Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Eating non halal non zabiha

(Read 3226 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Eating non halal non zabiha
     OP - May 05, 2017, 12:16 AM

Hi,

I'm in the middle of questioning and understanding what Islam is really about, I guess I'm really not a Muslim anymore as I have major issues with much of the fundamentals of Islam, but saying that still makes me feel terribly guilty. One of the things that is really holding me back is eating non halal food. I've never had anything non zabiha and always read the ingredients on everything I buy. I do want to start eating non halal food but I'm apprehensive as to where or how to start. To be honest I am not sure I could do it consciously, I'd rather it happen by 'accident.' How can I begin my journey of non halal? Would anybody be kind enough to help me please? Either online or in person please? You can  email at jaiboi500@googlmail.com
    Thanks

Jai
     Reply #1 - May 05, 2017, 01:12 AM

I have no idea how you would eat something by accident.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #2 - May 05, 2017, 04:14 AM

Hi, Jaiboi. I can understand what you are going through.
       I’m from a secular society where halal food is considered the bottom line; pretty much everything else can be forgiven as the secular part but not this (neither the sexual issues but I was a prude and took that as self-evident).

In those years that I became truly devout, I found that attitude deeply questionable. Eating none halal food is not even a major sin in Islam and could be forgiven under certain circumstances. And traditionally my people have used pork, pig milk and other weird animals for medicine use, so this frenzy that people wouldn’t even walk past a non halal restaurant lest they breath in something, or that they wouldn't buy vegetables from non-Muslim groceries, is quite new. And personally I don’t think there is anything immoral about it. The Jews and Christians have different rules and they still go to heaven.

I have been laughed and bullied for observing dietary rules, missed a lot of parties, endured incredibly terrible food, and have survived on fruits for days on different occasions. Even when my faith in Islam faded and eventually came into naught, I still had difficulty breaking it. ( I have broken a lot of it by now.)

I used to berate myself on this but I later learned that our ability to feel disgust is one of our most important primitive instincts and have more influence on our lives than most of us would give credit for. And when it comes to food, we make some of the most irrational decisions in our lives. Since I wouldn’t eat a lizard even if it is written in hadith that it is halal (no offence to those who do), my preference to the diet that I was raised in doesn’t mean that I’m still clinging on to superstitions.

So my advice would be, relax and take time. The readings about disgust are not in English or I would have recommended to you. Maybe you can find some and accept the fact that we don’t always make rational decisions.
     Reply #3 - May 05, 2017, 06:32 AM

Do you only eat halal-slaughtered meat? Because I started off with chicken and beef that wasn't halal slaughtered. Then I stopped looking if the candy etc had gelatine. From that, I tried eating pork. Did a couple of times, but I just can't. I do eat it sometimes, like 4 times a year or something. Usually if it's something delicious like procioutto, on a high quality pizza Tongue . Last time though I got sick (it was a Swedish specialty with pig liver *urgh*), and vowed never to touch pork again.

Alcomohol is never wrong  Afro but my lifestyle allows me to dring once every other month, so it's not that often it happens...

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #4 - May 06, 2017, 03:26 AM

Welcome to the forum Jaiboi, have a rabbit!  bunny

Start eating what you feel comfortable with. That's what worked for me!  Afro

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #5 - May 06, 2017, 03:12 PM

parrot

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #6 - May 07, 2017, 12:42 AM

I still don't really eat anything from a pig as not eating it for my whole life has sort of put me off it, and also its not as nice as some people say it is. I don't mind salami etc but not ham or bacon. I just don't think its all that special. I prefer chicken over any other meat, but now I don't look for only halal chicken. Makes buying food so much easier.

Haven't found any alcohol I really like either. Beer smells so bad and tastes awful. Wine smells like vinegar. I have had non alcoholic cider and if the real stuff tasted similar I'd give it a go, but honestly happy not to drink as its not exactly healthy lol.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »