Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Personality traits of converts

(Read 23375 times)
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Personality traits of converts
     OP - October 29, 2008, 06:35 PM

I'm interested in knowing people's experiences with converts.

I get the impression that some converts who perhaps have stopped believing in Islam seem to need to experience Islam to death in the same way some people need to talk a subject to death before they finally decide to leave.

I say this because right now there is a great testimony on the dreaded FFI by a Belgian convert call Jan Janssen who he himself claims was obsessed with Islam before finally deciding it was time to throw in the towel and leave Islam.

I'm beginning to wonder if these converts have an addictive personality in common.

I'm also wondering when it is time to finally leave are men more stubborn about it than women?
  • Re: Personality traits of converts
     Reply #1 - October 29, 2008, 09:15 PM

I can't tell you what the personality traits of a convert are, but they definately seem to go nuts into the religion when they do convert.  Converts are seen as more Islamic than muslims born and raised into it.

I do believe that men are more stubborn about leaving islam, but then they have a much easier ride than women so it stands to reason that they would.

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #2 - October 29, 2008, 09:26 PM

Maybe Arab Wannabe, our very own white convert boy can share his story.

Don't mean to get this thread locked  Cheesy, but sincerely would like to know his story.

I was not blessed with the ability to have blind faith. I cant beleive something just because someone says its true.
     Reply #3 - October 29, 2008, 11:21 PM

That would be an interesting story to read. I wonder if he's game to post it.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #4 - October 30, 2008, 01:08 AM

I can't tell you what the personality traits of a convert are, but they definately seem to go nuts into the religion when they do convert.  Converts are seen as more Islamic than muslims born and raised into it.

I do believe that men are more stubborn about leaving islam, but then they have a much easier ride than women so it stands to reason that they would.

I think both statements apply to converts to other religions as well.  My experience is with people converting to some form of christianity, usually a very strict one, and as far as I'm concerned, they have simply gone insane.  Their incessant babbling about their new found faith drives others insane as well.  We're talking "chuck your brain in the bin" time.  The scariest part is that a few of these people are VERY SMART.  Or were.

My guess is that these people have no direction of their own, so they latch on to someone or something that can relieve them of the chore of decision-making.

Reply #5 - October 30, 2008, 03:25 AM

That would be an interesting story to read. I wonder if he's game to post it.

I doubt that very much. He's got himself into a quandary that requires a lot of personal courage and self-honesty to get out of. Of course, if he is really married to a Muslimah and has children this might even be harder. If he is scared of being laughed at when he (if he ever does) tell us I can understand. After all, who likes being made fun of for converting to such a fraud? However, I do think that there are signs of his becoming a bit more "enlightened" with his opposition to the death penalty for apostacy from Islam and I wouldn't be surprised if he has even more heresies under his hat. Deprogramming is usually an incremental affair and oftentimes a painstakingly slow one.
     Reply #6 - October 30, 2008, 04:43 AM

I read his post; he doesn't seem to have been obsessed with it at all until he felt challenged on it by the post-9/11 world. Being obsessed with Islam after half heartedly  making a decision to leave it? His source was the prophet of doom site - while he was still a Muslim.  I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, I'm just saying that this guy who was already very ignorant about his own professed religion already had one foot out the door and seems to have just gone crazy with the book buying as a means of making that final decision.

Personally, I don't get this thing about converts from non Muslims.  Not all converts to Islam are the same, not all of them convert for the same reasons, just like not all of us ex Muslims left for the same reasons or had the same experiences in leaving.  Jan Janssen's experiences as a white male convert from Europe would be different than those of a white guy from Washington state, and different than Black woman in  Canada, and so on.  As for the reasons they convert, I suppose those are as varied as they are.  Jan Janssen thinks people do it for marriage, but maybe that's because it was his situation and he natural focuses on things that speak to his own experiences.   As amazing as it might sound, each person is different.

I also don't buy into this 'converts are the most Islamic' thing.  It's a meme, but only because those converts who do get really into knowledge and such tend to be more visible because of race than an Asian or Arab who gets 'really into it'.  You see an Asian really into it, and it's 'Oh right, yeah,' but if you see a convert who's really into it, it's 'Oh, they converted and now they're more Muslim than the Muslims'.  The converts who don't get into the religion too much, and there are a lot of them, are much less visible, on the other hand, because they do blend into the regular society.  Also, I have to point out that there is a lot more pressure placed on converts by the Muslim community to be super-religious, whereas an Arab or Asian brother can go off and sell liquor in his store and have a girlfriend and nobody bats an eye.  Because of the natural lack of knowledge, it's probably natural then for a convert to be 'super Islamic' at least for a while. I knew plenty of converts who started out 'super Muslim' and gradually became more relaxed or liberal the way lots of Arab, Turkish, and Asian people were as they learned more or practised more of the religion.

However, to be honest, I think that a lot of people who convert to Islam do have emotional and mental issues.  Not all, but a fair amount. Is that a cause?  I have definitely seen a lot of people who converted to Islam with mental illnesses, and I think they desired the comfort of a highly structured life where decisions are made for you - how to dress, how to eat, and so on.  

Also, on the idea of 'experiencing it to death', I don't think that's true of converts or convert ex Muslims as a whole.  It's true of some, just as it is true of some 'born Muslims'.  I've come across some convert ex Muslims who never bothered to learn even the basics of the religion.  In fact, this board is the first place I really found ex Muslims who actually seemed to have practised the religion and learned it to some extent in all my searching.

Women leaving more than men - This assumes a greater visibility for women to begin with.  The truth is that no one knows how many people convert each year or how many people leave each year and what gender or race they are.  Plenty of people convert, live, and leave as solitary Muslims on the fringe of a community.  But based on what I've seen over the years of my adulthood, I think the reason female converts who leave seem more obvious is because it often coincides with the end of a marriage.  Not that women are leaving just because they get divorced, but rather, the divorce is the result of the apostasy.  Also, again in my experience, you see women waiting until their kids are grown and then 'suddenly' they get a divorce and leave Islam.  Of course, they were just waiting until they could be assured that there wouldn't be a 'Not Without my Daughter' situation.

[this space for rent]
     Reply #7 - October 30, 2008, 05:55 AM

Hi fading and welcome!

I haven't read Jan Janssen's testimony yet but in many cases (not all) there is a tantalizing element that can be called the "power of the flesh" that really gets males converting.  I remember reading years ago over at ibn Warraq's site of an apostate who noticed a few white converts from Europe and North America who lived in the Middle East with very young wives and it sickened him to no end. I even know of a convert of Japanese descent where I am whom I noticed in private conversations to be quite misogynistic. He is employed in the oil industry and so it's not surprising to find out that a lot of dawa is done on worksites throughout the world wherever a lot of Muslims and infidels are living and working in close proximity to each other in remote locations. Believe me, the oil patch is full of ignorant men with huge animus problems, petty resentments and no feedback to get them out of those ways of thinking. If they are lonely enough (which is often!) they are easy targets for a Muslim to give them suggestive remarks that they can identify with. Notions of male dis-empowerment due to the rise in women's rights can be reinforced by behaviors and attitudes on the part of Muslims that give the infidel resenter of female rights much comfort. This is where the personage of Muhammad as a "comforter" comes in and when such men are isolated and preached to they become very open to suggestion.

Anyways, this guy is considered to be "ghoulish" and "perverted" by several other Orientals that I know and unfortunately, the issue of his being of Japanese background is what raises their suspicions and not his woman-hating sentiments. I googled his name once and found a bunch of postings at several forums by him that take the usual line of making flatulant comparisons between the Old Testament and the Q'uran to buttress his claim that "Islam is just like any other religion". In each of those threads he was shot down in flames and justifiably at that. In one conversation I had with him he brought up the the Last Sermon of the Prophet and it seemed that he was entranced by it. Little did he know that it is highly questionable and that there are different versions of it and that it's resemblance to the Sermon on the Mount makes it a sick joke. At least to me.

But this is an illustration of how Muslim preachers paint Islam with alluring prose and patient channeling of the prospective convert. They find that they don't have to cultivate their feeling side in order to understand the opposite sex if they are Muslim and this is very convenient. It reminds me of the title to one of Erich Fromm's books called ESCAPE FROM FREEDOM. In his case, it is quite apt. 

Have you ever seen the B-movie CARWASH from the Seventies? It's worth watching even if it is incredibly corny. Here's a scene where some women give a Muslim guy a piece of their minds with an impromptu song and dance.

If you watch the whole movie to the end you can see how vulnerable and defensive he is as well as the power of compassion at it's finest.
     Reply #8 - October 30, 2008, 09:30 AM

I can't believe a whole post about nothing but a bit of hear say about hearing of white converts living in the middle east with young wives, yeah sure, really worth all that hassle to get your hands on young women! And some stupid clip from a stupid 70's film. It tells us nothing about converts, but an awful lot about the poster.

There are perks in anything, jobs, joining religions, fan clubs, AA, poetry classes, whatever, and because men universally are attracted to women, and because women, to men, often the club or whatever you've joined will serve as a kind of dating agency, it's where you meet people of the opposite sex and sometimes you might end up in a romance with someone - big deal, so what? If you're gonna try and drag Islam down, try another tack or you'll just end up sounding bitter, jealous and stupid....and quite lonely too.

Ha Ha.
     Reply #9 - October 30, 2008, 10:10 AM

Have you ever seen the B-movie CARWASH from the Seventies? It's worth watching even if it is incredibly corny. Here's a scene where some women give a Muslim guy a piece of their minds with an impromptu song and dance.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yM5N1IGfKnk&feature=related

If you watch the whole movie to the end you can see how vulnerable and defensive he is as well as the power of compassion at it's finest.

I don't see how that vid had anything to do with anything with what you were talking about, "Notions of male dis-empowerment due to the rise in women's rights ", "they (muslim men) don't have to cultivate their feeling side in order to understand the opposite sex if they are Muslim".

That "muslim" guy (they don't refer to him as muslim in the clip, maybe elsewhere in the movie they do.) only objected to the preacher and his practices (living rich off the collection plate), and he got "showed up"? No, he didn't. They sang a song, but that didn't mean he (the "muslim") wasn't right.

I chose to get circumcised at 17, don't tell me I never believed.
     Reply #10 - October 30, 2008, 11:01 AM

In fact, this board is the first place I really found ex Muslims who actually seemed to have practised the religion and learned it to some extent in all my searching.

thnkyu

Intelligent and expressive ex-muslims are few and far between, I'm glad you're here.

I do wish Hassan would stick around though, and not get so miffed by ignorance.

Reply #11 - October 30, 2008, 11:25 AM

I can't believe a whole post about nothing but a bit of hear say about hearing of white converts living in the middle east with young wives, yeah sure, really worth all that hassle to get your hands on young women! And some stupid clip from a stupid 70's film. It tells us nothing about converts, but an awful lot about the poster.

There are perks in anything, jobs, joining religions, fan clubs, AA, poetry classes, whatever, and because men universally are attracted to women, and because women, to men, often the club or whatever you've joined will serve as a kind of dating agency, it's where you meet people of the opposite sex and sometimes you might end up in a romance with someone - big deal, so what? If you're gonna try and drag Islam down, try another tack or you'll just end up sounding bitter, jealous and stupid....and quite lonely too.

Wow! Such insight and ignorance again from this  forum's version of Samurai Jack. So proud of his ignorance and willing to parade it in font of everybody too.
     Reply #12 - October 30, 2008, 11:29 AM

Wow! Such insight and ignorance again from this  forum's version of Samurai Jack. So proud of his ignorance and willing to parade it in font of everybody too.

\

yes, yes, very good, Samurai Jack, ooooh, scary - but why don't you say something that makes sense for once? Address points raised, it's not all about petty sniping you know, or maybe you don't know.

Ha Ha.
     Reply #13 - October 30, 2008, 11:31 AM

In fact, this board is the first place I really found ex Muslims who actually seemed to have practised the religion and learned it to some extent in all my searching.

thnkyu

Intelligent and expressive ex-muslims are few and far between, I'm glad you're here.

I do wish Hassan would stick around though, and not get so miffed by ignorance.

Me too, but you can't blame him, I guess.

Ha Ha.
     Reply #14 - October 30, 2008, 11:34 AM

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yM5N1IGfKnk&feature=related

I don't see how that vid had anything to do with anything with what you were talking about, "Notions of male dis-empowerment due to the rise in women's rights ", "they (muslim men) don't have to cultivate their feeling side in order to understand the opposite sex if they are Muslim".

That "muslim" guy (they don't refer to him as muslim in the clip, maybe elsewhere in the movie they do.) only objected to the preacher and his practices (living rich off the collection plate), and he got "showed up"? No, he didn't. They sang a song, but that didn't mean he (the "muslim") wasn't right.

Maybe you should watch the movie but then again I don't expect you to face a lot of things honestly nor intelligently.  As you go on about your life nambying around and being offended by those who see the glaring faults  of Islam it's easy to see why you can't understand that Richard Pryor was making a parody of "get rich quick" preachers. This is evidence that Islam preys on dunces too and even if those dunces leave Islam they can easily remain dunces and keep company with other dunces like Jack.
     Reply #15 - October 30, 2008, 11:39 AM

\

yes, yes, very good, Samurai Jack, ooooh, scary - but why don't you say something that makes sense for once? Address points raised, it's not all about petty sniping you know, or maybe you don't know.

If you can't make sense of that then you're dumber than I thought. Just coming up with excuses like going on about there "being perks in anything" makes you sound like a crackhead . I addressed points but your postings are about petty sniping and you know it.
     Reply #16 - October 30, 2008, 11:41 AM

If you can't make sense of that then you're dumber than I thought. Just coming up with excuses like going on about there "being perks in anything" makes you sound like a crackhead .

Your observations are rightly askew, with your head where it is. Child. Just put me on ignore, there's a good old buddy.

* You're pushing me to make it public in front of all, I don't think you really want that, do you?

Ha Ha.
     Reply #17 - October 30, 2008, 11:45 AM

If you can't make sense of that then you're dumber than I thought. Just coming up with excuses like going on about there "being perks in anything" makes you sound like a crackhead .

Your observations are rightly askew, with your head where it is. Child. Just put me on ignore, there's a good old buddy.

* You're pushing me to make it public in front of all, I don't think you really want that, do you?

Man oh man! Hassan must be so embarrassed to have you as a brother. You're just incredible and need to be kicked off the board..
     Reply #18 - October 30, 2008, 11:56 AM

Maybe you should watch the movie but then again I don't expect you to face a lot of things honestly nor intelligently.

I'll watch it just to spite you. It doesn't look that bad anyway. I like Richard Pryor.

As you go on about your life nambying around and being offended by those who see the glaring faults of Islam...

Where are you coming from? I see glaring faults with Islam, who am I to get offended?

you can't understand that Richard Pryor was making a parody of "get rich quick" preachers.

I can't?

That "muslim" guy only objected to the preacher and his practices (living rich off the collection plate),

This is evidence that Islam preys on dunces too and even if those dunces leave Islam they can easily remain dunces and keep company with other dunces like Jack.

It is you who are the dunce sir. You do not even comprehend what you read! Nor can you write coherently!

Reply #19 - October 30, 2008, 01:04 PM

Hassan must be so embarrassed to have you as a brother. You're just incredible and need to be kicked off the board..

I would say it's about a million times less embarrassing than your mother must feel Cheesy

Ha Ha.
     Reply #20 - October 30, 2008, 01:07 PM

It is you who are the dunce sir. You do not even comprehend what you read! Nor can you write coherently!

Well said, you might have to explain the word 'dunce' to him, but well said Wink

It's time to face it Angsty Ballsack, the exit door is on the right, the far right in your case. Toodlepip, sweetpants xxx

Ha Ha.
     Reply #21 - October 30, 2008, 04:25 PM

I get the impression that some converts who perhaps have stopped believing in Islam seem to need to experience Islam to death in the same way some people need to talk a subject to death before they finally decide to leave.

I'm an ex-Muslim who was a convert, and I did not need to "experience Islam to death" in order to leave. Like most of the converts I know, I was very devout and strict for a portion of my time as a Muslim. But towards the end I started getting sick of all the endless and pointless rules. I made some attempts at trying to find a way to retain my belief (prayer, reading Qur'an, all those things that are supposed to help) but I was much less devoutly practicing, and eventually the fact that those things failed to make my belief stronger only further made up my mind to leave. So it was more of a "fuck I just wasted 7 years of my life" than a super-dose of Islam that ended it for me.

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself
    - 32nd United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt
     Reply #22 - October 30, 2008, 04:31 PM

. So it was more of a "fuck I just wasted 7 years of my life" than a super-dose of Islam that ended it for me.

Certainly true in my experience of converts I know. It's a ridiculous thread to be bothered to start in the first place. A crude form  of pigeonholing to make it easier for the bashers.

Ha Ha.
     Reply #23 - November 02, 2008, 03:16 PM

I'm an ex-Muslim who was a convert, and I did not need to "experience Islam to death" in order to leave. Like most of the converts I know, I was very devout and strict for a portion of my time as a Muslim. But towards the end I started getting sick of all the endless and pointless rules. I made some attempts at trying to find a way to retain my belief (prayer, reading Qur'an, all those things that are supposed to help) but I was much less devoutly practicing, and eventually the fact that those things failed to make my belief stronger only further made up my mind to leave. So it was more of a "fuck I just wasted 7 years of my life" than a super-dose of Islam that ended it for me.

Why did you convert in the first place?

Reply #24 - November 02, 2008, 03:52 PM

. So it was more of a "fuck I just wasted 7 years of my life" than a super-dose of Islam that ended it for me.

Certainly true in my experience of converts I know. It's a ridiculous thread to be bothered to start in the first place. A crude form  of pigeonholing to make it easier for the bashers.

I wonder what all the "converts are the most Islamic" threads are doing all over places like Ummah.com, do you think the muslims starting the thread are trying to bash and pigeon hole their fellow muslims?

The thread here is discussing a phenomenom that muslims themselves discuss, even I had this discussion quite a few times long before I left Islam.

No bashing about it.

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #25 - November 02, 2008, 04:03 PM

I wonder what all the "converts are the most Islamic" threads are doing all over places like Ummah.com, do you think the muslims starting the thread are trying to bash and pigeon hole their fellow muslims?

The thread here is discussing a phenomenom that muslims themselves discuss, even I had this discussion quite a few times long before I left Islam.

No bashing about it.

Yes, but as I said, it makes it easier for the bashers to take the point home.

Ha Ha.
     Reply #26 - November 02, 2008, 08:30 PM

So what? You're sounding like Hass: can't say anything because some twit might take it for their own agenda.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #27 - November 02, 2008, 08:32 PM

So what? You're sounding like Hass: can't say anything because some twit might take it for their own agenda.

No not at all, say it by all means, I'm just saying Wink

Ha Ha.
     Reply #28 - November 02, 2008, 10:36 PM

I had that view of converts before, that they were amazing and bright haing converted, and more genuine than Muslims. But when you see the religion for what it is, converts, particularly former atheists, become the most baffling creatures. They embody all the faults of believers (servility, reductionism, etc ) but in much more acute form. On top of that, they have to adopt all the backward cultural traits. So I came to the conclusion that all converts were looking for a club and new set of friends, or had grown up around Muslims and wanted to join their ranks.

Converts from other religions, however, are a fairly reasonable and easy to understand phenomenon.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts. - Bertrand Russell
     Reply #29 - November 03, 2008, 04:11 PM

I think fader said it best; people convert for myriad reasons – I doubt you’ll find a common personality trait that dictates conversions into Islam, just like there wouldn’t necessarily be a common personality trait for those who have left Islam. The convert spectrum is relatively broad – no doubt you’ll find converts in prison, to whom islam has given a purpose, a structure and regiment to life. They exist, and are numerous. But on the flip side, many a intellectual are impressed by the spiritual aspect of islam – inspired by the works of Al Ghazali and stories of sufi saints. A brother I knew quite obviously “converted” to marry a Muslimah. Another was blown away by the autobiography of Malcolm X.

...nor shall they encompass aught of His knowledge, except as He willeth...
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »