Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
April 16, 2024, 07:25 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Psycotherapy, depression and personality type?

(Read 5615 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Psycotherapy, depression and personality type?
     OP - October 18, 2008, 03:38 PM

Now I know alot of you think that MBTI personality types are a load of ol tripe (totally discounting how dang accurate the type descriptions can be, especially when cognitive functions are factored in) and some of you don't have a clue what an MBTI type is, but I do believe them to hold more truth than fantasy and my personality type is the infp.

Now I am one of those people for whom life is always full of more sadness than happiness.  I have an air of melancholy about me, people tell me I have sad eyes  Roll Eyes.  I write sad poetry, think sad thoughts, I cry alot over silly things and have depression practially hovering in the background all the time.

Even at my most happiest time of my life I still had moments where I just needed to be sad, even when I was happy I was writing poetry about suicide.  I wrote this when I was 16/17 and believe me I was having a great time in life at the time, it was fantastic, I was young, I was considered highly attractive and had an untold amount of guys chasing me (heady times  Cheesy).  I was making a bucket full of money, I had a load of friends, but even then this is what I was writing when no one was looking:

You look up, you wonder,
    is your mind all there.
    You look around and smile
    At friends who don't care.

You've lost all meaning,
    All purpose to life.
    You notice the beauty of steel,
    The coldness of the knife.

It's lying in your hand,
    Just waiting to be used.
    You're a child really,
    Just an adult abused.

You have nothing but yourself,
    No family, no friends.
    The tears roll down and drop,
    This is the end.

The blade slices deep.
    But you don't notice the hurt.
    A faint smile appears,
    this wound is not the first.

Now you are free,
    Now you soar through the sky.
    No worries, no pain,
    No tears will you cry.

You're safe now, you're gone,
    And no one can hurt,
    Hurt you like they did,
    From the end to the first.

As you fly so you spy,
    A coffin on the ground.
    There are no mourners there,
    No one is around.

And even free like that,
    Tears form in your eyes.
    The coffin was yours,
    It's for yourself that you cry.

Pretty screwed up huh? lol

Now for most of my life I have seen myself as ill and in need of therapy to help cure me of this depression that has pulled me down my whole life.

Then about 3 years ago I discovered my MBTI type, and my sadness, my alienation that I feel from society, my solitary nature, it all appeared in the type description of an INFP.  An identification with broken and discarded things.

So I find myself now wondering if therapy is even worth it, if my personality type is this person that I want therapied out of me, then it seems pointless to keep trying.  I can not be one of the normal people, I am an infp I am meant to be the epitome of emo.

The psychotherapist said that I had a borderline personlity disorder, but is it a personality disorder or just my personality and something I must learn to live with?

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
  • Re: Psycotherapy, depression and personality type?
     Reply #1 - October 18, 2008, 03:43 PM

I can not be one of the normal people,

There's no such thing.  I think I've said this to you before, but the only reason you think the rest of us are normal is because you can't see inside our heads.  We're all as mad as you, I guarantee you. Tongue

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #2 - October 18, 2008, 03:52 PM

There's no such thing.  I think I've said this to you before, but the only reason you think the rest of us are normal is because you can't see inside our heads.  We're all as mad as you, I guarantee you. Tongue

Heh, I'd like to believe that lol but even the MBTI explains why everyone else seems normal by comparison. (to me)

Reply #3 - October 18, 2008, 04:28 PM

Heh, I'd like to believe that lol but even the MBTI explains why everyone else seems normal by comparison. (to me)

Why do you hold MBTI in such regard?

Ha Ha.
     Reply #4 - October 18, 2008, 04:33 PM

Why do you hold MBTI in such regard?

Because it makes so much sense, especially when I get to see how accurate it is on a day to day basis.  I mean some people I know are complete matches for the type descriptions relevent to their type.

I've met members of my own type and it has been like staring into a mirror, shockingly similar. 

It's nice sticking people into a box, a stereotype from where I can I feel safe because I'm not about to be surprised by unexplainable behaviour.

Human behaviour is a minefield and I am wary of what I do not understand, this gives me a greater understanding than I had before.

I hold it in high regard because it makes so much sense to me.

Reply #5 - October 18, 2008, 06:18 PM

Why be normal?  Normal is boring dear. Normal equates to taking what people in authority say, and believing without question. 

Sure, it may be fine for most of the world, but I would rather ask questions and challenge authority. Than let some fool who couldn't find his ass with both hands, a flashlight, and a map, tell me he is doing what's right for everyone.

I don't want to be a sheep, brainlessly following the herd. And I am happy with myself.

I may not always like my life, but it's so much better than the life of fools who think others will always take care of them.  Wink

hugs  Be scarcastic, rude, and obnoxious. It keeps life exciting.  whistling2

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I remain.
     Reply #6 - October 18, 2008, 07:54 PM

Why be normal?  Normal is boring dear. Normal equates to taking what people in authority say, and believing without question. 

Sure, it may be fine for most of the world, but I would rather ask questions and challenge authority. Than let some fool who couldn't find his ass with both hands, a flashlight, and a map, tell me he is doing what's right for everyone.

I don't want to be a sheep, brainlessly following the herd. And I am happy with myself.

I don't want to be a sheep, but I would like to actually make it to greener pastures on my own lol but I keep wandering off to look at the rainbows and pink unicorns if you catch my mbti drift? aloofandbored0

At least the other sheep get there.  They also think I'm weird because my wools all pink and glittery, and I don't like getting sheared.  Tongue

I may not always like my life, but it's so much better than the life of fools who think others will always take care of them.  Wink

I feel guilty being too rude and obnoxious and I'm always sarcastic (my kids hate it lol).

I get what you are saying, but what I am saying is do you (and you of all people should understand where I;m coming from  Wink) think I should go for the therapy or learn to accept that the things I think need therapy are infact part of who I am and therefore never going to be changed through therapy?

I mean am I depressed or just an INFP?

Reply #7 - October 18, 2008, 08:01 PM

I'm afraid I'm one of those who doesn't believe in MBTI.  I think the accuracy you perceive is due to the Forer Effect....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forer_effect

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #8 - October 18, 2008, 08:06 PM

I don't want to be a sheep, but I would like to actually make it to greener pastures on my own lol but I keep wandering off to look at the rainbows and pink unicorns if you catch my mbti drift? aloofandbored0

At least the other sheep get there.  They also think I'm weird because my wools all pink and glittery, and I don't like getting sheared.  Tongue

I feel guilty being too rude and obnoxious and I'm always sarcastic (my kids hate it lol).

I get what you are saying, but what I am saying is do you (and you of all people should understand where I;m coming from  Wink) think I should go for the therapy or learn to accept that the things I think need therapy are infact part of who I am and therefore never going to be changed through therapy?

I mean am I depressed or just an INFP?

Personally, if something keeps you from living life as you feel it should be, get some help. Or if you have the guts too...change it on your own. I did, although it took a rather long time, and much pain and problems.

My mother with the advice of my step dad, made me go to a psychiatrist when I was 9 till I was 11. He didn't really fix anything,just wasted my time, plus he thought drugs were the answer to most problems.

And personally I think it's a combination of depression, and being an INFP. I feel it too, and sometimes succumb. So I force myself to leave the house for the day and do interesting things. Smiley

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I remain.
     Reply #9 - October 18, 2008, 08:10 PM

I'm afraid I'm one of those who doesn't believe in MBTI.  I think the accuracy you perceive is due to the Forer Effect....

Maybe to some extent, but there are many negative traits that Berbs and I see in ourselves that tend to discount the Forer Effect. At least to my disturbed and unbalanced mind.  idiot2

And no I don't believe in Astrology, or mind reading. Nor do I think MBTI is perfect and explains everything. Human beings are too complex and irrational to be completely quantified in a single set of questions and answers.

Wink

Reply #10 - October 18, 2008, 08:12 PM

I will respond to this once I've had a chance to do some research and understand it better, and whether it applies in this case or not.

I got to say though, MBTI is much more specific than a horoscope.  It's not vague at all.

I've never had a moment where i can go "ah, he is definately a leo, you can tell" but there have been many times that I have been able to say "ah, that's an enfp over there" and been dead on the money, because of how unvague it is.

Reply #11 - October 18, 2008, 08:17 PM

One of the reasons I'm dubious is that every time I take the test I get a different result. wacko

Reply #12 - October 18, 2008, 08:21 PM

Personally, if something keeps you from living life as you feel it should be, get some help. Or if you have the guts too...change it on your own. I did, although it took a rather long time, and much pain and problems.

My mother with the advice of my step dad, made me go to a psychiatrist when I was 9 till I was 11. He didn't really fix anything,just wasted my time, plus he thought drugs were the answer to most problems.

And personally I think it's a combination of depression, and being an INFP. I feel it too, and sometimes succumb. So I force myself to leave the house for the day and do interesting things. Smiley

Honestly I think that's the only thing I can do, "change" on my own.  Although I would love to see a therapist, or anyone really who I can pour out all my repressed stuff onto I just don't see any suggestions they make as being something that could possibly change the way I always feel.

I mean I NEED to talk, really need to talk about stuff I never tell anyone, but it would just be offloading, it wouldn't change a damn thing really.

I'm hearing about this cognitive behaviour therapy? (think that's what its called) and it's about changing the way you think about something.  Again there is only so much I can change about the way I think about things because the way i think about things is the way alot of my type think about things lol

Ah, dag namit, in some ways life was simpler when I didn't know my type, because then I was screwed up but therapy offered some eternal hope.  Now knowing that this isn't a disorder but rather my actual mental make up, there seems to be no hope aside from eventual maturity and my weaker functions strengthening.

I'm no good when there is no hope ahead.

Reply #13 - October 18, 2008, 08:32 PM

One of the reasons I'm dubious is that every time I take the test I get a different result. wacko

I always get the same result and I have actually tried to get something else  Cheesy.

I'm not sure why you keep getting a different result, maybe if you took the cognitive process test (which for some reason I can't find right now) and work  your type out from those results, I know alot of people finalise their type that way.

Reply #14 - October 18, 2008, 11:51 PM

I always get the same result and I have actually tried to get something else  Cheesy.

Same here, although I fluctuate between INFP and INFJ.  Smiley

Reply #15 - October 21, 2008, 02:22 PM

Just found this. Wow.

Why do you want to be normal? Im not normal. I pretend that Im cool and everything and that Im just another typical Punjabi but its not strictly true. No-one is normal. There is no such thing as a normal person. There was this guy at the girls school who everyone loved ( a teacher) and though he was a really nice person and very ""normal"". Turns out he was a paedo. Im not calling you a paedo but being "normal" is skin deep.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »