Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Just a quick hello & intro

(Read 4266 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Just a quick hello & intro
     OP - June 05, 2017, 04:26 PM

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say a quick hello. I'm an ex Muslim (agnostic atheist) originally from Chechnya but living in western Europe most of my life (actually emigrated back in the Soviet era). I've been free from religion and superstition in general for the last two years, although it's only been a year since I've become comfortable (happy even) self-identifying as an atheist.

So in terms of Islamic belief and praxis, I was basically on the whole neo-traditionalist tasawwuf tip apart from a brief pseudo-Salafi/Ikhwani tip when I first decided to become a "born again" Muslim whilst attending university 20 years ago (wish I could go back in time and talk some rational sense into my younger self!).

My reasons for leaving Islam (and organised religion in general) I think are pretty much the same as most people here: the theological incoherence of and lack of proof for the doctrinal claims of Islam, the highly unjust legal system, the problematic history and present day state of affairs (all that jazz basically).

Leaving Islam has made me rather antithetical to much of traditional Chechen culture which centres around the customary law Chechens call adat. Adat itself predates Islam (in fact the Chechens weren't fully Islamised until around the early to mid 19th century) but has much of the same ultra-patriarchal themes running through it as Shariah. There are other problems with the culture such as clan loyalty and blood vengeance which of course predated Islam but in my opinion the religion and the customs seem to strengthen each other in a sort of twisted feedback loop. I envy the Kurdish (specifically the Turkish and Syrian part, not so much in Barzani's northern Iraqi fiefdom) and Amazigh nationalist movements to be honest, they seem to be genuinely secular and dare I say progressive (certainly when it comes to things like gender relations and generally doing away with oppressive/cruel religious and cultural customs). 

What else? In terms of being open about my atheism, it's not a problem with my immediate family (especially with most family members over 50) as they are very secular products of Soviet modernity. Frankly, they thought I was batshit insane for getting heavily into religion whilst living in western Europe (they totally have a point). The real problem arises with relatives 30 and below, many are obsessed with Islam to a worrying degree (so I have to tip-toe around some of them with my criticisms of Islam and religion in general). In terms of suffering for my apostasy (other than being angry with myself for believing in evidence free nonsense for the last 20 years), as a straight Chechen male living in western Europe (with a secular family to boot) I've had it easy (haven't had to pay any real price). My deepest sympathies (for what it's worth) to anyone here who's had to pay a heavy emotional and material cost for their apostasy.

Lastly, I must give a massive thank you to the contributors to the Quranic studies today thread. The papers you've linked to (and your personal posts) have been utterly fascinating and eye-opening. Much kudos to you all! Makes me wish this forum existed in that late 90s tbh. The only downside of that thread is that I'm spending too much time reading all the wonderful papers you've put there when I have exam revision and a dissertation to be getting on with!

Long shot (or maybe not): any Chechen atheists here?

Reply #1 - June 05, 2017, 08:47 PM

Hi, welcome to the forum  parrot

I guess you are the Chechen here, but hopefully not the last.
     Reply #2 - June 06, 2017, 01:14 AM

Welcome! parrot

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #3 - June 06, 2017, 07:53 PM

Welcome! I'm not Chechen but it was so interestinf to read your intro, bro. Learnt a lot of new things just from that post!
     Reply #4 - June 07, 2017, 07:31 PM

Welcome to the forum Chechen Atheist, have a rabbit!  bunny

Your background is quite unique, as is your quite developed vocabulary. I hope you continue to find more interesting discussions to contribute to in the forums!  Afro

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #5 - June 08, 2017, 10:49 AM

Thanks for the nice welcome guys (parrots and fluffy bunnies are always appreciated)!

El Toro: Inshallah Wink I won't be the last Chechen to visit the forum.

Reply #6 - June 08, 2017, 11:57 AM

Welcome. parrot

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #7 - June 09, 2017, 02:43 PM

Welcome  parrot.
    I've seen two Chechen ex-muslims in the subreddit exmuslim. They are probably quite young as the general reddit demographics is.
    The now-below-30 generation grew up completely unfamiliar with the history of the world 1900s-1980s. I grew up thinking that the Iranians have always worn qadors and the Afghans have always worn burqas. And recently I found some of my aquitances completely unfamiliar with part of our traditonal culture that is pre-Islamic or non-Islamic. The power of the Islamic revival movements is terrifying.
     Reply #8 - June 10, 2017, 01:57 AM

You've just reminded me of a Somali I was chatting with a while ago. I mentioned the gods of Somalia before islam, she was shocked to learn they had their own gods before islam. I found the reaction both amusing and disturbing for the exact reason you said.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #9 - July 09, 2017, 12:56 AM

Hey, I'm a Chechen too  (I'm way younger than you though). Smiley
    Welcome to the community  parrot

I completely agree with the points you made on our culture but I think having to "give up" oneself's culture can actually make a person more open minded (I do like to see the bright side of things haha).

And I'm jealous of you for having a secular family, I'm not quite as lucky  lipsrsealed

Oh and what do you mean by revision and dissertation, are you still a student?  Huh?
    (I hope you passed).  Wink
     Reply #10 - July 09, 2017, 02:46 AM

Welcomeee  Smiley
     Reply #11 - July 11, 2017, 12:48 AM

Hi and Welcome...sorry not Checan I'm a Ex Muslim Pakistani Girl living in the UK.....what an advance vocabulary you have Roll Eyes
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »