Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Good Islamocritic vs. bad Islamocritic

(Read 2778 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Good Islamocritic vs. bad Islamocritic
     OP - May 24, 2018, 09:04 PM

Let's say that we have made clear the difference between criticism of Islam (as a concept, idea, creed, way of life, system of values etc.) and anti-Muslim bigotry (as a sort of chauvinism against people based on their Islamic religion, faith, origin, name, "Muslim" ethnicity or racial appearance etc.)
    And let's agree that first is ethically completely fine and even necessary in these times of big troubles, while the latter is as unacceptable as any other kind of bigotry.
    Also. we'll discard the obsolete term "Islamophobia" since it's imprecise and misleading.

Still, I personally find it extremely difficult to keep these two things separate. The problem is that Islam is not an abstract theory, but a complete way of life which so many people wholeheartedly believe and follow. So, how to achieve the balance between criticising Islam and not offending anyone as a person in reality, since we defined it as as the only ethically acceptable way in theory?

To clear my point: if you, for instance, have views that are critical of Islam, sooner or later you will come to the point that you will show some animosity towards Muslim people as well. Like, any westerner who is critical of islam says bad things about Muslim immigration (they're not adaptable to Western ways, their religion is ideology, intolerant, they cannot integrate etc. etc.) So, aversion to religion almost neccesarily leads to aversion against the followers or, better said, adherents.
    Similarly, if you want to stand for the rights of Muslims, sooner or later you will say things that are recognised as a stereotypical apologetic approach (they're not all like that, in reality they're nice people, their religion also teaches them good, there are idiots in all religions etc.)

While the first guy in our example risks being labeled as a bigot (in full right, in my opinion), the latter risks sounding like a dumb excuse-making suicidal altruist. Roll Eyes

So, question is how to balance between the fact that there are some serious issues in Islamic teachings and horrifying and dehumanising image of Muslims as being collectively monsters and ruthless maniacs which many people have and express?

Also, I've noticed that there are some Muslims and ex-Muslims that have gained popularity recently by speaking critically of Islam and, although I like some of their points, I cannot ignore the obvious fashion of regularly bashing Muslims and inciting hate among their followers. Do you think they do it only to get more likes and followings on Facebook from non-Muslims or because they want to get rid of every tiny bit of their Muslims identity and cut the last ties with the world of Islam they see as inherently inimical to them?

For obvious examples I'll take supposed Imam Tawhidi from Australia. So, you can go to his Facebook page and write "Nuke Mecca during Hajj" and nothing will happen except few people will like and leave affirmative responses. However, if you ask Tawhidi why he tolerates such extremist cr*p on his page, and he presents himself as an honest Imam seeking for reform, he will delete it. There are some other examples, but this is the most notorious.

So, to sum up, question is: what do you see as a good, and what a bad criticism of Islam, who are your exemplaries and their antipodes?
  • Good Islamocritic vs. bad Islamocritic
     Reply #1 - May 24, 2018, 11:47 PM

I separate it between people and ideology. I think you've pretty much said the same thing in your post. There is a difference between an ideology and a human being. Islam and muslim is not the same thing, and criticizing one is not necessarily criticizing the other.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »