Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Peter Hitchens

(Read 4514 times)
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Peter Hitchens
     Reply #30 - October 11, 2017, 11:26 PM

I thought 'Land of the Pure' meant Pakistan, but whatever, the question applies as much to any country.  How is any country supposed to progress if the young keep emigrating in large numbers? 

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
  • Peter Hitchens
     Reply #31 - October 11, 2017, 11:33 PM

I didn't realise I had said "Land of Pure".

"How is any country supposed to progress if the young keep emigrating in large numbers?"

I dunno, how? Enlightenment of the old?

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • Peter Hitchens
     Reply #32 - October 11, 2017, 11:36 PM

I didn't realise I had said "Land of Pure".

It was me who said that lol.
  • Peter Hitchens
     Reply #33 - October 11, 2017, 11:37 PM

But which country ever did progress due to enlightenment of the old?  I don't know of any, and certainly Britain itself never did.  Societies progress because a younger generation has different ideas to their parents and because they agitate and push for change in all kinds of ways.  

I guess what I'm saying is that its unfair to call whichever country your parents came from "fucking backward" when - and I'm sorry if this sounds harsh - your own parents and their generation who left are part of the reason its backward in the first place.  

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
  • Peter Hitchens
     Reply #34 - October 11, 2017, 11:38 PM

What's that got to do with me? Or Peter Hitchens arguments for controlled immigration?

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
  • Peter Hitchens
     Reply #35 - October 11, 2017, 11:39 PM

Well, its you who is being unfair.

• Peter Hitchens
     Reply #36 - October 11, 2017, 11:39 PM

I honestly don't understand how.

• Peter Hitchens
     Reply #37 - October 11, 2017, 11:43 PM

You don't see how its unfair to dismiss an entire country as "fucking backward" while lauding the emigration of its young? 

• Peter Hitchens
     Reply #38 - October 11, 2017, 11:50 PM

H'a ye been on the piss, lassie? I dinnu ma'e such a claim. Yeh talkin' shite. Y' go' th' Devil in yeh.

• Peter Hitchens
     Reply #39 - October 11, 2017, 11:54 PM

Ok, firstly I'm not on the piss, and secondly I'm not Scottish.   Tongue

You said, in post #24 that the country your parents came from is a "fucking backward country and a near theocracy and American Republican's dream."  I'm just saying you're being unfair.

• Peter Hitchens
     Reply #40 - October 11, 2017, 11:59 PM

And I still have no idea what that has to do with anything you said, or when I ever said young people should be removed from their country.

Yeh no makin' sense, lass. And of course you aren't Scottish. Scots have no fucking honour. That's why they were kicked out of Ireland in the 6rh century. Just fucking Irish iite.

• Peter Hitchens
     Reply #41 - October 12, 2017, 12:03 AM

You never said young people should be removed exactly, you just lauded your parents leaving and then called their country backward.  I'm just wondering if its ever occurred to you that maybe the country wouldn't be backward if your parents and people like them hadn't left?

So Scots are Irish lite, huh?  Funny, we always call the Welsh the Irish who couldn't swim.

• Peter Hitchens
     Reply #42 - October 12, 2017, 12:12 AM

That's probably because of the giant who made the Isle of Wight (see, I know my pre-Christian British myth).

You're assuming I'd be exactly the same if I were born in another country and culture. I might not even be an atheist, which is such a basic part of me. I might not have the freedom to be. I might be, and probably would be, a very different person.

And I still feel like you're responding to points I never made.

• Peter Hitchens
     Reply #43 - October 12, 2017, 12:21 AM

We'll just agree to differ so.  I just think the role that mass emigration has played in damaging some countries is never acknowledged in this whole debate, it always seems to be the immigration end of it that's focused on as the problem.

And it was the Isle of Man created by the Irish giant, Fíonn Mac Cumhaill.

• Peter Hitchens
     Reply #44 - October 12, 2017, 12:27 AM

dear QSE., thank you for  making me   remember  one of the  great persons of 20/21st century interface who influenced me and many folks in many ways including my work...  In June 2010  he was diagnosed  with esophageal cancer  and he died on  15 December 2011..  Even with all that physical pain  in his last 1 1/2 year or so he never backed off debating faith heads and educating innumerable folks around  the globe through internet .  I say to folks to watch his interviews and debates after he was diagnosed with esophageal cancer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B06tiTwAuvg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIVEsa2g4ag
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLLh5-ewcD0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkAMOrnyy30
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypK1CwPVz1c

with best wishes
    yeezevee

And Tony Blaire.

• Peter Hitchens
     Reply #45 - October 12, 2017, 12:33 AM

We'll just agree to differ so.  I just think the role that mass emigration has played in damaging some countries is never acknowledged in this whole debate, it always seems to be the immigration end of it that's focused on as the problem.

And it was the Isle of Man created by the Irish giant, Fíonn Mac Cumhaill.

The Welsh disagree. Grin

And I'm not sure where we disagree. Huh?

So just to make sure we're on the same page, you said
    I would disagree that Peter Hitchens is an asshole, although I frequently disagree with his views.

to which I replied
    I think it would be a mistake to say Peter is an arsehole just on the titles of his views without reading the context. Immigration for example, he makes some good points on why we should limit it (limit it, not stop it) that have nothing to do with racism or xenophobia but are purely practical. We should be able to honestly discuss this without going to extreme simply because of what "side" we take.

and then you went on about Pakistan and taking young people from foreign countries and asked me why I thought those counties could progress with said smart young people fighting to make things better, even though I never said anything of the sort.

• Peter Hitchens
     Reply #46 - October 12, 2017, 12:43 AM

I was responding to what you said in post #24. 

• Peter Hitchens
     Reply #47 - October 12, 2017, 12:50 AM

Okay, I just had a look at it again. I said that I'm glad I was born in England and that immigration is an issue we should look into. My response to that is, yes, I am glad I was born in England, and I do agree that Peter Hitchens' points that immigration is an issue needs to be discussed. Still have no clue what that has to do with Pakistan or encouraging bright young people to leave their countries.,

• Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »