Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Charlottesville: one dead, nineteen injured as car drives into protesters

(Read 30027 times)
  • 12 3 ... 6 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Charlottesville: one dead, nineteen injured as car drives into protesters
     OP - August 12, 2017, 09:23 PM

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/12/virginia-unite-the-right-rally-protest-violence
    A car rammed into a group of people peacefully protesting against a white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, on Saturday, killing one person and injuring 19.
    Witnesses said those hit by the car were people peacefully protesting the planned white supremacist rally and footage showed the vehicle crashing into another car, throwing people over the top of it.

The driver was later arrested, authorities said.

The unrest took place around a planned “Unite the Right” rally at the city’s Emancipation Park as fighting and scuffles broke out between the two groups.

At least eight people were injured in the clashes and there has been at least one arrest related to those.

About two hours after the first clashes on Saturday, authorities were on the scene after a vehicle plowed into a group of people marching peacefully through downtown Charlottesville.

The photographer Pat Jarrett, who was close by when the incident took place, told the Guardian: “A gray Dodge Charger ploughed into a sedan and then into a mini-van. Bodies flew. People were terrified and screaming. Those closest to it said it was definitely a violent attack. The driver, who people later described as a skinny white guy with a straggly beard, reversed out of there and drove off, the front end of his car all smashed up.”

Reply #1 - August 12, 2017, 09:42 PM

What you need to know about the Nazi rally in Charlottesville, VA
     Reply #2 - August 12, 2017, 09:49 PM

Just so sad. Terrorist fucks everywhere.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #3 - August 12, 2017, 09:51 PM

Thread on the urban75 forum: https://www.urban75.net/forums/threads/the-alt-right.348979/page-23
     Reply #4 - August 13, 2017, 07:41 AM

Heather Heyer, the victim of yesterday's attack: https://mobile.twitter.com/DeepInTheHills/status/896564722480369665
     Reply #5 - August 13, 2017, 10:44 AM

Heather Heyer, ..........the victim of yesterday's attack: .....................

news at  https://www.dawn.com/news/1351345/3-dead-dozens-injured-in-violent-white-supremacist-rally-in-virginia  with these pictures says

Protesters march in Charlottesville, Virginia. ─ A

3 dead, dozens injured in violent white supremacist rally in Virginia

United States (US) President Donald Trump blamed "many sides" for the violent clashes between protesters and white supremacists in Charlottesville, Virginia, on Saturday that left three people dead and dozens others injured as emergency was declared in the state.

The chaos erupted around what is believed to be the largest group of white
     supremacists to come together in a decade including neo-Nazis, skinheads, members of the Ku Klux Klan who descended on the city to "take America back" by rallying against plans to remove a Confederate statue of Gen Robert E. Lee in the city's Emancipation Park.

A 20-year-old allegedly attending the white supremacist rally rammed a car into protesters, killing a woman and injuring others.

James Alex Fields Jr allegedly plowed a car into a crowd when a white supremacist rally erupted into deadly violence on August 12, 2017 in Charlottesville, Virginia. ─ AFP
    James Alex Fields Jr allegedly plowed a car into a crowd when a white supremacist rally erupted into deadly violence on August 12, 2017 in Charlottesville, Vir
    ginia. ─  
    The driver, James Alex Fields Jr, a 20-year-old who recently moved to Ohio from where he grew up in Kentucky, was charged with second-degree murder and other counts.

the news  link  also says  with this picture  says

Just as the city seemed like to be quieting down, black smoke billowed out from the tree tops just outside of town as a Virginia State Police helicopter crashed into the woods.

Both troopers onboard, Lieutenant H. Jay Cullen, 48, and Berke M.M. Bates, one day shy of his 41st birthday, were killed.

Police said the helicopter had been deployed to the violent protests in the city, which has been caught in the middle of the nation's culture wars since it decided earlier this year to remove a statue of Confederate General Robert E. Lee, enshrined in bronze on horseback in the city's Emancipation Park.

well that is the news from AMRIKA .,BUT THESE IDIOTS  who write such news could have also given picture  of that 32 year old Heather Heyer  who died in protesting against white heroes that are trying to save their SKIN COLOR ...

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #6 - August 13, 2017, 07:36 PM

Heather Heyer identified as victim of Charlottesville car attack
     Reply #7 - August 13, 2017, 08:09 PM

On the train back from Charlottesville (thread): https://mobile.twitter.com/mahrohj/status/896785393995173888
     Reply #8 - August 13, 2017, 10:17 PM

Yes. Yes. Yes. Goddamn it. I hate that culture.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #9 - August 14, 2017, 03:05 AM

The white supremacist sites are acting like they did a world a favour with her death.
     Reply #10 - August 14, 2017, 11:14 AM

Damage control: https://mobile.twitter.com/IGD_News/status/896704210472812545?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%23896704210472812545
     Reply #11 - August 14, 2017, 06:13 PM

Democracy Now report
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5mX4qAcVTp8
     Reply #12 - August 15, 2017, 12:23 AM

From what I have read it is being investigated as a terrorist act. The police completely failed at the protest. Both sides brought weapons. DM is ignoring this fact. Trump points it out.

FYI Lee wasn't pro-slavery.
     Reply #13 - August 15, 2017, 12:32 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_E._Lee#Lee.27s_views_on_slavery

No, he was pro "God is punishing Africans with slavery and they are better off being beaten to death here than they were free in Africa as it is for their own good".
    and also pro "go capture freed slaves and make them your property" with his troops.

Come on.

Reply #14 - August 15, 2017, 02:21 AM

FYI Lee wasn't pro-slavery.

I know you like to give controversial opinions, but I have to say. What the hell are you on about?

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #15 - August 15, 2017, 03:43 AM

I know you like to give controversial opinions, but I have to say. What the hell are you on about?

Just pointing out one of the supposed reason for the protest, not that I believe it, was a statue of Lee and what he represents. Lee was hardly pro-slavery nor more than Lincoln was an abolitionist. Often the icon represent the person more than the person represents the icon. People focus on the icon but do not question if it correct or not. They just parrot the narratives about the icon.
     Reply #16 - August 15, 2017, 03:53 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_E._Lee#Lee.27s_views_on_slavery

No, he was pro "God is punishing Africans with slavery and they are better off being beaten to death here than they were free in Africa as it is for their own good".
    and also pro "go capture freed slaves and make them your property" with his troops.

Come on.

Except in letters he called it morally evil. He just did next to nothing about it. The raids were made on both sides. The Union did it via existing laws in which slaves were property via the Emancipation Proclamation and Confiscation Acts. The Union and Union Army until 1864 were the owners of every slave. The morality was vastly different but legally speaking the same until 1864. Lee did the same.

He was ignorant of slavery in general.

His religion blinded him. However every Christian I know that has read the OT has the same messed up blind spot as well. So does every Muslim and Jew. Any religion that has advocated for slavery in the past does this to modern followers. That does not make them pro-slavery. At best it makes them apathetic and drones. They would be just like Lee if they were born centuries ago as they have no ability to question anything.

Reply #17 - August 15, 2017, 07:07 AM

..............The morality was vastly different but legally speaking the same until 1864. Lee did the same.............

He was ignorant of slavery in general.

His religion blinded him. However every Christian I know that has read the OT has the same messed up blind spot as well. So does every Muslim and Jew. Any religion that has advocated for slavery in the past does this to modern followers. That does not make them pro-slavery. At best it makes them apathetic and drones. They would be just like Lee if they were born centuries ago as they have no ability to question anything.

...........morality is different from legality ... ....   bogart

that is a very good point dear bogart

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #18 - August 15, 2017, 07:54 AM

Yes hence why he called it morally evil.
     Reply #19 - August 15, 2017, 10:49 AM

Yazidis on Charlottesville
     Reply #20 - August 15, 2017, 03:12 PM

Who were the counterprotesters in Charlottesville?
     Reply #21 - August 15, 2017, 04:31 PM

Just pointing out one of the supposed reason for the protest, not that I believe it, was a statue of Lee and what he represents. Lee was hardly pro-slavery nor more than Lincoln was an abolitionist. Often the icon represent the person more than the person represents the icon. People focus on the icon but do not question if it correct or not. They just parrot the narratives about the icon.

He was a slave-owner, who led a nation built because of slave-owning. Abraham Lincoln chose to fight against it. Their actions speak and paint them in history in ways that their words or purported ignorance or moral hand-wringing can not.

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #22 - August 15, 2017, 04:35 PM

Part 2 of the Democracy Now report
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cqKn-MWUus4
     Reply #23 - August 15, 2017, 05:21 PM

He was a slave-owner,

Which he inherited from what I have read.

who led a nation built because of slave-owning.

Yes. He made a choice for the wrong reasons. His misguided idea of Providence prevented him from realizing slavery could be ended by humans.  That is apathy and shallow thinking. He also was not a federalist. 

Abraham Lincoln chose to fight against it.

He didn't fight the Civil War for slaves. He fought to maintain the Union.

Their actions speak and paint them in history in ways that their words or purported ignorance or moral hand-wringing can not.

You are not accounting for all actions and misrepresenting other actions.

Reply #24 - August 15, 2017, 05:29 PM

Grant owned slaves yet fought for the Union. Clearly the war was not only about one issue.
     Reply #25 - August 15, 2017, 06:07 PM

Here's Howard Zinn writing about Lincoln and emancipation: https://libcom.org/history/lincoln-emancipation-howard-zinn
    Does this sound reasonably accurate? It's not something I've read much about.
    Thus, when the Emancipation Proclamation was issued January 1, 1863, it declared slaves free in those areas still fighting against the Union (which it listed very carefully), and said nothing about slaves behind Union lines. As Hofstadter put it, the Emancipation Proclamation "had all the moral grandeur of a bill of lading." The London Spectator wrote concisely: "The principle is not that a human being cannot justly own another, but that he cannot own him unless he is loyal to the United States."

Reply #26 - August 15, 2017, 06:26 PM

Which he inherited from what I have read.

Yes. He made a choice for the wrong reasons. His misguided idea of Providence prevented him from realizing slavery could be ended by humans.  That is apathy and shallow thinking. He also was not a federalist. 

He didn't fight the Civil War for slaves. He fought to maintain the Union.

You are not accounting for all actions and misrepresenting other actions.

I don't dispute any of this. I question it's relevance in a modern context. In a modern context Lee and his ilk ought to be rightly vilified for perpetuating the abomination of slavery. And whatever his reasons, Abraham Lincoln's actions were a foundation for many of the gains of black Americans.

There is no moral justification for glorifying the former of the two in a modern context.

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #27 - August 15, 2017, 06:27 PM

Here's Howard Zinn writing about Lincoln and emancipation: https://libcom.org/history/lincoln-emancipation-howard-zinn
    Does this sound reasonably accurate? It's not something I've read much about.

It's accurate. Lincoln was a pragmatist. Most historians acknowledge this.

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #28 - August 16, 2017, 12:01 AM

I don't dispute any of this. I question it's relevance in a modern context. In a modern context Lee and his ilk ought to be rightly vilified for perpetuating the abomination of slavery. And whatever his reasons, Abraham Lincoln's actions were a foundation for many of the gains of black Americans.

As people being on the loosing side does not mean they supported the ideas of that side 100%. Washington owned hundred of slaves yet I see no call to remove any of his monument nor removed from money.

There is no moral justification for glorifying the former of the two in a modern context.

The military disagrees,
     Reply #29 - August 16, 2017, 12:30 PM

Seriously. The military is not a bastion of ethics nor a superior moral example. There is no need to tout their values as a reason to glorify those who would keep the institution of slavery.
    "The military" has their own territory where the rest of us cannot go. They have plenty of room to put up whatever statues they want to.

• 12 3 ... 6 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »