Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 12:02 PM

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Ex convert greets you

(Read 4467 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Ex convert greets you
     OP - June 06, 2017, 04:46 PM

Hello, nice to meet you  Smiley

I am an ex convert, one of the many women who fell into the trap of thinking that Islam is the new Feminism. It is not, and I am glad to report that I was out before I made the mistake of a marriage. That's three years ago now.

Aside from that I am 29, a Pagan since just before I left Islam and fond of intelligent discussion. I hope to add some valuable contributions to these boards.

One has to have been a fool to become wise
  • Ex convert greets you
     Reply #1 - June 06, 2017, 08:01 PM

Hey there - welcome! I'm not a convert, but I went through an 'Islam is the new feminism' phase in my teens, too... I guess there was something about the focus on inward attributes as a determiner of value, rather than beauty or sex appeal, which really spoke to me. What was the attraction for you? In later years, though, I came to realise that women's rights and freedoms in Islam weren't quite as comprehensive as I would like them to be as a feminist Tongue There are other movements which combine the values I am looking for with full freedom to enjoy sexuality, to travel, etc, etc... I am really happy you didn't end up in a marriage you later regret.
  • Ex convert greets you
     Reply #2 - June 07, 2017, 01:51 AM

Welcome! I was a convert...

Don't let Hitler have the street.
  • Ex convert greets you
     Reply #3 - June 07, 2017, 08:28 AM

Welcome! Glad you saw Islam for what it is before you got stuck and married someone.
  • Ex convert greets you
     Reply #4 - June 07, 2017, 09:09 AM

Hey there - welcome! I'm not a convert, but I went through an 'Islam is the new feminism' phase in my teens, too... I guess there was something about the focus on inward attributes as a determiner of value, rather than beauty or sex appeal, which really spoke to me. What was the attraction for you? In later years, though, I came to realise that women's rights and freedoms in Islam weren't quite as comprehensive as I would like them to be as a feminist Tongue There are other movements which combine the values I am looking for with full freedom to enjoy sexuality, to travel, etc, etc... I am really happy you didn't end up in a marriage you later regret.

Well back then I didn't realize yet that I grew up in an emotionally abusive environment, so much of the behaviour encouraged by Islam seemed completely normal to me. It seemed to me that Islam could provide me with a stable family unit, something I hadn't known as a child.

I was also charmed by the warm welcome of the Ummah, the presents I got for converting, the endless food feasts and gentle kindness of the sisters I met. Until I started asking questions, and it turned out that they weren't as serene as they seemed. Slowly, the floodgates opened and I realized that what I considered normal was far from it.

• Ex convert greets you
     Reply #5 - June 07, 2017, 09:10 AM

Welcome! I was a convert...

I saw that in some of your posts yes!

Wonderful that you got out too  Afro

• Ex convert greets you
     Reply #6 - June 07, 2017, 08:39 PM

Good to have you onboard  Afro

What convinced you at the time the Islam = Feminism?

Late Eid Mubarak, Where's my eidee present ?
  • Ex convert greets you
     Reply #7 - June 07, 2017, 09:14 PM

Welcome  parrot
  • Ex convert greets you
     Reply #8 - June 08, 2017, 05:07 AM

Welcome. parrot

What type of paganism do you practise? Also, I don't know if you keep up to date with trends in spell-craft, but I've heard that recently magical practitioners have started to phase out the phrases white magic and black magic for positive and negative magic. Is this widespread?

Do you prefer it spelt magic or magick? I know it's an issue with some practitioners (assuming you are one).

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • Ex convert greets you
     Reply #9 - June 08, 2017, 04:53 PM

Good to have you onboard  Afro

What convinced you at the time the Islam = Feminism?

Mainly the standard tactics that told that Mo introduced women's rights far before we ever did in the west, the stories of fierce women like Khadeeja and Khawlah, the idea that it was the man's plight to make sure you are comfortable while you could work and keep money to yourself.

You have to understand I came from a very traditional (and emotionally abusive) family background, so Islam's so called rights (realized later that I was only shown the appealing verses with the less appealing ones left out) for women didn't sound bad at all. As I learned at first men were to treat their women well (the best among you is the the one who is good to his women), women were allowed a job outside the home, women were allowed their own income, contraception was permitted, modest clothing frees women from harrasment etc.

• Ex convert greets you
     Reply #10 - June 08, 2017, 04:57 PM

e
    Welcome. parrot

What type of paganism do you practise? Also, I don't know if you keep up to date with trends in spell-craft, but I've heard that recently magical practitioners have started to phase out the phrases white magic and black magic for positive and negative magic. Is this widespread?

Do you prefer it spelt magic or magick? I know it's an issue with some practitioners (assuming you are one).

I don't believe in things like black and white magic, I left that behind me when I left Islam.

I believe in good and bad actions, which all will return to us, so a kind of karma. You get what you dish out, so naturally I try to do good for me and those around me.

But things like hexing someone are seen as ''bad' by many people, but when someone attacks you or someone you know I think it's warranted. I don't mean cursing by the way, Hexing is something else. It's just making them unable to do the bad thing(s) they are doing to you anymore.

My paganism is eclectic, I am a witch with a Hindu pantheon Wink

• Ex convert greets you
     Reply #11 - June 08, 2017, 11:40 PM

Mainly the standard tactics that told that Mo introduced women's rights far before we ever did in the west, the stories of fierce women like Khadeeja and Khawlah, the idea that it was the man's plight to make sure you are comfortable while you could work and keep money to yourself.

You have to understand I came from a very traditional (and emotionally abusive) family background, so Islam's so called rights (realized later that I was only shown the appealing verses with the less appealing ones left out) for women didn't sound bad at all. As I learned at first men were to treat their women well (the best among you is the the one who is good to his women), women were allowed a job outside the home, women were allowed their own income, contraception was permitted, modest clothing frees women from harrasment etc.

Yes, all that took me in, too. Had to read and read for years before I figured it all out.

• Ex convert greets you
     Reply #12 - June 09, 2017, 10:40 AM

You're not the only one Three. It took me 8 years  Roll Eyes

• Ex convert greets you
     Reply #13 - June 10, 2017, 01:18 AM

Well, you did far better than I. You learn twice as fast as I do.

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »