, 2008, 09:59 AM

I'm really not keen on the one about not committing adultery. That was a seriously bad move on god's part. I mean what's the point of being an adult if you can't commit adultery? Roll Eyes

Reply #53 - November 16, 2008, 10:08 AM

***They certainly seem to have cornered the market on idolatry. I think it was probably the Roman influence that did it***

Goes back to what was mentioned in another thread (Sabbath) about Chistian missionaries converting pagans (including Roman citizens) by assimilating the traditions of older religions to make Christianity more readily acceptable, Osmanthus.

Each of the early saints stood in for a pagan god -- they each were/are patron of some facet of nature, geography or life ... patron saint of the sea, patron saint of a specific town or city, patron saint of builders, whatever. An entirely pagan construct.

Of course, the RC Church soon cottoned onto the spin-off commercial value of pilgrimages to saintly shrines and the sale of icons and alleged relics.

Changing the original Ten Commandments to allow for all this nosense was, quite simply, good business. And there's still a roaring trade, encouraged by the Church and to its massive financial benefit, even in the 21st Century. The Vatican is about to open its own airline to service pilgrims to shrines they own around the world, I read recenly.

Ron L. Hubbard (founder of the nonsensicle Cuhrch of Scientology) famously said: "If you want to get rich, start a religion." Probably the only true words he ever uttered.

Hoots. Neil

PS: Sorry if I seem to have more typos in my post than most (Roman Catlic Church earlier). Think I need yet another new keyboard -- not all keys I hit register if I type at normal speed. I go through keyboards at a heck of a rate; probably because I spent most of my life on old mechanical typewriters and tend to be a bit heavy-handed as a result. N

Reply #54 - November 16, 2008, 10:11 AM

Well some of them didn't just stand in for pagan deities. They bloody well are pagan deities. The black virgins throughout Europe are prime examples.

Reply #55 - November 16, 2008, 03:22 PM

Certainly, Osmanthus, some early saints are straight cribs.

***That's interesting, neil - and how do Christians explain this?***

I've never heard them try, Hassan, and I've never found any attempt at explanation on the web.

As far as evangelical Christians are concerned, of course, they'd simply tell you that their set of rules is a direct translation from the Hebrew original (kinda fun when you realise that the Hebrew language had not even developed at the alleged time of Moses when the Commandments were crafted) and that Catholoics aren't true Christians, anyway, so waddya expect.

Catholics -- with a lot more practice in explaining away nonsense with all kinds of impressive theological gymnastics -- will no doubt have a pat answer if you can find the guy who has it as you're passed from 'authority' to 'authority'. Of course, the RC version of the bible that most lay Catholics have doesn't contain the Old Testament, so it's a question that would baffle most of the rank and file. I'm sure those of the etablishment who have spotted the huge difference between the Torah texts and their own (surely that means all of them) don't go aound mentioning it at cocktail parties and jumble sales.

Cheers. Neil

Reply #56 - November 16, 2008, 03:53 PM

Certainly, Osmanthus, some early saints are straight cribs.

***That's interesting, neil - and how do Christians explain this?***

I've never heard them try, Hassan, and I've never found any attempt at explanation on the web.

As far as evangelical Christians are concerned, of course, they'd simply tell you that their set of rules is a direct translation from the Hebrew original (kinda fun when you realise that the Hebrew language had not even developed at the alleged time of Moses when the Commandments were crafted) and that Catholoics aren't true Christians, anyway, so waddya expect.

Catholics -- with a lot more practice in explaining away nonsense with all kinds of impressive theological gymnastics -- will no doubt have a pat answer if you can find the guy who has it as you're passed from 'authority' to 'authority'. Of course, the RC version of the bible that most lay Catholics have doesn't contain the Old Testament, so it's a question that would baffle most of the rank and file. I'm sure those of the etablishment who have spotted the huge difference between the Torah texts and their own (surely that means all of them) don't go aound mentioning it at cocktail parties and jumble sales.

Cheers. Neil

Thanks, Neil.

I honesttly don't understand why more people don't realise that the all religions are nonsense.

btw did you see the clip I posted of George Carlin talking about the 10 commandments - he whittles it down to 2 commandments - it is obviously comedy, but he makes some valid points.

http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=3714.0

Reply #57 - November 16, 2008, 07:25 PM

Gotcha. Well Crux Day was Friday so Sunday should be Zombie Day. bunny

Cheesy Cheesy parrot
    We don't have a zombie so a parrot'll have to do.

Reply #58 - November 17, 2008, 07:59 AM

***Carlin talking about the 10 commandments***

Yep, I saw that, Hassan. Thanks. Hilariously presented but, as usual, common sense from Carlin.

Actually, there's absolutely nothing in the Ten commandments -- other than the ambiguous demands of monotheism -- that was new, even in the time in which they were allegedly passed down. Morality is in place in spite of religion rather than because of it.

Cheers. Neil

Reply #59 - November 17, 2008, 07:10 PM

Official web site.

Conniption? brilliant, give me the definition and I'll  add that one to my dictionary.

• Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »