Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: UN chief says Iraqi women & Christians targeted in violence

(Read 3194 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • UN chief says Iraqi women & Christians targeted in violence
     OP - November 13, 2008, 05:38 AM

UN chief says Iraqi women & Christians targeted in violence

Crimes against women and Christians in Iraq are among the human rights abuses that persist amid a drop in overall violence in the predominantly Muslim nation, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said today.

"Grave and systematic human rights violations remain constant, but are less visible and less widely reported'' than attacks such as the bombing that killed at least 25 Iraqis today in Baghdad, Ban said in a report to the UN Security Council. "Targeted assassinations of journalists, political activists, public officials and pilgrims remain a deeply worrying feature of the security picture.''

Ban said the world body has received many accounts of "minority groups being forced to identify themselves as either Arabs or Kurds and prohibited from using their own languages.'' They also have been "forced to sell their property at low prices'' and had their land and other economic assets confiscated, he said.

More than 2,200 Christian families fled the northern city of Mosul to escape sectarian killings in October, Ban said.

There has been "no significant improvement'' in women's rights, Ban said, noting reports of "alleged suicides'' and so- called honor crimes that continue to be reported with "alarming regularity.'' Such crimes involve the killings of women by male relatives for perceived dishonor to a family.

Overall, violence ebbed in Iraq this year after an increase in U.S. troops and support from Sunni tribesmen against al-Qaeda. Attacks average four a day, 83 percent less than in 2007, according to the U.S. military.

Today's attack was the worst in Baghdad since a car bombing on June 17 killed 51 people and wounded 75 others.

Ban acknowledged the security gains, which he called "fragile,'' while saying the rights violations pose a "serious concern'' and "require political will, resources and long-term commitment to eliminate.''

Sounds like the place is still a disaster area, and it can't all be blamed on the Yanks. It isn't the Yanks who are doing most of the killing or persecuting women and minorities. Whatever their faults I'm not sure them going home would actually improve the situation, except maybe for those Iraqis who have their own militias. What a nightmare.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
  • Re: UN chief says Iraqi women & Christians targeted in violence
     Reply #1 - November 13, 2008, 11:35 AM

Frankly, from what I have gathered Iraqi women had it pretty good under Saddam, although he was a b*****d to the Kurds.

I fear that Iraq will have a full fledged Islamic revolution like Iran did 30 years ago.  As always for the women it's one step forward, two steps back.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The sleeper has awakened -  Dune

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
     Reply #2 - November 13, 2008, 06:14 PM

Iraq under Saddam was the most secular of all the Arab countries put together.

I was not blessed with the ability to have blind faith. I cant beleive something just because someone says its true.
     Reply #3 - November 13, 2008, 09:00 PM

I have to admit that in practical terms he did have his good points. It's just a pity he was such an arsehole about it in other ways. Certainly the current situation doesn't seem to be any improvement for the Iraqi people as a whole. Mind you I'm not one of them so I can't give a definitive opinion on that. I wonder if Iris has any feedback from other Iraqis on this.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »