Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Adults are marrying children as young as 10 in US: report reveals

(Read 1321 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Adults are marrying children as young as 10 in US: report reveals
     OP - July 11, 2017, 07:22 PM

Adults are marrying children as young as 10 in US: report reveals  says news  with this picture..

Shocking new figures have revealed that more than 200,000 children have been married in the US over the last 15 years. Some of the children, who were as young as 10-years-old, wed adults that were decades older than them.

The minimum legal age for marriage in the US is 18, but there are legal loopholes that allow children to wed in certain circumstances, these include parental consent and pregnancy. The official statistics suggest that at least 207,468 children were married between 2000 and 2015 in the US.

But the actual figure is likely to be far higher as 10 states provided either no information or incomplete statistics, according to information compiled by Unchained At Last, a group campaigning to abolish child marriage, and the investigative television documentary series Frontline.
    There have been efforts to abolish child marriages altogether, but it has been met in some cases with opposition.

New Jersey’s Republican governor refused to sign a law that would made the state the first to have an outright ban on child marriage, without exception claiming it would conflict with religious customs. Founder of Unchained at Last, Fraidy Reiss, said she was “literally shaking” when saw the data for New Jersey that revealed nearly 3,500 children had been married between 1995 and 2012.

She explained: “That number was so much higher than I had thought it would be… Then, the fact that the children were as young as 13 and the fact that it was mostly girls married to adult men.” In June New York banned children under 17 from marrying; the age had previously been 14, with parental and court permission....

Hmm.,  Amrika  has lots of prophets and prophet material.,

only Caliphs and their harems are missing., It is time to make that country into a  caliph country...  well that is the news.,  incidentally it is published  in the sandland news paper ..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #1 - July 12, 2017, 01:48 AM

The numbers seem inflated. Because they're counting a 17 year old being married the same as a 10 year old. I would consider one to be grossly more horrifying than the other.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #2 - July 12, 2017, 02:10 AM

What they are referring to in regards to a seventeen year old is the fact that often the child's parents are giving consent for the child to marry and the courts are approving it.
    So someone who cannot legally give their own consent is marrying- entering a legally binding contract. Not allowed to vote or smoke or do any adult thing, but will be married at their parent's consent/insistence.
    The law should only allow for the autonomous to be married. The rest should wait until it is their own decision alone.
    In my opinion anything less is abuse.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #3 - July 18, 2017, 10:54 PM

On the whole I completely agree with you. And parents marrying off children without their consent is abhorrent.

I will say on the one had that there is a bit of a legal gray area with regards to autonomy and consent with 16-18 year olds in America, on a state by state basis. Maybe the parents who do this sort of thing are exploiting that. Then again maybe I'm off base.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #4 - July 19, 2017, 12:30 AM

Some states are outlawing the exceptions, and I wish they would all do so, in a hurry.

Perhaps if they granted full early autonomy to these children I would be more sympathetic.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »