Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: What are your creative pasttimes?

(Read 10655 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • What are your creative pasttimes?
     OP - November 04, 2017, 04:23 PM

I'm curious about everyone's creative hobbies here on CEMB. I think most members here already know I'm a writer. I punched out a 100000 word novel last year and almost had it published and now I'm working on another one. YA is kinda my bread and butter but I've written and published some "literary" shorts and poems too. I also like preserving flowers and plants in floating glass frames and gifting them to family and friends. I paint crappy water color paintings too and I'm fond of making found poetry in old books...how about you?

"Nothing lasts forever. Even the stars die."

A for Atheist
    A for Apostate
    A for Anonymous
    A for Aqua
     Reply #1 - November 04, 2017, 07:07 PM

.................... I'm a writer. I punched out a 100000 word novel last year and almost had it published and now I'm working on another one...................

what?  100, 000  words?? that is a big book Aqua.,   What did you write? what did you write? ..put some except  pages here to read....

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #2 - November 04, 2017, 09:34 PM

I'm trying to stick to my drawing hobby, but have issues with losing interest now and again. I'm practicing photo-realism right now. I also want to find my own art style too (I quite like the dark, creepy styles so I'm experimenting with that for now).

Me and my boyfriend both love cooking too, we've both gotten very good at it. It can be very creative! I did food photography for a while too. Also used to do general outdoor photography.

Other than that, I sometimes pick up a random thing and drop it very quickly. I had a play around with electronics using an arduino for a while. Fun hobby, but getting into robotics is pricey and I cant afford it right now.

Btw, you should post your paintings on the art thread. I'd love to see them!
     Reply #3 - November 05, 2017, 03:27 AM

what?  100, 000  words?? that is a big book Aqua.,   What did you write? what did you write? ..put some except  pages here to read....

I attempted to write a fantasy novel and it's too embarrassing to post any excerpts. It was a good first try lol

A for Atheist
    A for Apostate
    A for Anonymous
    A for Aqua
     Reply #4 - November 05, 2017, 04:00 AM

I'm trying to stick to my drawing hobby, but have issues with losing interest now and again. I'm practicing photo-realism right now. I also want to find my own art style too (I quite like the dark, creepy styles so I'm experimenting with that for now).

I know a guy who has a little palm-sized notebook and he sketches something every single day. You should try this, you should also share some of your work on here. I love art especially art made by people I know/talk to.

A for Atheist
    A for Apostate
    A for Anonymous
    A for Aqua
     Reply #5 - November 05, 2017, 10:29 AM

That's a good idea Aqua. I'll try doing something similar. I can't draw without a reference but maybe I could load up an image in my phone.   

I attempted to write a fantasy novel and it's too embarrassing to post any excerpts. It was a good first try lol

100,000 words is amazing! I hope you manage to publish something one day.
     Reply #6 - November 05, 2017, 01:59 PM

I used to write a lot. The last few years though, and to be honest something happened when I went through my "leaving-Islam-trauma", I haven't taken to the pen at all. I think that a return to things you used to do can be good, because sometimes you lose yourself on the way when you go through life and all its struggles. I'm thinking about writing again, but I'm not sure how to start or what to write.

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #7 - November 05, 2017, 02:07 PM

Do you ever visit reddit? /r/shortstories and /r/writingprompts may be worth a visit for inspiration.
     Reply #8 - November 05, 2017, 03:25 PM

Common make some 200 short stories out of those 400 pages ., I am certain one of them will be good.

See this real story  of a family  of Moghul king  Who  lives in dire poverty...

http://www.bbc.com/news/stories-41861843

The lonely death of Delhi's jungle prince

if you want know about that  above prince and his sister...  then go read that BBC link...

Reply #9 - November 06, 2017, 12:39 AM

Amateur level poetry and amateur football.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #10 - November 06, 2017, 02:12 AM

I guess we're all writers around here.
     Reply #11 - November 06, 2017, 09:19 AM

My writing tends to be mostly academic, though my sister (also an ex-moose) excels at creative writing.

It terms of creativity, baking is my passion  Smiley

Reply #12 - November 08, 2017, 12:25 PM

Came up with this a while ago.

All halal shall lead to my palace
    My exotic pleasure temple
    Wherein my court is both gracious and insatiable
    Pure and obscene
    For where pumps the true heart of life
    There too seeps corruption
    And from this my new Eden of pleasure,
    Dark eyed virgins with pale skin and swelling breasts
    Opium and roses weaned on tears and blood
    Will rise up in lust
    And the shadow of my Holy Prophet shalt extend
    Himself across the face of the world

Love me
    And worship me
    I'll lavish you and ravish you
    Fulfil all wishes and fetishes too

Many never want to see
    Many never want to know
    The truth behind their fantasies
    Their deepest needs
    Let alone be shown them

Love me
    And worship me
    I'll nurture you and hurt you too
    Fulfil all wishes for my sad Mohammad

I'll grant you life beyond your ken
    The envy of all other men
    Whatever vice will make you spend
    Eternity with me

So the slaughter begins
    Near the torchlight of a frightened village
    Where the rites of unimaginable sin
    And the howling on the wind
    Chills the blood for fear of spillage

They came from dust and flame
    By the Red Sea on dead shores
    Shrieking claims of blasphemy

And within a stunning woman
    Summoned to the Holy Prophet
    Statuesque, but living flesh
    Draping beauty about their pagan devils

The beast was loose and beauty party
    To the horrors of this sonorous whore
    A seducer, Medusa
    A frozen Hecate cloned

She comes to him
    Like a sandstorm in an hourglass
    A whirlwind of desire
    He is hypnotised
    To think beyond the pale
    Beyond heart-stopping eyes
    And sopping thighs
    He won't fail

Part of the garden, his dark Eden
    Fed blood by poisoned fronds
    My Holy cause hardened in her wet season
    Treading mud in her slough of despond
    But only now
    A path lies straight before him
    The maze is ploughed half through with hate
    Andpher crop is dripping red

In her grip on shredded sheets
    Once his fingertips had dug and clutched
    She whispered dreadful things to him

Her kiss has turned dismissive
    Her glance holds slight contempt
    Instead those eyes burn on the prize
    Of fates she really likes to tempt

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #13 - November 08, 2017, 06:43 PM

This is a serious (not flippant) suggestion.  With all the writing talent here - why not write a tv drama about a young Muslim's crisis of faith and journey to apostasy?  It wouldn't have to be exclusively negative on Islam and the retribution coming from his (or her) family and community - it could also depict the challenges facing a young Pakstani going through this in the UK of today.

Any takers?

Reply #14 - November 08, 2017, 06:58 PM

Honestly? I'd fucking love to write that. I'd also love to write about a gay/lesbian muslim and/or an ex-muslim, struggling to please their family. There's a shitload of muslim roles I'd love to write about, including stories about people I've personally known. Alas, I'd have to do it in a certain way, lest the guardians of islam at the BBC, channel four or the Guardian paint me as an islamophobic racist and try to smear me for all time. But to be honest, I'd probably give them the V and publish independently. Fuck them.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #15 - November 08, 2017, 09:45 PM

An independent series on HBO, Showtime, Netflix or Amazon.  Think about the Sopranos - never get made in the UK because of negative stereotyping of Italian-English, of Ray Donovan and negative Irish-American sterotypes.   If the writing is honest, penetrating and intelligent it should be able to make it on its own merits.

Reply #16 - November 08, 2017, 10:10 PM

What did you think of my poem?

Reply #17 - November 09, 2017, 01:11 AM

Have none. I wasn't particularly creative even when I was younger. I can't cook anything and I'm a shit drawer. I used to do write creative stories in English/English Lit classes but I never felt inspired to go beyond that and I haven't written anything creative in years.

Oh, I can make paper planes and little origami pieces?  Nah, haven't done those in years either. I'm just a lazy consumer of cinema, television and books.
     Reply #18 - November 09, 2017, 02:38 AM

delete
     Reply #19 - November 09, 2017, 02:41 AM

Your review of my poem couldn't of been that bad.

Reply #20 - November 09, 2017, 02:42 AM

lol
     Reply #21 - November 09, 2017, 02:43 AM

popcorn

Reply #22 - November 09, 2017, 02:54 AM

'tis quite late, I'm posting in wrong threads hehe. Excellent poem btw. Very macabre I thought.
     Reply #23 - November 09, 2017, 03:01 AM

And you even gave a "'tis". I'm remembering that bit of advice I gave you about embracing both cultures. Grin

Reply #24 - November 09, 2017, 03:07 AM

Can't help myself can I. Fuck, I hate this era of tribalism. British/Paki/Muslim. What am I? Above all at least, I am a human bean. B E A N. I'll cling on to that for now  wacko
     Reply #25 - November 09, 2017, 03:15 AM

Beans on toast and a cup of tea. Aye, yeh al'igh' lad. yes

Reply #26 - November 09, 2017, 03:23 AM

Ja. I will never tolerate coffee. Aaaand we've just hijacked a thread. Though I suppose I'm finally doing some

C R E A T I V I T Y!

Focker, Out.
     Reply #27 - November 13, 2017, 01:13 PM

Can't help myself can I. Fuck, I hate this era of tribalism. British/Paki/Muslim. What am I? Above all at least, I am a human bean. B E A N. I'll cling on to that for now  wacko

dear  Ward_End  i read all of your 220 or so posts patiently and painfully.,and was  pleasure reading them  .,  you have terrific skills of English Prose writing., Your problem and problems of many folks from South Asia are right in that word  used in your post   bean. B E A N. .,     We need to move on from BEAN  to  "  BEING" ..... human bean to human being......

well before  i say more on that "bean to being "   let me read  the life story of  a wonderful soul  you see in this picture

she is 80 year old  lives in Karachi., .,and she recently wrote a book  https://images.dawn.com/news/1178809/saffiah-beygs-book-sampurna-launched

And I want to read that book...i  want to learn more about her journey in life.. So help me out..

with best wishes
    yeezevee

Reply #28 - November 13, 2017, 07:55 PM

a wonderful soul 

Wonderful soul ?
    Is there even soul ?
    Why do we use soul to define character.
     Reply #29 - November 16, 2017, 12:23 AM

I don’t know if being an accidental numismatist would, in the great scheme of things, count as having what the average Joe might call a creative hobby. The accidental bit is for my never intentionally looking for rare 50p and £2 coins. I keep them as they come, and only recently have I achieved moderate success in convincing the local shop keeper to become a co-conspirator, lending a helping hand to an absent-minded chap in pursuit of his narrower interest of collecting 50p coins.

The shop keeper is one of those friendly lads who would correct you, on the spot, if you ventured he comes from other than the western part of Colombo, Sri Lanka. He, moreover, doesn’t really believe in asking people what their names are. So, the last time I had left home having forgotten to have enough cash on me, I asked him if he absolutely minded putting things on my tab, as it were.

The good lad obliged immediately, a fact which I put down to my being a regular (if somewhat sorry) sight. When I came back the following day to pay off what I was owed — naturally, by asking him “how much?” — he looked into his books and said “£7.58 please”. It was then that I thought I ought to ask him, just out of interest really, to tell me under what name I was being noted. His answer came back without the slightest hesitation: “50p Man!”

Lest I am accused of taking too narrower a view of collecting loose change, I hasten to say that I have departed from these two genres (50p & £2) more than once in recent times. As it happened, it was in favour of a £1 coin which proudly holds 88 on the so-called Scarcity Index.

No. The reason why I really, really thought of becoming a collector of coins was because I had been thinking of Abdul Malik bin Marwan minting the first Islamic currency; when I was growing up in Saudi, the smallest banknote was 1 Riyal which bore at least one side of Abdul Malik bin Marwan’s first coin.

But I generally like to play creatively. Having left Islam in my mid-twenties, I find it a life affirming to rediscover the inquisitive child underneath it all. I play most of my waking with most things. I seem to remember reading something by a familiar someone that the world — all the world, he was very keen to stress — is a stage.

Only a few days ago, I thought and wrote the following letter to my local MP:

Dear Jane Doe MP

Allow me to offer my belated congratulations to you on becoming the member for my neck of the woods in London.

It has been a number of years since I first started harbouring a loathing for the Tories whom many of your constituents would frankly think of as Capitalist Hyenas. Hitherto our opinions were not sought by your predecessor and where voluntarily offered were not appreciated.  It was him and his objectionable party who have been blocking the wheel of this society’s progress in which you and I believe so very firmly.

I had genuinely longed for the glorious day when a champion of the people (and might I add, not unlike Jane Doe MP) would come along to represent this little swing seat of ours. I stayed up terribly late during the night of the general election results with attention rapt on the wireless. The intensity with which the entirety of our household had prayed to Allah for you to win would have been worth your while to witness and behold.

Further, I remember clearly the conversation we had on my doorstep on the meagre wisdom of putting up with Jeremy Corbyn being at the helm of our great political movement. The impression I definitely came away with was one of you focusing, upon being newly elected, on delivering the sort of Brexit the country thought it had voted for; that that was far more important than the particular direction to which the old boy, and his water-cooler theorist & pal, Diane Abbot, might lurch. You assured me that there still are great virtues in being an effective Opposition.  We parted ways exchanging warm expressions of alliance and mutual goodwill.

We are proud of your successful election last year in which our household, no doubt, has played a distinctly supplicatory part. Even the cat, Khadija, was up and about in the small hours lending moral support to the praying congregation and seemed adamant to regard the democratic occasion with the solemnity it largely deserved. Therefore, it is for the modest part that our well-wishing household would like to extend you an invitation on behalf of the Prophet Mohammad (peace be upon him) to embrace the only true God, Allah.

Should you do us the honour of visiting our home, for us to witness you taking the Shahada and for you to be given appropriate sartorial advice, it is our intention to share with you the spiritual ins and outs surrounding the successful conversion of His Excellency Simon Collis CMG, UK’s ambassador to Saudi Arabia, to Islam in 2016.

We look forward to hearing from you as well as having you over in the near future.

Yours fraternally,

Abu-Khadija bin Adam

But the fact to the matter is, the cat Khadija does not exist (nor does Allah for that matter). I intend to write to her again in case she ignores the first letter but this time to enlist her help with finding our would-be missing, nonexistent cat, Khadija.

Khadija wouldn’t have had any pictures because our version of Islam strictly forbids taking pictures of living things as that will be a thinly veiled (and contemptible) effort to rivalling Allah in His matchless creativity. 

I will then write to her that we thankfully have been able to find Khadija who just gave birth to 5 kittens but alas, their father would be unknown to us. Would she therefore be relied upon to intervene and assist in locating their probably Persian daddy before getting Khadija spayed once and for all. 

After that, who knows if our household would not seek Jane Doe MP's assistance in arranging the marriage of Khadija, would be coming up to 9 years of age next February, to Larry, the Chief Mouser to the Cabinet Office and 10 Downing Street. Larry would, needless to say, have to convert to Islam first because otherwise, the moral risks would be great to their future offspring and their offspring after that.     
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »