Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Whatabastor - Hello

(Read 9963 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Whatabastor - Hello
     OP - November 10, 2008, 12:33 AM

If I ‘d been asked a year ago about Islam, I would've said that it's a religion that speaks to the mind and fulfills the soul's unquenchable longing to unite with God.

Fast forward to the present day, and I would not know what to say... I would not even know where to start... I guess I fell like… I found out I was adopted.

I've been born and raised in close proximity to the Islamic holy lands, I do not remember the first time I saw the Ka'aba since going there a few times a year was a regular habit for almost all people in the area. I grew up in an Islamic atmosphere that is way different than the salafi puritanical method sweeping the world as the true version Islam today.

I was lucky I guess to have parents who taught me to respect other religions and opinions, and grandparents who even though were illiterate, taught me to respect science and knowledge. We lived in an area where people around us had different cultural backgrounds, almost from all over the world. I loved that place, and I still love it.

In first grade they taught us that god, The God (Allah), is defined as the one who created me and raised me with his blessing, a definition which I had to repeat, but never felt fulfilled or even content with. I realized later on in life, that I am a spiritual person, and will always be looking for spiritual fulfillment, which brought me to be what I have become today.

Hello, my name is what? My name is who? My name… like all of yours cannot be disclosed, but I am an apostate, but I am not actually sure about that.

Online I use the name whatabastor, funny story behind that name which does not mean anything (at least in any language I know)

I've come to this conclusion a few months ago, but only stopped performing the daily rituals of praying and fasting on the last day of Ramadan 08, I guess I wanted to mark the occasion.

It was not easy for me, and it still isn't.

At the moment I look at it as my cultural heritage and I am proud of it. Like I said, it feels like knowing that I was adopted, but my foster parents were good to me.

On the evolutionary scale of humans and religion I think that Islam is/was the most advanced, for its time anyway…

I've been lurking around here for a while, trying to get comfortable... and here I am...

I am a Saudi Arabian, my first language is arabic, and over 30 years old.

I have a blog, in arabic, for those interested... here it is

whatabastor.wordpress.com

Cheers
  • Re: Whatabastor - Hello
     Reply #1 - November 10, 2008, 12:50 AM

Hi. Yes I noticed you checking the place out. Welcome to the forum. When you settle in a bit you might want to go talk to Elle and inform him that not everyone from Saudi Arabia is a sword-swinging maniac. grin12

I get the impression he could do with some reassurance. In your opinion, roughly how many people in KSA actually do follow the hardline Wahabbi version of Islam that we hear so much about? Is it the majority or is it more of a fringe thing backed by officialdom?

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #2 - November 10, 2008, 01:22 AM

Welcome Smiley

I would be interested in reading your blog but I can't understand Arabic very well :(
     Reply #3 - November 10, 2008, 01:41 AM

osmanthus

Well, its hard to get figures on the wahabbi sect  sheikh

You would think its the majority from the media... but then go to any prayer other than friday and you wont find many people in the mosques... thats the real gauge.

heartbomb

Thanks, u can try to translate with google, but it would just make it sound funny... I've tried it. Its just me writing cause I heard it was cathartic to write.
     Reply #4 - November 10, 2008, 02:04 AM

Yes Babel fish and similar programs do tend to make a mess of translations. You can figure out more or less what the original is supposed to mean but even that can be a bit of a struggle at times.

Reply #5 - November 10, 2008, 02:21 AM

Hello, whatabastaror.  Welcome to the forum. Smiley  What's the story behind your username then?

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #6 - November 10, 2008, 02:53 AM

Hello Cheetah,

well since you asked... here it is... the story and all events took place in saudi... it happened to a friend of mine

Once upon a time, a colleague of his asked him and said, "since you know english, and have lived in America, I want to ask you about a song me and the kids in the neighborhood used to listen to"

He said go ahead, and he starts to sing "whatabastor tambasti gairego" he of course laughs and tells him that its not english. He proceeds to tell him "yes it is and its a Michael Jackson song" that they all used to listen to back when they were kids in the 80's, and that the "cool" guy in the neighborhood who had a motorcycle and a cowboy hat and was black non the less,  taught them all to sing it that way... and he told them that this was english and they should not ask and just sing it like it is, and all throughout school and college he wondered what those words really meant, especially when he was learning english.

So after work he takes his friend to his place, and being the MJ fan that he is and has all the albums, starts playing the songs one after the other.

So they play the songs, nope not this, no not that... and then... yes this is it... can you hear that? whatabastor tambasti gairego...

It turns out that "whatabastor tambasti gairego" is actually "Keep on with the force dont stop

Dont stop til you get enough" from the MJ song Don't stop till you get enough.

So even after many years, and that guy knew english well enough to get by in most situations... he still heard it as "whatabastor tambasti gairego"

As funny as this story is, its a reminder, that I remind myself with... that old ideas need to be looked at with fresh minds... and the guy that taught them the song as this is how it is, is a reminder to me of all the people who did not know jack shiznit about something, yet told the people that this is how it is (i.e. religion)

So... that is the story... I hope you enjoyed it.
     Reply #7 - November 10, 2008, 03:14 AM

Welcome to the forum.

On the evolutionary scale of humans and religion I think that Islam is/was the most advanced, for its time anyway…

I reckon it was too (maybe discluding early Christianity). But now? No. We can do without religion whatsoever, as far I'm concerned. Islam was progressive because it was quite pluralistic and open to intellectual progress at that time. For me it's all about the scientific outlook, but some of the essential spirit of Islam is contained in its pluralist/secular implications. It can easily hark back to this.

Just my 2¢, there are a lot of views about that subject.

"...every imperfection in man is a bond with heaven..." - Karl Marx
     Reply #8 - November 10, 2008, 06:02 AM

Why would you conclude that Islam was the most advanced?

Reply #9 - November 10, 2008, 09:06 AM

Welcome to the forum.

I reckon it was too (maybe discluding early Christianity). But now? No. We can do without religion whatsoever, as far I'm concerned. Islam was progressive because it was quite pluralistic and open to intellectual progress at that time. For me it's all about the scientific outlook, but some of the essential spirit of Islam is contained in its pluralist/secular implications. It can easily hark back to this.

On the evolution of Religions:

1. You get a small tribe, very present god, everyone knows everybody.
    2. You get a larger tribe where people might know everyone in their own tribe. Multiple clans.
    3. You get multiple tribes who are co-existing.
    4. You get Federations.
    5. You get an empire.
    6. You get a global village.

Judaism is/was stuck somewhere between 2 and 3. The Roman empire could not tolerate people not fitting in, so Titus wiped out Jerusalem.

Early Christianity, as directed by St.Paul, was a way to take Judaism from being useful to people in #3 to being useful to people in #4. Catholicism took it to #5.

Islam, IMO took a #2 (Hanafi) #3 (Judaism) and a #4 (Early Christianity as followed by Khadija), and mixed them. In a way, islam is an advanced form of hanafidm and also a regressed form of Christianity and I would also argue a more regressed form of Judaism if it was not for the fact that islam was much more efficient at spreading then judaism.

In what way you think islam is the most progressive of its time or now?

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #10 - November 10, 2008, 02:21 PM

So... that is the story... I hope you enjoyed it.

Yes, thank you, and the moral of the story is very true. Afro

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #11 - November 10, 2008, 06:25 PM

Heh, did not notice the start of this thread. Welcome aboard Whatabastor.

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #12 - November 10, 2008, 07:40 PM

Welcome, Whatabastor.  I like your style. You seem to be moving very fast. Do you still believe in a god or is it like chewing gum under your foot at the moment?

Religion is ignorance giftwrapped in lyricism.
     Reply #13 - November 11, 2008, 05:43 AM

Why would you conclude that Islam was the most advanced?

Well, in the relationship of God(s) and Humans, there were always intermediaries... Rabbi's, Church clergy, yet in Islam... there was none, not even symbols... the start and cresent came afterwards

You know when you look at the history of religions and gods, there were always many gods, then fewer, then monotheism and how they started off, and then Islam...

Now they say Deism is the fastest growing religion (percentage wise)

I did not mean technologically of course, just in the relationship between humans and deity
     Reply #14 - November 11, 2008, 05:48 AM

Welcome to the forum.

On the evolution of Religions:

1. You get a small tribe, very present god, everyone knows everybody.
    2. You get a larger tribe where people might know everyone in their own tribe. Multiple clans.
    3. You get multiple tribes who are co-existing.
    4. You get Federations.
    5. You get an empire.
    6. You get a global village.

Judaism is/was stuck somewhere between 2 and 3. The Roman empire could not tolerate people not fitting in, so Titus wiped out Jerusalem.

Early Christianity, as directed by St.Paul, was a way to take Judaism from being useful to people in #3 to being useful to people in #4. Catholicism took it to #5.

Islam, IMO took a #2 (Hanafi) #3 (Judaism) and a #4 (Early Christianity as followed by Khadija), and mixed them. In a way, islam is an advanced form of hanafidm and also a regressed form of Christianity and I would also argue a more regressed form of Judaism if it was not for the fact that islam was much more efficient at spreading then judaism.

In what way you think islam is the most progressive of its time or now?

Baal, you did not keep it simple buddy, I did not mean any of that at all. I just meant the relationship of worshiper and god... not the whole empire building aspect of it, thats always politics and ambitions of people that want to get richer and more powerful...
     Reply #15 - November 11, 2008, 05:53 AM

Welcome, Whatabastor.  I like your style. You seem to be moving very fast. Do you still believe in a god or is it like chewing gum under your foot at the moment?

Thanks sojournerlumus, I do not understand what u mean by moving too fast. At the moment I do not know if I still believe or not, I was always very spiritual... right now it just feels that things are off balance. I kinda lean to the side of yes there is a god, or something like the force in starwars if you will... once I know more, I am sure I will probably write about it...

cheers
     Reply #16 - November 11, 2008, 05:53 AM

Welcome to the forum whatabastor.

I enjoyed reading your intro  Smiley

Life is a sexually transmitted disease which is invariably fatal.
     Reply #17 - November 11, 2008, 08:23 AM

Welcome to the forum whatabastor.

I enjoyed reading your intro  Smiley

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it
     Reply #18 - November 11, 2008, 01:25 PM

Hi whatabastor - and welcome!
     Reply #19 - November 11, 2008, 11:37 PM

Thanks Hassan
     Reply #20 - November 12, 2008, 01:44 AM

Oops...I missed your post.

Hola.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I remain.
     Reply #21 - November 12, 2008, 04:58 AM

Oops...I missed your post.

Hola. (Clicky for piccy!)

Hola amigo, gracias... que pasa?

thats about all the spanish I know.
     Reply #22 - November 12, 2008, 07:46 AM

Belated welcome  dance

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #23 - November 12, 2008, 08:19 AM

bunnyBelatos welcomos pinadas!   bunny

Reply #24 - November 12, 2008, 08:41 AM

Belated welcome  dance

thnkyu
     Reply #25 - November 12, 2008, 08:47 AM

bunnyBelatos welcomos pinadas!   bunny

ok, but I think you have welcomed me before... does this mean I have come back to the begining of the circle?
     Reply #26 - November 12, 2008, 08:50 AM

Well it was just an excuse to use some fancy fonts and bunnies. You can do whatever you like.

Reply #27 - November 12, 2008, 08:56 AM

no problem, but what is that language?

here are more bunnies
     bunny

bunny

bunny

Thanks
     Reply #28 - November 12, 2008, 08:58 AM

It was fake Spanish. Cheesy