Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 12:02 PM

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: New here..

(Read 3637 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • New here..
     OP - July 25, 2017, 11:45 AM

So I'm new here..
    I'm more of a lurker so probably won't contribute much. I have a persistant paranoia of being identified online.
    I am openly "ex-muslim" but have been warned by family not to openly discredit or slander islam, else they'll cut me off again. After so many years of working to rebuild even a shaky relationship with them, I don't want to ruin that just now.
    So you'll have to excuse the shitty "intro" and lack of detail i present about myself.

I wish i knew a group like this 10 years ago.
    Leaving Islam has been an incredibly isolating experience.

I've very much enjoyed browsing this forum so far, and I look forward to reading more and hopefully being a part of things in some way.
  • New here..
     Reply #1 - July 25, 2017, 01:43 PM

Hello Facepalm,

welcome to the group,
    I hope your relationship with your family helps reduce your feeling of isolation.

Im nearly 40, and lost my faith a few years ago.  I told my wife(but nobody else) and she agreed to stay with me if i remained a cultural muslim.

Its been about a year now since our agreement and Im finding it very had to keep this to myself and am considering telling people my criticisms of Islam whilst also claiming that i still believe in a god, not sure how that will work out, but i figure Islam is full of contradictions, so what one more.

Increasingly I feel like im being silenced by Islam, I feel like the people around me get to live in self-righteous bubbles while turning a blind eye to the immoral values they uphold by keeping islam on an infallible pedestal. 

Sometimes I feel like I should just get on with life and do things that I have a passion for and forget trying to take a stand about my beliefs. 

but other times I feel really angry that I cannot speak out about my beliefs and feel like letting everyone know what I really think
    about Islam.  I also feel that being in the West, I have an opportunity to be more visible and help dispel the myth that the Quran and Islam is perfect.

For now im writing a blog about my beliefs, and might at some point share the blog with my family and friends.

Do you have any opinions on this matter. 
    Do you think the isolation from speaking makes it not worth it.

A perfectly just God who sentences his imperfect creation to infinite punishment for finite sins is impossible
  • New here..
     Reply #2 - July 26, 2017, 01:31 AM

I think there is isolation is both speaking out and staying silent. I think it is the mental and spiritual separation that causes the feelings of isolation but this is exacerbated by the excommunication many ex-muslims experience and becomes a physical and emotional isolation as well.

Whilst I have openly rejected Islam and left the faith some time ago, I still feel that i am constantly censoring myself and unable to speak my mind amongst muslim family and friends. I try to be careful not to offend although sometimes I'd love to tell them I think it's all a load of shit and they're fools for following it (but what's the point?). I think they know how I really feel but they choose to believe I don't know the "real Islam" or that I am just being stubborn or stupid and I'll eventually come around.
    At the end of the day if they're not trying to enforce it on me, I let it go and if anything i just feel very sad for them.
    If they try dawah and get all preachy, I just say "aw yeah, aw yeah" until they're done, and then either change the subject or just simply say that i disagree.
    I try to remind myself that they mean well even when they're being hurtful, but I also try to look out for myself and take a step back from them when I need to.

But I still feel very alone and like a cultural reject.

In some ways, rebuilding a relationship with them has made me feel more lonely because it is a constant reminder that we will never be "whole" again, that this is as good as it'll ever get, and that it could end again at any moment, that they have that power over me. When they were dead to me I had the opportunity to move on, but I didn't take it.

In my family being a "cultural muslim" is not an option, although even if it was I don't think I could have lived that life. If I could go back and chose again, I would still leave despite it being the most difficult and painful thing I will ever experience.

But that was my situation.
    It may or may not be what you need to do.

Having said all that, after all these years it gets easier and easier for me. I am more easily able to brush off their words and have a laugh rather than a breakdown over them. It all still generally hurts but day to day I am able to get on and enjoy my life.
  • New here..
     Reply #3 - July 26, 2017, 02:44 AM

Welcome to the forum Facepalm, and have a rabbit!  bunny

I hope that you will contribute in whatever way you feel comfortable!  Smiley

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • New here..
     Reply #4 - July 26, 2017, 05:17 AM

Hello Facepalm. Welcome. I understand your fear. I have the same. So I change a few details here and there.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men (and women) to do nothing" -Edmund Burke
  • New here..
     Reply #5 - July 26, 2017, 08:38 AM

Hello Facepalm

thank you for your detailed response. You have already contributed something positive.

Some of my very closest friends, people ive known for 20 years are muslim, and as time goes by they are becoming increasingly religious, and i find myself doing the things you describe, and i suppose emotionally i am a bit isolated.

with regards to my family i doubt they would shun me partly because they rely more on me than i rely on them, but the real problem is that im surrounded by religous people who i just dont get any more.  when i see them asking for prayers for someone with Cancer i feel like shaking them.

I think i just need closure on the islamic thing by getting my belief out there once and for all, then hopefully i can mentally move on.
    reading your message has reinforced in me that regardless of what i tell myself, i need to find some friends who get me, and who i can be honest around.

I found a meetup group in London called Liberal Muslims and Friends, they identify themselves as liberal muslims who dont necessary fit in with their familys culture and im hoping that might help, but they havent had a meetup in a while.

I really hope you find a way to become less mentally isolated.

Thanks

A perfectly just God who sentences his imperfect creation to infinite punishment for finite sins is impossible
  • New here..
     Reply #6 - August 02, 2017, 11:02 PM

Welcome...well the community need to hear the voices of ex Muslims it's a taboo subject...it will happen someday...
  • New here..
     Reply #7 - August 05, 2017, 02:29 PM

Hej Facepalm,
    I'm also new here Smiley
    Can I ask, how and when you told your parents that your are not a muslim, and how did they react?
    I'm gonna tell my parents by lettet next week, so I'm searching for advice :/
  • New here..
     Reply #8 - August 17, 2017, 07:12 AM

I only spoke to my family about it once i had physically moved away from them. The reactions were a mixture of grief and anger, and guilt. Most of my correspondence with them after this was via email and it mostly consisted of horribly emotional pleas for me to see "reason" and return. There were a few (empty?) threats of "finding" me to bring me back and a physical confrontation on the street when i bumped into one of them shortly after.
    I was disowned and estranged. I'm still not permitted to see some children in the family for fear that i will corrupt them.
    I didnt talk to the majority of them for a long time and it was a very difficult experience.
    I still get the odd dawah email every couple of years.

You will likely be accused of being foolish, not knowing the religion, being "worldly" or misguided by shaytaan, at best generally treated like an silly idiot and at worst being treated as a traitor.
    I still get accused of not having peace in my heart without Islam, and get spoken to as though i need to be pitied and saved.

Hopefully you're family's more laid back than mine.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »