Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Why the world makes more sense if you take god out of the equation.

(Read 33837 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Why the world makes more sense if you take god out of the equation.
     Reply #180 - November 23, 2008, 10:16 PM

Sparky is a non-literalist Protestant IIRC, although he does like to believe the Exodus actually happened.

Anyway there is a further point here: the tree in the Garden of Eden was the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil.

What this means is that before eating from the tree Adam and Eve had no way of discerning good from evil. They were too innocent. It's like making a child fully accountable in court as if they were an adult. It isn't in any way just.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #181 - November 23, 2008, 10:20 PM

God made us (mankind) without sin but with the freedom to choose and Adam chose to sin.  Hence the mixture of good and bad - made in the image of God but the image is scarred because of sin.  Experiencing broken relationships with God, each other, the world around us and even ourselves.  And hence also the need for a saviour also... to restore those relationships to the love that there were supposed to be.

So God made us good, but because Adam sinned - we all become a mixture of good and bad.

Why couldn't God make it so that every baby born is "Good" just like he intended - and only what he does in his life-time changes that?

Why is it that we are all mixed with bad because of what Adam did?

That's unjust and makes no sense.

Reply #182 - November 23, 2008, 10:25 PM

The credibility of the bible is established by the person of Jesus Christ.

What do you mean - I don't understand?

He quoted from the Old Testament as if it was inspired by God.  He also said that the Holy Spirit would bring to the disciples mind all that he had taught them and that they had seen.  If he is who he says he is, then we can trust his opinion on the Old and New Testaments and they are credible.

So if Jesus is the son of God then what he said is true.

And that's how you 'know' it's true.

Do you mean, how do I know Jesus is the son of God?  Or are you asking how I know the son of God would speak the truth?

I'm trying to make sense of how you 'know' Christianity is true.

You said: "If he is who he says he is, then we can trust his opinion on the Old and New Testaments and they are credible."

In other words: If Jesus is the son of God then what he said is true... and that's how you 'know' it's true.

I don't see much reason for certainty there.
     Reply #183 - November 24, 2008, 07:04 AM

Sparky is a non-literalist Protestant IIRC, although he does like to believe the Exodus actually happened.

Anyway there is a further point here: the tree in the Garden of Eden was the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil.

What this means is that before eating from the tree Adam and Eve had no way of discerning good from evil. They were too innocent. It's like making a child fully accountable in court as if they were an adult. It isn't in any way just.

I interpet 'Original Sin' is an attempt at explaining agency. They descended from their primitive utopia once they had acquired it [implies politics?]... which may not be on point, I just felt like saying that.

"...every imperfection in man is a bond with heaven..." - Karl Marx
     Reply #184 - November 24, 2008, 10:10 AM

Because 

At he risk of being facetious Cheetah, I was going to ask the same question you asked previously.

Why?  Roll Eyes

Since Sparky's answer to your question about the apple presupposes that no matter who, or where you are, you fall under the dominion of the Christian "God". And every person on earth recognizes that as a fact.

Was this a question for me?  If so, I didn't understand it.

Sorry,   

Why?   If someone doesn't believe your exact Christian definition of God, should they feel obligated to believe the following statement is Truth.

"...God, as our creator, gets to set the terms for what is right and what is wrong for people."

They shouldn't.
     Reply #185 - November 24, 2008, 10:28 AM

Quote from: Cheetah
    But slave owners didn't steal them and take away their freedom after the first generation.  They inherited already enslaved people, just as the second generation of slaves inherited their slavery.  Given that inheritance, the owners had no culpability in the fact that they had the power of life or death over their "possessions",  while the slaves, sadly, had never possessed any freedom to have taken away from them.

By accident of birth, one man ends up with the power of life or death over another man.  Does that make the first man's edicts moral?  Should the man born a slave, through no fault or choice of his own, measure his morality by his obedience to his master?

It would be an objective measure, but would it be the right measure to use?

Like I said, slave owners are not the creators of slaves and therefore have no right to set the purpose of the slaves.  Inheriting slaves doesn't change this anymore than if they had enslaved them themselves.  And I completely disagree that inheritance meant that they did not have culpability.  Continuing failure to recognise the innate freedom of their slaves very much made them culpable for the situation they were in.

Freedom of choice involves more than a lack of force, Sparky.  One of the most important elements of freedom of choice is full  and accurate information.  God did not give that to Adam.  He gave him an order, he never told him why his order made any sense, he never told him about the consequences of disobeying it.  He never even warned him about the snake!!

He set a trap, and when Adam fell into it, he misnamed Adam's foolish, ignorant mistake as "free will".  Nice excuse for a supposedly omnipotent God to give.

What are you talking about.  'If you eat it, you will surely die'.  He gave him full information of the law and its consequences and freedom to choose.

Adam didn't know the full consequences of his actions, so it wasn't a free choice.  Also, Adam had a major mitigating factor - he only ate the apple to please his wife.  The woman created to be his mate, and who God gave him every reason to trust and love.   

Given all that, its amazing that a just God would have punished Adam at all.  Still more amazing that Adam's progeny would be suffering the consequences of Adam's hogtied "choice" generations later, when even you admit that we are not responsible for any sins other than our own.

There was a way back right from the beginning, though, I agree with you on that point.  The way back would be to not allow the snake into the Garden of Eden.

With all this spin and excuses, you sound rather like the snake.  God gave Adam a command and told him what the consequences would be.  Adam broke the command and experienced the consequences.  It's all pretty plain.

Btw, do you believe that the Book of Genesis is literally true, or do you take it as an allegory?  I only ask because I rather had the impression that you were Catholic, and a literal reading is unusual from that denomination.

That's a whole other discussion and I'm not Catholic.
     Reply #186 - November 24, 2008, 10:36 AM

God made us (mankind) without sin but with the freedom to choose and Adam chose to sin.  Hence the mixture of good and bad - made in the image of God but the image is scarred because of sin.  Experiencing broken relationships with God, each other, the world around us and even ourselves.  And hence also the need for a saviour also... to restore those relationships to the love that there were supposed to be.

So God made us good, but because Adam sinned - we all become a mixture of good and bad.

Why couldn't God make it so that every baby born is "Good" just like he intended - and only what he does in his life-time changes that?

So take it up with God.  What 'makes sense' is that I experience myself as being a mixture of good and bad and Christianity provides a reason why that might be the case.  I suppose there might be a hypothetical world where that need not have been the case but it's not this world.  Apparently there was some kind of permenance to the nature he gave Adam that gets passed down.  I suppose as creator, it would have been within his rights to wipe us all out and start again.  But instead he pays the price for us to get back to him.  That's what seems unjust to me...  But then they are his rules, not mine.
     Reply #187 - November 24, 2008, 11:05 AM

The credibility of the bible is established by the person of Jesus Christ.

What do you mean - I don't understand?

He quoted from the Old Testament as if it was inspired by God.  He also said that the Holy Spirit would bring to the disciples mind all that he had taught them and that they had seen.  If he is who he says he is, then we can trust his opinion on the Old and New Testaments and they are credible.

So if Jesus is the son of God then what he said is true.

And that's how you 'know' it's true.

Do you mean, how do I know Jesus is the son of God?  Or are you asking how I know the son of God would speak the truth?

I'm trying to make sense of how you 'know' Christianity is true.

You said: "If he is who he says he is, then we can trust his opinion on the Old and New Testaments and they are credible."

In other words: If Jesus is the son of God then what he said is true... and that's how you 'know' it's true.

I don't see much reason for certainty there.

Depends what you mean by certainty.  As Os has said before, we have lives to live.  Those lives seem to involve quite a few moral judgements - both for our own choices and to evaluate those of others.  My experience of life suggests that an objective morality should exist (we've talked about this).  The only source I can find for an objective morality for people is God (I think you agree with this also).  My experience of life also suggests that God should, in addition to being the source of morality, be the creator of people, be personal, be powerful, have a loving character (as this is the key to what my conscience tells me about morality) and be interested in people.  As far as I can see, the Christian God as presented in the bible is the best fit for these characteristics and as a result I believe Christianity to be a true description of reality.

In addition to this, certain people witnessed a miraculous event 2000 years ago and wrote down what they saw - or passed their recollections to others who wrote them down.  They seem to have been so convinced that what they saw really happened that they died maintaining that it really had.  They were also sufficiently convincing to others that within 30 years of that event, many groups of people who also believed existed in multiple locations.  That this event should happen also fits with the character of God that I 'expect' given what I see in and around me.

Now, it's possible that this is all false - that there is no objective morality or that it doesn't point towards God or that there was no miraculous event.  Some say that it is better to doubt or to keep an open mind.  But when I talk to my kids about right and wrong, I don't say 'follow your heart' or 'just listen to your conscience'.  I say that certain things really are right and really are wrong - no matter what you feel about them.  And most of the parents I know do the same.  But if I should doubt, this is really lying.  If I haven't really found an objective source of right and wrong, I should say - 'well dear, we don't yet know whether right and wrong really exist so just do your best until we can work it out'.

So the question for me is, 'am I certain enough to use the Christian way of looking at the world and the morality it describes as the basis for my everyday decisions?'.  'Am I certain enough to actually seek a relationship with this God who, as far as I can evaluate the evidence, really does exist?'

Because I have yet to find a more convincing explanation, I have to say 'yes'.
     Reply #188 - November 24, 2008, 12:47 PM

In addition to this, certain people witnessed a miraculous event 2000 years ago and wrote down what they saw - or passed their recollections to others who wrote them down.  They seem to have been so convinced that what they saw really happened that they died maintaining that it really had.  They were also sufficiently convincing to others that within 30 years of that event, many groups of people who also believed existed in multiple locations.

Who are these certain people? You do not know. We do not even know who wrote the gospels. They are just assigned arbitrary names, ?according? to so and so. What are the dates on the earliest fragments of these texts? Not until 2 hundred years after events. No historian, Roman or Jewish historian of around the time Jesus supposedly existed wrote a single word about him. Other than the forgery to the work of Josephus made by the Bishop Eusebius, inserting 2 paragraphs in the work The Antiquities of the Jews.

There are no eye witness accounts of what happened 2,000 years ago. The gospels are based solely on hearsay and legends passed down.

That this event should happen also fits with the character of God that I 'expect' given what I see in and around me.

A god appearing in a remote desert with no one taking him seriously, except 12 men some still doubting, claiming there was a flood, Jonah lived in a fish, that a mustard seem was the smallest of seeds, stating how slaves were to be punished, claiming if you believed in him snake bites or poison will not affect you, or you could move mountains, is hardly someone who fits the character of a God as I would expect.

What about all the people in the America?s, Africa, Asia, Australasia? Does this god not feel it necessary to also make an equal opportunities appearance to all mankind?

If I haven't really found an objective source of right and wrong, I should say - 'well dear, we don't yet know whether right and wrong really exist so just do your best until we can work it out'.

And you think the bible is an objective source of right and wrong.

So slavery is right? Because it is sanctioned in the bible.
    Stoning to death a non-virgin girl on her wedding night is right?
    Stoning to death your child that accepts another religion, is right?
    Stoning to death your disobedient child is right?
    Destroying the altars of non-believers is right?
    Selling your daughter who has been raped to the rapist for 50 shekels, is right?
    Killing witches is right?
    Polygamy is fine, because all the main men of the bible had many wives?

These are hardly what I call an objective source of right and wrong. Don?t forget Jesus never refuted any of these laws. On the contrary in Matthew 5:17 he says all the laws are to followed to the letter until the end of time.

And of course we know Jesus predicted the end of time within the lifetimes of the people he was talking to. But that is a whole other subject.

Knowing Islam is the only true religion we do not allow propagation of any other religion. How can we allow building of churches and temples when their religion is wrong? Thus we will not allow such wrong things in our countries. - Zakir Naik
     Reply #189 - November 24, 2008, 01:47 PM

So take it up with God.  What 'makes sense' is that I experience myself as being a mixture of good and bad and Christianity provides a reason why that might be the case.  I suppose there might be a hypothetical world where that need not have been the case but it's not this world.  Apparently there was some kind of permenance to the nature he gave Adam that gets passed down.  I suppose as creator, it would have been within his rights to wipe us all out and start again.  But instead he pays the price for us to get back to him.  That's what seems unjust to me...  But then they are his rules, not mine.

So you consider best reason that man is a mixture of good and bad is because...

When God made the first man he told him not to eat the apple. But a sneaky nasty monster encouraged him to eat it and so all this man's children became mixed with bad until the end of time.

UNLESS they accept Jesus - (God's son, but he's not exactly his son as we would understand it but actually part of the 'Godhead' one in three or three in one or some other incomprehensible thing we should just accept for no apparent reason) who God sent because he so LOVED mankind. (and just couldn't think of any other way of expressing it.)

So Jesus paid the ULTIMATE price (of being temporarily nailed to a cross before dad whisked him home) to save us all, (except those who consider this story utterly absurd and reject it.  And who God - in his LOVE - will burn in Hell (or whatever spin you take on Hell) and suffer for all eternity - but wait - it's our fault of course...)

Because you have no better explanation for why humans are a mixture of good and bad - you are willing to accept this weird, unjust, and bloodthirsty, story that has no evidence to back it up?

I certainly cannot say why man's nature is the way it is - but that would never ever compel me to believe such a ridiculous myth.
     Reply #190 - November 24, 2008, 01:57 PM

So take it up with God.

I have - but he never answers.
     Reply #191 - November 24, 2008, 02:04 PM

Those lives seem to involve quite a few moral judgements - both for our own choices and to evaluate those of others.  My experience of life suggests that an objective morality should exist (we've talked about this).  The only source I can find for an objective morality for people is God (I think you agree with this also).  My experience of life also suggests that God should, in addition to being the source of morality, be the creator of people, be personal, be powerful, have a loving character (as this is the key to what my conscience tells me about morality) and be interested in people.

I have no real problem with what you said here.

As far as I can see, the Christian God as presented in the bible is the best fit for these characteristics and as a result I believe Christianity to be a true description of reality.

This is where you totally and utterly lose me.

I can't see how Christianity (or Islam) are in anyway compatible with a truly loving, merciful, just and wise creator.

Reply #192 - November 24, 2008, 02:05 PM

So take it up with God.

Huh  Huh?

You talking to yourself hass? Cheesy

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #193 - November 24, 2008, 02:13 PM

When God made the first man he told him not to eat the apple. But a sneaky nasty monster encouraged him to eat it and so all this man's children became mixed with bad until the end of time.

UNLESS they accept Jesus - (God's son, but he's not exactly his son as we would understand it but actually part of the 'Godhead' one in three or three in one or some other incomprehensible thing we should just accept for no apparent reason) who God sent because he so LOVED mankind. (and just couldn't think of any other way of expressing it.)

So Jesus paid the ULTIMATE price (of being temporarily nailed to a cross before dad whisked him home) to save us all, (except those who consider this story utterly absurd and reject it.  And who God - in his LOVE - will burn in Hell (or whatever spin you take on Hell) and suffer for all eternity - but wait - it's our fault of course...)

And you have the nerve to tell Berbs, "What an absurd world you live in."

Another example of that "Love' that is at the core of your faith no-doubt.
     Reply #194 - November 24, 2008, 02:16 PM

So take it up with God.

Huh  Huh?

You talking to yourself hass? Cheesy

lol... yup. grin12

Reply #195 - November 24, 2008, 03:39 PM

"At 8:47 I do a grenade jump off a ladder."
     Reply #196 - November 24, 2008, 03:47 PM

Makes perfect sense, Pazuzu.  Cheesy
     Reply #197 - November 25, 2008, 03:18 PM

Quote from: Hassan

Something like that.  But I see your objections haven't moved on from arguing from ridicule.  Funnily enough, this is still a logical fallacy but like I said, you asked why I believed, the way you make decisions is up to you.

Quote from: Hassan
    And you have the nerve to tell Berbs, "What an absurd world you live in."

Another example of that "Love' that is at the core of your faith no-doubt.

Berb's world (not her claims) is absurd because there is a disconnect between what she believes about reality and how she experiences reality.  Your own experience also agrees for this is part of the reason you also believe in God.

In fact, the definition of the noun 'absurd' is very much what Berb's has described:

The condition or state in which humans exist in a meaningless, irrational universe wherein people's lives have no purpose or meaning.

http://www.answers.com/topic/absurd

This isn't meant to be an insult - I don't mean that Berbs herself is somehow foolish for believing this way.  As far as I can see from the thread she is in good company although most of the other atheists are further along than she is in admitting the fundamental subjectivity that at the heart of any human expressions of morality, purpose or meaning.  The question is how much this creates a problem for them or her.

I guess from your summary, that we are about done here.  Thanks for the discussion - I know you aren't so keen on on-line debates so I appreciate that you have stuck with it.

All the best!

sparky
     Reply #198 - November 25, 2008, 04:17 PM

Hassan and Sparky,
    I enjoyed reading it  Smiley
     Reply #199 - November 25, 2008, 07:46 PM

Till next time, Sparky  Afro
  • Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7« Previous thread | Next thread »