Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Bits of the Qur'an you like

(Read 5747 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Bits of the Qur'an you like
     OP - October 27, 2008, 11:12 AM

Ok, I know this might be hard for some of you, but what are some of the bits you like, that you see in a positive light? Please try and keep your sarcasm to a minimum. I will post mine as I find the references (I know what they are, just not the exact # and whatnot).

I chose to get circumcised at 17, don't tell me I never believed.
  • Re: Bits of the Qur'an you like
     Reply #1 - October 27, 2008, 12:28 PM

Ok, I know this might be hard for some of you, but what are some of the bits you like, that you see in a positive light? Please try and keep your sarcasm to a minimum. I will post mine as I find the references (I know what they are, just not the exact # and whatnot).

I really like the credits, especially where God thanks his parents, which kind of blows the gaff very early on Wink

Ha Ha.
     Reply #2 - October 27, 2008, 03:16 PM

Ha. Ha. Ok, I suppose I'll start.

"And indeed We created the heavens and the earth and all between them in six Days and nothing of fatigue touched Us." Qaf 50:38

I liked this as a muslim because it ran counter to the 'challenging to the mind' biblical narrative, of God taking a nap on Saturday.

"And We have indeed made the Qur'ân easy to understand and remember, then is there any that will remember (or receive admonition)?" Al-Qamar 54:17

I liked this because it challenged many muslims relying on blind following of some sheikh.

That's what I've got so far. I've got more, but I'm a procrastinating perfectionist; I'll get it done right, later.

Reply #3 - October 27, 2008, 03:24 PM

"And indeed We created the heavens and the earth and all between them in six Days and nothing of fatigue touched Us." Qaf 50:38

I liked this as a muslim because it ran counter to the 'challenging to the mind' biblical narrative, of God taking a nap on Saturday.

"And We have indeed made the Qur'ân easy to understand and remember, then is there any that will remember (or receive admonition)?" Al-Qamar 54:17

I liked this because it challenged many muslims relying on blind following of some sheikh.

That's what I've got so far. I've got more, but I'm a procrastinating perfectionist; I'll get it done right, later.

There's a bit, I can't remember where, where it describes God as being closer to you 'than your jugular vein', or something like that. I still like that and the implication in it.

Ha Ha.
     Reply #4 - October 27, 2008, 03:54 PM

Ah, that was one of my favorites as well.

"And indeed We have created man, and We know what his ownself whispers to him. And We are nearer to him than his jugular vein (by Our Knowledge)." (Qaf 50:16)

Reply #5 - October 27, 2008, 06:16 PM

Ah, that was one of my favorites as well.

"And indeed We have created man, and We know what his ownself whispers to him. And We are nearer to him than his jugular vein (by Our Knowledge)." (Qaf 50:16)

Maybe I just have a nervous disposition but to me the jugular one sounds like an implied threat.

Gulp..
     Reply #6 - October 27, 2008, 08:05 PM

I like the bits where god supposedly swears by his own creations, and at one point even swears by itself! “By allah!” it shouts. Or does that sound more like the words of a man called Muhammad?

I like the more mystical and biblical–sounding stuff that started off Mo’s career, but appears towards the end of the Qur’ân. My favourite is probably surah 101. The Clatterer! What is… THE CLATTERER!? And what can tell you what is… THE CLATTERER?!

"At 8:47 I do a grenade jump off a ladder."
     Reply #7 - October 27, 2008, 08:12 PM

Don't go talkin' about the Clatterer now, please, anything but not the Clatterer Cry

Ha Ha.
     Reply #8 - October 27, 2008, 08:13 PM

Strange how Two people can look at the same thing. This verse contains the macho/showoff meme that annoys me very much whenever I read (reed) the koran. There is a proverb in Japanese that goes something like: "I eat broken glass and it does not hurt me". This verse and a lot of other verses that contain this meme always sounded like the japanese proverb to me.

I like this verse. But I will admit it is because I am very single minded about reforming/destroying islam whichever comes first and this verse is always useful for my side of the argument.

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #9 - October 27, 2008, 08:29 PM

It's hard for me to narrow down any specific verse that I like now because so many of them have a deeper story that I no longer like.

I used to like the verses that talked about protecting the rights of the Orphans, but since finding out why adoption was forbidden I no longer see it the same rosey light.

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #10 - October 27, 2008, 08:40 PM

My issue with the orphan verse started long before I knew what their purpose was. It was a big issue for me how few, good verses exist in the koran, and I did not like how come so many of those few good verses were used on ophans. To me it felt like muhammad was trying to take the proverbial baby picture that all politicians will try to get as often as they can.

I mean really, if there is only 60 good paragraph, did we really have to waste 5 of those on orphans?

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #11 - October 27, 2008, 09:10 PM

Most of the ‘good’ stuff seems to have come about because of Muhammad’s own personal experience. Ending up brought up by his uncle because of his parents’ deaths, hence his obsession with orphans. Emphasis placed on Zakah because he used to go around begging for money to start off with, even saying things like “Who will lend allah a good loan?”, etc.

"At 8:47 I do a grenade jump off a ladder."
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »