Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Baby P

(Read 6189 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Baby P
     OP - November 12, 2008, 09:33 PM

Two men have been found guilty of causing or allowing the death of a 17-month-old boy. The child's mother had already admitted allowing or causing the child's death.

The trial highlighted a catalogue of missed opportunities to save his life and the case has chilling echoes of the death of Victoria Climbie.

The boy's mother denied knowing anything about bloodstains

On 2 August 2007 police announced they were dropping an investigation into allegations of child abuse they had launched the previous December.

Baby P's mother was elated and told social workers she would go home to hug her son and bake cakes.

The next morning he was dead.

Baby P, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was pronounced dead shortly after midday on 3 August at the North Middlesex Hospital in Edmonton, north London.

But it was already clear when an ambulance arrived at his Tottenham home 45 minutes earlier that he had been dead for some time.

His mother described him in her 999 call as "blue, cold and stiff." In his short life he had suffered repeated - and unexplained - injuries.

The post-mortem examination revealed Baby P had suffered:

• Eight broken ribs and a broken back, with another area of bleeding around the spine at neck level.

• Numerous bruises, cuts and abrasions, including a deep tear to his left ear lobe, which had been pulled away from his head.

• Severe lacerations to the top of his head, including a large gouge which could have been caused by a dog bite.

• Blackened finger- and toenails, with several nails missing; the middle finger of his right hand was without a nail and its tip was also missing, as if it had been sliced off.

• A tear to his fraenulum, the strip of skin between the middle of the upper lip and the gum, which had partially healed.

• One of his front teeth had also been knocked out and was found in his colon. He had swallowed it.

The jury was not shown photographs of the child's actual injuries because it would be too upsetting but was shown computer generated images of his injuries.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7708398.stm

Haringey social services must be the most incompetent set of people in the country.  After the Victoria Climbie case, how could they allow that to happen again?  And how can a doctor miss the fact that their patient has a broken spine and 8 broken ribs? finmad

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
  • Re: Baby P
     Reply #1 - November 12, 2008, 10:09 PM

Why the bloody hell didn't these idiots just give the baby to a foster home? They obviously didn't want to look after it. Why beat the poor kid to death?

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #2 - November 12, 2008, 11:05 PM

Why the bloody hell didn't these idiots just give the baby to a foster home? They obviously didn't want to look after it. Why beat the poor kid to death?

Power, power over a human life. Some people feel powerful when they hold someone helpless to their whims.

Things like this make me want to institute eye for an eye punishment. Let's see how long it takes before they beg for it to stop.

Oh yes, mandatory sterilization for mother and father.

You don't do crap like that to infants. Angry

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I remain.
     Reply #3 - November 12, 2008, 11:09 PM

The father wasn't involved in the abuse, it was the mother and her boyfriend, along with another man who seems to have been their lodger.  I heard the father is now criticising social services for not stopping it, which makes me want to ask him - where the hell were you all that time?  This abuse took place over many months, and he never paid enough attention to his own child to notice that he was covered in cuts and bruises and missing fingernails. Cry

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #4 - November 12, 2008, 11:19 PM

The father wasn't involved in the abuse, it was the mother and her boyfriend, along with another man who seems to have been their lodger.  I heard the father is now criticising social services for not stopping it, which makes me want to ask him - where the hell were you all that time?  This abuse took place over many months, and he never paid enough attention to his own child to notice that he was covered in cuts and bruises and missing fingernails. Cry

Okay, sterilization for all involved, including the father for being such an asshat.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I remain.
     Reply #5 - November 13, 2008, 06:04 AM

That makes me so sad :( How could anyone subject a baby to that pain, and ultimately, death?  Cry
     Reply #6 - November 13, 2008, 11:38 AM

This story sickens me. 

I think the social workers who failed to spot the signes of abuse should be held accountable.  Granted, Social Servies are stretched thin but that is no excuse for neglect.

Appearantly on one occasion when they went around to check on Baby P they found him covered in chocolate and cream.  Did it not occur to them that maybe the parents covered him purposefully in the goop to cover up the scrapes and bruises.  Why did they not simply ask them to wipe it off or wipe it off themselves?!  finmad

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The sleeper has awakened -  Dune

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
     Reply #7 - November 13, 2008, 11:45 AM

The more I read about this case, the more I wonder what would a family have to do to prompt social services to take their children into care.  Apparently, the whole house stank of urine, there were 3 large dogs and some snakes living in the house, dead mice all over the floor, (to feed the snakes), and the lodger had his 15 year old girlfriend living there with him.

Both the baby and the underage girl should have been removed from the house.

Reply #8 - November 13, 2008, 01:27 PM

This story has got so many people talking, much like the victoria story did, but will it change the shitty policy of the social services? fuck no it won't.

In my experience it's the luck of the draw, you get a good social worker who is doing the job for the love of the job and the job gets done well, but mostly you get people who somehow went into the job without their heart in it and then you get shoddy work.  I've had experience with both and the shit social workers left behind my sister when they took me and my eldest into care and they only took us because I almost died.

What kind of social services charges a parent with child abuse yet leaves children in their care?

Social services are shit.

The people who did this are monsters, I believe the punishment should fit the crime, I know they will get a prison sentence, I just hope they get tortured by the other inmates.  finmad

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #9 - November 13, 2008, 01:46 PM

I know what you're saying Berbs.

I had a friend whose entire life and family was torn apart by the unecessary meddling of Social Services.  Because her infant son (who was born late in her life and was unexpected) was not gaining enough weight they automatically blamed her for malnourishment.  Took her son away from her and housed him with some Pakistani family who were litterally just off the plane as they were feeding him spicy foods and putting his clothes on backwards.  They also forbade her from living in the same house as her other two children, both in thier early-mid teens and she could only see them under supervision.

This was during Ramadan a couple of years ago and after she was booted out of her house by Social Services I felt it was my duty to go over and give her solace.  Her marriage was pushed to the brink, she had a breakdown but she finally got her children and her life back.  Now, this family are very intelligent people and their children are very well behaved and do well at school.  Why Social Services saw the need to tear them apart like this is beyond me.  Some babies just don't grow very fast and the fact that their son was born when both parents were middle aged may have had something to do with his not being able to matabolise his food.

When my friend's husband tried to sue Social Services and get compensation for all the damages caused they were told to take a hike!  WHAT NERVE!  finmad

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The sleeper has awakened -  Dune

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
     Reply #10 - November 13, 2008, 02:24 PM

When my friend's husband tried to sue Social Services and get compensation for all the damages caused they were told to take a hike!  WHAT NERVE!  finmad

Sorry for your friend, I know some of what she must have felt like. Social services have alot to answer for. 

My sister wants me to go and seek legal advice with her because she wants to sue social services for leaving her behind when we were taken into care, I have no idea whether there is a case so many years after but she is still very angry about it.

It just baffles me how any social worker can walk away from such clear signs of child abuse.  finmad

Reply #11 - November 13, 2008, 02:31 PM

Personally, I think the protection services do a reasonable job in difficult circumstances, but it's seems to be up to the dedicated individual worker on the ground to make a lashed up system work. In this case, the people on the ground don't appear to have been up to it . They and a solicitor involved have been reprimanded as a first step.
    I don't think it's possible to have a 100% water tight protection system though. Some one will always be evil enough and devious enough to find a way around restrictions placed on their behaviour.
    Even on this small forum, we have Berbs with one view and Nour with the opposite one. Too much 'interference' or not enough? An interesting conundrum.

Religion is ignorance giftwrapped in lyricism.
     Reply #12 - November 13, 2008, 02:36 PM

Personally, I think the protection services do a reasonable job in difficult circumstances, but it's seems to be up to the dedicated individual worker on the ground to make a lashed up system work. In this case, the people on the ground don't appear to have been up to it . They and a solicitor involved have been reprimanded as a first step.
    I don't think it's possible to have a 100% water tight protection system though. Some one will always be evil enough and devious enough to find a way around restrictions placed on their behaviour.
    Even on this small forum, we have Berbs with one view and Nour with the opposite one. Too much 'interference' or not enough? An interesting conundrum.

It's just that they appear to interfere when it's not necessary, but close cases where they are too dumb to see bruises behind chocolate, or too blind to see a broken beaten 17 month old baby.

I mean this baby was tortured, fingernails taken off, and STILL they closed the case. 

You can't get any more incompetent.

I think in child abuse cases there should be no softly softly approach.

Reply #13 - November 13, 2008, 02:54 PM

This would seem to be an open and shut case of incompetence, whether individual or group incomp.
    More generally, the public is in no position to judge performance because we don't get to know how many cases they deal with successfully.

Religion is ignorance giftwrapped in lyricism.
     Reply #14 - November 13, 2008, 02:56 PM

Sorry for your friend, I know some of what she must have felt like. Social services have alot to answer for. 

My sister wants me to go and seek legal advice with her because she wants to sue social services for leaving her behind when we were taken into care, I have no idea whether there is a case so many years after but she is still very angry about it.

It just baffles me how any social worker can walk away from such clear signs of child abuse.  finmad

Welcome to the wonderful world of bureaucracy. Half(creative license  Tongue) the people in government service are only there for the paycheck and benefits, not to make a difference. And the few who actually care are hamstrung by the incompetence and stupidity of the rest.

Reply #15 - November 13, 2008, 02:57 PM

This would seem to be an open and shut case of incompetence, whether individual or group incomp.
    More generally, the public is in no position to judge performance because we don't get to know how many cases they deal with successfully.

I disagree, if no one is any position to judge, then how in the hell does anything ever get changed?

Reply #16 - November 13, 2008, 02:59 PM

Welcome to the wonderful world of bureaucracy. Half(creative license  Tongue) the people in government service are only there for the paycheck and benefits, not to make a difference. And the few who actually care are hamstrung by the incompetence and stupidity of the rest.

That or they simply ended up there because they couldn't think of anything else to do with their life.

I mean my flippin step mother is applying to be a foster carer for the money only, I am baffled why a woman who was taken to court for child abuse could even be considered. banghead

Reply #17 - November 13, 2008, 03:07 PM

That or they simply ended up there because they couldn't think of anything else to do with their life.

I mean my flippin step mother is applying to be a foster carer for the money only, I am baffled why a woman who was taken to court for child abuse could even be considered. banghead

Political correctness run amok.

In my opinion, anyone who has more than say, trespassing or minor traffic violations on their record, shouldn't even have a chance to be considered for government work. We have more than enough crooks in government without adding more.  wacko

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »