Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Shaneequa vs Cheetah: nice clean comments thread.

(Read 30298 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Shaneequa vs Cheetah: nice clean comments thread.
     Reply #30 - September 30, 2008, 05:01 AM

That's a very weak defense, Shaneequa.  If someone who believes in the Bible as divinely inspired can give three or four different, equally plausible, explanations for that one contradiction it somewhat suggests that the Bible is just another book that we can take multiple interpretations of.  Just like Moby Dick, Macbeth, or the Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

How plausible are Moby Dick, Macbeth, or the Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster?

Moby Dick describes an albino whale (observed in nature several times) with a good memory (intelligent critters, whales) who gets pissed when people chuck spears at him (perfectly sensible IMHO). I'd say that generally Moby Dick is quite plausible.

Apart from the witches Macbeth is basically a story of dynastic intrigue and murder. Commonplace stuff in history.

I'm uncertain about the existence of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, but it's certainly no less plausible than a literal Genesis. grin12

You want me to take comfort in the idea that God deliberately stood back and allowed people to be raped, and then God stepped in, after allowing all these rapes,  and then  tore them to pieces as punishment?  What kind of a God is that?

I seriously don't know how to answer that.

I'll answer it for you. Cthulu.

First, He is the author of life. We cannot say that about any human being...so if
    He were to choose to zap us all today, we could have no complaint. It is by His mercy that He holds back His terrible and righteous wrath. Our every breath is a sign of his mercy, as we are not guaranteed our next breath.

This is good. So he's a murdering psycho who is desperately trying to be nice then. But hang on, if his wrath is righteous why the fuck is he holding it back? Surely holding back righteous wrath would be an unrighteous act. Can't have god being unrighteous can we?

And if you were called on to do those things in the name of your religion?  Would you do them?

Nope. For one thing, the bible is closed. Everything we need to know is in the bible, and that means we will not receive new revelations.

Whoosh!

That was the sound of a low-flying point going over Shan's head. Also if everything we need to know is in the bible what are other books for? Just wondering.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #31 - September 30, 2008, 06:50 AM

Nothing more to add to that Os, except, seeing as Goldie thinks S is doing well, never ask him/her for racing tips. Afro

Shaneequa may be as nice as pie, but the overriding impression you get, especially up against the sharp as a pin Cheetah, is that she lacks brain cells, and that's being kind. Maybe it has nothing to do with rehab brainwashing at all, no one forced her to find that exruciatingly unfunny TV show, funny.

Anyone know the story of how yet another Christian loony ended up on CEMB?

Ha Ha.
     Reply #32 - September 30, 2008, 08:13 AM

I don't get the impression that she lacks brain cells. I get the impression she lacks confidence. I think her craving for certainty, which is the basis of her biblical literalism, stems from that.

Reply #33 - September 30, 2008, 08:25 AM

I don't get the impression that she lacks brain cells. I get the impression she lacks confidence. I think her craving for certainty, which is the basis of her biblical literalism, stems from that.

It could be the love of atrocious, cheesy comedy that led me to that assumption.

Ha Ha.
     Reply #34 - September 30, 2008, 08:32 AM

Yes, but don't forget she's from the US. It's a national affliction.

Reply #35 - September 30, 2008, 08:35 AM

That true. Wink

Ha Ha.
     Reply #36 - October 01, 2008, 12:49 AM

Shaneequa is making a strong come back.  She has done well in her last post in her defense of her scripture. Smiley

Say what? Are we reading the same thread? Huh?

Tell me, precisely which points of Shan's do you think constitute a strong comeback?

She made a confident comeback.  It doesn't mean that any of her individual points were strong.  She is making a strong case though, and she is making it very well.  I salute her.

Cheetah?  I don't like her, and I don't like her last post.  She has challenged head on what I would have asked her to challenge first, and she has done it formidably, and quite frighteningly. 

I do not want ever to debate her on anything.  She is very polite, but she is a deceptively nice debator.  In fairness, she is up against a fairly shaky, unconfident opponent.

If she were up against me it would be a different story, and it would be one that would expose Cheetah's inherent nastiness. 

But as I said, I don't want to debate her on anything.  She is deceptive, and frightening.  I prefer people who are straight up.
     Reply #37 - October 01, 2008, 02:09 AM

Goldie, she is frightening because you prefer (and are used to) adults around you making idiots of themselves and swearing at their opponent. You find those idiots easy to debate against because you can passively sit back and let them dig their holes.

You prefer to debate with goons because goons are easy to bury. And you are right, goons *are* easy to bury. sorry that Cheetah is not the goon you wish her to be.

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #38 - October 01, 2008, 07:08 AM

If she were up against me it would be a different story, and it would be one that would expose Cheetah's inherent nastiness. 

You're scared of her.  There is no inherent nastiness, it may seem that way, but only because she's arguing against a religious nutter, and it can look a bit cruel. Like taking the piss out of the mentally ill.

Based on what you say, you would lose, even to a dimwit like <snip> - whatever your belief is.

Ha Ha.
     Reply #39 - October 01, 2008, 09:31 AM

Shaneequa is making a strong come back.  She has done well in her last post in her defense of her scripture. Smiley

Say what? Are we reading the same thread? Huh?

Tell me, precisely which points of Shan's do you think constitute a strong comeback?

She made a confident comeback.  It doesn't mean that any of her individual points were strong.  She is making a strong case though, and she is making it very well.  I salute her.

Goldie, if her individual points aren't strong then how, pray tell, is she making a strong comeback? If her individual points are either weak or at best mediocre (which is something I would agree with were you to suggest it) then it seems to me that her comeback, such as it is, must perforce also be either weak or at best mediocre.

Cheetah?  I don't like her, and I don't like her last post.  She has challenged head on what I would have asked her to challenge first, and she has done it formidably, and quite frighteningly.

She is a formidable opponent if you wish to base your case against her on vacillation and baseless assertions. If you don't like her because of that then IMO this says more about you than it says about Cheetah. Are people who put you on the spot and make you think really all that terrifying?

But as I said, I don't want to debate her on anything.  She is deceptive, and frightening.  I prefer people who are straight up.

Cheetah is very fond of Shan. We all are (or at least most of us are). She's not being at all nasty but she is making her points well. You seem unable to distinguish between this and pure nastiness. What you seem to be saying is that you'd only feel comfortable debating your faith if your opponent promised to debate poorly.

Reply #40 - October 01, 2008, 05:21 PM

Quote from: Osmanthus
    Goldie, if her individual points aren't strong then how, pray tell, is she making a strong comeback? If her individual points are either weak or at best mediocre (which is something I would agree with were you to suggest it) then it seems to me that her comeback, such as it is, must perforce also be either weak or at best mediocre.

Yes, that's true.  Her points were mediocre but she made them confidently.  She would make a better preacher than a debater, I think.  She would need to be preaching to the converted.

And I take back what I said about Cheetah being nasty.  I got the wrong idea, because her last post just took Shaneequa's world view to pieces, and then cheerfully wished her a Happy Birthday.  Looking at their exchange in the Lounge though, it seems the birthday wishes were genuine.  If the two girls get on then it doesn't look nasty.

Quote from: Jack Torrance
    You're scared of her.

Yes.

Reply #41 - October 01, 2008, 08:32 PM

Grievously true.

Mohammed ordered Kinana b. al Rabi' to be gruesomely tortured and then decapitated.  The 'prophet' then 'married' Kinana's wife, Safiyya.  He had her husband, her father and her people killed.  

Sirat Rasul Allah by Ibn Ishaq 

Mohammed was a rapist and a murderer.
     Reply #42 - October 01, 2008, 09:06 PM

I resemble that!  Cat fight

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I remain.
     Reply #43 - October 01, 2008, 09:29 PM

I resemble that!  Cat fight

Unfortunately, I once resembled that too.   001_tongue

Mohammed ordered Kinana b. al Rabi' to be gruesomely tortured and then decapitated.  The 'prophet' then 'married' Kinana's wife, Safiyya.  He had her husband, her father and her people killed.  

Reply #44 - October 01, 2008, 10:28 PM

grin12 *fires up the canned laughter*  parrot

Reply #45 - October 02, 2008, 12:06 AM

grin12 *fires up the canned laughter*  parrot

Agreed.  That was a dorky response I gave Biax.   bunny 

Cheetah gave a great and concise breakdown of biblical inconsistencies, faults with the flood, and the reality of evolution vs creationism.   Nice job.

Reply #46 - October 02, 2008, 09:58 PM

I've just been checking out TalkRats and the flogging their primary resident YEC has been getting lately.
    This post is an absolute gem:

Quote from: Oolon Colluphid
    Seems to me that we're talking about the quantum particle known as a Hawkins creton. From the Uncertainty Principle, we know that we can measure its velocity away from reality, or its position relative to it, but never both at the same time. The problem is that we are always aware of its velocity away from reality (or at least that it will always be moving in that direction, no matter how we try to manipulate it experimentally), and so cannot even in principle ever pin it down to a particular position.

If we could, the Hawkins creton's wave function would collapse, probably resulting in a black hole and his world would end.

Reply #47 - October 09, 2008, 01:27 PM

Hmmmm, our valiant crusader seems to have left the battlefield. Pity. Things were getting interesting.

Reply #48 - October 09, 2008, 02:51 PM

Hmmmm, our valiant crusader seems to have left the battlefield. Pity. Things were getting interesting.

Yes, surprising, and she was wiining too Cheesy

Ha Ha.
     Reply #49 - October 13, 2008, 09:28 PM

Cognitive dissonance will do that to ya. I don't envy poor old Shan.

Reply #50 - October 14, 2008, 12:01 AM

Is the debate over?  That's a bit disappointing, it was hotting up with Cheetah's last post. She finally challenged the whole reality of the flood instead of just picking faults with Bible stories of it.

Reply #51 - October 14, 2008, 07:33 AM

Is the debate over?  That's a bit disappointing, it was hotting up with Cheetah's last post. She finally challenged the whole reality of the flood instead of just picking faults with Bible stories of it.

That's probably one of the reasons Shan has run away, he world has collapsed. She's sold her scriptures and bibles and is using the money to purchase illegal drugs, that's the trouble with these rock and a hard place types.

Ha Ha.
     Reply #52 - October 14, 2008, 07:39 AM

Well I hope not. I'd prefer it if the poor girl was merrily singing Kumbayah around the camp fire (as long as I'm not within earshot).

Reply #53 - October 14, 2008, 07:44 AM

Well I hope not. I'd prefer it if the poor girl was merrily singing Kumbayah around the camp fire (as long as I'm not within earshot).

I'd rather she was out mugging old folk, the 'war' on drugs is far more fun than the war on religion.

Ha Ha.
     Reply #54 - October 14, 2008, 07:53 AM

Bit rough on the old folk though.  Tongue

Reply #55 - October 14, 2008, 08:14 AM

Bit rough on the old folk though.  Tongue

Ah, they haven't got long anyway Wink

Ha Ha.
     Reply #56 - October 16, 2008, 08:09 AM

Quote from: Shaneeqa
    It is the word of God, and I know it will work on you as long as the Holy Spirit wills it to work on you.

Now the hard part:

Would you consider yourself to be a good person?

How can it be the word of God when it contains heaps of stuff which is blatantly false?

Now for the hard part:

Is Shan ever going to face this uncomfortable fact, or will she continue to blither about the BC/AD calendar?

Reply #57 - October 16, 2008, 04:38 PM

Quote from: Shaneeqa
    It is the word of God, and I know it will work on you as long as the Holy Spirit wills it to work on you.

Now the hard part:

Would you consider yourself to be a good person?

How can it be the word of God when it contains heaps of stuff which is blatantly false?

Now for the hard part:

Is Shan ever going to face this uncomfortable fact, or will she continue to blither about the BC/AD calendar?

Let's just say the speaking tour has been cancelled Smiley

Ha Ha.
     Reply #58 - October 16, 2008, 05:16 PM

Given that she clearly came with completely different expectation that Cheetah, I'm surprised Shan stayed as long as she did.  I'm not sure you get to say 'convert me' and then insist on how a person might attempt to do that. 

All I see is the usual atheistic scatter-gun approach and then alot of rhetorical crowing.  Glad it makes you all feel better about yourselves...
     Reply #59 - October 16, 2008, 05:24 PM

Given that she clearly came with completely different expectation that Cheetah, I'm surprised Shan stayed as long as she did.  I'm not sure you get to say 'convert me' and then insist on how a person might attempt to do that. 

All I see is the usual atheistic scatter-gun approach and then alot of rhetorical crowing.  Glad it makes you all feel better about yourselves...

Atheist scattergun doesn't come in to it. She talks of twaddle, vast amounts of it. Not all of us are atheist, btw. Some of us ARE religious fruitcakes though. Smiley

Ha Ha.
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »