Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 02:45 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: How to deal with racism ?

(Read 1461 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • How to deal with racism ?
     OP - August 27, 2017, 01:06 PM

Hello everyone,
    You may also notice the rise of racism and hate in european countries against non-european immigrants like arabs, turks and africans.
    When i was a devout muslim i really never cared at all since i always trusted in god and thought i would eventually make hijra to Saudi Arabia.
    However, now im no longer a muslim i still receive lots of hatred from european nationalists, even though i no longer support this religion and want to fight for democracy and western values.
    So far i never experienced such racism in real life. I live germany and most people here are really friendly and kind, but i spend lots of time on the internet and i read a lot and what i read was terryfying. Its this  kind of hatred  you might expect from a ISIS supporter and there THOUSANDS of such comments and threads. They don't really care if you are a radical muslim or peaceful secularist at all, they simply hate you for not being european and want you to go ,,back''.
    Now i can understand that these people don't like getting overflooded by foreign people who might commit crimes and change the demographs. But i really don't understand why they are also against people like me, who are legal and educated and support western values. I can't go back to a islamic  country, that would be hell for me.

It may only happen on the internet (so far) but it still depresses me and makes me feel paranoid. Its just not fair at all.

Do you also think about this?

Reply #1 - August 27, 2017, 02:37 PM

Yup. We've seen the anti-immigrant rhetoric on this very forum since the US presidential election and Brexit.

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #2 - August 27, 2017, 09:33 PM

The thing about the internet is that people who might be nice to your face will be as nasty as they want to you and will say exactly what they think because they usually don't have to fear repercussions. I am in the exact same situation as you; I received some anti-Muslim bigotry when I was a Muslim but can't remember anyone in this country being outright racist towards me to my face. On the internet it is a different story; I have been called every slur related to my race under the sun and more.

This is why I don't buy into the narrative that racism no longer exists here and that the nationalists are not dangerous people. What's even more dangerous than them is falling under the illusion that they will never have an effect on our lives. The reason why we're fine now is that they have no power (at least not in Western Europe), and things need to stay that way. Deal with racism by reporting it; I have reported a number of people to  their employers for racially harassing me on social media and have sent screenshots of the abuse. Don't sit back and take it in the name of being "tolerant", and if they are anonymous then fight back. Make them look like idiots, which is never difficult because racists aren't very bright people.
     Reply #3 - August 28, 2017, 12:06 AM

I have no idea what it is like in Germany, so I hope you are safe. My advice is to be aware of your safety and your risk factors at all times - don't go out at night, don't go out alone if you must go out, etc.
    In regards to racism itself the best way to combat it is to go about your business being your own lovely self. When you see racism, speak up if you feel safe to do so.
    People use the internet differently than face to face. They say things they would never otherwise say, and do it louder than they ever would in real life conversation. Turn the internet off, go out, and get to know your neighbors. It helps.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »