Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: There are things that still take my breath away (not in a good way)

(Read 3642 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • There are things that still take my breath away (not in a good way)
     OP - November 16, 2017, 07:40 PM

I became an atheist at the age of 15. Truth be told, I was just bored! At 15, I couldn't be bothered to pray, read the same book over and over again, fast or cover. It was just boring!

At 19, after an arranged engagement, I gave it another go. I knew, if i wanted to avoid being beaten from my soon to be husband from Pakistan, I would need to be sufficiently religious. I read the Quran, not just in Arabic, I read it in a language I could understand. Well, partially understand, as it was written in old English, rather than the modern version we speak today. I always found it ridiculous, that we would blindly follow something that we didn't understand. I was always told that Islam was the religion of peace, tolerance and equality.

That's what I found. One of the main reason's I thought I would give it another go was because of this engagement and I wanted to know what my rights and obligations would be as a wife in Islam......turns out there are many obligations and not so many rights.

There are many that offended me in Islam. The two main things that stood out time and again were that my husband could beat me, sorry, lightly beat me and that I could not refuse him sex. So that would mean I was his
    play thing. If it wasn't enough that my husband could sexually assault me whenever he felt the need, he could also have multiple wives.

I have been an atheist now for 16 years. A couple of years ago, I went a little further with this and realized that i am not only an atheist, but also an anti-theist. I hate religion. After suffering the loss of my brother and the imposition of a Muslim funeral by the community that we had grown up in, I realized that I truly hate religion.

My family knew that my brother was an atheist and he wanted to be cremate, yet he was buried in the Islamic way. They read naats and verses of the Quran at his funeral, whilst I shouted hysterically for them to stop, because he was an atheist and this would have been the last thing that he would have wanted.

Although I have been an atheist for over half of my life and an anti-theist for the last few years, there are still some things that take my breath away.

1. When Islamic books are put on the floor - its just a book, I know that. Whenever i have needed to use it for research, I still put it on the floor, but it always makes me feel nauseated.

2. Pigs - Some of them are so cute, but I still hold my breath as I walk past them. I still think they are really ugly, even if they are super cute and i hear myself telling myself off in my head, its not their fault that Islam hates them.

3. Pictures of Mohammed - I absolutely support anyone wanting to draw pictures of Mohammed, encourage it even and the right to feel offended by it, but I still have this terrifying feeling that the world is going to end because someone drew a picture of an ancient pedophile.

Writing this, I can sense the absurdity of it, but the years of indoctrination and brainwashing do have a lifelong impact. It becomes a never ending internal battle to counter years of brainwashing. 

Reply #1 - November 16, 2017, 08:47 PM

similar to my story but it took me longer time to admit that i don't believe in religions probably because i was too scared of what would happen and that i would face death penalty! i had an arranged engagement too! it was horrible when my ex fiancee tried to make me cover while i was living a westernised life! couldn't also understand how a man is allowed to beat his wife if she disobey him! or that he can have sex whenever he wants ! that he can marry 4 women! I'm a human not a sheep! i have soul, heart and brain! i can choose to agree or disagree to accept things or refuse them long story short after looooong research i found i can't handle religions! and i will be the free westernised edcuated independent woman i dream of!  dance
     Reply #2 - November 16, 2017, 11:31 PM

Why not try to immerse yourself in each of these different fears?

For example eat pork, or draw a picture of Muhammad for yourself? Blasphemy really helps take some of the mystical edge off a lot of this stuff, and I'd really recommend it if you're in an environment where you can do so safely!

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #3 - November 17, 2017, 05:27 PM

well  sadia  wrote two posts  one was simple Question ...  Is faith and religion the same thing?    well   both are related to each other but the Answer  is NO.,   

now sadia next  post I am struggling to read ..it is riveting
     and  I am reading and reading again..  but just few points form sadia's post
    1).  I became an atheist at the age of 15. ......

2). There are many that offended me in Islam.......

3).I have been an atheist now for 16 years

4). I realized that I truly hate religion.

2. Pigs - Some of them are so cute, but I still hold my breath as I walk past them. I still think they are really ugly, even if they are super cute and i hear myself telling myself off in my head, its not their fault that Islam hates them.

sadia  what is there in Islam to hate?  ..THERE IS NOTHING NEW IN IT ..whatever is there in it is was  already there before its birth .. so let us stop hating..   Huh? Huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h-AQKjDJ38

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »