Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Server Finances

(Read 11202 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Server Finances
     OP - November 10, 2008, 12:42 AM

Hello all!

*ducks*

No, this isn't bad news, I promise!

We've (collectively, mind you) been on this current server for nearly a year, now. Its performance and stability seem more than adequate, and there's plenty of headroom to grow.

We've (again, collective) achieved a stable post-II community, with its nucleus made up of RnR, TR, NN, and CoXM- all separate but connected sub-communities.

Due to this stability with both the community and the server, I think it would be prudent to change our payment structure with the host from a monthly rate to an annual rate. We currently pay $255 monthly for the server. Our host has quoted me what breaks down to $180 monthly if we pay annually. This is a savings of $900 annually, which is nothing to sneeze at.

The catches are these:

* Obviously our separate communities would have to agree-- at least on an informal-- to stay loosely connected via the same server for a year at a time. I guess individual communities could go their own way if the spirit moves them, but they'd lose out on the money they put into this server for the rest of that year.

* While the server currently receives a healthy (though not nearly full paid) monthly donation total, it hasn't accrued an extra $2160 lying around to pay for this in an annual sum. Fundraising would be needed for the initial capital.

Advantages are:

* Obviously the server is $900 cheaper annually.

* Any current monthly scheduled or one-time donations would accrue throughout the year and, with luck, pay for all or most of the next annual payment.

What are your thoughts on this?

(cross-posted at RnR and TR)
  • Re: Server Finances
     Reply #1 - November 10, 2008, 12:55 AM

My thoughts are that given the combined membership of the sites in question, the amount of money required per person and given the savings that will accrue if we go to annual payment then we'd be nuts not to. Sounds like a great idea.

From what you're saying at TR the current rate of donations from all sites would fully cover the new arrangement, whereas under the current arrangement there's a 20-25% shortfall in  funds.

I'd say line up a bit of a fundraiser after Christmas/New Year when people are more or less back to normal. Aim to get it all sorted by March 2009 (as a rough timeline).

ETA: Mind you if anyone wants to start chipping in before then there's no harm in that either.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #2 - November 10, 2008, 08:14 AM

Approx how much would we need from each active member?

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #3 - November 10, 2008, 08:21 AM

Not a lot. There are around 500 active members spread across all four sites. Mind you some of those are active on more than one. As an example I post at TalkRational fairly frequently.

Anyway, even if we assume 200 people then as long as everyone will chip in it'd only come to $10 each. That's not bad for twelve months of top rate hosting on a dedicated server. We run on Liquidweb and they're very good.

Reply #4 - November 10, 2008, 02:43 PM

Sounds like a good idea. How do we pay?

Religion is ignorance giftwrapped in lyricism.
     Reply #5 - November 10, 2008, 02:46 PM

Click the cute kitten on the left of the screen under your profile pic, I have used paypal before.

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #6 - November 10, 2008, 04:02 PM

Click the cute kitten on the left of the screen under your profile pic, I have used paypal before.

I can't click on the cute kitten, it disappears to a mountain range.  wacko

Tongue

\\\\\\\"The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong.\\\\\\\"-Carl Jung
     Reply #7 - November 10, 2008, 08:07 PM

We currently pay $255 monthly for the server. Our host has quoted me what breaks down to $180 monthly if we pay annually

Seems like a no-brainer to me and I'm happy to contribute - but as I have an overdraft at the moment (and recently forked out £30 for the domain name) - I will chip in come the new year - when hopefully I'll have some money Smiley
     Reply #8 - November 10, 2008, 09:20 PM

Actually teh kitten links to the Council itself. The NontheistNexus server (which is what we run on) is different. I don't know what server the Council run their home site on. Anyway the point is that if you use the kitten you'd have to include a note letting them know the donation was to cover server costs for the forum, otherwise they wouldn't know.

The other way to do it is to use the link at RnR, or I can set one up here. I'll have a chat to a few people and work something out.

Reply #9 - November 10, 2008, 11:56 PM

Righty-o folks. This is the link to R'n'R's donation page.
    Matt is the systems admin for all four site but is based at R'n'R. Any money that gets dropped into the account in the next month or so will be put towards this annual hosting deal.

When using PayPal you can send a note with your donation to make sure it goes towards our server costs.
    If you need to set up a PayPal account (ie: you don't use credit cards) you can do that on this link.

Just read a post from Matt over at TR and apparently we're over a quarter of the way there already.
    $560 US and climbing. Afro

Reply #10 - November 12, 2008, 05:15 PM

I could donate, but the reason I don't donate is for privacy reasons. I could donate anonymously, if it was possible, I just don't personally want my (real) name and address to be known by anyone on here. Can I ask a question, when I pay via pay pal, does my address show up?  I just have trust issues after the penis issue.
     Reply #11 - November 12, 2008, 05:15 PM

I just have trust issues after the penis issue.

Cheesy

Reply #12 - November 12, 2008, 05:16 PM

?

I chose to get circumcised at 17, don't tell me I never believed.
     Reply #13 - November 12, 2008, 05:17 PM

Also, all COEM donating members, should get some privileges such as uername changes once a year.
     Reply #14 - November 12, 2008, 05:17 PM

?

Trust me its a very long story!
     Reply #15 - November 12, 2008, 05:18 PM

Not really, go on Tut, you should tell him before I do.  Cheesy

Reply #16 - November 12, 2008, 05:32 PM

Trust me its a very long story!

Not according to what I heard  grin12

Life is a sexually transmitted disease which is invariably fatal.
     Reply #17 - November 12, 2008, 05:33 PM

A ha, but it wasn't long though, so not a long story.  Cheesy

Reply #18 - November 12, 2008, 05:52 PM

Don't start this all over! lets just way I've never had women complain!

I know its just the right size.
     Reply #19 - November 12, 2008, 05:55 PM

Well anyway that was like 3 years ago, since then things have changed.
     Reply #20 - November 12, 2008, 05:56 PM

Don't start this all over! lets just way I've never had a woman !

I hope its just the right size.

Fixed. Afro

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #21 - November 12, 2008, 06:00 PM

Anyway the point is that if you use the kitten you'd have to include a note letting them know the donation was to cover server costs for the forum, otherwise they wouldn't know.

Oops - is that possible retrospectively?
     Reply #22 - November 12, 2008, 06:14 PM

Don't start this all over! lets just way I've never had a woman !

I hope its just the right size.

Fixed. Afro

Lol, yes am a virgin... LOL I find this term to be redundent when applied to a male,when there are so many prostitutes out there, and moreover, a guy who drinks would seldom be a virgin, trust me when am in my local sometimes, am having a hard time trying to get these single mothers off me, trust me, you don't know some of the shit some women can do with a bottle of Budweiser when drunk!
     Reply #23 - November 12, 2008, 06:15 PM

thats biologically impossible  Smiley   you are over 21 arent you Tut?

Reply #24 - November 12, 2008, 06:22 PM

thats biologically impossible  Smiley   you are over 21 arent you Tut?

Pulling and tugging every you go for a piss works, can add on about an inch or two. Am actually older, am 25.
     Reply #25 - November 12, 2008, 06:26 PM

Seems unlikely, unless its made of rubber ....   Smiley

Reply #26 - November 12, 2008, 06:28 PM

Seems unlikely, unless its made of rubber ....   Smiley

Cheesy

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I remain.
     Reply #27 - November 13, 2008, 09:40 PM

Ok, we have an update on this.

The Council's treasurer (Zia) dropped in to the staff room and the Council are quite happy to cover all costs for the forum, so if anyone wants to chip in (which would be greatly appreciated) then just use the kitten as normal and the CEMB will strike a deal with Matt to cover our share of the server costs for the next year and pay it in a lump sum.

Reply #28 - November 14, 2008, 09:30 AM

Seems Zia is loaded then.
     Reply #29 - November 14, 2008, 05:22 PM

Not necessarily. I'd say that is poor logic on you part as there are several obvious alternatives.

• 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »