Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: 4 years on as an ex-Muslim in UK

(Read 2450 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • 4 years on as an ex-Muslim in UK
     OP - May 29, 2018, 09:21 AM

Hi all,

I thought I’d make a brief post sharing my journey, struggles and wins.

Brief background info:
    - In my 20s
    - Originally  North African born and bred in UK speak fluent Arabic & English
    - learnt half the Quran off by heart
    - Used to be extremely religious (voluntarily) between 15-17 years old (strange I know)
    - left because I studied religion and philosophy so vigirously that I just naturally saw the truth.
    - come from a very scientific academic background

So - I’ve SLOWLY got my family to accept that I don’t pray and generally don’t practise Islam as I used to WITHOUT having to spell it out. I love my family so much and I respect the fact that they will most likely die under the belief of Islam and it would suck to create a void between them and myself. However, all religion is manmade and bullshit. My biggest struggle right now is the following..............

I CANT GET THE RULES (HARAM AND HALAL) out of my freaking head. The culture I grew up on shoves the RULES so far up your.... ##### that even now as an independant successful male I still have these subconscious guilt!!! What the f#%#.

And also - I still have this societal pressure - IN MY HEAD - where I fear what my “COMMUNITY” will say.

Anyway - I fucking hate religion. I dedicated years and years of my life learning the quran and everything to do with islam only to find out it was all a very clever hoax. But that’s not the problem - I’m now onto the practical side where I’ve realised religion IS NOT just rules.... religion becomes the fabric of society/family/community and leaving a religion is NOT like getting rid of your iPhone and buying a Samsung instead........ it’s much more difficult.

Leaving Islam (academically/scientifically/logically) = easy
    Leaving the culture associated with islam & family = super complicated

Would love to hear your comments / thoughts etc.
     Reply #1 - May 29, 2018, 01:27 PM

What’s worse is the ritual habits. I’ve stopped actively believing over 10 years ago, but I have OCD and I still say du’a as a ritual habit. I don’t believe in it, but I still fear something might happen if I don’t say it.
     Reply #2 - May 30, 2018, 12:02 AM

i just stopped believing a month ago, i can't even imagine missing a prayer,i am still wearing a face veil, and since i live in a muslim country with a conservative muslim family that brings religion in everything,  i still feel like a muslim.  wacko

like someone who learned late in life that the earth is round and the stars are blazing suns, but still sees the earth as flat and the stars as specks of light on a black sheet.

that makes me feel very uneasy, as if i don't know who i am anymore.

one day when i escape to Europe, i probably will try counseling to deal with guilt - for leaving every thing i was trained into -
    it became clear to me that me praying wasn't because i liked to pray or really to enter the heaven, it's something i
    trained my self into it because i didn't want to go to hell.

maybe you can see if counseling can help you with that.
     Reply #3 - June 02, 2018, 02:10 PM

Hi all,

I thought I’d make a brief post sharing my journey, struggles and wins.

Brief background info:
    - In my 20s
    - Originally  North African born and bred in UK speak fluent Arabic & English
    - learnt half the Quran off by heart
    - Used to be extremely religious (voluntarily) between 15-17 years old (strange I know)
    - left because I studied religion and philosophy so vigirously that I just naturally saw the truth.
    - come from a very scientific academic background

So - I’ve SLOWLY got my family to accept that I don’t pray and generally don’t practise Islam as I used to WITHOUT having to spell it out. I love my family so much and I respect the fact that they will most likely die under the belief of Islam and it would suck to create a void between them and myself. However, all religion is manmade and bullshit. My biggest struggle right now is the following..............

I CANT GET THE RULES (HARAM AND HALAL) out of my freaking head. The culture I grew up on shoves the RULES so far up your.... ##### that even now as an independant successful male I still have these subconscious guilt!!! What the f#%#.

And also - I still have this societal pressure - IN MY HEAD - where I fear what my “COMMUNITY” will say.

Anyway - I fucking hate religion. I dedicated years and years of my life learning the quran and everything to do with islam only to find out it was all a very clever hoax. But that’s not the problem - I’m now onto the practical side where I’ve realised religion IS NOT just rules.... religion becomes the fabric of society/family/community and leaving a religion is NOT like getting rid of your iPhone and buying a Samsung instead........ it’s much more difficult.

Leaving Islam (academically/scientifically/logically) = easy
    Leaving the culture associated with islam & family = super complicated

Would love to hear your comments / thoughts etc.

A certain amount of acceptance of a non-idealized reality is helpful. It helps deal with some off the cognitive dissonance associated with just getting on in interactions with Muslim family / community members. It doesn't make you a hypocrite or anything like that.

I feel like every once in a while trying to pin down what I actually believe in my head and honestly gauging my values helps me with regards to some of the indoctrinated rules. I don't consider what I do quite along the lines of journaling, but writing some of that stuff down can be helpful for retaining sanity.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #4 - June 02, 2018, 03:12 PM

Hi, welcome to the forum  parrot
     Reply #5 - June 03, 2018, 09:57 PM

It gets very complicated. It used to be so easy when i believed in religion, for every problem i could blame god and forget about it, but since the time i realised about truth, i feel like that i have no leg to stand on, i am on my own, no one is a true friend or family.

You can't change the world by being part of it.
     Reply #6 - June 03, 2018, 10:02 PM

I never had a problem about gulity conscious but mainly i worry about Ulterior motives of people.

You can't change the world by being part of it.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »