Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Denmark decides to ban the niqab

(Read 2033 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Denmark decides to ban the niqab
     OP - October 06, 2017, 08:35 AM

Hi there gals and guys and everyone between and beyond

The government of Denmark has just decided to ban face veilings (niqab, burka) despite it only being used by a few hundreds and by personal experience I know that for many it is a temporary fad.

As a Danish Dane of Danish Dane ancestry such a ban is very, very foreign to me. I don't like the niqab and burqa, I don't even like the headscarf because of its socio-political intonations, but to me a ban on how people can dress publicly is an attack on my core liberal secular humanist values.

Two of our three governmental parties are statedly liberalist while the third is the Conservative party, which also used to be a huge proponent for individuals' rights.

The law will eventually be enacted as while it is a minority government the Danish People's party support it and perhaps even the opposition Social Democrats might end up as well because they constantly try to get "their" working middle class votes back which they feel the Danish People's Party has stolen.

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #1 - October 06, 2017, 08:57 AM

Good luck, if I know anything about being a Muslim woman and a munaqqabah, which I happen to do, it'll not be a wise decision in hindsight. But whatever. There's no winnig being woman, even less so being a Muslim woman....

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #2 - October 06, 2017, 09:52 AM

Thought about it a little...:

Fuck identity politics. While we will be busy discussing governing a few women's clothes we will happily forget to have the hard talks as to how the government will fund the 5.25 billion DKK missing from its proposed tax breaks. More austerity on its way but hey, at least we will now get governmental mandate to hate on those pesky niqabis.

If it was about helping oppressed women the government could have funded organisations to do that and make a law explicitly forbidding forcing other people to wear a face veil against their will. But that will cost money, and money have rights too, you know.  finmad  finmad  finmad

Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #3 - October 06, 2017, 10:25 AM

Dumb law. Stick to identification policy, compulsion and abuse. If a woman wants to wear one let her.
     Reply #4 - October 06, 2017, 11:54 AM

Just took a peek at the existing Danish penal code.

§260 part 3: Up to 4 years in prison for forcing someone to veil their face.

(§260 part 2: Up to 4 years in prison for forcing someone to marry whether civil or religious marriage.)

It is in the chapter of "Crimes against the personal freedom". I wonder in what chapter they will put the niqab ban...  Roll Eyes

Reply #5 - October 06, 2017, 01:44 PM

§260 part 3: Up to 4 years in prison for forcing someone to veil their face.

(§260 part 2: Up to 4 years in prison for forcing someone to marry whether civil or religious marriage.)

It is in the chapter of "Crimes against the personal freedom". I wonder in what chapter they will put the niqab ban...  Roll Eyes

Dumb law. Stick to identification policy, compulsion and abuse. If a woman wants to wear one let her.

that is the key "If a woman wants to wear one let her wear one"

that is all right ., there is nothing wrong having such penal codes..

But IT SHOULD ONLY HAPPENS "when some one proves in court of law  that some one  is  forcing someone to marry  or some one  is  forcing someone     veil /niqab on them "

penal codes and rules are NOT alalh/god laws.,  they are made and they can be modified/broken

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #6 - October 06, 2017, 04:59 PM

§260 part 3: Up to 4 years in prison for forcing someone to veil their face. [

It is in the chapter of "Crimes against the personal freedom". I wonder in what chapter they will put the niqab ban...  Roll Eyes

The "up to" is a problem as there is no minimum sentence. Maybe if a few people were thrown in jail for 4 years it would have an impact.
     Reply #7 - October 07, 2017, 10:21 AM

Good luck, if I know anything about being a Muslim woman and a munaqqabah, which I happen to do, it'll not be a wise decision in hindsight. But whatever. There's no winnig being woman, even less so being a Muslim woman....

Interesting. Why do you say that?
     Reply #8 - October 07, 2017, 10:29 AM

Did you post on reddit too OP? Damn they're a tough crowd Cheesy
     Reply #9 - October 07, 2017, 12:38 PM

Did you post on reddit too OP? Damn they're a tough crowd Cheesy

Jup. Commenters there immediately went full fascist. Many there are so snowflakey.

Edit: Just checked my post there. Kind of surprised it got 10 points eventually and not more abuse than I saw yesterday.

Reply #10 - October 07, 2017, 03:29 PM

Why I say it is a dumb law for Muslim women? Because Muslim women don't want to have others, especially non Muslims, to tell them what to wear. And since the munaqqabah from the get go has a certain relationship with her faith, and a certain mentality, to try and test and pressure her away from what she believes is right for her will NOT contribute to integration, moderation, or the fight against radicalisation. No Muslim woman/munaqqabah thinks this is a law for their liberation, it's for their opression.

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #11 - October 07, 2017, 03:52 PM

Add to that that a 2009 report estimated the upper number of niqabis to be about 200, and that about half of them were young ethnically Danish converts while almost all of the rest were people who were born other places in Europe and that the Muslim women I've seen debate the issue tell that 1) donning the niqab is over the top and 2) by their personal experience it is almost always a convert I really, really, really can't see why the heck a ban is warranted.

By the way our politicians realised that our constitution might have an issue with a "burqa ban" so now it is a "masking ban". Jup. Yesterday morning it was a "burqa ban" (because our elected officials, the prime representatives of our society, don't know the difference between a Pashtun dress nobody here uses and a Hanbali face cover that is what you see in the street in a few select areas on an odd day) and yesterday afternoon it was a "masking ban" and had NOTHING to do with curbing religious freedoms.

Reply #12 - October 08, 2017, 01:52 AM

Well at least they have figured out how to couch it in terms of honest security issues. But still. Sorry you had to see this, Nikolaj. I know it must really get under your skin.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »