Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Today at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Today at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: India CAA protests

(Read 5200 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • India CAA protests
     OP - December 17, 2019, 08:25 PM

Protests held in India against ‘anti-Muslim’ citizenship laws

In India, there have been violent clashes and further protests against a controversial new law which will ease citizenship for people from persecuted religious groups – but only if they aren’t Muslim.

Critics say it’s just the latest effort to marginalize India’s Muslim community by the Hindu nationalist government.

Although the UN has called the law ‘discriminatory’, India’s Prime Minister has claimed ‘no Indian has anything to worry about’.

Some of the images of violence in this report you may find disturbing.

Watch the Channel 4 news report: https://www.channel4.com/news/protests-held-in-india-against-anti-muslim-citizenship-laws
  • India CAB protests
     Reply #1 - December 17, 2019, 08:56 PM

https://mobile.twitter.com/PriyamvadaGopal/status/1206866475266367490
    Is India following the example of Myanmar, which is now battling genocide accusations at the International Court of Justice over the crackdown on the country’s Rohingya Muslim minority?

This month, India’s parliament approved new citizenship rules that redefine the nation — a pluralistic secular democracy with a sizeable Muslim minority — as a natural homeland for Hindus and adherents of other “Indic” faiths, from which Islam is pointedly excluded.

Hindus, Sikhs, Jains, Buddhists, Parsees and Christians that came to India from nearby Muslim-majority states — Pakistan, Bangladesh and Afghanistan — prior to December 2014 will now be offered a fast track to citizenship, the first time India has incorporated religious criteria into its naturalisation or refugee policies.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government says the rules are an innocuous, humane effort to end the legal limbo of religious minorities that have looked to India for refuge from Muslim persecution, the unfinished business of the traumatic 1947 partition of the Indian subcontinent.

“It’s their natural home,” says MP Swapan Dasgupta, who supported the bill. “These people look at India as ‘mother India’.”

But critics see the bill as breaking with Mahatma Gandhi’s inclusive vision of India as a home for people of all faiths, and signalling to India’s 200m Muslims that they do not fully belong.

“The danger is you essentially create a two-tier structure of citizenship with a privileged community and a marginalised community that feels they are members of a permanent underclass,” says Milan Vaishnav, of the Carnegie Endowment for International peace.

It sounds familiar: Back in 1982, Myanmar adopted a citizenship law recognising eight ethnic groups as “national races”, whose members were entitled to citizenship. But Rohingya — a mostly-Muslim population reviled by Burmese as illegal migrants from Bangladesh — were excluded. They instead needed “conclusive evidence” that their ancestors had lived in Burma prior to its 1948 independence — impossible for most to provide.

Rohingya remained in Myanmar despite tight restrictions on their movement, education, employment and marriage. Decades of persecution culminated in the mass expulsion of 700,000 Rohingya into neighbouring Bangladesh in 2017.

The context for the Indian bill has also raised alarms. The government — which claims India is being swamped by illegal Muslim migrants from Bangladesh — is gearing up for a massive national exercise to assess which of India’s 1.3bn residents is eligible for citizenship.

Echoing demands once made on Rohingya, Indians are expected to have to prove their ancestors were resident in India in the first years after independence — or face the prospect of being declared illegal migrants, liable to detention and deportation.

Yet Hindus and other groups now deemed refugees by the new rules will be protected. The spectre of statelessness falls therefore mainly on Muslims.

“For the first time in its history, India is going to make a distinction between citizens and non-citizens,” says Yale professor Jason Stanley, author of the book How Fascism Works. “If you are non-Muslim, there is a now rapid path to citizenship. But millions of Muslim residents of India — whose families have lived there forever — are going to be deemed illegal immigrants.”

What fate awaits those whose citizenship cannot be verified is unclear. Amit Shah, the home minister, has repeatedly vowed to deport those he calls “infiltrators” and “termites”. But there is little likelihood of any other country accepting them, and India is now building detention centres to hold those stateless foreigners.

Yet Meenakshi Ganguly, south Asia director of Human Rights Watch, questions whether India can even afford to detain huge numbers who are likely to fail to meet the citizenship criteria.

“Are you going to take them out from sustainable livelihood and have the state feed them? Are there going to be slave camps,” she asked. “It’s very hard to understand what the plan is. But millions and millions of Muslims are feeling extremely insecure.”

• India CAB protests
     Reply #2 - December 19, 2019, 11:55 AM

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/dec/19/india-citizenship-law-protesters-across-country-defy-ban
    Protesters across India have defied bans on public assembly and two mobile networks have cut services across parts of Delhi, as anger continues to grow over a controversial citizenship law that is seen as discriminatory against Muslims...

• India CAB protests
     Reply #3 - December 21, 2019, 12:07 PM

Malaysian PM Mahathir criticises India's citizenship law     says news '

Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad on Saturday criticised a new citizenship law in India that excludes Muslim immigrants.

At a news conference following the conclusion of an Islamic summit in Kuala Lumpur, Mahathir said India is a secular state and the religions of people should not prevent them from attaining citizenship.

"To exclude Muslims from becoming citizens, even by due process, I think, is unfair," he said.

At least 14 people have been killed in clashes between police and protesters since parliament passed the law on December 11, with critics saying it discriminates against Muslims and undermines India's secular constitution.

Meanwhile, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi met his council of ministers on Saturday to discuss security measures to end violent protests against the citizenship law, government sources said, in one of biggest crises yet for his Hindu nationalist government.

The backlash is the strongest show of dissent against Modi's government since he was first elected in 2014.

Demonstrations continued on Saturday despite curfews and a draconian regulation to shut down protests.

India's most populous state, Uttar Pradesh, has seen the worst violence with nine people killed so far and several more in critical conditions in hospital.

Rights activists in Uttar Pradesh said police had raided their houses and offices to prevent them from planning fresh demonstrations. Authorities also shut schools across the state as fresh protests erupted on Saturday.

Uttar Pradesh is ruled by Modi's nationalist party and has long seen clashes between majority Hindus and minority Muslims.

In the capital city of Delhi, family members waited outside a police station seeking the release of dozens of detained protesters.

More demonstrations are planned in several parts of the country, including in the northeastern state of Assam, where residents are angry that the law makes it easier for non-Muslim migrants from Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Pakistan who settled in India prior to 2015 to obtain Indian citizenship.

YOU RIGHT WING HINDU IDIOTS IN INDIAN GOVT  PLAYING WITH YOUR  FAITH RULES MUST LISTEN TO  THIS

"To exclude Muslims from becoming citizens, even by due process   is unfair,"

the key is "due process "..  and read this today's news from Land of pure

Academic Junaid Hafeez sentenced to death on blasphemy charges by Multan court

And Junaid Hafeez  a Muslim  is best citizen for any country will love to have it..

Hafeez bid farewell to studying medicine at the King Edward Medical College after his first year of MBBS and entered BZU to pursue a degree in English literature.

At the BZU, he stood first, shattering a 38-year-old record by scoring a 3.99 GPA in BA Honours.

Junaid was one of five Pakistani students selected under the Fulbright Scholarship Programme to complete their Masters from the United States.

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• India CAA protests
     Reply #4 - December 21, 2019, 04:26 PM

Protests against the new citizenship law have spread across India  _ BBC News

This law - the Citizenship Amendment Act - paves the way to citizenship for persecuted people from three countries, Bangladesh, Pakistan and Afghanistan. But it offers amnesty only to non-Muslim illegal immigrants.

Muslims have been excluded, and it's this discrimination that is at the heart of the students' protests.

read it all at the link

A Poem from Unknown Muslim Girl of India'

I wait in silence as my world falls apart'
    I  spend my days wondering what the future holds for me
    Will I be denied a job because of my faith?
    Will I be evicted from my home?
    Will I be raped by roadside?
    Will I be lynched by a mob?
    "Be patient," my mother tells me
    But I am nervous and loosing patince
     Will this fear ever end?

• India CAA protests
     Reply #5 - December 21, 2019, 05:01 PM

are they protesting this law because it is anti-muslim or because it is anti-secular?

• India CAA protests
     Reply #6 - December 21, 2019, 05:47 PM

One of the problems is that Muslims in India who are unable to provide evidence of their citizenship face being rounded up and placed in detention centres. This has already started in Assam:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yH3Z7uUn_DY https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c4RAXm96CWI https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LEJSDM3x5Ec
    70 year old woman rots away in Assam Detention Camp, son pleads for her release
    Inability to showcase linkage with their father’s family is a common problem faced by married women from low income and socially backward communities. These women rarely have birth certificates as most are not born in hospitals. They are illiterate and therefore don’t have school leaving certificates. They are married off at an early age and their names are only entered into the voters list in the village where their husband’s family lives. The Panchayat Secretary or Gaon Burah’s certificate though valid is considered a weak document and therefore requires another strong document to back it up. This explains why more than half of the people left out of the NRC draft released on July 30, 2018 were women.

• India CAA protests
     Reply #7 - December 21, 2019, 11:15 PM

Protest in London: https://mobile.twitter.com/amarag15/status/1208504260511649792
  • India CAA protests
     Reply #8 - December 22, 2019, 10:46 AM

Thread: https://mobile.twitter.com/MrSamratX/status/1208374092719480832
    The Bengalis of Northeast India have been getting kicked around since Partition. They are again the football in the game between Hindu nationalists and ethno-nationalists in Assam

• India CAA protests
     Reply #9 - December 22, 2019, 08:21 PM

Blood and Soil in Narendra Modi’s India
  • India CAA protests
     Reply #10 - December 22, 2019, 10:49 PM

well if there is going to be a war there .. it is all blood no soil..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCxtn6PCi7g

Pak Army Vs Indian Army.. Discussion with Pakistan retired Generals

• India CAA protests
     Reply #11 - December 23, 2019, 10:47 AM

Thread: https://mobile.twitter.com/psychia90/status/1209015173421228032
    In July, the Assam govt released a list of people who had died in detention. The list of 25 people included a 45-days-old child and an 85-year-old partially immobile man. I met the families of six of them. Almost all of them claim to have documents to prove that they are Indians.

• India CAA protests
     Reply #12 - December 24, 2019, 12:13 AM

Hitler’s Hindus: The Rise and Rise of India’s Nazi-loving Nationalists
  • India CAA protests
     Reply #13 - December 24, 2019, 05:41 PM

a bit like waving the union jack and singing the national anthem to deter english bigots - completely  ineffective.

Quote from:
    Indian Muslims protesting against a citizenship law which they say is discriminatory are carrying national flags and copies of the constitution, aiming to prevent supporters of the Hindu nationalist government from painting them as anti-India.

... “This tricolour is our symbol against fascism,” Asaduddin Owaisi, an MP who heads a Muslim party, said of India’s saffron, white and green flag during a rally in the southern city of Hyderabad at the weekend.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-india-citizenship-nationalism/indian-muslims-wave-national-flag-to-show-protest-is-not-anti-india-idUKKBN1YR18U?il=0
  • India CAA protests
     Reply #14 - March 05, 2020, 10:49 PM

two nation theory bearing fruit.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BbAmdStf530
  • India CAA protests
     Reply #15 - March 06, 2020, 12:53 PM

'I saved a life 36 years after someone saved mine'

• India CAA protests
     Reply #16 - May 06, 2020, 09:14 PM

Virus misinformation fuels hatred against India's Muslims    say news

.............................India's 200 million Muslims have long complained of growing hostility under Modi, who came to power almost six years ago.

Modi was in charge of the western state of Gujarat when religious riots killed around 1,000 mostly Muslims in 2002.

His first term as prime minister saw a rise in “cow vigilantism” — Hindu extremists lynching Muslims accused of eating beef or killing cows, which are sacred to many Hindus, according to activists.

His second term last year began with revoking the autonomy of occupied Kashmir and new citizenship legislation criticised as discriminatory.

In February, Delhi's worst religious riots in decades left more than 50 dead, two-thirds of them Muslims. A local BJP lawmaker was accused of being a main instigator....................

Unity, brotherhood'
    Activists say that in recent weeks, with media attention focused on the pandemic, police have stepped up arrests over the unrest, most of them Muslims and some under anti-terror laws.

“They are making sure there is no one to raise a voice for the community after the pandemic is over,” K. Rahman Khan, a former minority affairs minister, told AFP.

Modi has publicly sought to soothe tensions, calling for “unity and brotherhood”.

He tweeted that “Covid-19 does not see race, religion, colour, caste, creed, language or borders before striking”.

But Shahid Siddiqui, from the Indian Muslims for Progress and Reforms, a civil society group formed to battle Islamophobia, said the state was involved in stoking the hatred.

Muslims were already “maligned and painted as dangerous under systematic propaganda,” Siddiqui told AFP.

Coronavirus had added a new dimension, turning Muslims into the new “untouchables”, Siddiqui said, a word usually used to refer to India's lowest castes.

“It (has been) a deliberate attempt by media and the government to divert the attention of the country from the crises and allow hate politics to rule.”

read more at that link.. Here I should add Covid=19 numbers of India..

India

Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:

Recovered:

well that is India number get more information at https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/india/

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »