Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

New Britain
Today at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Awesome idea from the BHA

(Read 8279 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Awesome idea from the BHA
     OP - October 22, 2008, 11:20 AM

'No God' slogans for city's buses

Bendy-buses with the slogan "There's probably no God" could soon be running on the streets of London.

The atheist posters are the idea of the British Humanist Association (BHA) and have been supported by prominent atheist Professor Richard Dawkins.

The BHA planned only to raise £5,500, which was to be matched by Professor Dawkins, but it has now raised more than £36,000 of its own accord.

It aims to have two sets of 30 buses carrying the signs for four weeks.

The complete slogan reads: "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life."    bunny

As the campaign has raised more than anticipated, it will also have posters on the inside of buses as well.

The BHA is also considering extending the campaign to cities including Birmingham, Manchester and Edinburgh.

Professor Dawkins said: "Religion is accustomed to getting a free ride - automatic tax breaks, unearned respect and the right not to be offended, the right to brainwash children.

"Even on the buses, nobody thinks twice when they see a religious slogan plastered across the side.

"This campaign to put alternative slogans on London buses will make people think - and thinking is anathema to religion."

Hanne Stinson, chief executive of the BHA, said: "We see so many posters advertising salvation through Jesus or threatening us with eternal damnation, that I feel sure that a bus advert like this will be welcomed as a breath of fresh air.

"If it raises a smile as well as making people think, so much the better."

But Stephen Green of pressure group Christian Voice said: "Bendy-buses, like atheism, are a danger to the public at large  Cheesy

"I should be surprised if a quasi-religious advertising campaign like this did not attract graffiti.

"People don't like being preached at. Sometimes it does them good, but they still don't like it."

However the Methodist Church said it thanked Professor Dawkins for encouraging a "continued interest in God".

Spirituality and discipleship officer Rev Jenny Ellis said: "This campaign will be a good thing if it gets people to engage with the deepest questions of life."

She added: "Christianity is for people who aren't afraid to think about life and meaning."

The buses with the slogans will run in Westminster from January.

Source

This is awesome, a huge step in progress.  Afro

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
  • Re: Awesome idea from the BHA
     Reply #1 - October 22, 2008, 11:25 AM

That is so awesome  bunny I wish I were in London to see this!
     Reply #2 - October 22, 2008, 11:27 AM

That is so awesome  bunny I wish I were in London to see this!

If I sight one during my visits to the big smog I will photo it and post it lol  Tongue

Reply #3 - October 22, 2008, 11:51 AM

I can imagine what kind of a reaction that will spark up though.
     Reply #4 - October 22, 2008, 01:54 PM

Finally something true.

I was not blessed with the ability to have blind faith. I cant beleive something just because someone says its true.
     Reply #5 - October 23, 2008, 08:58 PM

You know, this is strange. Victoria Wood's old series 'Victoria's Empire' is being reshown and on a church wall in Ghana it said 'Come to god. Stop worrying and enjoy your life'.

Religion is ignorance giftwrapped in lyricism.
     Reply #6 - October 23, 2008, 09:42 PM

K. I have a plan. How about we stop worrying about whether or not we should worry about the possibility that there is or isn't a god to come to and just enjoy our lives safe in the certain knowledge that bendy buses exist and they want us to be happy. yes

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #7 - October 24, 2008, 12:55 AM

I can already see it, One bendy-bus will get a flat tire and faithheads will be trading pictures of the broken-down bus on cellphones.

Much nicer then in the middle east, where a bendy-bus will be running the risk of setting off IEDs and faithheads trading pictures of the bus driver getting his beheading.

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #8 - October 24, 2008, 01:13 AM

K. I have a plan. How about we stop worrying about whether or not we should worry about the possibility that there is or isn't a god to come to and just enjoy our lives safe in the certain knowledge that bendy buses exist and they want us to be happy. yes

That sounds perfect.  But I think we would get a problem on Judgement Day when the believers were asked why we didn't attempt to stop the misguided from drinking the poison of unbelief?

We have a responsibility to tell you that your bendy buses are leading you into immorality.  Islam is about more than bendy buses.  It is a way of life, it is beautiful, and it doesn't  contradict reason.

I can't convert you I know, but I should be able to help with lessening your resistance to kufr.
     Reply #9 - October 24, 2008, 03:01 AM

Listen mate, I want  to be led into immorality. Lovin' it. grin12 Also bendy buses are, in their own way, beautiful things. Especially if they arrive when it's freezing cold and pissing down with rain. They also do not contradict reason.

Finally, I can assure you my resistance to kufr could not possibly be lessened.  Cheesy

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #10 - October 24, 2008, 09:00 AM

That sounds perfect.  But I think we would get a problem on Judgement Day when the believers were asked why we didn't attempt to stop the misguided from drinking the poison of unbelief?

We have a responsibility to tell you that your bendy buses are leading you into immorality.  Islam is about more than bendy buses.  It is a way of life, it is beautiful, and it doesn't  contradict reason.

I can't convert you I know, but I should be able to help with lessening your resistance to kufr.

Typical vicar, you know what's best for us. You really think you're something special with your pumped up pompous beliefs.
    Well, I know whats best for you matey, at this time in the morning. You should lighten up and enjoy life a bit more because it's the only one you're sure of having - all the rest is just inside your head, it's not real.
    So, no perfection; no judgement day; nobody asking anything of anybody after death; no poison (except what men invent)and no immorality (strange notion in relation to messages on bendy busses).
    In fact the only thing that's real here is the bendy bus. I'm just so pleased that they didn't choose anything as tasteless as a pink, stretched cadillac. That might have upset you even more.

Reply #11 - October 24, 2008, 09:37 AM

What are you on about Dhahabi? What the hell is wrong with bendy buses? I don't see how this is 'enjoining the good and preventing the evil'. I don't think this campaign will change anyones mind anyway.

I chose to get circumcised at 17, don't tell me I never believed.
     Reply #12 - October 24, 2008, 03:25 PM

What are you on about Dhahabi? What the hell is wrong with bendy buses? I don't see how this is 'enjoining the good and preventing the evil'. I don't think this campaign will change anyones mind anyway.

Right on!  Just shows you how simple religion makes you. Superiority complex or what!

Reply #13 - October 24, 2008, 03:44 PM

Quote from: sojournerlumus
    Right on!  Just shows you how simple religion makes you. Superiority complex or what!

I diidn't understand any of that stuff about bendy buses and Islam. It's a topic worthy of a few books I think. If I was paid to be a muslim, to believe all the silly stuff, say prayers, fast, grow a beard, etc, I would do it but it would have to be at least 30k + PA. That would be the only situation in which I could understand why someone would want to 'be' a Muslim (or Christian, Jew etc). Some reliigions could offer more if they wanted to fight the competition, or there could be bonus schemes, accomodation thrown in, all the perks. In fact, it would be great, but alas, it's fantasy and fucking incredible that people do it voluntarily, for nothing. It's quite an achievement and I'm jealous I didn't think it up. Smiley

Ha Ha.
     Reply #14 - October 24, 2008, 04:46 PM

Quote from: sojournerlumus

I diidn't understand any of that stuff about bendy buses and Islam. It's a topic worthy of a few books I think. If I was paid to be a muslim, to believe all the silly stuff, say prayers, fast, grow a beard, etc, I would do it but it would have to be at least 30k + PA. That would be the only situation in which I could understand why someone would want to 'be' a Muslim (or Christian, Jew etc). Some reliigions could offer more if they wanted to fight the competition, or there could be bonus schemes, accomodation thrown in, all the perks. In fact, it would be great, but alas, it's fantasy and fucking incredible that people do it voluntarily, for nothing. It's quite an achievement and I'm jealous I didn't think it up. Smiley

You forgot the free ticket to heaven, and the extra incentive bonus (one only), a slot on the RHS of god.

Reply #15 - October 24, 2008, 07:52 PM

I would do it but it would have to be at least 30k + PA.

That's cheap.  I'd want 100k and a company car.  And a guaranteed place in heaven.
     Reply #16 - October 24, 2008, 08:49 PM

I would do it but it would have to be at least 30k + PA.

That's cheap.  I'd want 100k and a company car.  And a guaranteed place in heaven.

Oooo, I don't know about the car - the price of fuel and everything. I can do you a nice winged chariot though (brushes cobwebs off and drags out of grandad's shed).

Reply #17 - October 24, 2008, 09:48 PM

Of course you can't have heaven, silly! No use chucking anything else into the pot except for money Afro

Ha Ha.
     Reply #18 - October 25, 2008, 03:25 PM

Have the atheists become more  zealous than the zealots? More preechy than the preechers? More..umm..you get the point. And why the lack of certainity "probably isnt a god"? Probably? The BHA are spending money to tell people that god "probably" doesnt exist! Where's the conviction - the umph - the hard sell!

...nor shall they encompass aught of His knowledge, except as He willeth...
     Reply #19 - October 25, 2008, 03:49 PM

Have the atheists become more  zealous than the zealots? More preechy than the preechers? More..umm..you get the point. And why the lack of certainity "probably isnt a god"? Probably? The BHA are spending money to tell people that god "probably" doesnt exist! Where's the conviction - the umph - the hard sell!

Not allowed because the bus company doesn't wish to offend any religious sensibilities and adding "probably" helps avoid a law suit. 

You can read about it here and here.

You can also read in those articles about the Christian advertising campaign that was on the buses, instead of leaping to the "athiests more pushy than the believers" false accusations.  Afro

Reply #20 - October 25, 2008, 05:28 PM

It doesn't matter whether your religious or atheist, pushy people will always find a way. It's a human trait, not a religious one. I've met as many pushy atheists as I have religous people.

Ha Ha.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »