Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Stephen Fry is under investigation for blasphemy in Ireland

(Read 1929 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Stephen Fry is under investigation for blasphemy in Ireland
     OP - May 11, 2017, 05:46 PM

Stephen Fry is under investigation  for blasphemy in Ireland  says news from independent.co.uk..

humanist Stephen Fry is under investigation by police in the Republic of Ireland for blasphemy is beyond a joke.

Fry’s alleged offence two years ago was to give an eloquent restatement of the classic theological argument known as “the problem of evil”: how can an all-loving God be responsible for a world that includes so much suffering, such as “bone cancer in children”, in his words? As one head of RE at a secondary school here in England tweeted, “I use this clip at GCSE & A Level for prob of evil. If RE teachers in Ireland have are they also ‘guilty’ of blasphemy?”

Debate and discussion over powerful and emotive topics like religion and belief are, by their nature, endlessly provocative. They are also vital, and when so many countries still try to use the force of law to shut down these discussions, we all risk intellectual impoverishment.

In England and Wales the blasphemy law was repealed in 2008. In Scotland and Northern Ireland blasphemy laws remain in place, although they have not been used in recent years. Perhaps we might not expect them to be – but then did we expect them to be in Ireland? And, similarly, Denmark this year decided to bring a prosecution under its blasphemy laws for the first time in 46 years.

Other European countries such as Italy, Austria, Poland and Turkey still have laws that are actively in use. In Greece, in 2014, Philippos Loizos was handed a ten-month suspended prison sentence for mocking up a picture of a Greek Orthodox patriarch, Elder Paisios, as a pasta dish. While in Russia, blasphemy laws were notoriously used to sentence the band Pussy Riot to hard labour after they performed in a Russian Orthodox Cathedral. This year they are also being used to prosecute a humanist blogger who filmed himself playing Pokémon Go in a church.

The most serious uses of blasphemy laws around the world are not in Europe, but in Islamic states, 13 of which punish blasphemy by death. These include Mohamed Cheikh Ould M’kheitir in Mauritania, charged with “insulting the prophet” for an article challenging slavery; humanist Ahmadreza Djalali, who worked as a Professor in Brussels but is now sentenced to death in his native Iran; and Saudi Arabia, which just last week sentenced Ahmad Al Shamri to death for “atheism”, while others such as Raif Badawi also sit on death row.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-3nPv6bhCE

well that is what that link  says.. that is indeed FUCKING JOKE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-suvkwNYSQo

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #1 - May 11, 2017, 06:07 PM

Irish police halt investigation of Stephen Fry for blasphemy
    Police could not find enough people outraged at actor’s anti-God remarks on TV after only one viewer complained

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2017/may/09/irish-police-halt-prosecution-of-stephen-fry-for-blasphemy
     Reply #2 - May 11, 2017, 06:41 PM

Disgusting they even installed a blasphemy law.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #3 - May 11, 2017, 08:19 PM

Irish police halt investigation of Stephen Fry for blasphemy   Police could not find enough people outraged at actor’s anti-God remarks on TV after only one viewer complained

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2017/may/09/irish-police-halt-prosecution-of-stephen-fry-for-blasphemy

What   that means is ONE IDIOT COMPLAINED  on that interview video so Ireland police sprung into action ..but if enough idiots complains on his interview then he could be arrested and prosecuted ..

That is indeed disgusting.,

the worse is,   the god of these idiots so powerless and their faith/faith books sayings  is so shaky  one fellow criticism of their god shakes their faith and  these fools do not realize the power of their powerless god..

Richard Dawkins letter to irishtimes  on Stephen Fry, blasphemy and the law

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/richard-dawkins-on-stephen-fry-blasphemy-and-the-law-1.3077119

Sir, – As a gesture of solidarity with Stephen Fry, I quote a sentence from my book, The God Delusion:

“The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.”

Every one of these adjectives is amply documented, with full biblical citations, in Dan Barker’s book, God: The Most Unpleasant Character in All Fiction. I shall be giving a public lecture in the National Concert Hall, Dublin, on June 12th, and I shall therefore be available for arrest on a charge of blasphemy.

– Yours, etc,
    RICHARD DAWKINS,
    New College,
    Oxford.

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #4 - June 08, 2017, 07:36 AM

For fuck's sake
    A member of the public, who asked not to be identified, said he made the complaint against Fry more than two years ago at Ennis garda station in County Clare.

“I told the garda I wanted to report Fry for uttering blasphemy and RTÉ for publishing/broadcasting it and that I believed these were criminal offences under the Defamation Act 2009.

“The garda then took a formal written statement from me in which I quoted Fry’s comments in detail. This written statement mentioned both Fry and RTÉ specifically.”

Advertisement

He said he was asked by the garda if he had been personally offended by the programme and if he wished to include this in the written statement.

“I told the garda that I did not want to include this as I had not personally been offended by Fry’s comments – I added that I simply believed that the comments made by Fry on RTÉ were criminal blasphemy and that I was doing my civic duty by reporting a crime.”

After hearing nothing for 18 months, the complainant wrote to the head of the Irish police, Commissioner Noirín O’Sullivan, “asking if the crime I reported was being followed up. A few weeks later I got a standard ‘we have received your letter’ from her secretary.”

But recently the man was contacted by a detective from Donnybrook garda station in Dublin (the same suburb where RTÉ is headquartered) to say they were looking into the blasphemy claim. “He said he might have to meet me to take a new more detailed statement.”

At the time of the initial broadcast, Fry spoke about the matter on BBC Radio 4’s Today Show. “I was astonished that it caused so viral an explosion on Twitter and elsewhere. I’m most pleased that it’s got people talking,” he said.

“I was merely saying things that many finer heads than mine have said for hundreds of years, as far back as the Greeks ... I never wished to offend anybody who is individually devout or pious, and indeed many Christians have been in touch with me to say that they are very glad that things should be talked about.”

The host of the The Meaning Of Life programme, Gay Byrne, said “Of course [Fry] hadn’t wished to cause offence. But that’s what the internet is for, controversy, debate and people’s opinions.”

So according to the person who filed the complaint, s/he wasn't bothered. I can only hope the reaction from this makes the Irish gov rethink this law.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #5 - June 09, 2017, 10:50 AM

Insanity.

''Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live'. So saying a God who writes that is a douche isn't allowed, because it hurts the Abrahamic feelings? They are allowed to insult my religion though, by saying witchcraft is wicked?

Welcome back to the middle ages Ireland!..

One has to have been a fool to become wise
     Reply #6 - June 10, 2017, 01:59 AM

Report the church for blasphemy against witchcraft.

Reply #7 - June 10, 2017, 09:51 AM

Report the church for blasphemy against witchcraft.

Cheesy Guess you have a point there. Glad I don't live in Ireland for now  Wink

One has to have been a fool to become wise
     Reply #8 - June 10, 2017, 04:06 PM

That's the silly thing about it. You can argue every religion blasphemes against every other. What if I report an imam for blasphemy because he reads from the quran that Jesus was never crucified but that allah switched him with someone else, tricked the christians, and that the bible is corrupt? How is that not blaspheming?

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »