Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

New Britain
Today at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: A New member named elle

(Read 46034 times)
  • 12 3 ... 9 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • A New member named elle
     OP - November 06, 2008, 03:44 PM

My screen name is elle. I have just joined your group to share ideas and views. I hope I can contribute to your movement. I have studied Islam for some years now and I like to discuss facts and to uncover myths. Hope you will like my articles and views about Islam.
  • Re: A New member named elle
     Reply #1 - November 06, 2008, 03:45 PM

Hello Elle, welcome. Smiley  What country are you from, if you don't mind me asking?

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #2 - November 06, 2008, 04:07 PM

Cheetah, I live in Great Britain. I am British. But I have lived in Britain, America, South East Asia, Asia-Far East, and Asia-Sub continent. I have travelled all over the world, including Africa, Australia, Russia, Canada, Europe, except for South America and the Arctic and Antarctica. I believe that I am educated and have had worldly experiences.  I am a retired Professional Engineer and have worked in the engineering world, the educational world and the commercial world. My main interest at the moment is with Cultures and Philosophies and writing about it. I am very interested in Islam and Buddhism and Christianity and Hinduism and Taoism. I will post links to some of my articles when I know where to post it. I promise you, I will not be a bore.
     Reply #3 - November 06, 2008, 04:14 PM

Welcome elle, looking forward to reading some of the articles you plan on posting.  Smiley

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #4 - November 06, 2008, 04:15 PM

Hi and welcomage.

I like Engineers, very nice community.

You done lotsa travellin too, wish I did some travellin
     Reply #5 - November 06, 2008, 04:23 PM

Welcome, I look forward to learning with you.

I chose to get circumcised at 17, don't tell me I never believed.
     Reply #6 - November 06, 2008, 04:24 PM

Howdy. Smiley

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I remain.
     Reply #7 - November 06, 2008, 04:29 PM

Ella and Awais, where do I introduce my articles, in Lounge? My articles are long, unfortunately, but informative, so you have been warned.
     Reply #8 - November 06, 2008, 04:35 PM

Depends what the topic is. Just put them where you think they fit. If they don't they will be moved to where they belong. You wrote them yourself?

Reply #9 - November 06, 2008, 04:44 PM

Cheetah, I live in Great Britain. I am British. But I have lived in Britain, America, South East Asia, Asia-Far East, and Asia-Sub continent. I have travelled all over the world, including Africa, Australia, Russia, Canada, Europe, except for South America and the Arctic and Antarctica.

That's an impressive list of places you've visited --but why miss Antarctica? Who wouldn't love oceans of ice and mountains of frost? You know you want to.

Welcome aboard.  Afro

Islam: where idiots meet terrorists.
     Reply #10 - November 06, 2008, 04:51 PM

Zaephon, I ran out of time or money, or steam, I guess.
     Reply #11 - November 06, 2008, 04:53 PM

Awais, got to prepare our dinner, I'll be back in a bit and will begin my posts in earnest.
     Reply #12 - November 06, 2008, 04:53 PM

What's for dinner?

Reply #13 - November 06, 2008, 05:45 PM

Very simple English dinner tonight. Bacon, Mushrooms, Baked beans with toast. Followed with as fresh pineapple desert. Preared in 10 minutes.

Reply #14 - November 06, 2008, 05:51 PM

Is Pineapple Haram?

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #15 - November 06, 2008, 05:52 PM

No.

Reply #16 - November 06, 2008, 06:01 PM

For information, my first post on The Lounge. Hope you like it!

Reply #17 - November 06, 2008, 07:13 PM

Hi Elle, I look forward to learning more about Islam with you. I notice you're interested in religion in general. Belief as a phenomenon interests me.

Religion is ignorance giftwrapped in lyricism.
     Reply #18 - November 06, 2008, 07:21 PM

sojournerlumus, my first post was moved to "Religion & God" section of this site. There is so much to discuss in religion, even confining it to Islam. It is amazing how little people really understand elementary issues in Islam.
     Reply #19 - November 06, 2008, 07:29 PM

It is amazing how little people really understand elementary issues in Islam.

Yes, but you won't find that here (hopefully). You could say we know our way 'in and out' of Islam. Wink

Reply #20 - November 06, 2008, 07:42 PM

It is amazing how little people really understand elementary issues in Islam.

Yes, but you won't find that here (hopefully). You could say we know our way 'in and out' of Islam. Wink

Some of us don't Awais. What interests me is the actual need, the mechanics of Belief itself. Why do some need it. Why do some people not need it. How can some folk hop on and off different religions like number 6 busses.

Religion is ignorance giftwrapped in lyricism.
     Reply #21 - November 06, 2008, 07:47 PM

lumus, I believe that that is exactly what you cannot do in Islam. Either you accept the 6 pillars of Islam or you are not a Muslim? Yes or No?
     Reply #22 - November 06, 2008, 07:48 PM

5 pillars, unless you're counting Jihad, which is disputed and not really accepted.

Reply #23 - November 06, 2008, 07:53 PM

Well, whether the 6th Pillar of Islam is formally recognized or not it is an inalienable part of Islam and clearly spelt out in the Qur'an.

Qur'an:2:216   "Jihad (holy fighting in Allah's Cause) is ordained for you (Muslims), though you dislike it. But it is possible that you dislike a thing which is good for you, and like a thing which is bad for you. But Allah knows, and you know not." [Another translation reads:] "Warfare is ordained for you."

Qur'an:4:95   "Not equal are those believers who sit at home and receive no injurious hurt, and those who strive hard, fighting Jihad in Allah's Cause with their wealth and lives. Allah has granted a rank higher to those who strive hard, fighting Jihad with their wealth and bodies to those who sit (at home). Unto each has Allah promised good, but He prefers Jihadists who strive hard and fight above those who sit home. He has distinguished his fighters with a huge reward."
     Reply #24 - November 06, 2008, 07:55 PM

*groan*

Are you aware that most muslims interpret this jihad with conditions that cannot be fulfilled at this time? That the muslim leader (khalifa/caliph) must be the one to declare this jihad, that it is not the work of vigilantes. And even then, will this 'khalifa' be accepted as such?

Reply #25 - November 06, 2008, 07:57 PM

Well, whether the 6th Pillar of Islam is formally recognized or not it is an inalienable part of Islam and clearly spelt out in the Qur'an.

Qur'an:2:216   "Jihad (holy fighting in Allah's Cause) is ordained for you (Muslims), though you dislike it. But it is possible that you dislike a thing which is good for you, and like a thing which is bad for you. But Allah knows, and you know not." [Another translation reads:] "Warfare is ordained for you."

Qur'an:4:95   "Not equal are those believers who sit at home and receive no injurious hurt, and those who strive hard, fighting Jihad in Allah's Cause with their wealth and lives. Allah has granted a rank higher to those who strive hard, fighting Jihad with their wealth and bodies to those who sit (at home). Unto each has Allah promised good, but He prefers Jihadists who strive hard and fight above those who sit home. He has distinguished his fighters with a huge reward."

The parts I've highlighted would indicate that those who follow the path of Jihad will receive a greater reward from Allah, but it doesn't say that Jihad is compulsory for Muslims, like the rest of the pillars - merely preferred.

Regards,
    Gonzo

"The spread of evil is the symptom of a vacuum. Whenever evil wins, it is only by default: by the moral failure of those who evade the fact that there can be no compromise on basic principles" - Ayn Rand
     Reply #26 - November 06, 2008, 08:03 PM

And also on it being 'ordained'. There is a thing called 'fard kifaayah' and 'fard ayn', things which are obligatory on the community, which if only one or a few members of the community carry it out, it is considered as if the whole community has done it; and that which is obligatory on every individual.

Reply #27 - November 06, 2008, 08:12 PM

Gonzo, why did you choose not to highlight,
    "Qur'an:2:216   "Jihad (holy fighting in Allah's Cause) is ordained for you (Muslims), though you dislike it/u][/b]
    Surely if ALLAH has ordained it for all Muslims, then that is what he means, JIHAD. Any other interpretation is Taqiyya to confuse the Kufir?

Reply #28 - November 06, 2008, 08:15 PM

Gonzo, why did you choose not to highlight,
    "Qur'an:2:216   "Jihad (holy fighting in Allah's Cause) is ordained for you (Muslims), though you dislike it/u][/b]
    Surely if ALLAH has ordained it for all Muslims, then that is what he means, JIHAD. Any other interpretation is Taqiyya to confuse the Kufir?

Rubbish.  There are many schools of thought within Islam, and people interpret different verses in different ways.  Just because someone's interpretation is non-violent, it doesn't mean they are lying.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #29 - November 06, 2008, 08:17 PM

*groan*

Mainly Shiites use 'taqiyyah', and that's just so they're not persecuted or killed by the Sunni majority.

Most muslims just don't give a shit about jihad, or that you're a kaafir, as much as jews care about you being a gentile, or christians..... bla bla bla.

• 12 3 ... 9 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »