Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 06:33 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
May 10, 2024, 12:51 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
May 10, 2024, 09:41 AM

New Britain
May 08, 2024, 07:28 AM

General chat & discussion...
May 08, 2024, 07:16 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
May 07, 2024, 04:01 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 30, 2024, 06:51 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Voting

(Read 8290 times)
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Voting
     Reply #30 - November 09, 2008, 07:41 AM

Well, it tells people a lot about who you are - or so people think. Not everybody wants to give out that much about themselves.

I suppose you're right, especially if the info points in the direction of something unsavoury, if it doesn't there is absolutely no need to keep quiet. My mum used to keep it secret because she would have looked a complete hypocrite or worse, stupid, otherwise. There is never a good reason, unless of course, I am about to be enlightened - and I'm not talking about dodgy countries where you could be in danger for who you voted for.

yeah, right. And innocent people have nothing to hide from the polie, right? Or their neighbours ...  Roll Eyes

I'm talking about voting but if you wanna spread the net, yes we could become suspicious about everyone, which again is one very good reason for folk to be open and transparent. Not all tip toeing around with their secret little votes.

Well, am very glad you don´t have a hand in putting down the law, then. I personally think it´s nobody´s business to decide, WHO gets told about my political or other choices. I CHOSE to tell or not, and I think that´s as it should be.

I'm with Dio on this one. Information is power. You choose who to empower in your favour or against, by giving or withholding information. A classic example of this is what happens at some polling stations in this country.
    It works like this: You enter the polling station, clutching your polling card in your hot , sweaty little hand, thinking you're going to change the world with your miniscule contribution to the candidate you've chosen. You enter the first door to the building. There are two people , looking quasi-official and very respectable, sitting at a table with some pretty impressive and official looking lists. They ask for a look at your voting registration card . Unless you know what's going on, you innocently show them the card and they look through their lists. They find you on a list and cross you off. I mean, it seems to be part of the polling process, doesn't it?
    You go through to the actual room with the sealed boxes where you are presented with the same scenario, but this time you are given an actual polling paper to mark, in secret, and post it into the sealed ballot box.
    Job done and feeling very satisfied you leave, but wondering uneasily perhaps, as you pass the first two people at the door, what the purpose of their lists is.
    Anyone know?

Religion is ignorance giftwrapped in lyricism.
     Reply #31 - November 09, 2008, 07:48 AM

Well, it tells people a lot about who you are - or so people think. Not everybody wants to give out that much about themselves.

I suppose you're right, especially if the info points in the direction of something unsavoury, if it doesn't there is absolutely no need to keep quiet. My mum used to keep it secret because she would have looked a complete hypocrite or worse, stupid, otherwise. There is never a good reason, unless of course, I am about to be enlightened - and I'm not talking about dodgy countries where you could be in danger for who you voted for.

yeah, right. And innocent people have nothing to hide from the polie, right? Or their neighbours ...  Roll Eyes

I'm talking about voting but if you wanna spread the net, yes we could become suspicious about everyone, which again is one very good reason for folk to be open and transparent. Not all tip toeing around with their secret little votes.

Well, am very glad you don´t have a hand in putting down the law, then. I personally think it´s nobody´s business to decide, WHO gets told about my political or other choices. I CHOSE to tell or not, and I think that´s as it should be.

I'm with Dio on this one. Information is power. You choose who to empower in your favour or against, by giving or withholding information. A classic example of this is what happens at some polling stations in this country.
    It works like this: You enter the polling station, clutching your polling card in your hot , sweaty little hand, thinking you're going to change the world with your miniscule contribution to the candidate you've chosen. You enter the first door to the building. There are two people , looking quasi-official and very respectable, sitting at a table with some pretty impressive and official looking lists. They ask for a look at your voting registration card . Unless you know what's going on, you innocently show them the card and they look through their lists. They find you on a list and cross you off. I mean, it seems to be part of the polling process, doesn't it?
    You go through to the actual room with the sealed boxes where you are presented with the same scenario, but this time you are given an actual polling paper to mark, in secret, and post it into the sealed ballot box.
    Job done and feeling very satisfied you leave, but wondering uneasily perhaps, as you pass the first two people at the door, what the purpose of their lists is.
    Anyone know?

To check if you're allowed to vote. Like identity card or summink.
     Reply #32 - November 09, 2008, 07:54 AM

Nope. The polling officer in the next room does that on his/her list. It's really devious. Try again?

Reply #33 - November 09, 2008, 08:46 AM

Well this thread just proved that some people get way too defensive about a simple question. Even getting short tempered about it as if we were in anyway saying it should be forced  Roll Eyes.

If you want to keep it yourself, keep it to yourself, I just wanted to understand why anyone would feel paranoid about sharing that with a friend. 

But apparantly that's a nosy question and should be responded to with a firm "keep you nose out of my effin business".

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #34 - November 09, 2008, 09:27 AM

The only people I would lie to/keep secret my voting are the muslims at the masjid, with them voting is haram. I voted for Obama.

I chose to get circumcised at 17, don't tell me I never believed.
     Reply #35 - November 09, 2008, 10:10 AM

The only people I would lie to/keep secret my voting are the muslims at the masjid, with them voting is haram. I voted for Obama.

So, Jack, Awais has a good reason .
    Incidentally, does anyone apart from MK know the answer to my Q above. It takes a bit of figuring if you haven't come across it before but don't let that stop your visits to the fridge.

Reply #36 - November 09, 2008, 01:01 PM

Well this thread just proved that some people get way too defensive about a simple question. Even getting short tempered about it as if we were in anyway saying it should be forced  Roll Eyes.

If you want to keep it yourself, keep it to yourself, I just wanted to understand why anyone would feel paranoid about sharing that with a friend. 

But apparantly that's a nosy question and should be responded to with a firm "keep you nose out of my effin business".

Right on. I don't understand it at all why it should be a secret. I think we better find something to disagree on quick Berbs Smiley

Ha Ha.
     Reply #37 - November 09, 2008, 01:03 PM

I think we better find something to disagree on quick Berbs Smiley

Cheesy I was thinking the same damn thing.

Reply #38 - November 09, 2008, 01:04 PM

So, Jack, Awais has a good reason .
    Incidentally, does anyone apart from MK know the answer to my Q above. It takes a bit of figuring if you haven't come across it before but don't let that stop your visits to the fridge.

Aiwas.x's reason is sound yeah. Like I said, if it can put you in harms way it makes sense. I'm talking about The Daily Mail readers and the like  who we know will vote Tory, yet they feel they should be quiet about it. As far as information is power goes, I don't see how it applies to voting.

Ha Ha.
     Reply #39 - November 09, 2008, 01:05 PM

I think we better find something to disagree on quick Berbs Smiley

Cheesy I was thinking the same damn thing.

How about 'Babyshambles are shit'?

Ha Ha.
     Reply #40 - November 09, 2008, 01:08 PM

Well personally I would have to agree, I only went babyshambles because it was my treat for my friend  Cheesy

The libertines on the other hand, now they were good.  bunny

Reply #41 - November 09, 2008, 01:10 PM

Well personally I would have to agree, I only went babyshambles because it was my treat for my friend  Cheesy

The libertines on the other hand, now they were good.  bunny

I'm afraid I agree with that too Cry

You know who prefers Babyshambles to the Lib's - there is absolutely no justification for such a thing.

Ha Ha.
     Reply #42 - November 09, 2008, 01:15 PM

I'm afraid I agree with that too Cry

You know who prefers Babyshambles to the Lib's - there is absolutely no justification for such a thing.

Maybe I should do my "I'm so bitter" thing again, this agreeing business is just unatural.  hiding

• Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »