Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Ask me Anything

(Read 7244 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Ask me Anything
     OP - November 13, 2017, 06:57 PM

For those interested on Reddit tomorrow 6pm

Quote:

This is a shorter notice than I anticipated but I was able to get Hassan Radwan to agree to do an Ask Me Anything(AMA) on the subreddit. He will be here with us tomorrow between 6pm-9pm GMT Time Zone converter. Hopefully everyone can come and say Hi to Hassan and welcome him to subreddit. If you miss the timeslot I'm sure Hassan would love to come back to see to any remaining questions.

Hassan Radwan, as everyone knows is a handsome, witty, well-dressed babe-magnet (he told me to write this). As well as that he is a popular personality in the progressive voices among Muslims and the Ex-Muslim crowd.

Hassan was born to an Egyptian father and an English mother in London and has lived his whole life in the capital of the UK. He graduated from SOAS with a BA in Arabic and Islamic studies where among other things he was head of the university Islamic university (ISOC) head. He spent 15 years as a teacher at the Islamia primary school which was founded by Yusuf Islam. He also authored four childrens' books in that time.

At the age of 48 he had a crisis of faith where he became a lot less confident about the truth of Islam and went on to found the Agnostic Muslims & Friends group on Facebook and the blog "Agnostic Muslim Khutbahs". He has also been involved with the CEMB and is seen as an active member at the online CEMB forum. "My Ordeal with the Qur'an" is a reasonably well known book which he's translated.

Hassan recently decided against using "Muslim" as part of his identity and likes to be known as just "Agnostic", in the past he has also identified as an "Ex-Muslim".

This is first in a series of AMAs in the works, hopefully this will be a successful venture with the sub going past 25K and into 2018. These AMA will be treated as "serious" so please behave accordingly. This is your subreddit so make sure you support it.

Related media:

*Hassan's Blog: Snapshots of My Life

*Hassan's Facebook

*Hassan's Twitter

*Hassan at the International Conference on Free Expression and Conscience, London, July 2017 with

*Hassan's Interview at the Clarion Project, Jan 2016

*Guardian article: Muslims can reinterpret their faith: it’s the best answer to Isis, Dec 2015

See you guys tomorrow, Be there or be square,

Deedat

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmuslim/comments/7cp8fj/upcoming_ama_hassan_radwan_tomorrow_6pm9pm_gmt/

• Ask me Anything
     Reply #1 - November 14, 2017, 04:39 PM

Bump
  • Ask me Anything
     Reply #2 - November 14, 2017, 08:12 PM

I can think of anything off the top of my head that I haven't already asked you, or don't already know.

In other words, I've been watching you Hassan.  Wink

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Ask me Anything
     Reply #3 - November 15, 2017, 04:07 PM

We're all watching you...  wacko (stop moving so much)

EDIT: Drat! I missed the AMA. I was at a gig at the time. I'm reading through it now. Well done for doing one Hassan!
  • Ask me Anything
     Reply #4 - November 15, 2017, 04:54 PM

I think the AMA didn't reflect the impact you have had on the ex-muslim and agnostic/liberal/cultural Muslim movements. I occasionally see your name being mentioned by Danish Facebook debaters.

But then your views *ARE* very "out there" so honestly I think it is hard to come up with good questions.

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
  • Ask me Anything
     Reply #5 - November 15, 2017, 05:27 PM

It's a shame it's not on the proper /r/AMA. It's where it should be but I guess we're still 'scary' as a community (plus r/ama isn't what it used to be).
  • Ask me Anything
     Reply #6 - December 13, 2017, 04:36 AM

I was always a little confused as to your (agnostic) theistic beliefs. Did you actually believe the Moses, Jesus and Mo archetypes existed and were indeed prophets actually inspired by a literal god? Or was it more the comfort of the familiar? When do I get to chat to you on the Jinn and Tonic Show? Do you fancy getting a pint in January or February (we can meet in Oxford right)?

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • Ask me Anything
     Reply #7 - December 13, 2017, 09:20 AM

I'm in London now Quod. Yeah I'd love to meet up.

No I don't believe those people were anything other than ordinary human beings who thought God talked to them.
  • Ask me Anything
     Reply #8 - December 13, 2017, 09:22 AM

Since losing my faith about 10 years ago, my views have been pretty consistent.

It's labels and identity that have confused me. Plus whether I should be a voice for reform. But the latter just feels disingenuous.

• Ask me Anything
     Reply #9 - December 13, 2017, 10:57 AM

Meh. I don't have a lot of patience with those "My religion" people. Religion was created for human beings. I am a human being. If you want to say it's more important to you than it is to me, I won't argue that, but it belongs to me as much as it belongs to a believer.

Do you still find comfort in scripture? Do you find meaning in the quran/hadiths?

How has apostatizing again effected your views, if they are effected at all?

Did you find "effected" to be a good follow-up, or would "affected" be more fitting?

Did you listen to the song on the Dawahman thread? If so, what did you think of my singing voice and writing talent?

Do you still rock out to Def Leppard?

Why do you think so many people on CEMB regard you in such a fatherly way? Or at least beloved uncle way?

Would you ever use your fatherly/unclely way to seduce girls with daddy issues?

What would be your ideal first pokemon?

Would you consider me good looking enough and intelligent enough to combine your genes with mine?

Assuming the answer to the above is yes, would you introduce me to your cute daughter?

Do you like Africa by Toto?

Are you more nostalgic for the 80s or the 90s?

If I paid for Ibn Bilal to come to the next farm concert thing, could you quote unquote "accidentally" book us in the same room? One bed of course. Feel free to send your hot daughter.

Assuming you listened to the Dawahman Song thread, do you think I should record a sing song of Ibn Bilal's Hotel Islamifornia?

Masquerading as a man with a reason, my charade is the event of the season.

Did you ever see the Masters of Horror episode Jennifer? If so, did the mutant demon thing girl remind you of anyone you know or have known in real life? IL seriously fucking reminded me of this girl I know...

If you haven't seen that ep, or indeed that show, will you watch it now just so you can give an accurate answer?

Do you like Boston? The band, not the city. This question ties into the above 80s/90s question.

Have you ever read anything by Neil Gaiman?

Have you ever read Paradise Lost?

Do you think Iblis refused to bow because he thought Allah was testing him, and bowing to clay, when he was fire (or anyone other than allah), would be shirk?

Are you a fan of Tolkien? Did you know they're doing a Lord of the Rings TV show? Considering how much better the Westworld telly show is to the 1970s movie, I have hope.

Do you ever listen to Don't Fear The Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult?

Do you watch Supernatural? If so, what do you think of the heroes palling around with the King of Hell and killing angels? Also, what's your fav ep? No wait, too hard I know, What eps would you show people you were introducing to Supernatural? Did you also get a kick when the King of Hell showed up on a back-road in rural America and said in a Midlands English accent "'Ello lads. Fancy a fag and a chat?"

What is your opinion of Loki?

If you had to pick, which Avril Lavigne song would you choose, sk8er boi or mobile?

Do you ever read my Thought Provoking Works of Life and Morality thread?

Who's your fav Doctor? Personally I have to say David Tennant. He's my Doctor 001_wub

What's the wittiest thing you've said lately?

Does "Burn" by The Cure remind you of teenage love?

Have you ever been so depressed that listening to Don't Stop Me Now by Queen didn't cheer you up at all?

Seriously, why haven't you commended on my Dawahman Song thread? Do you think I'm a bad singer? Is this why you haven't given me your daughter's number? You wake up in the middle of the night haunted by nightmares of grandchildren with my singing voice?

What is the most muslim thing you've ever done?

Did you ever see the Sex Pistols live when Sid Vicious was alive?

Do you like the Sex Pistols?

Who do you prefer, Sid Vicious or Johnny Rotten?

Have you ever seen the film where Gary Oldman played Sid Vicious?

Any chance you'll spend some of that facebook time on Skype?

Seriously, come back to the Jinn & Tonic Show.

Why do you think straight men are so turned on by lesbians?

Who would you rather have as a son-in-law, me or ibn Bilal?

Do you listen to Loreena McKennitt?

What is your biggest regret in life?

Should we exterminate the Mongolians?

Have you ever seen the Angel of the North in real life?

Would you be willing to go to the Goth Fest in Whitby with me next Halloween? You haven't been to a rave till you've been to a goth/punk rave in an abandoned Church. The acoustics are amazing.

Have you ever heard Soul to Squeeze by Red Hot Chili Peppers? What do you think of it?

Do you also lay in bed picturing Ibn Bilal in tight black leather?

Dracula or Lestat?

What is your favourite colour?

What in your opinion is the best ice cream?

Related question: when was the last time you had a knickerbocker glory?

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
  • Ask me Anything
     Reply #10 - December 13, 2017, 11:52 AM

>Do you still find comfort in scripture? Do you find meaning in the quran/hadiths?

I enjoy reading the Qur'an. Probably even more than when I felt I had to defend the brutal and cruel passages. I see it now as a historical piece of literature. I love reading tafseers. I think the mufassireen were geniuses - and highly amusing.

>How has apostatizing again effected your views, if they are effected at all?

I only left Islam once. As I said I toyed with labels such as "Agnostic Muslim" simply as a means to be an effective voice for reform from 'within' Islam. But it just feels disingenuous and have dropped that label now. But as I say my actual views about Islam and Qur'an have remained consistent since first losing my faith about 10 years ago.

>Did you find "effected" to be a good follow-up, or would "affected" be more fitting?

I don't understand.

>Did you listen the song on the Dawahman thread? If so, what did you think of my singing voice and writing talent?

I will check it out later - insha'Allah Wink

>Do you still rock out to Def Leppard?

Pink Floyd is more my style. (I'm pretty sure I've never said I was a Def Leppard fan. I do love a bit of Led Zeppelin though.)

>Why do you think so many people on CEMB regard you in such a fatherly way? Or at least beloved uncle way?

I guess because I'm old and most ex-Muslims tend to be youngsters. Plus I founded the forum along with Berbs, Oz & Wisehaven.

>Would you ever use your fatherly/unclely way to seduce girls with daddy issues?

Lol... No.

>What would be your ideal first pokemon?

Never into Pokémon, sorry.

>Would you consider me good looking enough and intelligent enough to combine your genes with mine?

Lol

>Assuming the answer to the above is yes, would you introduce me to your cute daughter?

She's married :p

Do you like Africa by Toto?

No. It's shit.

>Are you more nostalgic for the 80s or the 90s?

My favourite period was the 70s

>If I paid for Ibn Bilal to come to the next farm concert thing, could you quote unquote "accidentally" book us in the same room? One bed of course. Feel free to send your hot daughter.

Nope.

>Assuming you listened to the Dawahman Song thread, do you think I should record a sing song of Ibn Bilal's Hotel Islamifornia?

Not read it.

>Masquerading as a man with a reason, my charade is the event of the season.

Purplemonkeydishwasher

>Did you ever see the Masters of Horror episode Jennifer? If so, did the mutant demon thing girl remind you of anyone you know or have known in real life? IL seriously fucking reminded me of this girl I know...

Not seen it.

If you haven't seen that ep, or indeed that show, will you watch it now just so you can give an accurate answer?

No lol

>Do you like Boston? The band, not the city. This question ties into the above 80s/90s question.

Another shit band playing shit music

>Have you ever read anything by Neil Gaiman?

Nope

>Have you ever read Paradise Lost?

Nope

>Do you think Iblis refused to bow because he thought Allah was testing him, and bowing to clay, when he was fire 9or anyone other than allah), would be shirk?

Leaving aside the fact that the story is fiction - yeah possibly. I suggested as much in one of my Agnostic Muslim Khutbahs.

>Are you a fan of Tolkien? Did you know they're doing a Lord of the Rings TV show? Considering how much better the Westworld telly show is to the 1970s movie, I have hope.

Yes, I'm a big fan of Tolkien. A series sounds interesting. Is the Westworld series good? I've been thinking of watching it but I loved the original film I'm worried it will disappoint me.

>Do you ever listen to Don't Fear The Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult?

More shit music.

>Do you watch Supernatural? If so, what do you think of the heroes palling around with the King of Hell and killing angels? Also, what's your fav ep? No wait, too hard I know, What eps would you show people you were introducing to Supernatural? Did you also get a kick when the King of Hell showed up on a back-road in middle America and said in a Midlands English accent "Ello lads. Fancy a fag and a chat?"

I've watched it a few times. It's fun. What do I think of the heroes palling around with devil's and killing angels. Erm... It's a TV show Quod. It's fiction. It's fun. This stuff isn't real you know? Why would anyone be bothered by it unless they thought that shit had some truth to it?

>What is your opinion of Loki?

Who's Loki?

>If you had to pick, which Avril Lavigne song would you choose, sk8er boi or mobile?

sk8er boi - only coz it's the only one I know.

>Do you ever read my Thought Provoking Works of Life and Morality thread?

No

>Who's your fav Doctor? Personally I have to say David Tennant. He's my Doctor 001_wub

Yeah David Tennant was awesome. I'm a bit old school though and loved Tom Baker.

>What's the wittiest thing you've said lately?

Can't remember.

>Does "Burn" by The Cure remind you of teenage love?

Never occurred to me.

>Have you ever been so depressed that listening to Don't Stop Me Now by Queen didn't cheer you up at all?

Lol no. It works every time.

>Seriously, why haven't you commended on my Dawahman Song thread? Do you think I'm a bad singer? Is this why you haven't given me your daughter's number? You wake up in the middle of the night haunted by nightmares of grandchildren with my singing voice?

No comment.

>What is the muslim thing you've ever done?

Eh?

>Did you ever see the Sex Pistols live when Sid Vicious was alive?

Yes

>Do you like the Sex Pistols?

Yes

>Who do you prefer, Sid Vicious or Johnny Rotten?

Rotten

>Have you ever seen the film where Gary Oldman played Sid Vicious?

No

>Any chance you'll spend sme of that facebook time on Skype?

No

>Seriously, come back to the Jinn & Tonic Show.

No

>Why do you think straight men are so turned on by lesbians?

Dunno

>Who would you rather have as a son-in-law, me or ibn Bilal?

Ibn Bilal :p

>Do you listen to Loreena McKennitt?

I've listened to her. Not a big fan though.

>What is your biggest regret in life?

Not brushing my teeth every night when I was a child.

>Should we exterminate the Mongolians?

Eh?

>Have you ever seen the Angel of the North in real life?

No

>Would you be willing to do to the Goth Fest in Whitby with me next Halloween? You haven't been to a rave till you've been to a goth/punk rave in an abandoned Church. The acoustics are amazing.

Meh... Maybe

>Have you ever heard Soul to Squeeze by Red Hot Chili Peppers? What do you think of it?

I like RHCP but don't recall that song.

>Do you also lay in bed picturing Ibn Bilal in tight black leather?

Obviously

>Dracula or Lestat?

Don't know much about Lestat so it'd have to be Dracula

>What is your favourite colour?

Green

>What in your opinion is the best ice cream?

Mint chocolate chip

>Related question: when was the last time you had a knickerbocker glory?

Too long ago
  • Ask me Anything
     Reply #11 - December 13, 2017, 12:09 PM

Is the Westworld series good?

Yes.

• Ask me Anything
     Reply #12 - December 13, 2017, 12:43 PM

Quod you have problems bro.  Cheesy Cheesy
  • Ask me Anything
     Reply #13 - December 14, 2017, 11:28 PM

Is it my fault you're so attractive? Admit it. You can easily imagine yourself topless, dressed in tight leather trousers, dangling a pair of handcuffs with a come hither look in your eyes.

Are you really going to tell me you don't image us, decades from now, In the old folks home, together? Flirting with nurses young enough to be our granddaughters, holding hands as we get colonoscopies together, poking holes in each others urine bags?

• Ask me Anything
     Reply #14 - December 15, 2017, 12:46 AM

How did you feel when I called you the mujaddid/mahadi?

You mentioned in another thread muslims attacking you for your agnostic muslim beliefs. What were they saying?

Why did you feel you had to save the muslim world?

What do you think of Mrs. Robinson by Simon & Garfunkel?

• Ask me Anything
     Reply #15 - December 30, 2017, 05:15 PM

Would you be uncomfortable if I kept calling you Mujaddid as you've left islam? I just want to know if it's a compliment or a piss-take. Don't wanna take the piss.

• Ask me Anything
     Reply #16 - December 31, 2017, 03:41 AM

Never into Pokémon, sorry.

A terrible shame. One can only hope your kids can set you straight.  Tongue

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Ask me Anything
     Reply #17 - January 01, 2018, 12:49 AM

They've tried.
  • Ask me Anything
     Reply #18 - January 02, 2018, 04:12 AM

Can I ask how the he'll you make a new post on this website?
  • Ask me Anything
     Reply #19 - January 02, 2018, 09:17 AM

@MissDuplicity: you can click on "New Topic" above in introductions. It's a red button.
  • Ask me Anything
     Reply #20 - January 05, 2018, 09:38 PM

"Hassan Radwan, as everyone knows is a handsome, witty, well-dressed babe-magnet (he told me to write this)"
    Can we have more photos of Hassan!! sounds interesting  dance
    now seriously talking, why do you prefer to be called Agnostic? and not ex-muslim?
  • Ask me Anything
     Reply #21 - January 06, 2018, 10:15 PM

The ex-Muslim label is useful in helping to break down the taboo on leaving Islam and I feel I've done my bit in that cause as an ex-Muslim.

But I'd rather now identify as who I am now - Agnostic - rather than who I was.

Hopefully I can still help break down taboos and barriers and of course support my ex-Muslims brothers & sisters.
  • Ask me Anything
     Reply #22 - January 14, 2018, 04:38 PM

"The ex-Muslim label is useful in helping to break down the taboo on leaving Islam and I feel I've done my bit in that cause as an ex-Muslim.but I'd rather now identify as who I am now - Agnostic - rather than who I was.
    Hopefully I can still help break down taboos and barriers and of course support my ex-Muslims brothers & sisters"

thanks for explaining this Hassan!  thnkyu Its been more than 2 years when I made the decision of leaving religions! but it was not until last summer I know about the existence of Ex muslims group of Britain! and I found that I actually belong to this term "an ex muslim" at the beginning it was a bit scary to admit it! I was too scared of the consciences and penalty from extended family and community! but only now I start feeling I am enjoying calling myself ex muslim! this term makes me aware how brave and freethinker I become! and of course I am also available to support all my ex muslims brothers and sisters!
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »