Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Does consent exist?

(Read 5103 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Does consent exist?
     OP - December 11, 2017, 05:13 AM

I had a really mind-boggling conversation with a friend today about abusive relationships. She said when one person is a "stay-at-home" person and the other person makes the money, it's automatically an abusive relationship because one person has the financial power over the other. She also said consent doesn't exist and you can't consent to be a "stay-at-home" anything. I get that it's a sensitive subject and rape culture and abuse is a huge issue, but I found this extremely narrowminded and detrimental thinking if you want to be in a relationship with anyone, especially the part about consent not existing.

Thoughts?

"Nothing lasts forever. Even the stars die."

A for Atheist
    A for Apostate
    A for Anonymous
    A for Aqua
  • Does consent exist?
     Reply #1 - December 11, 2017, 11:28 AM

That most certainly isn't how I see it.

We don't know the circumstances for the stay at home person; they may choose to, may have financial difficulty, may have a physical problem, they may be studying, may be a mother (or father), may not want to get a job, may be a carer for a relative, may just feel they don't want to (enough money already). All of the above are fine and perfectly acceptable. They will have talked to each other about it as that's what partners do.

Your friend may come from a family or have a view that if you're stay at home it would be for your partner (if you're a woman, right thing to do e.t.c) or because you're too stupid (what partners sometimes say to make the other stay at home, can sometimes include punishment), or its expected of you as a woman / mother (men should go out and earn, women have children). Those views aren't right and do not fit with the modern relationship.
  • Does consent exist?
     Reply #2 - December 11, 2017, 11:51 AM

I had a really mind-boggling conversation with a friend today about abusive relationships.
    She said when one person is a "stay-at-home" person and the other person makes the money, it's automatically an abusive relationship because one person has the financial power over the other. She also said consent doesn't exist and you can't consent to be a "stay-at-home" anything.

I get that it's a sensitive subject and rape culture and abuse is a huge issue, but I found this extremely narrowminded and detrimental thinking if you want to be in a relationship with anyone, especially the part about consent not existing.

Thoughts?

That is not true (the deleted  words )  dear  Atheist Apostate Anonymous  Aqua ...boy that is big name  to type..so I am going to name you "AAA_A" ... Cheesy Cheesy 

What  that "SHE" of your post saying is  slightly different  ."There is a  great chance or potential  chance.... That  those folks who sit in home such as house wives(or  even men) who do not have any control  on their family finances could become victims of abuse from those who are making money to run their families "

may be we can add  some more  statements like that   but that is what "SHE "  of your post is saying ..
    That most certainly isn't how I see it.

and dear farah_ziya  welcome  to CEMB den .,  glad to   read your thoughtful posts

with best wishes  for both of you
    yeezevee

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Does consent exist?
     Reply #3 - December 11, 2017, 11:59 AM

thanks yeezevee Smiley
  • Does consent exist?
     Reply #4 - December 11, 2017, 12:23 PM

thanks yeezevee Smiley

Oh.. anytime  I read  your posts like these dear farah_ziya .,

https://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=31126.msg874790#msg874790
    https://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=31332.msg874782#msg874782

I wish you and your  better half the best and  loooooong   loving life ...

great stories from  some families here ...

which one you guys like??...

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Does consent exist?
     Reply #5 - December 11, 2017, 05:02 PM

I had a really mind-boggling conversation with a friend today about abusive relationships. She said when one person is a "stay-at-home" person and the other person makes the money, it's automatically an abusive relationship because one person has the financial power over the other.

I wouldn't necessarily call it abusive, although, yes, money equates to power in this world.

There are some people who advocate for giving stay-at-home partners a living wage because of this.

She also said consent doesn't exist and you can't consent to be a "stay-at-home" anything.

I don't think this is generalizable to consent as a whole. But certainly an unequal dynamic puts into question the meaningfulness of consent given within such a dynamic.
  • Does consent exist?
     Reply #6 - December 13, 2017, 06:32 AM

Thoughts?

Of course there will always be a power dynamic between the person bringing home the bacon and the person relying on another to bring home said bacon, but that doesn't mean that it isn't a consensual decision. You can willingly enter into a financially dependant situation voluntary.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • Does consent exist?
     Reply #7 - December 13, 2017, 01:33 PM

I had a really mind-boggling conversation with a friend today about abusive relationships. She said when one person is a "stay-at-home" person and the other person makes the money, it's automatically an abusive relationship because one person has the financial power over the other. She also said consent doesn't exist and you can't consent to be a "stay-at-home" anything. I get that it's a sensitive subject and rape culture and abuse is a huge issue, but I found this extremely narrowminded and detrimental thinking if you want to be in a relationship with anyone, especially the part about consent not existing.

Thoughts?

Pure nonsense. That's what it is.

Is your friend in college?
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »