Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Why the world makes more sense if you take god out of the equation.

(Read 33819 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 4 ... 7 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Why the world makes more sense if you take god out of the equation.
     Reply #30 - November 10, 2008, 10:08 PM

Unless you can identify some kind of objective basis for your claims of what is right or wrong with evidence to support it, that's all your 'moral' notions are - preferences.

Sparky, what objective basis do you use to discern between right and wrong?

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #31 - November 10, 2008, 10:18 PM

So what?  You happen not to like hurting other people, others don't mind so much.  They are still both just preferences, neither more nor less.

If that's really what you think, then I hope you stay religious.  Some people cannot stay within the boundaries of decent behaviour without believing in a supernatural CCTV constantly looking over their shoulder. Its pathetic, but I suppose its one of those weird things that human nature throws up from time to time.

Honestly it's that attitude of sparkys that makes me unable to muster up the patience to explain myself to him, because he is one of those people who thinks religion is the ONLY thing that can be used to decide decent behaviour.   It's used to baffle me when my ex used to say that too, that without religion people would be allowed to do what they want because without god judging them people would have no moral compass in which to steer themselves with.   Roll Eyes

Poor things, can you imagine what it must be like to live like that?  to know that deep down you are so depraved that if you no longer feared god's displeasure you would do so many bad things?   wacko

Hi Berbs,
    You claimed that the world made more sense without God.  My question is how decide what is right or wrong without God.  Unless you have some other basis for deciding this objectively so that it applies to all people everywhere - then what you are left with is your own personal preferences for behaviours that you like and behaviours that you don't like.  As these are preferences, there is no reason to call them 'right' or 'wrong' in any objective sense at all.

If you end up in a world where you are constantly behaving and believing that some behaviours are absolutely wrong (say rape, for example) but actually have no evidence for why they should be judged so then it seems that the world actually makes less sense to you and not more.  On the one hand you are insisting on objective evidence for God to include him in your view of reality but then you are including 'right' and 'wrong' in your reality without any evidence at all.  This is inconsistent and irrational.

The argument isn't about how people will behave if God doesn't exist - that would be an argument from consequences and therefore invalid.  It's about whether your claim that the world makes more sense is really true - even for you.

As far as I can see, while giving up God may mean giving up the problem of him being responsible for evil but it also means giving up the idea of evil altogether.  I can't see how that makes more sense.

And it's not fear that drives the Christian - you are mixing up Christianity and Islam again - it's love.  Because we're forgiven by God, we don't have to fear him or the consequences of doing bad things.  Having been loved by God motivates us to love others.

Cheers,
    sparky
     Reply #32 - November 10, 2008, 11:38 PM

how (does one) decide what is right or wrong without God.  Unless you have some other basis for deciding this objectively so that it applies to all people everywhere

May I ask you, Sparky, what is the basis you use to decide objectively what is right & wrong?
     Reply #33 - November 10, 2008, 11:47 PM

Unless you can identify some kind of objective basis for your claims of what is right or wrong with evidence to support it, that's all your 'moral' notions are - preferences.

Thirded. grin12

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #34 - November 11, 2008, 12:14 AM

If there is no God, then evil doesn't exist at all.  There are only things that you like and things that you don't like.  You may like chocolate ice cream, someone else may like preying on children.  I'm amazed to hear that you think that makes more sense.

It does make more sense, and of course good an evil only exist within the minds of humans, or any conscious being that creates such a concept. That does not mean it is helpful to a species survival. Perhaps reading a bit into Richards Dawkin's ‘The Selfish Gene’. Sure there is the likelihood of a a selfish gene, but at least the most evolutionary beneficial act is tit for tat.

But seeing your previous troubles with Phedippedes concerning the matter, I will not be much help to you in explaining.

\\\\\\\"The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong.\\\\\\\"-Carl Jung
     Reply #35 - November 11, 2008, 12:14 AM

Thirded. grin12

Fourthded. Fourthèd? Fourthed? Oh thanks… leave me with the hard one, eh?

"At 8:47 I do a grenade jump off a ladder."
     Reply #36 - November 11, 2008, 12:17 AM

It's just random and no one can be held accountable for it and that makes much more sense than worshipping a god that makes those kind of judgement calls.

If there is no God, then evil doesn't exist at all.  There are only things that you like and things that you don't like.  You may like chocolate ice cream, someone else may like preying on children.  I'm amazed to hear that you think that makes more sense.

Someone else likes preying on children because they have a psychological disorder of some kind, NOT because they are full of evil and the devil.  Something wrong in the mind, something that one day science, and not religion, will fix.  I'm amazed that your amazed that I think it makes more sense.  Wink

Hey, maybe we can find scientific fixes for those psychos who like chocolate too.  But glad to see you agree that evil doesn't exist if there is no God.  Just a random variety of behaviours determined by a random selection of genes/chemicals/societal influences that one group classifies for another.  I can't wait for the day that science is ready to fix that other pyschological 'weakness' you were talking about - the tendency to believe in the supernatural - that seems to afflict atheists in such large numbers. Let's hope the religious don't get hold of the science first or it might be you getting fixed!  It's such a slippery slope to militancy isn't it?

What an absurd world you live in.

The belief in the supernatural serves as a comfort food, like chocolate. It makes you feel better. Some religions have hell, chocolate can make you fat.. or some other some such..

\\\\\\\"The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong.\\\\\\\"-Carl Jung
     Reply #37 - November 11, 2008, 07:48 AM

Thirded. grin12

Fourthded. Fourthèd? Fourthed? Oh thanks… leave me with the hard one, eh?

lol...

Hope u r well Pazuzu Smiley
     Reply #38 - November 11, 2008, 10:44 AM

Quote from: sparky

The reality I'm trying to explain includes what I observe about myself.  I don't seem to be able to escape from the idea that a right and wrong really exists outside of myself (i.e. objectively).  I think that way and I behave that way - even to the point of feeling guilty about things that I have wanted and chosen to do.  I.e. I'm measuring my behaviour against a standard that exists outside of my own wants and preferences.  I would also say that everyone I have ever met, also seems to think and behave that way.  This means that if I come up with an explanation of reality that excludes the existence of an objective right and wrong, then I have to face believing in contradiction to what my nature really is.  I would have to deny all my urges towards believing in a real right and wrong just as Berbs talks about denying her urges towards real meaning.

The only way I can see to identifying an objective right and wrong is to believe that God exists and that he is the source of this right and wrong.  He would be external to all human ideas of right and wrong and therefore objective to all. The only God that I think has a credible claim to being this source is the Christian one.  This is because the core of my (and most people's) urges towards right and wrong seem to revolve around the idea of 'love'.  Acting for the 'good' of others (or loving them) is right and acting against their good is bad.  The core of the Christian claim is that God 'loves' people and that he showed this love by sending his son to die for them.  My conscience also tells me that the highest act of love is to be ready to die for someone else.  This is what makes a true 'hero'.

So the objective basis for what I use to discern between right and wrong is the Christian God and what he has revealed about himself.

Cheers,
    sparky
     Reply #39 - November 11, 2008, 01:56 PM

The only way I can see to identifying an objective right and wrong is to believe that God exists and that he is the source of this right and wrong.  He would be external to all human ideas of right and wrong and therefore objective to all. The only God that I think has a credible claim to being this source is the Christian one.  This is because the core of my (and most people's) urges towards right and wrong seem to revolve around the idea of 'love'.  Acting for the 'good' of others (or loving them) is right and acting against their good is bad.  The core of the Christian claim is that God 'loves' people and that he showed this love by sending his son to die for them.  My conscience also tells me that the highest act of love is to be ready to die for someone else.  This is what makes a true 'hero'.

So the objective basis for what I use to discern between right and wrong is the Christian God and what he has revealed about himself.

Cheers,
    sparky

This all sounds very subjective to me, Sparky. The claim that God showed his love by sending his son (he had a son?) to die for people may make sense to you - but it sounds utterly ridiculous to me.

And what has this got to do with objective criteria?

What I want to know is what is this objective criteria you talk of?

What are the details of it so that one can decide whether this or that action is right or wrong - in an 'objective' way?
     Reply #40 - November 11, 2008, 02:26 PM

I found the world made much less sense without God. Maybe the idea has been ingrained in me for so long, but life does feel incredibly empty and meaningless sometimes, when I take God out of the equation.

As a believer, I never had a problem with the existence of evil. Evil necessarily existed so we could distinguish good.

It still feels that way to me too, just because the world makes more sense without god on a rational level doesn't mean that my emotional need to believe in something more has faded.

Life IS meaningless if there is no order to the random pattern that dictates life and how people live it, however the need for order to the randomness is only driven by an emotional need, rationality dictates that god does not exist and that life is random chaos no matter how much desire wishes for something more.

So how did you rationalise god allowing children to die from birth defects, disabilities and abuse?  How did you rationalise god making some people rich and some people poor, some people pretty and some people ugly? Those small things make a HUGE difference in the life quiality and decisions that human will make, and those life decisions will be what god uses to determine who is good and who deserves hell.  The rational behind that was something I mused over often yet shoved to the back of my mind as being beyond my understanding.  and yet remove god from the picture and you are left with something that makes sense. 

Rondomness, no meaning, it just happens, that is eaiser to understand.

I've been rereading some of this thread and your remarks here are exactly my conclusions too, Berbs.
    I think that when some folk say that they can fill any emptiness they feel with prayer, what they mean is that prayer makes them feel watched over in a very personal way.
     As for the rest of us, well I just whistle a happy tune. What's the point of trying to conjure up something for the sake of it and thereby changing your relationship with the rest of Humanity because they happen to have conjured up something the same but different.

Religion is ignorance giftwrapped in lyricism.
     Reply #41 - November 11, 2008, 02:40 PM

I'm slowly trying to swallow that nothing will happen to me once I die.

Why not just slowly try to swallow that you haven't got a clue what happens when we die? I think it's a more useful approach, no? (actually, I think there are a lot of clues, but sifting through the evidence just takes you round in circles - may aswell agree to not know rather than bank on one or the other.)

That's a very good point. Sifting through evidence is in my nature though  Wink

Me too. I've got to bifurcate from Jack on this one. Just because we don't have evidence for any  reality/world other than this one, but at the same time ,through science, we can now take a view across a pre-history before Humanity (and Conciousness) even came about, says to me that we go nowhere as an individual. When our body dies, our 'soul' dies too..
    There are those who cannot envisage not having a 'soul' that is , removed from our physical being. But the evidence says that we have a conciousness and a body that we pass on to the next generation, even as we live, by breeding.
    Perhaps what religicoes mean by 'god'  is just a visualised 'greater humanity'.

Reply #42 - November 11, 2008, 03:55 PM

Quote from: Hassan
    This all sounds very subjective to me, Sparky. The claim that God showed his love by sending his son (he had a son?) to die for people may make sense to you - but it sounds utterly ridiculous to me.

Hi Hassan,

Subjective means existing only in a persons mind.  The claims of Christianity are external to my mind and can be examined by both you and I independently.  Therefore they are not subjective at all.

You may choose not to believe it because you find it to be 'ridiculous' but that's not actually an argument at all, it's a logical fallacy.  You finding something ridiculous has no bearing on whether it is actually true or not.  As a concept I may find the duckbilled platypus ridiculous but it still exists.

Cheetah asked for my 'objective basis'.  The Christian God is my 'objective basis' - i.e. the source of my concept of what is right and wrong that is external to my mind.

What are the details of it so that one can decide whether this or that action is right or wrong - in an 'objective' way?

I've already said.  The core of it is 'love'.  Love is acting for the good of the beloved.  The good of all people is to be in relationship of love with their God.  Love is therefore acts that point people towards God and encourages them to choose a relationship with him.  The command of God is to love all people - even those who are your enemies and actively want to hurt you and even if this is at the cost of your own life.

If you want to embrace a world without God, you'll need to reconcile yourself to a world where love doesn't exist at all - because there is no objective good and therefore no acts that are for the 'good' of the beloved.  Does that really make more sense to you?

Cheers,
    sparky
     Reply #43 - November 11, 2008, 03:58 PM

Quote from: sojournerlumus
    I've been rereading some of this thread and your remarks here are exactly my conclusions too, Berbs.
    I think that when some folk say that they can fill any emptiness they feel with prayer, what they mean is that prayer makes them feel watched over in a very personal way.
     As for the rest of us, well I just whistle a happy tune. What's the point of trying to conjure up something for the sake of it and thereby changing your relationship with the rest of Humanity because they happen to have conjured up something the same but different.

'Just whistling a happy tune' sound quite a lot like 'conjuring up something for the sake of it'.
     Reply #44 - November 11, 2008, 06:04 PM

The core of it is 'love'.  Love is acting for the good of the beloved.  The good of all people is to be in relationship of love with their God.  Love is therefore acts that point people towards God and encourages them to choose a relationship with him.  The command of God is to love all people - even those who are your enemies and actively want to hurt you and even if this is at the cost of your own life.

If you want to embrace a world without God, you'll need to reconcile yourself to a world where love doesn't exist at all - because there is no objective good and therefore no acts that are for the 'good' of the beloved.  Does that really make more sense to you?

Yes, I do understand, but I don't agree that one needs to believe in God to either show such love for others or do good and know right from wrong. (btw I personally do believe in God and I believe that one can know what is right and wrong through one's conscience - even if that may not always be clear and may differ depending on the situation - and even if we get it wrong sometimes.)

What you are saying is of course similar to what Muslims say - and the sort of thing that I used to believe. Namely that one cannot really ever truly know right from wrong without having the 'objective' source of God (and in their case the Qur'an).

But Christians  (and Muslims) disagree within themselves about many issues of what is right and wrong - and the ones they agree on (such as don't murder, rape, steal etc...) are things all humans agree on.

And there are things in both the Qur'an and Bible (such God in the Old Testament demanding the slaughter of whole peoples including women, children and animals etc... ) that I would say are wrong and immoral.

Finally how does one know the Qur'an is the word of God or Jesus is the son of God and died on the cross for us?

Forgive me for my use of the word 'subjective'. Let me try again. That God showed his love by sending his son to die for people is not an inescapable conclusion one must come to after examining the facts or scriptures or by any other set of actions or rational or logical research. In other words it is quite possible that sane, sincere and reasonable people may find such a belief to be unbelievable.

Yet if such a belief is so essential to knowing what is right or wrong - then why has God left it seem so unbelievable to millions - or billions of people - like me?

If God loved us so much - why leave things so confusing - and imho utterly unbelievable?

Reply #45 - November 11, 2008, 07:31 PM

Cheetah asked for my 'objective basis'.  The Christian God is my 'objective basis' - i.e. the source of my concept of what is right and wrong that is external to my mind.

How does this Christian God tell you right from wrong, Sparky?  Does he send you e-mails?  How do you know what God thinks is right or wrong?

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #46 - November 11, 2008, 08:03 PM

'Just whistling a happy tune' sound quite a lot like 'conjuring up something for the sake of it'.

No lad (ladette), whistling  just makes you feel a little bit braver. Don't read more into it than that. It's like warning whatever adversary you face that you're still there and still game for a fight. And you don't need any help from any imaginary friend.

Reply #47 - November 11, 2008, 08:22 PM

Quote from: sparky

The reality I'm trying to explain includes what I observe about myself.  I don't seem to be able to escape from the idea that a right and wrong really exists outside of myself (i.e. objectively).  I think that way and I behave that way - even to the point of feeling guilty about things that I have wanted and chosen to do.  I.e. I'm measuring my behaviour against a standard that exists outside of my own wants and preferences.  I would also say that everyone I have ever met, also seems to think and behave that way.  This means that if I come up with an explanation of reality that excludes the existence of an objective right and wrong, then I have to face believing in contradiction to what my nature really is.  I would have to deny all my urges towards believing in a real right and wrong just as Berbs talks about denying her urges towards real meaning.

Cheers,
    sparky

Just read thro' your post again (2/10 by the way)  and then tell  me truthfully where you haven't erred on the side of subjectivity. It'll be easier and shorter than vice versa.  What a manifestly awful post. Are you going down with kidney stones or something (I'm trying to be generous here).
    Berbs does not deny her feelings towards real meaning. Where the Jim Hill did you get that from?
    Objectivity is the only measure you need to suss out anything.
    You obviously haven't , by your own admission, met enough people of different stripes yet.
    The christian claim to credibility is only the same as any other religion's and none of those have any objectivity.
    What you observe about yourself doesn't add up to anything. Right and wrong don't exist outside of yourself, it's all in your mind. It's always a subjective judgement.
    Whether it's only one mind or the whole of the collective mind's distillation, it's still subjective without evidence, whatever it is.
    Oh, and love isn't the sole preserve of anyone except the whole of Humanity. You seem to have an almost crippled view of anyone outside of your chosen circle.

Reply #48 - November 11, 2008, 09:08 PM

I agree that it was a truly awful post but I don't have time to dissect it this morning. Damn there's a stack of ammunition there though. Cheesy

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #49 - November 11, 2008, 10:58 PM

Yes, I do understand, but I don't agree that one needs to believe in God to either show such love for others or do good and know right from wrong. (btw I personally do believe in God and I believe that one can know what is right and wrong through one's conscience - even if that may not always be clear and may differ depending on the situation - and even if we get it wrong sometimes.)

But that is the point.  Conscience is subjective, influenceable, changeable and unclear.  If I continually ignore my conscience, eventually it stops speaking to me.  As a result it is not true to say that you can 'know' right from wrong based on it.  No matter what our conscience tells us, as rational beings, we tend to ask 'why?'.  So there is no escaping the need for external evidence if you want to claim that it is actually right or wrong.  Otherwise, you 'feel' right or wrong - i.e. it is a preference for certain types of behaviour - you don't 'know' it.

But if God has told you nothing about himself, what possible relevance does he have to your life?

What you are saying is of course similar to what Muslims say - and the sort of thing that I used to believe. Namely that one cannot really ever truly know right from wrong without having the 'objective' source of God (and in their case the Qur'an).

In this, they are correct.  Like you said, not everything is bad or evil about Islam Smiley.

But Christians  (and Muslims) disagree within themselves about many issues of what is right and wrong - and the ones they agree on (such as don't murder, rape, steal etc...) are things all humans agree on.

And?  The fact that people do not agree, does not mean that there is no truth.  And no, not all humans agree on these things.  I was recently living in Afghanistan where it would not be unheard of for a family member to see the rape of the woman in another tribe to be the 'right' way of restoring their honour.  Same will murder.

And there are things in both the Qur'an and Bible (such God in the Old Testament demanding the slaughter of whole peoples including women, children and animals etc... ) that I would say are wrong and immoral.

Sure you would.  But your subjective assessment does not mean that it is actually wrong or immoral.

Finally how does one know the Qur'an is the word of God or Jesus is the son of God and died on the cross for us?

I'm not claiming the Quran is the word of God.  For Jesus, there are several people who say they heard his claims, saw his death, saw him rise again and died maintaining that they had seen this.  You can read their stories and judge for yourself.  My point about morality is that given my own conscience and the place of love in my 'moral urges', such a story brings my experience to a complete whole and, if I accept it, I end up with no dissonance between what I believe about reality and what I observe about myself.

Forgive me for my use of the word 'subjective'. Let me try again. That God showed his love by sending his son to die for people is not an inescapable conclusion one must come to after examining the facts or scriptures or by any other set of actions or rational or logical research. In other words it is quite possible that sane, sincere and reasonable people may find such a belief to be unbelievable.

I didn't say it was.  My claim here was that a 'godless' solution leaves more problems than it solves.  I find the person who claims to rely only on rational and logical research but then says his conscience is an adequate guide to right and wrong is being inconsistent.  At a fundamental level, what you live by is neither rational or logical.  Perhaps you could tell me what rational or logical research has led to your belief in God.

Believing in nothing can always be justified is rational.  You just set your standards of evidence such that 'rational' excludes pretty much everything.  The problem is actually living that way.  If you can live as you believe, I think you've probably turned a wrong corner along the way.

Yet if such a belief is so essential to knowing what is right or wrong - then why has God left it seem so unbelievable to millions - or billions of people - like me?

You'd have to ask God.  But given what has been said so far on this thread, I can't see that the alternatives are particularly convincing either.
     Reply #50 - November 11, 2008, 11:14 PM

Just read thro' your post again (2/10 by the way)  and then tell  me truthfully where you haven't erred on the side of subjectivity. It'll be easier and shorter than vice versa.  What a manifestly awful post. Are you going down with kidney stones or something (I'm trying to be generous here).

Read it, sorry you don't like it.

Berbs does not deny her feelings towards real meaning. Where the Jim Hill did you get that from?

From this:

Quote from: Berbs
    It still feels that way to me too, just because the world makes more sense without god on a rational level doesn't mean that my emotional need to believe in something more has faded.

Life IS meaningless if there is no order to the random pattern that dictates life and how people live it, however the need for order to the randomness is only driven by an emotional need, rationality dictates that god does not exist and that life is random chaos no matter how much desire wishes for something more.

Objectivity is the only measure you need to suss out anything.

And this is supposed to be a more meaningful sentence?

You obviously haven't , by your own admission, met enough people of different stripes yet.

I said this where?

The christian claim to credibility is only the same as any other religion's and none of those have any objectivity.

The reason I have just given - of a God sending his son to die for us - is not present in all other religions and so how can its claim to credibility be just the same as other religions?

What you observe about yourself doesn't add up to anything. Right and wrong don't exist outside of yourself, it's all in your mind. It's always a subjective judgement.

So you say.  And yet my mind tends to separate my moral urges (for which I tend to look for reasons and which I tend to apply to other people) from other preferences (which I assume apply only to me and need no explanations).  I.e. my moral urges involve an appeal to an external reality.  I think everyone else's do as well.

Whether it's only one mind or the whole of the collective mind's distillation, it's still subjective without evidence, whatever it is.

Sure.

Oh, and love isn't the sole preserve of anyone except the whole of Humanity. You seem to have an almost crippled view of anyone outside of your chosen circle.

Where did I claim that love was the sole preserve of Christians?  My point was that if you want to classify certain behaviours as love and to have that classification apply universally, you need a reason and supporting evidence.

Cheers,
    sparky
     Reply #51 - November 11, 2008, 11:16 PM

I agree that it was a truly awful post but I don't have time to dissect it this morning. Damn there's a stack of ammunition there though. Cheesy

Be my guest.
     Reply #52 - November 11, 2008, 11:48 PM

Conscience is subjective, influenceable, changeable and unclear

I agree - but I don't have a problem with that since I see no difference to when I though I did have an objective criteria. Muslims tell me that without the Qur'an as my guide I will now descend into iniquity and vice etc... That is in fact nonsense.

I can't see how your claim for Christianity is any different from Muslim's claim.

Also you say the conscience is unclear etc... but the Bible doesn't seem to me to be very clear and it is also subject to different interpretations.
     Reply #53 - November 12, 2008, 08:39 AM

Conscience is subjective, influenceable, changeable and unclear

I agree - but I don't have a problem with that since I see no difference to when I though I did have an objective criteria. Muslims tell me that without the Qur'an as my guide I will now descend into iniquity and vice etc... That is in fact nonsense.

I can't see how your claim for Christianity is any different from Muslim's claim.

Also you say the conscience is unclear etc... but the Bible doesn't seem to me to be very clear and it is also subject to different interpretations.

I'm not at all worried about your behaviour nor is that the point of the thread.  The issue here is whether the world makes more sense without God - not whether you have an 'adequate' means of regulating your own behaviour.  If conscience is all that exists for a person to 'know' right and wrong, then there is no way they can claim to 'know' right and wrong.

The problems with the conscience aren't only its lack of clarity - it is also its subjectivity, changeability and the fact that it tends to respond to what your reason tells you about the world (or what you have been brought up to believe).

I really would be wary of assuming too much commonality between Islam and Christianity.  Their claims are not the same.

Cheers,
    sparky
     Reply #54 - November 12, 2008, 01:06 PM

I really would be wary of assuming too much commonality between Islam and Christianity.  Their claims are not the same.

Cheers,
    sparky

If you had two shit CD's, both very diff musically, but both shit - they have a lots in common, despite the differences in style.  Same thing.

Ha Ha.
     Reply #55 - November 12, 2008, 01:52 PM

I'm not at all worried about your behaviour nor is that the point of the thread.  The issue here is whether the world makes more sense without God - not whether you have an 'adequate' means of regulating your own behaviour.  If conscience is all that exists for a person to 'know' right and wrong, then there is no way they can claim to 'know' right and wrong.

The problems with the conscience aren't only its lack of clarity - it is also its subjectivity, changeability and the fact that it tends to respond to what your reason tells you about the world (or what you have been brought up to believe).

Cheers,
    sparky

Christianity and Islam are similar in their belief that they have an objective basis for deciding what is right and wrong.

In Islam it is "God's Word" - the Qur'an.

I'm still unclear what your basis is for deciding what is right and wrong? Saying; 'God' is your basis or source doesn't answer the question, Sparky.

Does God whisper it to you? Is it written in the Bible? Does the Holy Spirit guide you to the right course of action? Exactly how do you know - when faced with specific decisions - what is right and wrong?

Reply #56 - November 12, 2008, 04:18 PM

Subjective means existing only in a persons mind.  The claims of Christianity are external to my mind and can be examined by both you and I independently.  Therefore they are not subjective at all.

You may choose not to believe it because you find it to be 'ridiculous' but that's not actually an argument at all, it's a logical fallacy.  You finding something ridiculous has no bearing on whether it is actually true or not.  As a concept I may find the duckbilled platypus ridiculous but it still exists.

I've already said.  The core of it is 'love'.  Love is acting for the good of the beloved.  The good of all people is to be in relationship of love with their God.  Love is therefore acts that point people towards God and encourages them to choose a relationship with him.  The command of God is to love all people - even those who are your enemies and actively want to hurt you and even if this is at the cost of your own life.

Cheers,
    sparky

Whilst I agree that right and wrong can only be determined on an objective basis, I can't see any justification for you picking something as subjective as the christian god as this basis.  The existence of a christian god is not evident as an objective truth and can only be determined by subjective belief.

Love is also too ambiguous and to a point subjective criteria on which to base "right and wrong", it is not a value in itself but more a measurement of a value.  On what criteria is one loved and is one loathed, as unconditional love would seem to render right and wrong unecessary?

Regards,
    Gonzo

"The spread of evil is the symptom of a vacuum. Whenever evil wins, it is only by default: by the moral failure of those who evade the fact that there can be no compromise on basic principles" - Ayn Rand
     Reply #57 - November 12, 2008, 04:48 PM

Cheers,
    sparky

Christianity and Islam are similar in their belief that they have an objective basis for deciding what is right and wrong.

In Islam it is "God's Word" - the Qur'an.

I'm still unclear what your basis is for deciding what is right and wrong? Saying; 'God' is your basis or source doesn't answer the question, Sparky.

Does God whisper it to you? Is it written in the Bible? Does the Holy Spirit guide you to the right course of action? Exactly how do you know - when faced with specific decisions - what is right and wrong?

You said that 'muslims tell you that without the Quran you would descend into iniquity' and that Christianity is just the same.  It isn't.

I said it was the Christian God, so yes, the information about the Christian God is in the bible.  What's there is a pattern of love for mankind as shown in the life of Jesus that we are called to reflect in our behaviour towards others.  Right is loving others, wrong is not loving them.  It's not more complicated than that.

Cheers,
    sparky
     Reply #58 - November 12, 2008, 04:56 PM

Yes, your answer is eagerly awaited Sparky Afro

Ha Ha.
     Reply #59 - November 12, 2008, 04:57 PM

Quote from: Gonzo
    Whilst I agree that right and wrong can only be determined on an objective basis, I can't see any justification for you picking something as subjective as the christian god as this basis.  The existence of a christian god is not evident as an objective truth and can only be determined by subjective belief.

Hi Gonzo,

I don't agree.  The evidential claims of Christianity are available to both you and I and are external to both of us.  For me, part of that evidence is the 'moral urge' that seems to be present in all people.  That same urge seems to inevitably lead atheists into inconsistency.  For the objectivist, the inconsistency is in choosing an objective basis that has no evidential support, for the relativist it is in claiming that there are no absolute morals while behaving as if there are.  Another part of the evidence are the claims of people who say they saw Jesus live, die and rise again.  Another is the urge towards 'true' meaning that has been identified in this thread.

Quote from: Gonzo
    Love is also too ambiguous and to a point subjective criteria on which to base "right and wrong", it is not a value in itself but more a measurement of a value.  On what criteria is one loved and is one loathed, as unconditional love would seem to render right and wrong unecessary?

I didn't say love was the basis, I said that God was.  Love describes actions that move people towards a relationship with God.  A relationship with God is what is 'good' for people.  Such actions are 'right'.  Here, I don't mean 'feelings' of love but actual, enacted, costly love.

I don't understand what you mean by unconditional love rendering right and wrong unnecessary.

Cheers,
    sparky
  • Previous page 1 23 4 ... 7 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »