Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 02:45 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: What is the word of God?

(Read 3046 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • What is the word of God?
     OP - May 03, 2020, 12:24 PM

Came across something thought provoking by Wycliffe :-)

“In describing the truth of Holy Scripture, John Wycliffe argues that God’s text is contained only in a sort of shorthand form in books, language and other human artefacts “ which are memorial clues and traces of pre-existing truth” because of this the actual words are five times removed from Truth itself, and must therefore be continually interpreted and adapted to what he calls the liber vitae, the living book or book of life.” From Mary Carruthers the Book of Memory

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
     Reply #1 - May 03, 2020, 12:58 PM

...........that God’s text ..................y

well.. I don't care about god .. god words.. god fuck ups ...   Cheesy Cheesy  and   and   god can wait for my response but... first I must greet moi.,    .

Oh my goodness gracious .. Helloooooooooo  moi.. one of the founding /earliest members of CEMB den..  long time no see.. more than two years.,

So glad to see you .. Hope everything is good at your end and your near and dear are healthy if not happy....

with best wishes
    yeezevee

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #2 - May 03, 2020, 07:07 PM

Hi moi, welcome back.
     Reply #3 - May 03, 2020, 08:40 PM

:-) I didn’t realise I hadn’t been here for two years - who knows the name of Dan Dare’s spacecraft?

And why isn’t what Wycliffe said, which had been said earlier by Augustine and Greeks before him more widely repeated. Kind of makes reification of words difficult!

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

Reply #4 - May 04, 2020, 06:23 PM

:-) I didn’t realise I hadn’t been here for two years - who knows the name of Dan Dare’s spacecraft?

Musk when he was kid (HE IS STILL A KID)..Lol...,   must have been influenced by that Dan Dare guy dear moi., So you should ask Elon about that., I am sure he will know that 

And why isn’t what Wycliffe said, which had been said earlier by Augustine and Greeks before him more widely repeated. Kind of makes reification of words difficult!

well  Wycliffe wrote something some 700 years ago and Augustine  said something some 1700 years ago., they are the product of their times . Clearly they had more religious freedom to think and question existing religious thoughts of their time ., So we need not  worry about what happened during their times .. Except learn from them....

As far as your question of What is the word of God?   is  concerned .,

Well.,  when we  don't know what God is? .....what God was?... ....  Who God is?   .... Who God was? ......   Where God was?  .. Where God is?? .......   

Then then ...  why worry about Words of God ? or word of God?.. there is no point of talking about that dear moi . I could as well believe  every word and every book and every sound  is god word....  including ass farts..... 

..this chit-chat is good one on god...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn_i3RxGGTk

please continue
    yeezevee

Reply #5 - May 04, 2020, 10:50 PM

Tempus Fugit! :-)

But my point is how did Islam and xianity ever make the claim that their books are the word of God when everyone has always accepted that words are extremely slippery?

A.A. Milne,

Reply #6 - May 05, 2020, 05:24 PM

Tempus Fugit! :-)

But my point is how did Islam and xianity ever make the claim that their books are the word of God when everyone has always accepted that words are extremely slippery?

dear moi., Islam and xianity are faiths like any other faiths.,  FAITHS DO NOT HAVE MOUTH TO SPEAK.,  As far as their books claiming  that they are word of God is concerned .. you have to prove that ..

Question is where does it say.. what verse/verses of these faith books ((Bible or in Quran )) say that they are word of God??  Before we go further on arguing this subject., you have to put  those verses on the table.., Without having those verses in hand  we will be only making sounds  and noise on this subject

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »