Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Voting

(Read 8144 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Voting
     OP - November 09, 2008, 10:20 AM

Why are people so secretive about whom they vote for in elections etc? It's even encouraged in the set up of voting with the little booths etc. Why aren't people loud and proud regarding whom they give their vote to? I know we're not all like this, but often I find people get very easily cagey. Like even over the Obama thing two people I asked 'well who would you have voted for if you were American' - ignored, why? Dio? Baal? Anyone - why should it be a secret where your politics lie? Do you clam up when asked 'so who did you vote for?'

And before anyone asks - I always give my vote to the local loony party. Afro

Re: US elections, no choice - Obama.

Ha Ha.
  • Re: Voting
     Reply #1 - November 09, 2008, 10:24 AM

I have wondered this myself too.  I would always answer honestly about who I would vote for but I actually know people who say it's private.  wacko

It's the same with wages, some people get all uppity when you ask them what they are earning.  Huh?

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #2 - November 09, 2008, 10:26 AM

Well, it tells people a lot about who you are - or so people think. Not everybody wants to give out that much about themselves.
     Reply #3 - November 09, 2008, 10:27 AM

I have wondered this myself too.  I would always answer honestly about who I would vote for but I actually know people who say it's private.  wacko

It's the same with wages, some people get all uppity when you ask them what they are earning.  Huh?

Can kind of understand when it comes to money, but the other baffkles me. As soon as people do clam up, I always assume they are right wing Smiley  

Ha Ha.
     Reply #4 - November 09, 2008, 10:28 AM

Well, it tells people a lot about who you are - or so people think. Not everybody wants to give out that much about themselves.

Whats wrong with wanting people to know what you're about? So who would you have voted for, McCain or Obama?

Ha Ha.
     Reply #5 - November 09, 2008, 10:29 AM

Can kind of understand when it comes to money, but the other baffkles me. As soon as people do clam up, I always assume they are right wing Smiley

And that´s just the short-cut jumping to conclusions people might want to avoid by keeping things private.  Roll Eyes
     Reply #6 - November 09, 2008, 10:30 AM

And that´s just the short-cut jumping to conclusions people might want to avoid by keeping things private.  Roll Eyes

But but but he would only jump to a conclusion if a conclusion wasn't given.  wacko

Reply #7 - November 09, 2008, 10:30 AM

Whats wrong with wanting people to know what you're about? So who would you have voted for, McCain or Obama?

Nothing wrong with wanting to know - nothing wrong with not WANTING everybody to know, either... up to the person involved to make up their mind, who they want to let into their private being and how far, no?
    I wouldn´t have voted for either, since none of them appeals to me.
     Reply #8 - November 09, 2008, 10:31 AM

But but but he would only jump to a conclusion if a conclusion wasn't given.  wacko

Abso-fukken-lootly!

Ha Ha.
     Reply #9 - November 09, 2008, 10:32 AM

Nothing wrong with wanting to know - nothing wrong with not WANTING everybody to know, either... up to the person involved to make up their mind, who they want to let into their private being and how far, no?

Why don't I believe you? Smiley

Ha Ha.
     Reply #10 - November 09, 2008, 10:32 AM

Well, I think for Jack even voting Tory is "being right-wing".  Roll Eyes
    Anyway - that´s just the closed-minded thinking I hate so much about the oh-so-open-minded "leftists". Blurgh. Just as blurgh as their mirror images from the other camp. lipsrsealed
     Reply #11 - November 09, 2008, 10:33 AM

Oh, I know why - but won´t say it, to not cause another useless row.  Roll Eyes
     Reply #12 - November 09, 2008, 10:34 AM

Anyway - that´s just the closed-minded thinking I hate so much about the oh-so-open-minded "leftists". Blurgh. Just as blurgh as their mirror images from the other camp. lipsrsealed

You like it all secret and covered up, huh. You don't think perhaps if people were a bit more open the world might be a better place? I am not a 'lefty' thankyou.

Ha Ha.
     Reply #13 - November 09, 2008, 10:36 AM

You like it all secret and covered up, huh. You don't think perhaps if people were a bit more open the world might be a better place? I am not a 'lefty' thankyou.

Oh, I am open personally about who I voted for (SPD and Green, always... to my shame, but I can´t stand stupid Angela and won´t EVER vote Green again) - I was just trying to explain, why not everybody wanted to do that.

To avoid being role-cast by "non-leftys" like you. Roll Eyes
     Reply #14 - November 09, 2008, 10:37 AM

Rubbish, you have a picture of the Alzheimers riddled, liver spotted old fool on your wall, ah, sorry, that's the pope.

I have to say, I love McCains frozen oven chips - see, there's always something to be grateful for Wink

Ha Ha.
     Reply #15 - November 09, 2008, 10:38 AM

Rubbish, you have a picture of the Alzheimers riddled, liver spotted old fool on your wall, ah, sorry, that's the pope.

I have to say, I love McCains frozen oven chips - see, there's always something to be grateful for Wink

See? I don´t have to prove anything I say about you - you do that for me, whenever you open your pc!  Wink
     Reply #16 - November 09, 2008, 10:41 AM

See? I don´t have to prove anything I say about you - you do that for me, whenever you open your pc!  Wink

Yes, of course Dio.

Ha Ha.
     Reply #17 - November 09, 2008, 10:49 AM

I suppose you're right, especially if the info points in the direction of something unsavoury, if it doesn't there is absolutely no need to keep quiet. My mum used to keep it secret because she would have looked a complete hypocrite or worse, stupid, otherwise. There is never a good reason, unless of course, I am about to be enlightened - and I'm not talking about dodgy countries where you could be in danger for who you voted for.

Ha Ha.
     Reply #18 - November 09, 2008, 10:50 AM

I suppose you're right, especially if the info points in the direction of something unsavoury, if it doesn't there is absolutely no need to keep quiet. My mum used to keep it secret because she would have looked a complete hypocrite or worse, stupid, otherwise. There is never a good reason, unless of course, I am about to be enlightened - and I'm not talking about dodgy countries where you could be in danger for who you voted for.

yeah, right. And innocent people have nothing to hide from the police, right? Or their neighbours ... so what do we need privacy rights, habeas corpus, fruit of the poisoned tree etc for? All only helps the criminals, ey?   Roll Eyes
     Reply #19 - November 09, 2008, 10:53 AM

yeah, right. And innocent people have nothing to hide from the polie, right? Or their neighbours ...  Roll Eyes

I'm talking about voting but if you wanna spread the net, yes we could become suspicious about everyone, which again is one very good reason for folk to be open and transparent. Not all tip toeing around with their secret little votes.

Ha Ha.
     Reply #20 - November 09, 2008, 10:55 AM

yeah, right. And innocent people have nothing to hide from the polie, right? Or their neighbours ...  Roll Eyes

I'm talking about voting but if you wanna spread the net, yes we could become suspicious about everyone, which again is one very good reason for folk to be open and transparent. Not all tip toeing around with their secret little votes.

Well, am very glad you don´t have a hand in putting down the law, then. I personally think it´s nobody´s business to decide, WHO gets told about my political or other choices. I CHOSE to tell or not, and I think that´s as it should be.
     Reply #21 - November 09, 2008, 10:55 AM

yeah, right. And innocent people have nothing to hide from the police, right?

Yes, they have nothing to hide.  When you feel you need to hide something then it usually is something that you are ashamed of or could be seen as bad/criminal.

Just because a few innocents get shafted here and there doesn't change the fact that most innocent people are not persecuted for stuff they haven't done, by neighbours or police.

Reply #22 - November 09, 2008, 10:58 AM

yeah, right. And innocent people have nothing to hide from the police, right?

Yes, they have nothing to hide.  When you feel you need to hide something then it usually is something that you are ashamed of or could be seen as bad/criminal.

Just because a few innocents get shafted here and there doesn't change the fact that most innocent people are not persecuted for stuff they haven't done, by neighbours or police.

But that´s not the POINT, Berbs. The point is, being the one in charge of your information, who you tell what and when and how! Whatever happened to the good old English principle of "None of your bloody business"? I flat out REFUSE to cooperate with ANYONE who asks nosy questions of me, out of principle. I don´t even have those wonderful reduction cards, that let shops and brands check out your buying habits. NOT because I buy dangerous/embarassing stuff - just because it´s NONE OF THEIR BLOODY BUSINESS.
     Reply #23 - November 09, 2008, 11:03 AM

Well, am very glad you don´t have a hand in putting down the law, then. I personally think it´s nobody´s business to decide, WHO gets told about my political or other choices. I CHOSE to tell or not, and I think that´s as it should be.

Yes, I can see that very clearly, my question is - why? Why do you feel the need to hide this? What do you think will happen that would be so awful? Don't you like to stand up and be counted for something so important as who leads your country? Especially in the wake of you know who - ah, does it all come from the second world war this secrecy thing?

It's be hilarious if football fans were the same, dressing up disguised to go and see their team play, never sitting in the same place more than once to make sure no one knows!!! Smiley

Ha Ha.
     Reply #24 - November 09, 2008, 11:03 AM

But that´s not the POINT, Berbs. The point is, being the one in charge of your information, who you tell what and when and how! Whatever happened to the good old English principle of "None of your bloody business"? I flat out REFUSE to cooperate with ANYONE who asks nosy questions of me, out of principle

No one is saying you have to do anything of the sort  wacko

It was a simple question of why don't people feel comfortable telling other people about who they are voting for.  What is nosy about asking "who you voting for this term"?  it's not like it's some deep dark secret that needs to be hidden. 

. I don´t even have those wonderful reduction cards, that let shops and brands check out your buying habits. NOT because I buy dangerous/embarassing stuff - just because it´s NONE OF THEIR BLOODY BUSINESS.

I have them, I love it because I get vouchers off the things I like, and they don't waste time sending me vouchers I'm never going to use.

It is their business Dio, as in their business relies on knowing how best to bring in the customer.

Reply #25 - November 09, 2008, 11:05 AM

What is nosy about asking "who you voting for this term"?  it's not like it's some deep dark secret that needs to be hidden. 

Afro

Ha Ha.
     Reply #26 - November 09, 2008, 11:09 AM

Yes, I can see that very clearly, my question is - why? Why do you feel the need to hide this? What do you think will happen that would be so awful? Don't you like to stand up and be counted for something so important as who leads your country? Especially in the wake of you know who - ah, does it all come from the second world war this secrecy thing?

It's be hilarious if football fans were the same, dressing up disguised to go and see their team play, never sitting in the same place more than once to make sure no one knows!!! Smiley

I already TOLD you, who I voted for - duh! I make no secret of it.
    But a) I want the RIGHT to keep it secret (as indeed Art. 38 of our Grundgesetz gives me) and b) the right to keep it secret is an important safeguard for free elections. Social pressures might make you wary of voting for someone you know your boss/ clients/ neighbours/significant other don´t like, even in a country where no political or legal repercussions are to be feared, innit?
    There ARE people who "won´t deal" with someone who votes for the "wrong" party. Which is why, for example, I wouldn´t advertise my political leanings to a client, easily. None of his business, just like I don´t even want to know about his. Why do we all have to run around and shout "Vote..."? Do I have to wear a yellow marker, next, so everybody knows my sexual, religious, gastronomical or other leanings? So that people can THINK they know me at a first glance?  Not bloody likely!
    Such one-dimensional thinking may appeal to you, Jack - not to me.
     Reply #27 - November 09, 2008, 11:10 AM

What is nosy about asking "who you voting for this term"?  it's not like it's some deep dark secret that needs to be hidden. 

Afro

Neither is it any deep dark personal failing to reply with a "What business is that of yours? Keep your nose to your own arse" if you don´t feel like answering.  Afro
     Reply #28 - November 09, 2008, 12:01 PM

Such one-dimensional thinking may appeal to you, Jack - not to me.

Honesty and openess is one dimensional? I think it's a historical thing with you Germans, hush hush. Obviously this is a touchy subject for some.

Ha Ha.
     Reply #29 - November 09, 2008, 12:16 PM

Why is everyone so tense here as well? This is the lounge.
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »