Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Just decided that i don't identify with islam anymore this month

(Read 4430 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Just decided that i don't identify with islam anymore this month
     OP - May 21, 2018, 09:28 PM

Hello, i joined this forum because i needed like minded people to talk to, people with similar experience, it's not very comfortable to be the only ex-muslim you know in real life and every one else around you believe in islam.

So i am trying to find friends and support here, and here is a bit of my back story.

I was born to a German convert mother and an Egyptian father. when i was 5 years old my father decided that we need to move to Egypt to make sure we would grow up good muslims.
    He made me wear a small head scarf when i was 7, made me wear a long plain dress and a long head scarf - khumar- when i was 11, i went to Al-azhar school and university, when i was 12 i went to a mosque to learn quran, There a teacher convinced me to wear a face veil at 13, by then i was wearing all black and even covering my eyes.

I used to watch anime, and was the worst member in the family for that, they made me feel very guilty about it, i used to imagine my self burning in hell before clicking the start button, but it took me years to stop after having some weird dreams, then i switched to religion.

I would watch religious shows, hear lectures and read books, i gave up drawing and for two years my life revolved around religion i had no reason to fear the fire, and it felt good to be close to allah, it didn't last and i started watching anime and drawing again but without a lot of guilt, I just didn't care by then.

At the time i was religious, i chose to study literature in high school, which meant no science no math, just because i believed girls can't work, so i wanted to work from home as a translator, i regret this deeply, i wasn't into literature at all, science and math were my things.

Eventually i studied psychology, i understood how humans and society  work, and i started having doubts, a lot of small doubts, but the biggest was how can you say it's fair for me who was born a muslim and know arabic to go to heaven and other people who don't have the same chances go to hell.

but i brushed all my doubts aside, and they became more and more, i remember last Ramadan praying and telling my self "lets be clear here,  you think that and that, and that makes you an unbeliever"
    I also because of anime could read and understand English, so i had a lot more available for me in the internet, and eventually i told my self that i need to see if the quran really has a good proof of being the word of god for very good people to be thrown in hell for eternity, i quickly found out that it didn't.   

I was shocked to find that all i though was true is false, so what no god?! mohammed isn't a real prophet ?, i was sad that i can't see my mother again when she dies, i was relieved that most people aren't going to burn for eternity, and i realized that i don't need to hate myself for being a girl, for having this body.

But now i don't know what to do, i wasn't allowed to go to study in Germany like my brothers, and would take a very  long time working to get the money i need to go, i feel sorry for my mother, i feel sorry for my father.

I am still wearing a face veil, i am still praying 5 times a day and fasting of course.

But i am not going to die falsely thinking that i know what life is all about.     
     Reply #1 - May 21, 2018, 10:37 PM

At the time i was religious, i chose to study literature in high school, which meant no science no math, just because i believed girls can't work, so i wanted to work from home as a translator, i regret this deeply, i wasn't into literature at all, science and math were my things.

Eventually i studied psychology, i understood how humans and society  work, and i started having doubts, a lot of small doubts, but the biggest was how can you say it's fair for me who was born a muslim and know arabic to go to heaven and other people who don't have the same chances go to hell.

But now i don't know what to do, i wasn't allowed to go to study in Germany like my brothers, and would take a very  long time working to get the money i need to go, i feel sorry for my mother, i feel sorry for my father.

I am still wearing a face veil, i am still praying 5 times a day and fasting of course.

I can't fathom how tough it must be to be a female unbeliever in a conservative Muslim household – let alone in a country like Egypt.  far away hug

Could you clarify some things, since I'm not sure about the particulars of your situation, or how the education system works in Egypt?

Did you go to university to earn a bachelor's degree in psychology?

Did you apply to universities in Germany? Did you get accepted to one but didn't go because your parents discouraged you, or because you needed their financial support? I was under the impression that education was free in Germany.

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #2 - May 21, 2018, 11:34 PM

I can't fathom how tough it must be to be a female unbeliever in a conservative Muslim household – let alone in a country like Egypt.  far away hug

Could you clarify some things, since I'm not sure about the particulars of your situation, or how the education system works in Egypt?

Did you go to university to earn a bachelor's degree in psychology?

Did you apply to universities in Germany? Did you get accepted to one but didn't go because your parents discouraged you, or because you needed their financial support? I was under the impression that education was free in Germany.

It's hard, but my mother is willing to listen to me, and i have a good friend who is sad about it but thinks its my choice, so it's better than nothing, and its nice to be here - in this forum-  far away hug

I went to a university and earned a licence degree in psychology, but trust me when i say that most of what i learned was rubbish, i even wrote a whole chapter with up to date information and gave it our professor so that we will study it instead of what is written in the book. - which wasn't really a book-   
    I can't really do a lot with this degree now, maybe work and earn enough to buy some books. - one euro is 20 pounds now, it used to be 8 one to two years earlier. -

I didn't apply to a university in Germany, because my father wouldn't allow it, but i plan on applying with the help of my mother just to see if i can get away with my high school education, which didn't contain any math or science.
    and the government won't support me since i already have a degree, so if  iwent there i will need to work.   

Reply #3 - May 22, 2018, 05:18 AM

You'll have to find some means of making sufficient money (which I know is no easy task given the current economic situation), and save up to take a few math and science courses at a university to make up for your deficiencies.

What are you interested in studying? I think it's possible for someone with a background in psychology to switch fields to something like neuroscience. If you want to go study something unrelated, then that will require you to complete another degree first.

- Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #4 - May 22, 2018, 07:18 AM

You'll have to find some means of making sufficient money (which I know is no easy task given the current economic situation), and save up to take a few math and science courses at a university to make up for your deficiencies.

What are you interested in studying? I think it's possible for someone with a background in psychology to switch fields to something like neuroscience. If you want to go study something unrelated, then that will require you to complete another degree first.

yeah, i am trying to figure out what kind of work i can do, i am already studying math and science by myself.
    i am interested in neuroscience, but i would prefer studying physics,of course if i am accepted in a neuroscience program because i studied psychology that would be good in it self.   

right now, i am trying to see if they will accept my high school education since i already have another degree. - going out  in Ramadan finishing the papers so that i can apply to a university - 
    and trying to figure out what job i can do, i am thinking that maybe i can do something online with drawing, but i feel like it's a naive idea. 
    and i will think about other things later when i really can go, like what will happen to my sisters..etc
     Reply #5 - May 22, 2018, 06:57 PM

I meant for graduate programs (MSc/PhD) in psychology-related fields. Then they will only consider your degree, the courses you took through universities, and research/work experience.

If you want to do a BSc in physics then you'll have to do high school over again (if that's even possible).

- Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #6 - May 22, 2018, 09:49 PM

I meant for graduate programs (MSc/PhD) in psychology-related fields. Then they will only consider your degree, the courses you took through universities, and research/work experience.

If you want to do a BSc in physics then you'll have to do high school over again (if that's even possible).

I was interested in applying to a neuropsychology but i am not sure if they are going to accept me, since .. well .. i am not sure if they would consider my degree good enough, psychology in Germany is taken very seriously and it's hard to get in psychology, but here in Egypt it doesn't really have much importance and a lot of what we studied was out dated information, things they don't teach in Germany any more, and we didn't even do research. 

i think my education from high school to university was really bad, i am trying to compensate on my own, but if i can't do any thing with my degree, then i think i will consider doing high school over again if possible, since education is really important to me.

it is very frustrating and i feel that my life has been ruined by religion, and i can't even try and make up for what i lost because of it.
    but again what i need now is more information, then i would see what i can do.
     Reply #7 - May 24, 2018, 11:38 PM

parrot

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #8 - June 02, 2018, 01:58 PM

Welcome to the forum Scheimaa!  bunny

I'm sorry I can't offer any advice as to your living/education situation. Have you looked into working in a clinical psychology setting? I'm not sure about how things are in that field in Egypt, but if its less strict of an education/certification requirement then getting some work experience in that field could help you down the road in looking for opportunities abroad. Just a thought.

I wish you all the best!  Smiley

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #9 - June 02, 2018, 02:57 PM

Welcome to the forum  parrot

You story is quite sad, but it's great that you came out and opened yourself here.

Edit: sorry, missed that you live now in Egypt.
    Can't you somehow manage to go back to Germany? Do you have German citizenship?
     Reply #10 - June 16, 2018, 12:05 PM

I was born to a German convert mother and an Egyptian father. when i was 5 years old my father decided that we need to move to Egypt to make sure we would grow up good muslims.

This is what my dad would threaten all the time. He's from Libya and he kept saying we needed to live there because the people are good and in the West everyone is bad and we learn bad things from them. Seems like a common thing amongst immigrants who come to a Western country then start feeling guilt about it. They can still be Muslims in a western country. Plenty of people do.

I hope you can get yourself to Germany because it seems like it would be the best thing for you.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »