Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Grenfell Tower fire

(Read 13886 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Grenfell Tower fire
     OP - June 14, 2017, 02:52 PM

Awful, parents have been throwing their children out of windows to escape the fire. One woman threw her baby out of a 10 storey window  Cry
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/14/london-fire-latest-grenfell-tower-fatalities-confirmed-residents/amp/
  • Grenfell Tower fire
     Reply #1 - June 14, 2017, 03:01 PM

Awful, parents have been throwing their children out of windows to escape the fire. One woman threw her baby out of a 10 storey window  Cry
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/14/london-fire-latest-grenfell-tower-fatalities-confirmed-residents/amp/

Grenfell Tower .......

I am just curious  who owns that death trap for poor folks that are living on month by month paycheck  ??

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Grenfell Tower fire
     Reply #2 - June 14, 2017, 03:11 PM

I normally pass this place on the way to work.

Yeez, watch

https://mobile.twitter.com/JamzLdn/status/874928215005036544

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
  • Grenfell Tower fire
     Reply #3 - June 14, 2017, 03:13 PM

This too.

https://mobile.twitter.com/akalamusic/status/874999733047234561

• Grenfell Tower fire
     Reply #4 - June 14, 2017, 03:38 PM

http://metro.co.uk/2017/06/14/several-hundred-people-were-in-grenfell-tower-when-it-went-up-in-flames-6706902/

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/london-fire-rydon-director-cladding-10621038
    The company that manages Grenfell Tower was ordered to make safety improvements to two other tower blocks after a serious blaze in 2015, it emerged today.

The London Fire Brigade enforcement notices followed a blaze in Adair Tower in North Kensington, which was caused by arson and resulted in several residents being taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.

The Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea Tenant Management Organisation, which manages the council’s housing stock, was required to fit self-closing devices to the front doors of all 78 flats in the 14-storey block and improve safety in the escape staircases.

The same requirements were made for adjacent Hazelwood Tower, the KCTMO annual accounts reveal.

The director of the company responsible for the Grenfell Tower refurbishment has admitted he doesn't know what the cladding was made from.

Police have confirmed there have been at least six fatalities after a huge blaze engulfed the 24-storey tower block overnight.

At this early stage many fear the colourful plastic cladding, which was recently placed on the building as part of a major refurbishment, could have helped spread of the flames. [/quote]

Andrew Goldman, director of Rydon, told Good Morning Britain: "We don't know there is any direct link between the fire and cladding."

"There are various different types of cladding and I don’t know the exact specifications..

“It’s a terrible disaster and again we want to get to the bottom as quickly as possible"

"All the materials that we used and the procedures we put in place follow health and safety guidelines.

"These things are signed off by the relevant authorities to make sure they comply."

Good Morning Britain presenter Piers Morgan addressed the fears that other buildings in the area may have the same cladding.

Piers said: “Can you give a 100% guarantee all materials met health and safety specifications?”

Mr Goldman replied: “All the materials we used in the work were signed off by the relevant health and safety authorities.”

Piers then asked why there were no sprinklers, but Mr Goldman said his company were not involved in the fire system.

Piers continued: “What I find baffling here Mr Goldman is that you don’t seem to know what the cladding was made of given the entire building as part of your refurbishment was covered in this cladding.

"I would have thought the materials that are used are absolutely vital. How come you don’t know?"

Mr Goldman replied: “It’s a technical question and I need to discuss that.

“We delivered a job based on the specifications that we were required to deliver it on.

"As I say again health and safety for us was a company is absolutely critical and we go through the procedures we are required to got through to make sure we are meeting the standards.”

Mr Goldman said he would ask his colleague what the cladding was made of and find the answer "very quickly", but he also didn't know who the work was contracted out to.

“The finger of suspicion is being put on this cladding," said Piers. "I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask you as the boss of the company to find what its made of.”

Mr Goldman said: “As I said we’re trying to get the facts together very quickly."

Piers replied: “These aren’t very satisfactory answers in light of what has happened.”

The telephone line was then lost abruptly before the Rydon director could respond again.

Piers added: “The reason we were giving him quite hard time is because he’s the director of Rydon who put the cladding onto the building last year and many witnesses say they saw the cladding go up like a ball of fire and that raises many questions.”

Well.,  London fast becoming   a  city of 3rd world country...  again  it proves to me .. Allah/god does not care   about poor people .. or  this  Allah/god   is flimsy imagination of fools

• Grenfell Tower fire
     Reply #5 - June 14, 2017, 03:41 PM

I normally pass this place on the way to work.

Yeez, watch

https://mobile.twitter.com/JamzLdn/status/874928215005036544

Yap  that is how poor become poor & poor and rich become rich & rich

• Grenfell Tower fire
     Reply #6 - June 14, 2017, 03:51 PM

This is next to one of the richest boroughs in Europe too.

• Grenfell Tower fire
     Reply #7 - June 14, 2017, 04:05 PM

This is next to one of the richest boroughs in Europe too.

I bet a pound of my flesh,   that owners of that Grenfell Tower are living  in such  boroughs ...

• Grenfell Tower fire
     Reply #8 - June 14, 2017, 04:17 PM

This was posted back in November: https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com/2016/11/20/kctmo-playing-with-fire/
  • Grenfell Tower fire
     Reply #9 - June 14, 2017, 04:25 PM

^

https://mobile.twitter.com/JamzLdn/status/874921877101322241

• Grenfell Tower fire
     Reply #10 - June 14, 2017, 11:11 PM

Thanks for sharing, guys. I heard that concerns over fire safety were raised as early as 2012. We need answers, the people who lived in those flats especially do.
  • Grenfell Tower fire
     Reply #11 - June 14, 2017, 11:34 PM

Fire escapes come to mind.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • Grenfell Tower fire
     Reply #12 - June 15, 2017, 10:18 PM

Cladding known to be flammable cost £2 less a panel, and saved the council about £5000.

Obscenity piles upon obscenity.
  • Grenfell Tower fire
     Reply #13 - June 15, 2017, 10:27 PM

Usually this is reversed, that the banning of unsafe items in the UK or Europa happens first and we catch up a few decades later. I am really surprised by this article.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • Grenfell Tower fire
     Reply #14 - June 15, 2017, 11:00 PM

It's insane how blistering the fire was. You could easily see the whole thing from outside White City.

• Grenfell Tower fire
     Reply #15 - June 16, 2017, 12:20 AM

It's a horrendous sight, I couldn't concentrate on anything this morning. One lady uploaded a harrowing Facebook live video in her apartment with her two children. She was panicking and praying, one of the children said something like "I don't want to die because there are so many things I want to do".

They're missing now. It will be a miracle if they survived.

There is no way that £10 million was spent on that.
  • Grenfell Tower fire
     Reply #16 - June 17, 2017, 12:22 AM

Yeah, it's been several days and I still can't get the images out of my head. There are many ways you can die, dying from a fire is the most frightening prospect for me. Those poor kids, those poor people, hoping upon hope that someone will save you and coming to the realisation that it won't happen for many of them. It's sickening.
  • Grenfell Tower fire
     Reply #17 - June 17, 2017, 12:30 AM

From yesterday - Firemen have estimated 170 dead, have to step over dead bodies in stairwells, and are yet to survey the top of the tower. So much for the "official" figures.

Lowkey nailed it.

https://mobile.twitter.com/gaurangmorjaria/status/875673831045824512

• Grenfell Tower fire
     Reply #18 - June 17, 2017, 07:28 AM

Technical report from 2016

Fire risks from external cladding panels – a perspective from the UK
  • Grenfell Tower fire
     Reply #19 - June 17, 2017, 11:32 AM

North Kensington is my home borough, which may be one of the reasons why I've been so shaken (reasons which of course include the fact that this is terrible).

170 makes sense; there are entire families that are still unaccounted for :(

I hope that they all passed out from the fumes before being burned. That would be a mercy, albeit a small one.

Thanks for the article, zeca. Even if the whole £10 million was spent making the building look aesthetically pleasing, there would have surely been enough to opt for less flammable panels. And why on Earth could they not fix the lifts??
  • Grenfell Tower fire
     Reply #20 - June 17, 2017, 12:46 PM

great pose ..AMRIKA and Angie-Land  has great leaders

1).   The Grenfell Tower fire occurred on 14 June 2017, at a 24-storey high rise tower block of public housing flats in North Kensington, west London, England.

2). Official announcement is at least 30 people died in the fire (confirmed by 17 June), with this number being expected to rise.

3). It is believed that up to 600 people were in the 120 one- and two-bedroom flats of the block at the time of the fire. Sixty-five were rescued by firefighters. Seventy-four people were confirmed to be in five hospitals across London, 17 of whom were in a critical condition.

4). According to the BBC, 76 people are missing, feared dead. On 16 June police said they did not believe they would find more survivors and it was likely that some victims would never be identified. The final death toll is yet to be confirmed.

5). Grenfell Action Group, had repeatedly expressed concern about fire safety, and had warned the block's management in November 2016 that only a catastrophic fire would finally force them to treat fire precautions and maintenance of fire-related systems properly.

Grenfell Tower is located in North Kensington,   in a mainly working-class housing complex surrounded by affluent neighbourhoods, in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea  The Tower was home to a diverse population of many nationalities, ethnicities and faiths,

It was managed by Kensington and Chelsea Tenant Management Organisation (KCTMO), the largest tenant management organisation (TMO) in England, on behalf of the Council. The TMO has a board comprising eight residents, four Council-appointed members, and three independent members

In a July 2014 Grenfell Tower regeneration newsletter, the KCTMO instructed residents to stay in the flat in case of a fire ("Our longstanding 'stay put' policy stays in force until you are told otherwise") and stated that the front doors for each unit could survive a fire for up to 30 minute

The Reynobond cladding reportedly cost £24 per square metre for the fireproof versions, and £22 for the flammable version

Great ..They saved  2 pounds....and killed nearly 200 people

On 16 June 2017, Prime Minister Theresa May, who had been criticised for not initially meeting survivors and relatives, announced a £5 million fund for victims of the fire.

well  why  £5 million??   just take that   £5 million  buy a mansion  and   put all those families   in shelters  ...   It is god's will Miss Prime Lady May., why spend money on poor workers...   god... THE BIG DOG will take care of them..

Filth..... filth starts  from the top...

• Grenfell Tower fire
     Reply #21 - June 17, 2017, 11:45 PM

So May at first didn't bother to meet with the families, when she eventually bothered to show up got booed.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/17/shes-adrift-tories-concerned-over-theresa-mays-grenfell-response

Emily Maitlis quizzes Theresa May on Grenfell Tower - FULL BBC Newsnight interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftY1NlPk5YY

‘May must go’: Protest in London over Grenfell Tower response & DUP deal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K7ziKPtWQQ

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
  • Grenfell Tower fire
     Reply #22 - June 18, 2017, 11:16 AM

I bet a pound of my flesh,   that owners of that Grenfell Tower are living  in such  boroughs ...

Grenfell Tower is council housing.  Nobody owns it except local London Borough of Kensington Government.  All high rise structures should have sprinkler systems built into them, triggered to release water by smoke and/or heat.   It was apparently built in 1967 and the fire code must have been totally inadequate then.   RBK and the Housing Authority it delegates running of public housing to should be made to answer why sprinklers were never installed.   

The Fire Code, Fire Department inspection reports / recommendations and local government inaction look like the areas to investigate.  UK is really good at investigations and reports after the fact.  Its timely action that is often sadly lacking.

• Grenfell Tower fire
     Reply #23 - June 18, 2017, 11:45 AM

Grenfell Tower is council housing.  

where do these council who looks after that building affairs lives dear  Unifier??  inside that 24 floor building??
    Nobody owns it except local London Borough of Kensington Government.

Ok., where do these Kensington Government officials who looks after the highrise building codes live ??  dDo anyone  in-charge of that building  live in it??  And  that building is full of one bedroom and two bedroom apartments., I am just  curious about the rent + taxes they are paying to live in it ..  

sorry it to this  but it is pure criminal negligence on part of whoever in charge of that building officials are
    ..... All high rise structures should have sprinkler systems built into them, triggered to release water by smoke and/or heat.   It was apparently built in 1967 and the fire code must have been totally inadequate then.   RBK and the Housing Authority it delegates running of public housing to should be made to answer why sprinklers were never installed.  

The Fire Code, Fire Department inspection reports / recommendations and local government inaction look like the areas to investigate.  UK is really good at investigations and reports after the fact.  Its timely action that is often sadly lacking.

1967?? now I am mad.. I live in  hutch house with little area  that is built in 1905...

they have done nothing to that highrise  building except fleecing the rent from public?? or is it free living quarters  for hardworking low income folks??

THIS FUCKING  MORON  preaching shit from stupid hadith

got paid some 25000 pounds a year  for 10 years or  so  because he was jobless ... Are these guys living in that apartment building also get some money from government because they work on daily wages or low paying jobs??

so many questions I face to answer myself  dear Unifier

• Grenfell Tower fire
     Reply #24 - June 18, 2017, 10:19 PM

I was a little off.  The building was commissioned in the late 60s but completed in 1972.   The occupants ran a blog with many complaints about the tenant management company that ran (or mismanaged things).   

Really really awful event.  I honestly have no idea about fire regulations, building codes etc in the UK.  I know more about the US in that respect because I've lived and worked here so long.   My impression here is that fire regs are more rigorous, but don't actually know 100%.

• Grenfell Tower fire
     Reply #25 - June 18, 2017, 10:54 PM

I don't know much about fire regulations either, but I know fires aren't meant to spread like that. I read it was started by a faulty fridge. That should  have been contained in the flat or floor it started on, long enough for the fire brigade (or service as they seem to be called now) to put the fire out, before the whole tower went up. That's why people were told to stay in their flats and keep doors closed. Something was seriously wrong, that's for sure.

Also want to say that the fire fighters who attended are amazing, brave people, going in to that building knowing the potential risks involved. The decision to go in in such a severe and developing situation was against official guidance as there was no structural surveyor available to assess the situation. Heroes, every one of them.
  • Grenfell Tower fire
     Reply #26 - June 19, 2017, 03:29 PM

Grenfell Tower – the KCTMO culture of negligence

An avoidable tragedy: questions for the public inquiry on Grenfell Tower

Architects like me know Grenfell Tower fire was an avoidable tragedy
  • Grenfell Tower fire
     Reply #27 - June 20, 2017, 01:23 AM

https://youtu.be/4DuKsxtLY58

• Grenfell Tower fire
     Reply #28 - June 20, 2017, 01:32 AM

Damn, man.

• Grenfell Tower fire
     Reply #29 - June 20, 2017, 07:44 AM

Big Zuu - Grenfell Tower Tribute [Music Video] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE0HbGorZmE

• 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »