Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
May 11, 2024, 06:33 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
May 10, 2024, 12:51 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
May 10, 2024, 09:41 AM

New Britain
May 08, 2024, 07:28 AM

General chat & discussion...
May 08, 2024, 07:16 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
May 07, 2024, 04:01 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 30, 2024, 06:51 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Poll finds 23% of Texans think Obama is Muslim

(Read 14895 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Poll finds 23% of Texans think Obama is Muslim
     OP - October 31, 2008, 04:20 AM

The muslim or arab smear has actually been a very effective strategy

Poll finds 23% of Texans think Obama is Muslim

Houston Chronicle

Oct. 29, 2008, 11:27PM

WASHINGTON — A University of Texas poll to be released today shows Republican presidential candidate John McCain and GOP Sen. John Cornyn leading by comfortable margins in Texas, as expected. But the statewide survey of 550 registered voters has one very surprising finding: 23 percent of Texans are convinced that Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama is a Muslim.

Obama is a Christian who was embroiled in a controversy earlier this year about his two-decade membership in Chicago's Trinity United Church of Christ. Yet just 45 percent of those polled identified the Illinois senator as a Protestant.

The Obama-is-a-Muslim confusion is caused by fallacious Internet rumors and radio talk-show gossip. McCain went so far at one of his town hall meetings to grab a microphone from a woman who claimed that Obama was an Arab.

The Texas numbers are unusual because most national polls show that just 5 to 10 percent of Americans still believe Obama is a Muslim — less than half the number of Texans who buy into the debunked theories.

The UT poll shows McCain running ahead of Obama statewide, with a 51 percent to 40 percent margin. Cornyn, a first-term Republican from San Antonio, leads Rick Noriega, a state representative from Houston, 45 percent to 36 percent. Another 14 percent of voters remain undecided in the contest.

The poll found that 89 percent of Lone Star State voters say the country's economic situation is worse than a year ago. And President Bush and Congress both get record low marks.

Just 34 percent of Texans approve of Bush's job performance — a big change for a former governor who won re-election 10 years ago with 70 percent of the vote. And Congress is even more unpopular: Just 8 percent of Texas voters approve of the work being done on Capitol Hill.

The telephone poll was conducted by the Texas Politics Project and Department of Government at The University of Texas at Austin. The poll was conducted from Oct. 15 to 22, and had a margin of error of 4.2 percentage points.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6084678.html

"By the One in Whose Hand my soul is, were you not to commit sins, Allah would replace you with a people who would commit sins and then seek forgiveness from Allah; and Allah would forgive them." [Saheeh Muslim]

"Wherever you are, death will find you, Even in the looming tower."
    - Quran 4:78
  • Re: Poll finds 23% of Texans think Obama is Muslim
     Reply #1 - October 31, 2008, 04:25 AM

23% of Texans think the world is 6,000 years old. Go figure.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #2 - October 31, 2008, 04:45 AM

It took me a minute to find this quote:

"Whenever the people are well-informed, they can be trusted with their own government." -Thomas Jefferson

I chose to get circumcised at 17, don't tell me I never believed.
     Reply #3 - October 31, 2008, 04:52 AM

Hmmm, yes it does seem a bit like that. Mind you since all Texans are staunch advocates of freedom and democracy and will murder anyone who doesn't vote Republican it's probably not a good idea to try and take their illusions away from them.

Reply #4 - October 31, 2008, 07:01 AM

Hmm. I dunno so much.  Texas was never in a million years going to vote for Obama anyway, I doubt his people have wasted too much time counterracting propaganda aimed at the people of Texas.  Plus, about 50% of Texas believes in creationism, so there you go.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #5 - October 31, 2008, 07:13 AM

Poll finds 23% of Texans think Obama is Muslim

Houston Chronicle

Oct. 29, 2008, 11:27PM

WASHINGTON — A University of Texas poll to be released today shows Republican presidential candidate John McCain and GOP Sen. John Cornyn leading by comfortable margins in Texas, as expected. But the statewide survey of 550 registered voters has one very surprising finding: 23 percent of Texans are convinced that Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama is a Muslim.

Obama is a Christian who was embroiled in a controversy earlier this year about his two-decade membership in Chicago's Trinity United Church of Christ. Yet just 45 percent of those polled identified the Illinois senator as a Protestant.

The Obama-is-a-Muslim confusion is caused by fallacious Internet rumors and radio talk-show gossip. McCain went so far at one of his town hall meetings to grab a microphone from a woman who claimed that Obama was an Arab.

The Texas numbers are unusual because most national polls show that just 5 to 10 percent of Americans still believe Obama is a Muslim — less than half the number of Texans who buy into the debunked theories.

The UT poll shows McCain running ahead of Obama statewide, with a 51 percent to 40 percent margin. Cornyn, a first-term Republican from San Antonio, leads Rick Noriega, a state representative from Houston, 45 percent to 36 percent. Another 14 percent of voters remain undecided in the contest.

The poll found that 89 percent of Lone Star State voters say the country's economic situation is worse than a year ago. And President Bush and Congress both get record low marks.

Just 34 percent of Texans approve of Bush's job performance — a big change for a former governor who won re-election 10 years ago with 70 percent of the vote. And Congress is even more unpopular: Just 8 percent of Texas voters approve of the work being done on Capitol Hill.

The telephone poll was conducted by the Texas Politics Project and Department of Government at The University of Texas at Austin. The poll was conducted from Oct. 15 to 22, and had a margin of error of 4.2 percentage points.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6084678.html

Being moslem, bad as it would be, would be less disgusting than being a member of the racist "church" he actually did frequent, by all I heard about it.

I mean, yeah - by all means, Americans - chose a president, who rejects the race of his own mother and the vast majority of Americans. Am not pro-McCain... but if McCain went to a similar "white" "church", he´d be dead, politically speaking.

None of the candidates is anything but depressing. Is there a planet I can emigrate to?  Huh?
     Reply #6 - October 31, 2008, 07:21 AM

Is there a planet I can emigrate to?  Huh?

Venus? Tech-Savvy OZ might not refuse to design a space-ship for you.
     Reply #7 - October 31, 2008, 07:22 AM

Is there a planet I can emigrate to?  Huh?

Venus? Tech-Savvy OZ might not refuse to design a space-ship for you.

Venus does not have a viable atmosphere... I was thinking of something along the lines of the Mediterranean, or Aus...??  thnkyu
     Reply #8 - October 31, 2008, 07:25 AM

I don't think the Mediterranean is a planet.  Anyway, you've just had a holiday, back to work with you. Tongue

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #9 - October 31, 2008, 08:01 AM

I don't think the Mediterranean is a planet.  Anyway, you've just had a holiday, back to work with you. Tongue

Well - I meant a Mediterranean kind of planet... sigh.
    And my bloody holiday was waaay too short (a measly 8 days!!) and too nerve-racking... I need another one!
    Anyway - was talking about emigration, not holiday... waiting for that spaceship to beam me up!  cool2
     Reply #10 - October 31, 2008, 08:20 AM

it would be, would be less disgusting than being a member of the racist "church" he actually did frequent, by all I heard about it.

Thank god he's not a digusting catholic, because thats the most disgusting of all.

"By the One in Whose Hand my soul is, were you not to commit sins, Allah would replace you with a people who would commit sins and then seek forgiveness from Allah; and Allah would forgive them." [Saheeh Muslim]

Reply #11 - October 31, 2008, 08:22 AM

Fixed your quote tags Mr wannabe.  Wink

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #12 - October 31, 2008, 08:58 AM

I'll give him the "anti Islam brainwash and rinse".....should clear him right up.  Cheesy

Apparently, someone saying that being Muslim is disgusting (just not as disgusting as being a member of a racist church) does not seem to bother you in the least.

Reply #13 - October 31, 2008, 09:01 AM

If you could now go on to fixing his brain, it would be much appreciated. thnkyu

Still angry that ass whoppin' I gave you eh?

Its OK, at least you're not a disgusting muslim

Reply #14 - October 31, 2008, 09:01 AM

I'll give him the "anti Islam brainwash and rinse".....should clear him right up.  Cheesy

Apparently, someone saying that being Muslim is disgusting (just not as disgusting as being a member of a racist church) does not seem to bother you in the least.

Well it would have but you responded in kind, case closed, you both got it off your chest.  Afro

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #15 - October 31, 2008, 09:07 AM

If you could now go on to fixing his brain, it would be much appreciated. thnkyu

Cheesy - well, just one more delusion you´re living in. You´re used to it, aren´t ya, wannabe?  Afro
     Reply #16 - October 31, 2008, 09:13 AM

Cheesy - well, just one more delusion you´re living in. You´re used to it, aren´t ya, wannabe?  Afro

LOL, one believer telling another he's delusional: "my god is real while yours is fake"

btw Have you started reading books and going to the library like I advised last time? I know it can be scary but give it the old college try, you might learn something.

Reply #17 - October 31, 2008, 10:40 AM

I mean, yeah - by all means, Americans - chose a president, who rejects the race of his own mother and the vast majority of Americans.

How does he reject the race of his mother? He cannot exactly claim to be white, because look at him.

I chose to get circumcised at 17, don't tell me I never believed.
     Reply #18 - October 31, 2008, 03:13 PM

23% of Texans think the world is 6,000 years old. Go figure.

Really! Only 23%?

Religion is ignorance giftwrapped in lyricism.
     Reply #19 - October 31, 2008, 05:55 PM

Well it was just an off the cuff riposte. I haven't analysed the relevant stats and the figure is probably much higher than that. My point was simply that a lot of Texans are either ignorant or stupid.

Reply #20 - November 01, 2008, 02:58 AM

There are some brilliant folks around who openly admit that they suspend reason when it comes to their deeply held faith (I've, for instance, read of a well-known evolutionary biologist who is a Creationist on Sundays). I find this tough to accept, but that's maybe my failing.

My point is that whether a politician is Muslim, Christian, Jewish, Mormon or a worshipper of fairies at the bottom of his garden, how could he be trusted if he (as Bush often has) he openly admits that he is 'guided by faith' in his mighty decisions? In other words that his decisions are reached through suspension of the faculties of reason and rationality.

As far as I know, Obama - whatever religion he might lean toward (and who cares?) -- has never suggested that it would influence his decisions.

Wouldn't it be great if -- as a bg step toward their ultimate demise -- all religions were demoted to the level of 'hobbies' (like re-enacting the Battle of Culloden or dressing up as Napoleon) and practiced quietly in a garage somewhere, out of working hours and when there was nothing good on the telly?

Cheers. Neil

We are not here to fight religion. We are here to make religion irrelevant. NM
     Reply #21 - November 01, 2008, 03:35 AM

Wouldn't it be great if -- as a bg step toward their ultimate demise -- all religions were demoted to the level of 'hobbies' (like re-enacting the Battle of Culloden or dressing up as Napoleon) and practiced quietly in a garage somewhere, out of working hours and when there was nothing good on the telly?

Great idea Afro   Not joking either, really is!

Ha Ha.
     Reply #22 - November 01, 2008, 04:04 AM

Don't be silly. You can't re-enact the Battle of Culloden in a garage. There simply isn't enough space. Tongue

Reply #23 - November 01, 2008, 06:42 AM

Don't be silly. You can't re-enact the Battle of Culloden in a garage. There simply isn't enough space. Tongue

Maybe a multi-storey car park?

Reply #24 - November 01, 2008, 11:05 AM

I'm thinking along the lines of Subbuteo wars. That would do wouldn't it?

Ha Ha.
     Reply #25 - November 01, 2008, 01:46 PM

OK chaps. I know when I'm beat. No need to tear me to pieces ...

But I did mean a very, very, very big garage.

Neil

We are not here to fight religion. We are here to make religion irrelevant. NM
     Reply #26 - November 01, 2008, 02:17 PM

Sounds like a goer. Do you think we could market it Jack?

Reply #27 - November 01, 2008, 04:56 PM

Good idea. I'm in. If we can confine religiously-inspired (if inspired is the appropriate word, which I very much doubt somehow) violence to garages the world will be a much better place, except perhaps for those unfortunate enough to enter garages unawares.

Reply #28 - November 01, 2008, 05:26 PM

Sounds like a goer. Do you think we could market it Jack?

Yeah, I think Neil may have inadvertently hit on something. I knocked up a prototype and managed to Islamise the world inbetween dinner and watching a dvd. Symbolically, I think it would appeal to the religionists and maybe it would also satisfy their urges to blow us up and cut off out heads, but in in a metaphorical way, like they keep going on about in their damn books. Smiley

Ha Ha.
     Reply #29 - November 01, 2008, 06:37 PM

Good idea. I'm in. If we can confine religiously-inspired (if inspired is the appropriate word, which I very much doubt somehow) violence to garages the world will be a much better place, except perhaps for those unfortunate enough to enter garages unawares.

Bugger! I knew there'd be a catch. It would knacker up parking across the globe. Just how did Sean Connery and Christopher Lambert find all those empty multi-storey jobs?

• 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »